BenQ HT2050 shadow / discoloration at the top of the image. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JS2288

post #1 of 3 Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question BenQ HT2050 shadow / discoloration at the top of the image.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Looong time lurker, but I've been trying to figure this one out for a few days and decided to reach out to some of the experts here.

Quick backstory. Our BenQ HT2050 had a really bad dust blob issue and we went back and forth with BenQ trying to RMA it. (For more than a month.) Finally gave up and cleaned it out myself. Of course BenQ finally sends an RMA label a week later, but I never sent the projector to them since I had already cleaned it. All was well up until about a week ago when a handful of spots and a "shadow" started to creep up. (I thought this might have been a hair.) So, I cracked it opened, cleaned it out, and the spots were gone. However, the shadow is still definitely there. Top right of the image. I've attached a picture to this post.

From what I've read, this is PROBABLY a light path issue. Although it looks different enough from the few examples I've seen to make me wonder. The tunnel looks fine (from what I can actually see of it), mirrors look fine, lens looks fine etc. Next step I guess is to take out the tunnel and make sure it's still solid ... but I wanted to hopefully get a few opinions before I do so. I'm more than comfortable working on it if needed. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shadow.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2653332  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-14-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2288 View Post
Any ideas?
nope. You're already more advanced than most folks here, having taken the whole thing apart. Thanks for sharing the photo by the way. I've been looking into brightness uniformity lately. Here's mine..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191209_000556_1576372714405.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2654184  
post #3 of 3 Old 12-14-2019, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
nope. You're already more advanced than most folks here, having taken the whole thing apart. Thanks for sharing the photo by the way. I've been looking into brightness uniformity lately. Here's mine..

Thanks for the reply, and your uniformity looks pretty decent. Used to be a BIG pet peeve of mine (especially with computer monitors), but I've tried to let some imperfections go.

Also, a quick update for anyone who might stumble on this thread in the future and is having the same problem. I took the projector apart again and shined a flashlight through the color wheel and light path - while looking into the lens from the outside. I could see a faint shadow and made a VERY slight adjustment to one of the mirrors and how tight the housing was "held" together. Happy to report that it worked! So it's not always the light tunnel. Might just be a mirror or the housing getting ever so slightly out of alignment.
NxNW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page