HDMI Splitter Recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By AJ82
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HDMI Switch Recommendations?

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. If not please direct me to right forum and I will delete this post.

I have a UHD50 and I am looking for a good HDMI splitter with optical audio out. I have a fire TV which will give the input to HDMI spliiter (hopefully PS4 will occupy another input later on) The output will go to UHD50 and optical out to my sound system (Bose). I bought one almost a month ago. White it works fine it drops the audio for couple of seconds every 2-3 minutes so I am returning that one. While I look at amazon there is all this technical information that I really don't know about so I thought of asking here.

I found one which says it's output is [email protected] (Max bandwidth 9 GBPS). From what I read 12 GBPS is desirable.

Then there is one which has SPDIF out. Does that carry 5.1 channels?

I have these two in contention right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7VYVH7GK&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WYKZGTBQ&psc=1

Thanks !

Last edited by AJ82; Yesterday at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I don't think either of those will work. First one is HDMI 1.4 and you need HDMI 2.0 or better and the second one doesn't even support HDCP 2.2. Sell the Bose to someone that doesn't know any better (sorry Bose is very unpopular on these forums) and get a proper AVR that has HDMI.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I don't think either of those will work. First one is HDMI 1.4 and you need HDMI 2.0 or better and the second one doesn't even support HDCP 2.2. Sell the Bose to someone that doesn't know any better (sorry Bose is very unpopular on these forums) and get a proper AVR that has HDMI.
Thanks for pointers on HDMI version I totally missed on that !

I know Bose is not favored on this part of internet but at this time I am just looking for something to make it work with what I have. I don't have budget at this time for a big purchase. Thanksgiving was rough on bank account
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ82 View Post
Hello,
I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. If not please direct me to right forum and I will delete this post.

I have a UHD50 and I am looking for a good HDMI splitter with optical audio out. I have a fire TV which will give the input to HDMI spliiter (hopefully PS4 will occupy another input later on) The output will go to UHD50 and optical out to my sound system (Bose). I bought one almost a month ago. White it works fine it drops the audio for couple of seconds every 2-3 minutes so I am returning that one. While I look at amazon there is all this technical information that I really don't know about so I thought of asking here.

I found one which says it's output is [email protected] (Max bandwidth 9 GBPS). From what I read 12 GBPS is desirable.

Then there is one which has SPDIF out. Does that carry 5.1 channels?

I have these two in contention right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7VYVH7GK&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WYKZGTBQ&psc=1

Thanks !
This might work:

https://www.amazon.com/avedio-links-...dp/B07ZNKNT9J/

I'm in the same boat as I have an older amp and speaker system and want to continue using it.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
This might work:

https://www.amazon.com/avedio-links-...dp/B07ZNKNT9J/

I'm in the same boat as I have an older amp and speaker system and want to continue using it.
Yeah this might work but 2 input and 4 output ! who needs that ! I wish it was 4 inputs and 2 outs but I can probably live with just 2 Inputs.
DunMunro likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah this might work but 2 input and 4 output ! who needs that ! I wish it was 4 inputs and 2 outs but I can probably live with just 2 Inputs.
OK, I assumed 4 inputs. This is a 4 x 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Toslinkl-aved...dp/B07R88C8V2/

with similar specs (and still 18gbps).
post #7 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I've had a need for one of these not long ago. I have an AVR that has a bad HDMI card and use the HDMI box for switching and audio extraction. I've had good luck with a Monoprice Blackbird product. They have several options but the AuviPal 4x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor posted in the link above^^^ looks like the way to go for you at $39.

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500

Last edited by WLDock; 01-13-2020 at 01:34 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, I assumed 4 inputs. This is a 4 x 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Toslinkl-aved...dp/B07R88C8V2/

with similar specs (and still 18gbps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
I've had a need for one of these not long ago. I have an AVR that has a bad HDMI card and use the HDMI box for switching and audio extraction. I've had good luck with a Monoprice Blackbird product. They have several options but the AuviPal 4x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor posted in the link above^^^ looks like the way to go for you at $39.
Thanks I will check them out. The one I am using currently is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #9 of 22 Old 01-21-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am considering this one. Any thoughts? It seems to have enough bandwidth for audio/video. Even their 4X1 is also having similar specs.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
post #10 of 22 Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am considering this one. Any thoughts? It seems to have enough bandwidth for audio/video. Even their 4X1 is also having similar specs.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
I just picked up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/

and it seems to work fine with 4K 24hz 12bit 4:4:4 and 4K 60hz 10bit 4:2:0. My stereo reports 2.1 and multi channel output via the coax out/in but it might be just 2.1.

Last edited by DunMunro; 01-21-2020 at 04:13 PM.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-21-2020, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using this for a month and it works fine. HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, 4K at 60hz,4 inputs and the price is good.
It extracts and passes audio also.

I have it plugged into my TV and had to make a modified driver so that the Nvidia card would actually send DD to the TV. I did not need the extract audio part as the TV sends out DD from its coaxial port to my old DD Sony receiver with no HDMI, but I did not know that till it did not work and I had to understand why.

Here is how you can do this
https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audi...-whatever.html

Funny how my Nvidia card has DD, TV can pass DD, Sony receiver can decode DD, BUT the monitor driver for the HDTV was not enabled for DD sound, just stereo. No way was I wanting to spend $$$ on an HDMI DD receiver. If the windows driver for the TV does not specifically tell the OS to send DD onto the HDMI, it wont.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone tried these HDMI switch / splitter and do they work?

I am thinking of picking up one of these when I upgrade my PJ to 4k, and my AVR (Marantz SR5006), which I've been perfectly happy with, does not pass 4k.

So to defer (or put off, altogether) my AVR replacement, I am thinking of getting one of these HDMI switch to do the video switching, and then feed 1 HDMI output to my PJ HDMI IN, while feeding the other to my AVR to pass audio.

Would that work?
post #13 of 22 Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number17 View Post
Has anyone tried these HDMI switch / splitter and do they work?

I am thinking of picking up one of these when I upgrade my PJ to 4k, and my AVR (Marantz SR5006), which I've been perfectly happy with, does not pass 4k.

So to defer (or put off, altogether) my AVR replacement, I am thinking of getting one of these HDMI switch to do the video switching, and then feed 1 HDMI output to my PJ HDMI IN, while feeding the other to my AVR to pass audio.

Would that work?
See post 10. I can't test the ARC HDMI feature but everything else works.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-22-2020, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I just picked up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/

and it seems to work fine with 4K 24hz 12bit 4:4:4 and 4K 60hz 10bit 4:2:0. My stereo reports 2.1 and multi channel output via the coax out/in but it might be just 2.1.

I was about to order this when I noticed it mentions "input/Output Cable Length 1080p less than 30ft, 4K less than 15ft" . I have a 25 ft cable going to PJ. Does this mean it won't work or this is like a statuary warning ?

Edit: I noticed its not in NEWCARE switch but on J-TEch (the one I found) but the question remains !

Last edited by AJ82; 01-22-2020 at 03:13 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-22-2020, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was about to order this when I noticed it mentions "input/Output Cable Length 1080p less than 30ft, 4K less than 15ft" . I have a 25 ft cable going to PJ. Does this mean it won't work or this is like a statuary warning ?

Edit: I noticed its not in NEWCARE switch but on J-TEch (the one I found) but the question remains !
I have found that HDMI and 4K is problematic in anything over 6-10 ft, but my 10ft cable works. Forum members recommend ' 4k certified premium cables' for longer lengths. However, if your cable works now, it will probably keep on working, but that's just MHO.

Last edited by DunMunro; 01-22-2020 at 04:21 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately HDMI is all trial and error. Trying to get HDMI working with all new fully support gear is hard enough but once you throw legacy gear into the mix it just compounds the problem. Save your self a lot of headaches and get an AVR that supports the latest HDMI.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #17 of 22 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have found that HDMI and 4K is problematic in anything over 6-10 ft, but my 10ft cable works. Forum members recommend ' 4k certified premium cables' for longer lengths. However, if your cable works now, it will probably keep on working, but that's just MHO.
Yeah my current cable works. I ended up ordering J-Tech coz of free returns should anything go wrong.

Quote:
Unfortunately HDMI is all trial and error. Trying to get HDMI working with all new fully support gear is hard enough but once you throw legacy gear into the mix it just compounds the problem. Save your self a lot of headaches and get an AVR that supports the latest HDMI.
I know ! it has been a lot of effort! I will look into a AVR next time I loosen my purse strings ! Can you recommend one which does not break the bank ?
post #18 of 22 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
It always helps to use the proper terminology...

You are looking for a switcher with audio converter, or audio extractor. This will help when you search.

A splitter splits the signal, and you may think that's what's going on, but you will end up with multiple HDMI outputs. Because that's typically what is considered to be 'split'. Instead, you are extracting the audio off of your HDMI connection, and you want to have multiple HDMI inputs which you can switch between.

The other thing is that you know you want full 4K capability, so you are looking for the 18Gb/s statement in the product specifications. 18Gb/s, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 support are the lines.

4x1 HDMI switcher audio extractor (converter) 18Gb/s is the goal.

Don't underestimate the problems that HDMI cables have either.

This switch calls out all the details and gives you a S/PDIF (digital optical) audio output to feed your current audio system:
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...ef=sr_1_2_sspa

Note that the price is not at all in the same league as the cheaper switches. There's typically a reason for that.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #19 of 22 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah my current cable works. I ended up ordering J-Tech coz of free returns should anything go wrong.

I know ! it has been a lot of effort! I will look into a AVR next time I loosen my purse strings ! Can you recommend one which does not break the bank ?
Not allowed to post where to buy and prices. Sent you a PM for an AVR well under $200.
AJ82 likes this.

post #20 of 22 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
It always helps to use the proper terminology...

You are looking for a switcher with audio converter, or audio extractor. This will help when you search.

A splitter splits the signal, and you may think that's what's going on, but you will end up with multiple HDMI outputs. Because that's typically what is considered to be 'split'. Instead, you are extracting the audio off of your HDMI connection, and you want to have multiple HDMI inputs which you can switch between.

The other thing is that you know you want full 4K capability, so you are looking for the 18Gb/s statement in the product specifications. 18Gb/s, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 support are the lines.

4x1 HDMI switcher audio extractor (converter) 18Gb/s is the goal.

Don't underestimate the problems that HDMI cables have either.

This switch calls out all the details and gives you a S/PDIF (digital optical) audio output to feed your current audio system:
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...ef=sr_1_2_sspa

Note that the price is not at all in the same league as the cheaper switches. There's typically a reason for that.
Yeah I ended up with the one you suggested. I did realize I was using wrong term for what I needed (Splitter/Switch). I don't know if changing the thread subject is possible !
post #21 of 22 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Yeah I ended up with the one you suggested. I did realize I was using wrong term for what I needed (Splitter/Switch). I don't know if changing the thread subject is possible !
Don't worry about it. I just like to tell people things to show how smart I am and how dumb they are! Joking of course.

Let us know how it works. I have had great luck in years past with Monoprice 1080p switchers and some other units. Be VERY aware of how cabling impacts every aspect of 4K.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #22 of 22 Old Today, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Don't worry about it. I just like to tell people things to show how smart I am and how dumb they are! Joking of course.

Let us know how it works. I have had great luck in years past with Monoprice 1080p switchers and some other units. Be VERY aware of how cabling impacts every aspect of 4K.
I kept searching on Amazon with "HDMI Splitter" and it kept showing me splitters and I was going crazy because it was not showing me switches ! Then it dawned on me on day

It arrives today and I intend to test it today so I can send the other one back over the weekend (last few days before return is accepted for it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page