Just bought HC2150 but having some issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By medeor
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just bought HC2150 but having some issues

I just bought Epson HC2150 but I'm not sure if I made the right decision. My room is around 11x11 feet and it has a high ceiling. Also, the color of my wall is white. Since my room is small I can only get the projector as far as 7 feet away from the wall. If I get the right equipment I can get it as far as 10 feet away but I'm not sure if that will solve my issues, which are

1. The light that comes out of the projector brightens the room too much. I can get the room very dark but I can see around the room very well even in the darkest scene. Is this usually the case in LCD projectors. Or does the same thing happen in all the projectors?

2. The blacks are not very good. Even the darkest black still feels gray

3. When I put in a different angle and correct it with a keystone, the actual projection is not adjusted but the image inside it gets adjusted. So I have a weird triangular black background (which looks gray) around the image. Is that because the keystone is digital. Does the keystone work this way in all the projectors?

4) It takes 10-20 seconds to launch. Is that normal?
medeor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
I just bought Epson HC2150 but I'm not sure if I made the right decision. My room is around 11x11 feet and it has a high ceiling. Also, the color of my wall is white. Since my room is small I can only get the projector as far as 7 feet away from the wall. If I get the right equipment I can get it as far as 10 feet away but I'm not sure if that will solve my issues, which are

1. The light that comes out of the projector brightens the room too much. I can get the room very dark but I can see around the room very well even in the darkest scene. Is this usually the case in LCD projectors. Or does the same thing happen in all the projectors?

2. The blacks are not very good. Even the darkest black still feels gray

3. When I put in a different angle and correct it with a keystone, the actual projection is not adjusted but the image inside it gets adjusted. So I have a weird triangular black background (which looks gray) around the image. Is that because the keystone is digital. Does the keystone work this way in all the projectors?

4) It takes 10-20 seconds to launch. Is that normal?
1. How large is the screen?
From 10' the diagonal can go from 64 to 104". Even at 104" this unit is pretty bright.
Try the lower lamp modes (Eco) and presets (Cinema).

An ND filter can be used to reduce the brightness.

In a room with white walls, most projectors will light up the room. The solution is paints or fabric.

2. In this price range the black levels are poor. They can be improved with a grey screen or neutral grey paint. Also with dimming the projector as in point 1.
Eliminating wall reflections will also help with the black level.
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

3. Not sure what you mean. Is the image a rectangle after keystone correction?

Keystone should not be used since it's software and will degrade the image. The projector should be parallel to the ground.

Why is the projector tilted anyway?


4. Yes.


Projectors with ample lens shift and with better black levels, plus an iris (that will also help with black levels) are the HC3100/3700. If you want to switch to 4K there are the HC3200/3800. They are also bright.

If you can set the projector level at the right height, there are other options without lens shift.
noob00224 is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,407
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 589
A small room with all white walls is very bad for front projection as you noted. Digital Keystone correction should never be used for the reason you describe and it also reduces the resolution of the picture. Nothing will help with the projector lighting up the room except maybe an expensive ALR screen but it is only a brandade. Covering or painting the walls a darker color is the most effective and cheapest solution. You also need to select a projector that is designed to fit your throw/screen size/placement requirement. The 2150 is very limited as to where it can be placed to avoid keystone correction.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you guys, I appreciate your answers. As I watched some stuff I actually realized that it's not that bad. Only the keystone issue is challenging and since this projector is actually projecting in a relatively vertically centered way I have to position it in a higher level in front of me and it kind of distracts me while watching movies. That's why I tried tilting it but since the digital keystone has those problems I should either come into terms with it or find another placement. Overall it's a good projector but I wish it was more flexible in terms of placement and it was better in the black coloir.
medeor is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
Thank you guys, I appreciate your answers. As I watched some stuff I actually realized that it's not that bad. Only the keystone issue is challenging and since this projector is actually projecting in a relatively vertically centered way I have to position it in a higher level in front of me and it kind of distracts me while watching movies. That's why I tried tilting it but since the digital keystone has those problems I should either come into terms with it or find another placement. Overall it's a good projector but I wish it was more flexible in terms of placement and it was better in the black coloir.

For only a small increase the Epson HC3100/3700 can be had.
They have an iris so better blacks, but also lens shift for flexible placement.
noob00224 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,693
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
You have a LOT of issues which you should have addressed prior to making a purchase, and you really are coming to terms with all of them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
I just bought Epson HC2150 but I'm not sure if I made the right decision. My room is around 11x11 feet and it has a high ceiling. Also, the color of my wall is white. Since my room is small I can only get the projector as far as 7 feet away from the wall. If I get the right equipment I can get it as far as 10 feet away but I'm not sure if that will solve my issues
Obviously, you should get the projector as far back as possible. This will get it out of your line of sight. You didn't say how tall your walls are, but in a smaller room, you want that screen to be fairly low. Just a foot or two off the floor. So, calling it a 100" to 120" diagonal image size would be typical if you are seated at the back of the room (10' eyes to screen).

I think you received some good answers already, but to emphasize a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
2. The blacks are not very good. Even the darkest black still feels gray
The 2150 has some of the weakest black levels on the market. Not horrible, but not at all helped by the room you put this into. The Epson 3100/3200 will have much stronger blacks.
Best may be a refurbished Epson 5040 if you can swing that budget. But, under $1,000 you aren't paying for GREAT black levels. They are decent on the projector, but you are doing absolutely nothing to improve them with a white room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
3. When I put in a different angle and correct it with a keystone, the actual projection is not adjusted but the image inside it gets adjusted. So I have a weird triangular black background (which looks gray) around the image. Is that because the keystone is digital. Does the keystone work this way in all the projectors?
Yes, this is exactly why you NEVER use digital keystone correction. Please look up what LENS SHIFT is. While the Epson 3100 offers decent lens shift, the Epson 5040 offers FAR more lens shift and is ideal for rooms where a lot of lens shift may be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
4) It takes 10-20 seconds to launch. Is that normal?
Lamps inside projectors take 20-30 seconds or more to power on. They take about 5 minutes or so to reach full brightness and have a stable image. It then takes about two minutes for them to properly and fully power off.

The key takeaway here is that you really need to do some homework on some basic terms such as keystone correction vs. lens shift. You need to know the offset of any projector you get if it doesn't have lens shift. DLP projectors generally deliver better black levels in that price range. So the BenQ HT2050A or HT1070 or 2150ST will have better black levels than the Epson 2150. But, the Epson 3100 has comparable black levels and includes a lot of zoom range and lens shift which may make it ideal for your space. But, we don't know your space, you do.

You never mentioned what size image you are projecting in the room. That could help everyone out a great deal.

Finally, if this isn't a rental, and you are ceiling mounting and the rest.... PAINT THE ROOM! It doesn't have to be black or super dark, but anything that is NOT white will help. Medium browns are very 'friendly' to others and can tremendously improve your image quality.

The bottom line remains that $20 in paint is the single greatest improvement that should be made to any projection space.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you so much again for your answers. You're right that I should have done more research and measured everything. I didn't know about Epson 3100 but it seems to be a perfect fit for my needs. I mainly need a projector that I can either put on a low table or behind the sofa/bed, so I don't want to mount it. The problem with 2150 is that it stays too high on a table and distracts me as it doesn't have a very large lens shift and its vertical offset is positive. I also thought about BenQ HT2050a since it would stay lower and it apparently has deeper blacks but its screen size is not very flexible and could be too large if I put it behind my bed in the future. It has also lower brightness, which could be a plus for me as it wouldn't light up the room, but I'm not sure if I can still get good picture with such low brightness. That's why I feel like maybe I should return 2150 and get 3100. I also heard 3100 has some auto iris lag issue but I'm not sure if it's too noticeable.

My question is what would you suggest? HT2050a or Epson 3100?

Last edited by medeor; 12-17-2019 at 08:26 PM.
medeor is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sorry, I can't edit my post but I actually meant HT2050A, not HT2150.
medeor is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-17-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post


The 2150 has some of the weakest black levels on the market. Not horrible, but not at all helped by the room you put this into. The Epson 3100/3200 will have much stronger blacks.
The HC2150 compares well to the HC3800/TW7100:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
Cinema mode contrast = 1700-1 native

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/
Cinema mode = ~1600-1 native.

The above numbers are very similar to the HC3100/3200.

The HC2150 appears to have the same or very similar 3LCD modules as the HC3100/3200.
DunMunro is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
Thank you so much again for your answers. You're right that I should have done more research and measured everything. I didn't know about Epson 3100 but it seems to be a perfect fit for my needs. I mainly need a projector that I can either put on a low table or behind the sofa/bed, so I don't want to mount it. The problem with 2150 is that it stays too high on a table and distracts me as it doesn't have a very large lens shift and its vertical offset is positive. I also thought about BenQ HT2150 since it would stay lower and it apparently has deeper blacks but its screen size is not very flexible and could be too large if I put it behind my bed in the future. It has also lower brightness, which could be a plus for me as it wouldn't light up the room, but I'm not sure if I can still get good picture with such low brightness. That's why I feel like maybe I should return 2150 and get 3100. I also heard 3100 has some auto iris lag issue but I'm not sure if it's too noticeable.

My question is what would you suggest? HT2150 or Epson 3100?
The HT2150ST might be also be worth looking at as you can place it close to the screen on a low table. Also the Optoma UHL55 is a compact LED 4K projector that's on sale now. It would be well matched to your room's characteristics.

You might consider using a coffee table with a lower shelf and placing the projector on the lower shelf projecting from there.
DunMunro is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just ordered 3100 on Amazon for $700 (yes it’s on sale!) Hope it won’t disappoint me
AV_Integrated likes this.
medeor is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,693
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by medeor View Post
Just ordered 3100 on Amazon for $700 (yes it’s on sale!) Hope it won’t disappoint me
If you setup the 2150 at all and did enjoy what that was giving you, by all accounts, the 3100 does better. So, yeah, you should be pretty darn stoked.
medeor likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off