Which one should I get? Epson HC 4000 or Epson HC 3800? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Inshakoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which one should I get? Epson HC 4000 or Epson HC 3800?

Hey all,

I've got an opportunity to get an Epson HC 4000 or an Epson HC 3800 for roughly the same price. I'm torn because the 4000 supports the full color gamut and has better black levels (140,000:1 vs 100,000:1) but the 3800 supports 4k 60Hz, utilizes the full 18Gbps HDMI, and has better sensors. My setup is an 18' x 12' theater with 6 seats and no ambient light. My PJ is about 12ft from a 125" screen. I am not a gamer and just can't find a great review of why I should or shouldn't go for the 4k 60Hz outside of gaming. I realize that most films are shot at 24fps but for some reason I just can't decide on which PJ to consider. I'd really appreciate any feedback and opinions between the 2. I realize that outside of specs, things get really subjective but all opinions are appreciated. Thank you!
Inshakoor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
JThiessen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshakoor View Post
Hey all,

I've got an opportunity to get an Epson HC 4000 or an Epson HC 3800 for roughly the same price. I'm torn because the 4000 supports the full color gamut and has better black levels (140,000:1 vs 100,000:1) but the 3800 supports 4k 60Hz, utilizes the full 18Gbps HDMI, and has better sensors. My setup is an 18' x 12' theater with 6 seats and no ambient light. My PJ is about 12ft from a 125" screen. I am not a gamer and just can't find a great review of why I should or shouldn't go for the 4k 60Hz outside of gaming. I realize that most films are shot at 24fps but for some reason I just can't decide on which PJ to consider. I'd really appreciate any feedback and opinions between the 2. I realize that outside of specs, things get really subjective but all opinions are appreciated. Thank you!
Epson has a 4000 on its clearance/refurb page. I cant weigh in on which of these two you need - no experience with either of them
JThiessen is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Inshakoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post
Epson has a 4000 on its clearance/refurb page. I cant weigh in on which of these two you need - no experience with either of them
That’s the very deal for the 4000 I’m considering. So if I could get a 3800 close to that deal, which one comes out on top?
Inshakoor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshakoor View Post
Hey all,

I've got an opportunity to get an Epson HC 4000 or an Epson HC 3800 for roughly the same price. I'm torn because the 4000 supports the full color gamut and has better black levels (140,000:1 vs 100,000:1) but the 3800 supports 4k 60Hz, utilizes the full 18Gbps HDMI, and has better sensors. My setup is an 18' x 12' theater with 6 seats and no ambient light. My PJ is about 12ft from a 125" screen. I am not a gamer and just can't find a great review of why I should or shouldn't go for the 4k 60Hz outside of gaming. I realize that most films are shot at 24fps but for some reason I just can't decide on which PJ to consider. I'd really appreciate any feedback and opinions between the 2. I realize that outside of specs, things get really subjective but all opinions are appreciated. Thank you!
The HC4000 is from the previous generation. There have been some issues with power supplies with that generation.
The DCI P3 filter on the 4000 reduces brightness by 50% and some users like the brightness more than the extended color gamut.

The HC4000 would have an overall better picture quality.

The 4K HDR 60Hz is not just for gaming, some streaming services are locked at 4K HDR 60Hz, even though most video is 24p.
A HD Fury linker can lower the bit depth from 10 to 8 so it fits the 10GB bandwidth.

Instead of these two, why not get a refurbished 5040UB (for North America)? It's probably cheaper than both of the two options new, and comes from Epson with warranty:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...-151-00-a.html

The 5040UB is the HC4000 with better blacks. To fully take advantage of the blacks the room would have to be treated for reflections.

What color are the walls?
noob00224 is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Inshakoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

The HC4000 is from the previous generation. There have been some issues with power supplies with that generation.
The DCI P3 filter on the 4000 reduces brightness by 50% and some users like the brightness more than the extended color gamut.

The HC4000 would have an overall better picture quality.

The 4K HDR 60Hz is not just for gaming, some streaming services are locked at 4K HDR 60Hz, even though most video is 24p.
A HD Fury linker can lower the bit depth from 10 to 8 so it fits the 10GB bandwidth.

Instead of these two, why not get a refurbished 5040UB (for North America)? It's probably cheaper than both of the two options new, and comes from Epson with warranty:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...-151-00-a.html

The 5040UB is the HC4000 with better blacks. To fully take advantage of the blacks the room would have to be treated for reflections.

What color are the walls?
Funny you mention that, my brother just sent me that very link. I’m glad to see the 5040 is still thought highly of although it sounds like you need to keep one eye on that site constantly to get one 🙂.

My screen wall and ceiling are matte black. The rest of the walls are a matte red. I’d be curious to hear more about the reflections issue you’re talking about. Thank you for the feedback.
Inshakoor is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshakoor View Post
Funny you mention that, my brother just sent me that very link. I’m glad to see the 5040 is still thought highly of although it sounds like you need to keep one eye on that site constantly to get one 🙂.

My screen wall and ceiling are matte black. The rest of the walls are a matte red. I’d be curious to hear more about the reflections issue you’re talking about. Thank you for the feedback.
The room sounds treated, the 5040UB should be fine.

https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

And the article. The TW9200 in this article is similar to the 5040UB:
https://projectiondream.com/en/contr...r-environment/
noob00224 is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Inshakoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The room sounds treated, the 5040UB should be fine.

https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

And the article. The TW9200 in this article is similar to the 5040UB:
https://projectiondream.com/en/contr...r-environment/
Good stuff thx, and that’s one heck of a way to optimize a room on the fly 🙂. To kinda bring this full circle, what are the ramifications of using a source that is forced to 4K 60Hz going to a projecter that doesn’t support 4K 60Hz? I believe the Xbox 1 has a limitation where it won’t output HDR 4K 60Hz to the HC 4000 which probably also translates to the 5040UB. Is that a common behavior for that scenario? Currently I use a PC for my home theater and will probably continue to do so for the distant future. With that said, I still do use the latest fire TV on occasion. Thanks again for all comments.
Inshakoor is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshakoor View Post
Good stuff thx, and that’s one heck of a way to optimize a room on the fly 🙂. To kinda bring this full circle, what are the ramifications of using a source that is forced to 4K 60Hz going to a projecter that doesn’t support 4K 60Hz? I believe the Xbox 1 has a limitation where it won’t output HDR 4K 60Hz to the HC 4000 which probably also translates to the 5040UB. Is that a common behavior for that scenario? Currently I use a PC for my home theater and will probably continue to do so for the distant future. With that said, I still do use the latest fire TV on occasion. Thanks again for all comments.
It will probably say Not supported by the projector, if it shows at all as an option.

There is a way to bypass this, as I mentioned above:
1)With a PC, just select 8 bit instead of 10.
2)With a HDFury linker for players or other devices.

For HDR content, some users have complained that it's too dark, so on a PC madvr can be used which is the best DTM solution, but requires a >GTX1060 GPU.
For other sources use a Panasonic UB420/820/9000.
noob00224 is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Inshakoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
It will probably say Not supported by the projector, if it shows at all as an option.

There is a way to bypass this, as I mentioned above:
1)With a PC, just select 8 bit instead of 10.
2)With a HDFury linker for players or other devices.

For HDR content, some users have complained that it's too dark, so on a PC madvr can be used which is the best DTM solution, but requires a >GTX1060 GPU.
For other sources use a Panasonic UB420/820/9000.
Sorry to drag this on but I'm trying to be as informed as possible before pulling the trigger. Are the blacks and the full wide color gamut that good that a general consensus would be to get the 3.5 year old 5040UB vs the 3 month old lesser black level non wide color gamut with 4K HDR 60 support? I'm still unsure of the value of 4K HDR 60. Thank you!
Inshakoor is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 592
First off you need to know the "exact" distance you can have the projector from the screen. With a 12' mounting point to the screen neither of these projectors can even shoot a 125" image. The Epson's 4000 needs a little more the 12' from the front of the lens to the screen for a 125" image, the 3800 a at least 12'. From your description of the room it is fully light controlled and reasonable treated for reflections where a high contrast projector should be your only consideration. For the lowest cost with the security of a warranty the refurbished Epson 5040 is the best value by far. A used JVC if you don't mind the gamble of no warranty would be your best possible choice. JVC RS400 or better all have 18Gb HDMI and the RS500/520/540 or better have the color filter. For high contrast projectors you are generally limited to the UB Epson's, All the LCOS JVC's and SONY.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 01-12-2020 at 09:37 PM.
rekbones is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshakoor View Post
Sorry to drag this on but I'm trying to be as informed as possible before pulling the trigger. Are the blacks and the full wide color gamut that good that a general consensus would be to get the 3.5 year old 5040UB vs the 3 month old lesser black level non wide color gamut with 4K HDR 60 support? I'm still unsure of the value of 4K HDR 60. Thank you!
Yes.

I noted how to achieve 4K HDR 60Hz in the post above, so that's not really an issue.


The HC3xxx series is a living room projector with poorer blacks and does not have a filter, the latest HC3200/3800 covers 71-75% of DCI P3.
The 5040UltraBlack has better black levels and covers 85-89% of the DCI P3 color gamut without the filter and 100% (or more) with the filter. It's also got better lenses and other components that contribute to a better picture quality.

Speaking of lenses and the HC3xxx series, this is what a user found when upgrading from a HC3700 to the new HC3800:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59088078


As rekbones said, check the exact distance, and keep in mind this projector is about 18" in depth, to which space for cables at the back is added (4-5").
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm

Sony's in this price range have similar contrast to the 5040UB, but are only 1080p. They are quieter.
The JVC's mentioned would provide a better black level and contrast. Lamps are more expensive. But if you're looking for the best black level and contrast, JVC is the best option.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off