AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Epson 4000 HC & Dolby Vision Content (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3115636-epson-4000-hc-dolby-vision-content.html)

Gisy 01-11-2020 03:41 PM

Epson 4000 HC & Dolby Vision Content

Hello,

I have a question regarding the Dolby Vision(DV) /HDR10+ content available on popular streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ or Amazon Prime video and the capabilities of the Epson 4000 Home Cinema projector. I'm trying to find the best settings to display such a content but I got a bit lost...

To start I'm fully aware that there is no consumer projector on the market capable to handle true Dolby Vision metadata. However, I was wondering if anyone found settings in the Epson 4000 that are a happy medium between brightness and color display with DV content. The main issue with DV content on the Epson 4000 is that the image is too dark and details are lost.

The equipment I have is completed by the Denon X2400H receiver which is in bypass mode so there is no video manipulation from it and the Apple TV which is set to 4K SDR/60fps (the Epson 4000 can only handle 30fps in 4K HDR) but with the "Match frame and range" option turned on so I can display DV content at 24-30fps in HDR.

I've calibrated the projector with the Spears & Munsil 4K UHD disk but as suggested by them I've calibrated the image in SDR as there is no much you can calibrate in HDR mode. At the end I've only calibrated brightness and contrast and I have not touched any of the color, tint or other settings which should be already good in the Epson 4000 HC.

The images in 4K are stunning and just by adjusting the two settings mentioned above the improvements where huge. I've played the demo that came with the disk and I've got the message that my equipment cannot display HDR10+ nor DV and therefore the demos would be played in HDR10. The colors looked stunning and the images where not too dark at all, they just looked perfect...

I've performed the above calibration in two modes that the projector has...the Cinema and Bright Cinema modes. Oh and of course all this at night in a very well dark room.

After the calibration I went back to the Netflix content and tried to play some Dolby Vision content to see if there was any improvement but I must say that there was none as the images looked again too dark. I've also tried to play content marked as HDR10 (not 10+) since the demos in the Spears & Munsil disk looked good but even content in this format looked too dark when played from the streaming services (maybe when titles are labelled as HDR10 it's really HDR10+ which is not supported by my projector).

Anyway my question is should I just give up in trying to display content in Dolby Vision or HDR10+ on my Epson 4000 projector or anyone that has similar equipment found settings that work well with such content? After all if I turn off the "Match Range" option on my Apple TV and display the content in 4K SDR the images are stunning but I really like the color tone of Dolby Vision when properly displayed.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

DunMunro 01-11-2020 03:47 PM

The Panasonic UB820 might do a better job of displaying DV/HDR10+ content via it's HDR optimizer on an HDR10 capable projector. I have a UB420 but it doesn't support DV.

Gisy 01-11-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunMunro (Post 59084752)
The Panasonic UB820 might do a better job of displaying DV/HDR10+ content via it's HDR optimizer on an HDR10 capable projector. I have a UB420 but it doesn't support DV.

Thanks...but I stream content online...I don't use BR players. My question is more for projector settings...

DunMunro 01-11-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gisy (Post 59085242)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunMunro (Post 59084752)

Thanks...but I stream content online...I don't use BR players. My question is more for projector settings...

Most BR players come with a set of streaming apps.
I use my BR players to stream 4k content precisely because they give better control over HDR content and the ub420 HDR optimizer works with streamed 4k HDR content.