HDMI Splitter Recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AJ82
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HDMI Splitter Recommendations?

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. If not please direct me to right forum and I will delete this post.

I have a UHD50 and I am looking for a good HDMI splitter with optical audio out. I have a fire TV which will give the input to HDMI spliiter (hopefully PS4 will occupy another input later on) The output will go to UHD50 and optical out to my sound system (Bose). I bought one almost a month ago. White it works fine it drops the audio for couple of seconds every 2-3 minutes so I am returning that one. While I look at amazon there is all this technical information that I really don't know about so I thought of asking here.

I found one which says it's output is [email protected] (Max bandwidth 9 GBPS). From what I read 12 GBPS is desirable.

Then there is one which has SPDIF out. Does that carry 5.1 channels?


I have these two in contention right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7VYVH7GK&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WYKZGTBQ&psc=1


Thanks !
AJ82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,412
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I don't think either of those will work. First one is HDMI 1.4 and you need HDMI 2.0 or better and the second one doesn't even support HDCP 2.2. Sell the Bose to someone that doesn't know any better (sorry Bose is very unpopular on these forums) and get a proper AVR that has HDMI.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I don't think either of those will work. First one is HDMI 1.4 and you need HDMI 2.0 or better and the second one doesn't even support HDCP 2.2. Sell the Bose to someone that doesn't know any better (sorry Bose is very unpopular on these forums) and get a proper AVR that has HDMI.
Thanks for pointers on HDMI version I totally missed on that !

I know Bose is not favored on this part of internet but at this time I am just looking for something to make it work with what I have. I don't have budget at this time for a big purchase. Thanksgiving was rough on bank account
AJ82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ82 View Post
Hello,
I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. If not please direct me to right forum and I will delete this post.

I have a UHD50 and I am looking for a good HDMI splitter with optical audio out. I have a fire TV which will give the input to HDMI spliiter (hopefully PS4 will occupy another input later on) The output will go to UHD50 and optical out to my sound system (Bose). I bought one almost a month ago. White it works fine it drops the audio for couple of seconds every 2-3 minutes so I am returning that one. While I look at amazon there is all this technical information that I really don't know about so I thought of asking here.

I found one which says it's output is [email protected] (Max bandwidth 9 GBPS). From what I read 12 GBPS is desirable.

Then there is one which has SPDIF out. Does that carry 5.1 channels?


I have these two in contention right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7VYVH7GK&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WYKZGTBQ&psc=1


Thanks !
This might work:

https://www.amazon.com/avedio-links-...dp/B07ZNKNT9J/

I'm in the same boat as I have an older amp and speaker system and want to continue using it.
DunMunro is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
This might work:

https://www.amazon.com/avedio-links-...dp/B07ZNKNT9J/

I'm in the same boat as I have an older amp and speaker system and want to continue using it.
Yeah this might work but 2 input and 4 output ! who needs that ! I wish it was 4 inputs and 2 outs but I can probably live with just 2 Inputs.
DunMunro likes this.
AJ82 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ82 View Post
Yeah this might work but 2 input and 4 output ! who needs that ! I wish it was 4 inputs and 2 outs but I can probably live with just 2 Inputs.
OK, I assumed 4 inputs. This is a 4 x 1:


https://www.amazon.com/Toslinkl-aved...dp/B07R88C8V2/

with similar specs (and still 18gbps).
DunMunro is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
WLDock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I've had a need for one of these not long ago. I have an AVR that has a bad HDMI card and use the HDMI box for switching and audio extraction. I've had good luck with a Monoprice Blackbird product. They have several options but the AuviPal 4x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor posted in the link above^^^ looks like the way to go for you at $39.

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500

Last edited by WLDock; 01-13-2020 at 01:34 PM.
WLDock is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
OK, I assumed 4 inputs. This is a 4 x 1:


https://www.amazon.com/Toslinkl-aved...dp/B07R88C8V2/

with similar specs (and still 18gbps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
I've had a need for one of these not long ago. I have an AVR that has a bad HDMI card and use the HDMI box for switching and audio extraction. I've had good luck with a Monoprice Blackbird product. They have several options but the AuviPal 4x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor posted in the link above^^^ looks like the way to go for you at $39.
Thanks I will check them out. The one I am using currently is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AJ82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off