Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
See the review, note the price:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...-Road-Test.htm

is this a game changer?
Maybe for schools and businesses. Great lumens . Contrast isn't good. Not true 4K. Lens is not all glass. No lens shift. This is not a projector for home theater use. Even the reviewer notes the rainbow effect. This projector is not being marketed as a home Cinema projector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 61 Old 12-23-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
I don't think he means to make it an actual projector worth owning in the home market, but the idea that Optoma is putting out a laser light source DLP model for under $1,500.

I mean, their own UHZ65 is what... over 3 grand? But, here they have a laser engine for well under half that?

This is the end game IMO. Manufacturers trickling out new technologies as slowly as they possibly can to get as much out of consumers as they can over the years.

But, then they will come out with that sub $2,000 laser 4K DLP model and it will have half a dozen other issues with it.

I'm hopeful that in ten years we won't even be discussing lamp based projectors at all.

But, I hoped that would be the case when Casio first started putting out their laser/LED models about ten years ago as well.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I don't think he means to make it an actual projector worth owning in the home market, but the idea that Optoma is putting out a laser light source DLP model for under $1,500.

I mean, their own UHZ65 is what... over 3 grand? But, here they have a laser engine for well under half that?

This is the end game IMO. Manufacturers trickling out new technologies as slowly as they possibly can to get as much out of consumers as they can over the years.

But, then they will come out with that sub $2,000 laser 4K DLP model and it will have half a dozen other issues with it.

I'm hopeful that in ten years we won't even be discussing lamp based projectors at all.

But, I hoped that would be the case when Casio first started putting out their laser/LED models about ten years ago as well.
Yes a sub $10k laser projector would be amazing. My guess is JVC in 2 years starting at that price point with two higher priced options. But what do I know. LOL.

post #5 of 61 Old 12-23-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Maybe for schools and businesses. Great lumens . Contrast isn't good. Not true 4K. Lens is not all glass. No lens shift. This is not a projector for home theater use. Even the reviewer notes the rainbow effect. This projector is not being marketed as a home Cinema projector.

If you're not affected by RBE and can properly place the projector to fit you're room, I don't see why the ZH403 can't be used for home theater use. Especially when comparing it to other DLP projectors, including the 4K pixel shift projectors. Its best mode, RGB, pumps out 1072 lumens, very similar to the UHZ65's Reference mode which pumps out 1080 lumens. Both share the same light engine and RGBY color wheel.

The ZH403 with its .65" DC3 DLP 1080p chip will have better native contrast than all the DLP 4k projectors. The ZH403's dynamic contrast will also be better than most 4K DLP projectors due its 4x multiplier. It has a full set of CMS controls to achieve the best color performance possible.

The ZH403's input lag of 33ms is better than all of the 4K DLP projectors.

The ZH403, even if it has a plastic lens, has a better brightness uniformity than the BENQ HT3550.

The ZH403 with the same HDR modes as the UHZ65 and by it having the same laser light engine, should have similar performance. Which by reading the UHZ65 thread, is pretty good.
Has anybody compared the UHZ65's HDR performance to BENQ's HDR PRO projectors?

Also if you don't mind a longer throw and want vertical lens shift, there is the ZH406. Which retails for $1600. The only thing it gives up to the latest BENQ TK850 is sharpness.

With Viewsonic's 4K laser projector retailing for $2200 and Optoma releasing these low price HDR capable laser projector, I think the industry is starting to turn away from bulb projectors. We'll see in 2020.
DunMunro likes this.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #6 of 61 Old 12-23-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
See the review, note the price:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...-Road-Test.htm

is this a game changer?
I don't care if the light source is unicorn farts, a 1080P projector with mediocre contrast and rainbows for over $1000 is not for me. Although ... unicorn farts might be consistent with rainbows.

Seriously: Fast cycling and instant dimming of laser light sources should mean rainbows and poor FOFO contrast are inexcusable. And the marginal cost increase of XPR should make lack of 4k inexcusable as well. Buying a 1080P projector today makes as much sense as buying a 720P projector made ten years ago to pair with your new bluray player.
dreamstate likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #7 of 61 Old 12-24-2019, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Presentation preset with 3000 lumens is nice, but doesn't this mean that color lumens is lower?
The PX747 4K has 3500lm non green tainted but will much less color lumens.
Wouldn't this mean that something like a HC3800 would be brighter?
post #8 of 61 Old 12-24-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
If you're not affected by RBE and can properly place the projector to fit you're room, I don't see why the ZH403 can't be used for home theater use. Especially when comparing it to other DLP projectors, including the 4K pixel shift projectors. Its best mode, RGB, pumps out 1072 lumens, very similar to the UHZ65's Reference mode which pumps out 1080 lumens. Both share the same light engine and RGBY color wheel.

The ZH403 with its .65" DC3 DLP 1080p chip will have better native contrast than all the DLP 4k projectors. The ZH403's dynamic contrast will also be better than most 4K DLP projectors due its 4x multiplier. It has a full set of CMS controls to achieve the best color performance possible.

The ZH403's input lag of 33ms is better than all of the 4K DLP projectors.

The ZH403, even if it has a plastic lens, has a better brightness uniformity than the BENQ HT3550.

The ZH403 with the same HDR modes as the UHZ65 and by it having the same laser light engine, should have similar performance. Which by reading the UHZ65 thread, is pretty good.

Has anybody compared the UHZ65's HDR performance to BENQ's HDR PRO projectors?

Also if you don't mind a longer throw and want vertical lens shift, there is the ZH406. Which retails for $1600. The only thing it gives up to the latest BENQ TK850 is sharpness.

With Viewsonic's 4K laser projector retailing for $2200 and Optoma releasing these low price HDR capable laser projector, I think the industry is starting to turn away from bulb projectors. We'll see in 2020.
I am sure someone wanting a huge screen on a small budget will use this in their living room theater and will be reasonably happy with this projector. 90% of home theater enthusiasts would probably not be happy with the contrast and sharpness of this projector even if they could place it perfectly in their room and ignore the rainbows

post #9 of 61 Old 12-24-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5945
That's a very good price for a laser DLP with a .65 DC3 DMD. They have noticeably better native contrast vs. the budget .47 shift DMD's. We just ordered the 4500 lumen ZH06 model to replace an Optoma conference room projector that is on 10 hours a day and goes through a lamp every 3 months. The 5 year / 12,000 hour warranty on the light source is a great offering from the manufacturer. Sony and JVC don't offer this for their mega expensive laser projectors.

ZH06 also has the 3 pin VESA port for bring your own 3D transmitter. I have a ton of 3D content and will be sure to check this out.

I picked up a 5000 lumen Viewsonic with the same DMD. We use it in our living room that has a good amount of ambient light and this projector is a beast in torch mode.

it also has very bright 3D with no crosstalk.

noob00224 and DunMunro like this.
post #10 of 61 Old 12-24-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 466
I'm looking at replacing my W1070...and the ZH403 probably has the same/similar on/off and ANSI contrast plus better dynamic contrast, and HDR support as well. It is an extremely tempting package. The lack of 4K output hasn't seemed to phase the Epson users and DLP HDR is just about as sharp as Epson's pseudo 4K.
post #11 of 61 Old 12-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I'm looking at replacing my W1070...and the ZH403 probably has the same/similar on/off and ANSI contrast plus better dynamic contrast, and HDR support as well. It is an extremely tempting package. The lack of 4K output hasn't seemed to phase the Epson users and DLP HDR is just about as sharp as Epson's pseudo 4K.
I would hold off until CES 2020 and see if Optoma will bring the "HZ40" stateside. Very similar to the ZH403 but its being marketed as a home entertainment projector in Europe. Its contrast rating is 2500000:1, false of course. But I believe it will have the 8X and 16X dynamic contrast multiplier from the UHZ65. European sellers also mention "Built-in Pure motion and Ultra detail technologies" from the UHZ65 in the description of the HZ40 as well. Basically a stripped down 1080p version of the UHZ65.

If released stateside, the HZ40 can be a great stop gap for fans of DLP projectors.

https://www.optomaeurope.com/product-details/HZ40
DunMunro and dreamstate like this.

post #12 of 61 Old 12-24-2019, 12:11 PM

The projectors / specs appear identical with exception of the overzealous marketing staffer in Europe on the contrast specs. I bet they are the same projector, just trying to market to different segments. There's no great reason a 1080P projector targeted for business / conference would have 4K UHD HDMI 2.0 input and HDR10 capabilities.

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/zh403/

https://www.optoma.co.uk/product-details/HZ40

They are even using the same photo of the ZH403 in the HZ40 marketing material (same serial #)
post #13 of 61 Old 12-26-2019, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Good catch, there, zombie :P
post #14 of 61 Old 01-03-2020, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The projectors / specs appear identical with exception of the overzealous marketing staffer in Europe on the contrast specs. I bet they are the same projector, just trying to market to different segments. There's no great reason a 1080P projector targeted for business / conference would have 4K UHD HDMI 2.0 input and HDR10 capabilities.

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/zh403/

https://www.optoma.co.uk/product-details/HZ40

They are even using the same photo of the ZH403 in the HZ40 marketing material (same serial #)
This review states the HZ40 uses the .47 DLP chip. There's just nothing too good for the consumer. Hopefully the review is wrong. https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...atible-4k-hdr/
post #15 of 61 Old 01-03-2020, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones8103 View Post
This review states the HZ40 uses the .47 DLP chip. There's just nothing too good for the consumer. Hopefully the review is wrong. https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...atible-4k-hdr/
It was actually not a review but a product announcement, and I suspect that the HZ40 uses the same .65in DLP DMD as the
ZH403:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf...spec_11087.pdf

, in any event the ZH403 uses the .65in DMD, as per the above.
post #16 of 61 Old 01-03-2020, 08:53 AM

OK you guys, I just punted the pooch and ordered one of these things. My salesman said I could have it for free for up to four hours bulb time after which there will be a 10% restocking fee. A postage free return label will be in the box. Primary use will be back room gaming and Granddaughter distraction. Setup will be in a small room (11.5 ft X 11 ft) shooting to a 90" screen from 8' 6" way. The ZH403 will be shelf mounted in an inverted position on a home built rack. Room can be made 100% dark, but has light blue green walls with a white ceiling and white doors. I may try and fab some type of black out curtains for the walls if I get time. A Benq HT3050 looked good in here but it is presently replacing a dead Optoma UHD51ALV in another room. Feed equipment will be an Oppo BDP 103, a Panny DB-UP820,
an Xbox one X and PS4 Pro with small surround sound system for support. No test equipment available and I wouldn't know how to use it if there were. If you have suggestions - make them and if you have questions - ask them.
noob00224, DunMunro and dreamstate like this.

Last edited by bjones8103; 01-03-2020 at 08:57 AM.
post #17 of 61 Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
OK you guys, I just punted the pooch and ordered one of these things. My salesman said I could have it for free for up to four hours bulb time after which there will be a 10% restocking fee. A postage free return label will be in the box. Primary use will be back room gaming and Granddaughter distraction. Setup will be in a small room (11.5 ft X 11 ft) shooting to a 90" screen from 8' 6" way. The ZH403 will be shelf mounted in an inverted position on a home built rack. Room can be made 100% dark, but has light blue green walls with a white ceiling and white doors. I may try and fab some type of black out curtains for the walls if I get time. A Benq HT3050 looked good in here but it is presently replacing a dead Optoma UHD51ALV in another room. Feed equipment will be an Oppo BDP 103, a Panny DB-UP820,
an Xbox one X and PS4 Pro with small surround sound system for support. No test equipment available and I wouldn't know how to use it if there were. If you have suggestions - make them and if you have questions - ask them.
Awesome. I don’t have any tech requests, but I am interested in your thoughts on the ZH403 compared to the Benq HT3050. I have a similar room, so interested to hear your opinions on how it performs.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-04-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Awesome. I don’t have any tech requests, but I am interested in your thoughts on the ZH403 compared to the Benq HT3050. I have a similar room, so interested to hear your opinions on how it performs.
I personally don't think the ZH403 can come close the HT3050 in Cinematic modes. I was playing with the HT3050 last night. It was set up in a room adjacent to and projecting to a right angle of a HT3550 and I was able to watch both screens at the same time. The HC3050 was giving the HT3550 a run for the money even with 4k. It loses in clarity (sharpness) but not by a whole lot. It does very well with color and holds its own with contrast. Picture quality seems to depend as much on the source, both the player and the bluray disc, as it does the projector. I don't think the ZH403 will have the HT3050's ability to reproduce colors and may suffer from lens quality. I do think it will reproduce colors well enough for video games and possibly animated movies which I don't watch a lot of. 3D is a big factor for me. The salesman I bought it through thinks differently in a more positive direction. He says he has been waiting for someone to try this. At any rate, its throw fits this room like a glove and in a pinch will fit all three projector rooms in this house if (and when) needed. I have an Optoma UHD51alv and the Benq HT3550 for movies, not because they are high quality projectors but because their throw ratios make it possible to use them in this house. I would love to have a JVC, a Sony, or a high dollar Bing but it would be like trying to park a VW Beetle in a Porta Potty. If the ZH403 doesn't do well I'll try an Optoma HD39HDR next.

t
Radio81 likes this.

Last edited by bjones8103; 01-04-2020 at 05:12 AM.
post #19 of 61 Old 01-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I seem to recall almost 20 years ago while researching my first dlp, reading on this very forum about the amazing things we were very shortly going to be seeing from laser projectors. Infinite contrast ratios, limitless light engine life, no heat and no fan needed, perfect light output, low cost... because LASERS! All of that turned out to be smoke and mirrors. Vaporware.
post #20 of 61 Old 01-04-2020, 02:54 PM

@bjones8103

Can you please test SDR content in the rRGB mode with dynamic black "on". Thanks. Looking forward to your feedback.
noob00224 likes this.

post #21 of 61 Old 01-04-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
@bjones8103

Can you please test SDR content in the rRGB mode with dynamic black "on". Thanks. Looking forward to your feedback.
Will do and thanks for the input. The Zh403 is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday and probably late Tuesday at that.
I've requested the preferred settings from the author of the "Road Test" but I don't know if he will release them "or" maybe he has released them in the write up and I just need to dig them out. I've got a degree in Forestry and flew Air Force jets for a living, neither of which provided me with a lot of background in projection engineering, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.
MJ DOOM likes this.
post #22 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:

Where did you find the information on the lens? Do you have anymore detail? Thanks.
post #23 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
ZH06 also has the 3 pin VESA port for bring your own 3D transmitter. I have a ton of 3D content and will be sure to check this out.

Unfortunately ZH403 does not have the 3D Synch VESA port for transmitter and 3D-RF glasses as the ZH06, but it's 3D compatible (I presume DLP Link only):

Same goes for the HZ40: https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...atible-4k-hdr/

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 01-06-2020 at 03:07 AM.
post #24 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where did you find the information on the lens? Do you have anymore detail? Thanks.
The projector price, weight and marketing all point to a lower quality lens. The fact that the press release doesn't mention anything about the lens really speaks for itself.

post #25 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The projector price, weight and marketing all point to a lower quality lens. The fact that the press release doesn't mention anything about the lens really speaks for itself.

Another poor assumption. The press releases and products information pages of the Optoma UHD51ALV/UHD51 mentions nothing about it lens bet yet numerous people on this forum and professional reviews have stated it's visibly sharper than the BenQ HT3550 with its Precision 10-Element 8-Group All Glass 4K-optimized Lens Array you see mentioned on it's product information page.

I'm sure if the lens was as poor as you assumed, PJC would've mentioned that in their review.

This is a $1250 projector so the lens quality shouldn't be expected to match one from a Epson UB series or JVC projector.

But @bjones8103 I would still expect the ZH403 to have a razor sharp image because it's a 1080p DLP projector.

post #26 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another poor assumption. The press releases and products information pages of the Optoma UHD51ALV/UHD51 mentions nothing about it lens bet yet numerous people on this forum and professional reviews have stated it's visibly sharper than the BenQ HT3550 with its Precision 10-Element 8-Group All Glass 4K-optimized Lens Array you see mentioned on it's product information page.

I'm sure if the lens was as poor as you assumed, PJC would've mentioned that in their review.

This is a $1250 projector so the lens quality shouldn't be expected to match one from a Epson UB series or JVC projector.

But @bjones8103 I would still expect the ZH403 to have a razor sharp image because it's a 1080p DLP projector.
The sharpness of the projector would be due to it being a DLP projector not the lens quality. If someone wants to use a classroom projector as their home theater projector that is up to them. Optoma themselves is not marketing it as a home theater projector.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 01-06-2020 at 09:00 AM.
post #27 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We're all waiting for your review and impressions of the ZH406. I think we should all be patient and let you evaluate it, before rushing to judgement.

Regarding the lens, Optomas generally review well in terms of lens quality, and projectors marketed for professional AV use are not somehow substandard compared to home video and home theatre projectors. Lens design for the .65 DLP DMD is now a very mature technology and Optoma has omitted long zoom ratios and lens shift on the ZH406, which simplifies optical design and should allow for a very sharp lens.

The only professional review (Projector Central) we have states:
For 1080p SDR content and using our preferred settings, the ZH403 delivered eye-catching color for graphics, suitably neutral color for photos and video, and good enough contrast, shadow detail, and three dimensionality to make movies and video highly watchable. It also supports HDR well enough to make 4K UHD HDR video content highly watchable as well, with a noticeable boost in both color saturation and shadow detail...

Anyways, we are all very keen to read your review of the ZH403.

Last edited by DunMunro; 01-06-2020 at 08:11 AM.
post #28 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Unfortunately ZH403 does not have the 3D Synch VESA port for transmitter and 3D-RF glasses as the ZH06, but it's 3D compatible (I presume DLP Link only):

Same goes for the HZ40: https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...atible-4k-hdr/
In the US the ZH406 is only $350 more than the ZH403 and has the VESA port, a bit of vertical shift and some extra brightness. We're picking one up this month for business use but will bring it home for a week to check out the 3D and see how it compares to my other 3D DLP's.
DunMunro likes this.
post #29 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We're all waiting for your review and impressions of the ZH406. I think we should all be patient and let you evaluate it, before rushing to judgement.

Regarding the lens, Optomas generally review well in terms of lens quality, and projectors marketed for professional AV use are not somehow substandard compared to home video and home theatre projectors. Lens design for the .65 DLP DMD is now a very mature technology and Optoma has omitted long zoom ratios and lens shift on the ZH406, which simplifies optical design and should allow for a very sharp lens.

The only professional review (Projector Central) we have states:

For 1080p SDR content and using our preferred settings, the ZH403 delivered eye-catching color for graphics, suitably neutral color for photos and video, and good enough contrast, shadow detail, and three dimensionality to make movies and video highly watchable. It also supports HDR well enough to make 4K UHD HDR video content highly watchable as well, with a noticeable boost in both color saturation and shadow detail...

Anyways, we are all very keen to read your review of the ZH403.
Why would Optoma be marketing this projector as a classroom and presentation projector suitable for houses of worship and businesses if it were suitable for home theater I would think they would be marketing to that segment as well.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 01-06-2020 at 09:01 AM.
post #30 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have the portion of the review where the reviewer mentions that this is a great lens? Why would Optoma be marketing this projector as a classroom and presentation projector suitable for houses of worship and businesses if it were suitable for home theater I would think they would be marketing to that segment as well. Just just some general questions

The reviewer doesn't note any problems with the lens and if text and graphics were soft, then this would be of interest to the reviewer, as corporate users will want the ability to project sharp text and graphics. I don't know why Optoma markets this projector for corporate and educational use. However, I can speculate that they feel that this unit will be very competitive there and will increase overall sales, whereas in the home market it might just steal sales from their existing line of home video and home theatre projectors. BenQ seems to have a similar marketing strategy but many users seem impressed with their business oriented projectors when used in their home theatres.
bjones8103 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page