Fan noise from Epson 5650 (2150?) when in in Ceiling projection mode - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fan noise from Epson 5650 (2150?) when in in Ceiling projection mode

I recently bought an Epson 5650 projector and is very happy with the picture and noise when the projector is in Eco mode placed on a table. After some time I mounted my projector in the ceiling, and it seems for some reason the fan speeds up when the projector is set in "ceiling" projection mode. I have found other people with the same issue, but my questions - is this normal for everyone? Is there a way stop this from happening (e.g service menu)? I have never seen such behavior on a projector before, so I was very surprised to see this. I was actually considering adding a resistor to the fan to slow it down, if I do so does anyone know what will the impact be, just shorter lamp hours or will I burn the LCD's? I don't get why ceiling mount should require more cooling!? Maybe I have to hang up a small shelf on the wall where it can be on "normal" mode... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked: 3114
Since heat rises, the air temperature near the ceiling is higher than it is closer to the floor. That means that the air being used to cool a ceiling mounted projector is warmer and less effective at cooling than air being used to cool a table mounted projector. Adding a resistor to slow down a projector cooling fan from the speed the projector manufacturer programmed it to run for effective cooling is not a good idea.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Since heat rises, the air temperature near the ceiling is higher than it is closer to the floor. That means that the air being used to cool a ceiling mounted projector is warmer and less effective at cooling than air being used to cool a table mounted projector. Adding a resistor to slow down a projector cooling fan from the speed the projector manufacturer programmed it to run for effective cooling is not a good idea.
Theoretically I understand the ”heat rises” argument, but in practice there is less than one degree difference (I actually just measured😊) – and putting the projector on a high shelf in “normal” mode will have the projector in the same height. The fan speed is not “heat” triggered, as soon as you put it in “ceiling” mode the fan speed rises - if you have it hanging upside down and put it in “normal” mode it will slow down the fans, hence the noise. Have it hanging in the open under the ceiling should give it more space to ventilate, than having it flat on a table..?

Back to the question, is this normal? And did anyone find a solution to reduce the fan speed or the noise when in Ceiling mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked: 3114
I've personally experienced temperatures near the ceiling noticeably higher than at floor level. But of course that can vary quite a bit depending on many variables. As far as projector fan speed going up when put in ceiling mode I've never seen it specifically mentioned in any review or user comment on any AV forum. If it were me I would contact Epson directly and ask if this is a design feature or a defect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
2150 , 5650 , ceiling , Epson , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page