ZH403 HDR Laser projector - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #91 of 107 Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Z View Post
I just bought a ZH406 and found the color a bit off watching movies in SDR. Mainly blue looks a bit overcook and purple. It is relatively easy to fix by dropping the blue hue under "color matching". But the default for HDR is totally unwatchable. The whole picture looks pale in a yellowish and purplish tone. So I hope other owners of this or any Optoma laser projectors who find their HDR picture looking good can share your RGBCMYW values under "color matching" and RGB Gain/Bias so I can give it a try. I bet nothing can make my HDR picture look worse than what I am having now.
I've been very curious to hear more reviews on these recent Optoma 1080p laser projectors but there's been little online discussion on if after tweaking if its worth it, or for that matter are they superior to the lamp RGBW colorwheel approaches where the white segment boosts lumins with a hit in quality.

Fingers crossed you are able to get some settings that help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does anyone know what the difference is between this and HZ1090hdr announced not too long ago?
post #93 of 107 Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK_HT View Post
Does anyone know what the difference is between this and HZ1090hdr announced not too long ago?
Throw ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 107 Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Remember to set the colour temperature first (Typically D65) before adjusting anything else.

The HDR IQ sounds like an HDMI issue and/or a colour space issue. Generally speaking you want YCBCR output from the device and it's output info should match the input into the ZH406 (Menu->info). ZH406 colour space should be set to auto.

What is the source video device and is there any other devices in the HDMI path? Remember that you're passing a 4K HDR signal and that it can require a full 18gbps signal through the cables and any devices, such as a receiver.

I mainly use Shield TV but also tried Panasonic UHD BD player with same result. I can see HDR mode is engaged on the Optoma. Under the HDR mode Gamma is disabled. I have also tried 4k bluray @ 60Hz with no problem but then color adjustment is also disabled. I believe it is not easy to get a good result for HDR with all those major functions disabled. I have somehow tweaked the HDR color to a watchable level but doubt that it can do better than SDR anytime. The long laser lamp life and 3D brightness is all this projector is about.
post #95 of 107 Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
I mainly use Shield TV but also tried Panasonic UHD BD player with same result. I can see HDR mode is engaged on the Optoma. Under the HDR mode Gamma is disabled. I have also tried 4k bluray @ 60Hz with no problem but then color adjustment is also disabled. I believe it is not easy to get a good result for HDR with all those major functions disabled. I have somehow tweaked the HDR color to a watchable level but doubt that it can do better than SDR anytime. The long laser lamp life and 3D brightness is all this projector is about.
Are you using a UB420 or UB820? When you playback 4K HDR BDs best quality is at 12bit 24hz, 4:4:4. ZH406 color space should be set to auto.

However, with the UB420/820 you can set it to convert HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020 or SDR REC709, which will allow full access to all controls.

Last edited by DunMunro; 07-01-2020 at 10:39 PM.
post #96 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
I've been very curious to hear more reviews on these recent Optoma 1080p laser projectors but there's been little online discussion on if after tweaking if its worth it, or for that matter are they superior to the lamp RGBW colorwheel approaches where the white segment boosts lumins with a hit in quality.

Fingers crossed you are able to get some settings that help!

I have put 100 hours on mine so far so I can share some thoughts.

RBE and Black Level must be its weakness for such a bright business class projector, but contrast and black is actually pretty good for casual viewing of youtube and sports. Color is better than I first thought after some tweaking. HDR on the other hand needs more works. And I doubt if it can ever do any better than SDR.

I bought it mainly for 3D and it shines on both brightness and 3D motions. Too bad Gamma control is grey out on 3D mode so any adjustment from the playback device should help. RBE and Black Level is a nonissue behind the 3D glasses.

The lens performance is great for such a low budget laser projector. Focus and uniformity from corner to corner stays sharp and bright. My all glass Benq W3000 (HT4050) simply fail to compete.

I always thought all DLP Link 3D is the same with a red cast covering the image. This is my first Optoma and I am genuinely surprised to see the tone is neutral running both DLP and RF 3D. That makes it unnecessary to go RF to get a better 3D image.

Spec said 3D SBS mode only works in 1080i or 720p at 50 or 60 Hz. Lucky it is not the case and it works at the usual 1080p at 24p and 60p.

It has 10 levels of BrilliantColor adjustments. I found it not helping with color much but turns the picture tone yellow so I just leave it low. This function works much better on Benq with a simple option of on and off.

Dynamic Black is something I love and hate. It does bring out the best contrast and makes dim scenes easier to the eyes. It can also do fade to total darkness fast enough to give a sense of infinite contrast. But the one catch is that there is no choice of level and it will totally cut me off in darkness and ruin everything during dim scenes. Hopefully this can be fixed by firmware in the future.

I can hear the fan running but never intrusive. Better than my Benq I must say.

It runs pretty cool to the touch and power down in an instant with no fan running. I wonder how it can be done for such high brightness in a tiny case.

That is all I have to say by now. Hope other owners here can share their RGBCYMW values to make my HDR mode useful.
GregK and DunMunro like this.
post #97 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Are you using a UB420 or UB820? When you playback 4K HDR BDs best quality is at 12bit 24hz, 4:4:4. ZH406 color space should be set to auto.

However, with the UB420/820 you can set it to convert HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020 or SDR REC709, which will allow full access to all controls.

Yes the Optoma is set to auto for color space and HDR mode is clearly engaged. I have the UB420 and tried different output settings before with same poor color results. As I also have a JVC connected for serious movie viewing and its HDR picture is great so I really don't want to change everything to SDR just to cater for the Optoma. And the Shield TV I used the most can't convert HDR to SDR anyway.

I have spent nights messing around with the RGBCYMW color settings on the Optoma and getting some positive results on HDR so I believe it can be done if the values is right and probably it is the right direction to solve the problem. May be Optoma just treated the ZH406 as a business projector and not paying much attention to how its HDR picture should look. They are happy as long as a picture is shown with 4K signal input.
GregK and DunMunro like this.
post #98 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the Optoma is set to auto for color space and HDR mode is clearly engaged. I have the UB420 and tried different output settings before with same poor color results. As I also have a JVC connected for serious movie viewing and its HDR picture is great so I really don't want to change everything to SDR just to cater for the Optoma. And the Shield TV I used the most can't convert HDR to SDR anyway.

I have spent nights messing around with the RGBCYMW color settings on the Optoma and getting some positive results on HDR so I believe it can be done if the values is right and probably it is the right direction to solve the problem. May be Optoma just treated the ZH406 as a business projector and not paying much attention to how its HDR picture should look. They are happy as long as a picture is shown with 4K signal input.
It's a bit strange because the HZ39HDR which is marketed as a home cinema projector, is a rebadged ZH403 and they seem to share the same firmware, which in turn, appears identical to the ZH406. I find it odd that Optoma is locking out access to alternate gamma selections when in HDR Mode, which is unlike their bulb based projectors. Perhaps @Tuan or @Optoma Dude can take a look at this.
GregK likes this.
post #99 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So would you recommend this pj for exclusive 3d viewing (I have a jvc for 2d)? I used to have a Benq W1070. How would the 3d compare (brightness, contrast, etc)?
post #100 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
So would you recommend this pj for exclusive 3d viewing (I have a jvc for 2d)? I used to have a Benq W1070. How would the 3d compare (brightness, contrast, etc)?
I am in a similar situation as you. I also own a Benq W1070 and just replaced it with the ZH406. The Benq has enough brightness in 2D but lacking in 3D to fill my 150" screen. It is good for viewing 3D animation type of bright materials but not others. 3D motions is pretty good and solid after firmware update 1.08 while it can accept 24p 3D SBS/OU signals.

I found the handling of 3D with JVC is pretty bad. Their glasses are the most expensive yet I can easily see flickers and wobbles here and there. An object is like breaking up in motion which gives me nothing but 3D sickness. It has to do with the low refresh rate which is a real pity because it has all the controls to crank up a bright and beautiful 3D pictures but killed only by its 3D motions.

So my dream 3D machine is one using DLP with high brightness and the option to use RF glasses. The Optoma ZH406 is all that and the long laser life with consistent output is an added bonus.

It is still a gamble because not all DLP are made equal and no audition before buying. I like the Benq W1070 a lot and I once thought the Benq W3000 (HT4050) with an all glass lens can fix all its rough edges. Turns out 3D on it is all mess up and unwatchable.

I really can't fault the 3D handling on the Optoma. Without a red cast over the DLP-Link image like the Benq did I found no difference between using RF and DLP-Link glasses. RBE can be obvious in 2D but none I can see behind 3D glasses. Black looks deep and contrast is high. I would say it even beats 2D in dim scenes. My only gripe is that Gamma is disabled under 3D mode so control over the picture is limited to Brightness, Contrast, Laser Power (50 to 100%) and BrilliantColor (1 to 10).

So yes I would highly recommend it for exclusive 3D viewing and more. It is perfect for long hours of youtube, TV and sports no matter day or night. Color is up there with Benq which is very good indeed. Black actually looks deep with high contrast in all except dim movie scenes. Focus stays sharp and no fine adjustment is needed since first setup which is not the case with Benq. No light spill to the sides like the Benq either. RBE is less with 50% laser power but still there. I bet Optoma can easily made one for home theater use based on this in the near future.
DunMunro likes this.
post #101 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My only gripe is that Gamma is disabled under 3D mode so control over the picture is limited to Brightness, Contrast, Laser Power (50 to 100%) and BrilliantColor (1 to 10).

You can use the cheat codes on the remote (at least on most Optoma PJs) and enable the ISF modes, which includes an ISF 3D mode which will give a bit more control. On my UHD50 I discovered that 3D gamma would equal which ever gamma was selected in a prior non-3D SDR session (maybe this will work for HDR mode as well?). This allows me to use gamma = 1.8 or Video which gives a lot more brightness.
GregK and Turbo Z like this.

Last edited by DunMunro; 07-02-2020 at 07:43 PM.
post #102 of 107 Old 07-02-2020, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you very much for your thorough reply. Sounds like we pretty much have taken very similar projector paths. I agree with you on the jvc and benq so sounds like the Optoma laser is just what I have been waiting for with 3d.

Is this model pretty much the same: Optoma HZ39HDR? It's around $40 cheaper on Amazon.

Edit: Which dlp link glasses do you recommend?

Last edited by johnsmith808; 07-02-2020 at 07:47 PM.
post #103 of 107 Old 07-03-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You can use the cheat codes on the remote (at least on most Optoma PJs) and enable the ISF modes, which includes an ISF 3D mode which will give a bit more control. On my UHD50 I discovered that 3D gamma would equal which ever gamma was selected in a prior non-3D SDR session (maybe this will work for HDR mode as well?). This allows me to use gamma = 1.8 or Video which gives a lot more brightness.

Thanks for the advise. Will try and see if it works on mine.

Just tried the remote sequence found online (off up down up up) without success. Could you please share yours and see if it works on this machine.

Last edited by Turbo Z; 07-04-2020 at 01:13 AM.
post #104 of 107 Old 07-03-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
Thank you very much for your thorough reply. Sounds like we pretty much have taken very similar projector paths. I agree with you on the jvc and benq so sounds like the Optoma laser is just what I have been waiting for with 3d.

Is this model pretty much the same: Optoma HZ39HDR? It's around $40 cheaper on Amazon.

Edit: Which dlp link glasses do you recommend?
I see the Optoma HZ39HDR is similar to ZH403 which lacks the vertical lens shift, RF 3D Sync port and 500 lumens lower than ZH406. I wonder if there are any real differences between their Home Entertainment and Business projector other than names.

I found many late DLP-Link Glasses from ebay works pretty well. I have some early ones and they just seems that tiny bit dimmer with less contrast. I also have a few pairs of Benqs. They made both battery and rechargeable models. First I hate using batteries but now I start worrying about those rechargeable as some starts to show signs of refuse charging. Also the Benq use a different usb plug which is smaller than usual and I have to pay extra attention to keep it in a safe place.

One other thing is that ebay ones can change left/right eyes (sync invert) on the glasses by one click. Can't do that with Benqs. Does not seem to be a problem until I bought the Benq W3000 (HT4050). Its 3D is a mess and sometimes changing the sync invert on the projector back and forth can help to stabilize the picture. But then I can't use the Benq glasses with this Benq projector because their glasses can't invert the left/right picture back to follow the projector. Ridiculous I must say.

There are 2 from ebay that I particularly like. The black one is simple, light and cheap. The silver one is solidly built and removable to clip on top of your own glasses. Their PQ is comparable to Benq if not better. But then Benqs should have the best standard for the price and those from ebay may suffer from quality control between batches. I bet there are dozens of factories making them so even two look similar may actually come from different factories and perform differently. I have 2 pairs of the black and one obviously do better than the other so there is no guarantee for those no name brands. Lucky even the worst is not bad at all.

Usually I prefer RF glasses but with this Optoma it is not an issue to worry about anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D glasses.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2752660  
post #105 of 107 Old 07-04-2020, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I see the Optoma HZ39HDR is similar to ZH403 which lacks the vertical lens shift, RF 3D Sync port and 500 lumens lower than ZH406. I wonder if there are any real differences between their Home Entertainment and Business projector other than names.

I found many late DLP-Link Glasses from ebay works pretty well. I have some early ones and they just seems that tiny bit dimmer with less contrast. I also have a few pairs of Benqs. They made both battery and rechargeable models. First I hate using batteries but now I start worrying about those rechargeable as some starts to show signs of refuse charging. Also the Benq use a different usb plug which is smaller than usual and I have to pay extra attention to keep it in a safe place.

One other thing is that ebay ones can change left/right eyes (sync invert) on the glasses by one click. Can't do that with Benqs. Does not seem to be a problem until I bought the Benq W3000 (HT4050). Its 3D is a mess and sometimes changing the sync invert on the projector back and forth can help to stabilize the picture. But then I can't use the Benq glasses with this Benq projector because their glasses can't invert the left/right picture back to follow the projector. Ridiculous I must say.

There are 2 from ebay that I particularly like. The black one is simple, light and cheap. The silver one is solidly built and removable to clip on top of your own glasses. Their PQ is comparable to Benq if not better. But then Benqs should have the best standard for the price and those from ebay may suffer from quality control between batches. I bet there are dozens of factories making them so even two look similar may actually come from different factories and perform differently. I have 2 pairs of the black and one obviously do better than the other so there is no guarantee for those no name brands. Lucky even the worst is not bad at all.

Usually I prefer RF glasses but with this Optoma it is not an issue to worry about anymore.
Thank you once again for your input. I'll check those out. I also feel that often built in rechargeable batteries put a definite limit on the useful life of a product. But sometimes convenience and weight trump longevity.
post #106 of 107 Old 07-04-2020, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I believe the ZH403 and HZ39HDR are currently completely identical in terms of hardware and firmware. They don't have ISF modes. The only secret code is to get into the service menu which is POWER, UP, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, MENU, but there isn't really anything you can do in there.

There is supposed to be a firmware update coming to the HZ39HDR in early Q2 2020. It was probably delayed due to coronavirus. It is supposed to be adding enhanced gaming mode and official 120 Hz support. Hopefully it also adds a bunch of other home theatre firmware options.
DunMunro likes this.
post #107 of 107 Old 07-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjeys View Post
I believe the ZH403 and HZ39HDR are currently completely identical in terms of hardware and firmware. They don't have ISF modes. The only secret code is to get into the service menu which is POWER, UP, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, MENU, but there isn't really anything you can do in there.

There is supposed to be a firmware update coming to the HZ39HDR in early Q2 2020. It was probably delayed due to coronavirus. It is supposed to be adding enhanced gaming mode and official 120 Hz support. Hopefully it also adds a bunch of other home theatre firmware options.
Thanks for the info. I have my suspicion that this laser projector can't reach the level of color accuracy ISF required so the option is omitted. Going back to the Benq W3000 last night and amazed once again how great its color, black level, contrast and RBE free the picture is. I wonder if there is one single projector on earth that can do it all in spades. For now I have to hang 3 projectors on the ceiling to cover all the possible situations.

Last edited by Turbo Z; 07-04-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page