New projector replacing Epson 5020ub series - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New projector replacing Epson 5020ub series

I picked up an Epson 5020ub back in 2013 and it appears to have run its course. The device currently is showing a single blue vertical line down the screen. I did some searching and saw that it might just need the LCD ribbon reset or cleaned in place. I attempted this and the results are still the same as before. On random occasions the lines do go away but then end up reappearing.

Having said that, my Epson had many other issues. I think this is the 3rd one I had from the manufacturer of this model with the initial one dying an early death of not being able to start up. I can't recall what the other issues have been but I spent a large amount of time on the phone for warranty issues with this device and it only lasted 7 years. Bulbs never burnt out because it one of the devices lasted that long.

So now I am in the market for a replacement. The projector is located in the basement of my home so I feel like I have pretty good control of the lighting. I have it mounted from the ceiling maybe about 10-14' from the screen. I have an elite 110" screen (ER110WH1) that the image is projected on. I feel like any model projector I buy isn't going to last very long or might have issues, so this time I was thinking of spending less money on a new one. Because of the quality issues I had with my Epson I was thinking of avoiding the brand altogether. At the moment I was thinking of finding a BenQ ht3550 when one goes on sale. I was wondering if others might have opinions or recommendations for a projector at this point in time and how that might fair vs the previous projector I owned.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Theater Build thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post
I picked up an Epson 5020ub back in 2013 and it appears to have run its course. The device currently is showing a single blue vertical line down the screen. I did some searching and saw that it might just need the LCD ribbon reset or cleaned in place. I attempted this and the results are still the same as before. On random occasions the lines do go away but then end up reappearing.

Having said that, my Epson had many other issues. I think this is the 3rd one I had from the manufacturer of this model with the initial one dying an early death of not being able to start up. I can't recall what the other issues have been but I spent a large amount of time on the phone for warranty issues with this device and it only lasted 7 years. Bulbs never burnt out because it one of the devices lasted that long.

So now I am in the market for a replacement. The projector is located in the basement of my home so I feel like I have pretty good control of the lighting. I have it mounted from the ceiling maybe about 10-14' from the screen. I have an elite 110" screen (ER110WH1) that the image is projected on. I feel like any model projector I buy isn't going to last very long or might have issues, so this time I was thinking of spending less money on a new one. Because of the quality issues I had with my Epson I was thinking of avoiding the brand altogether. At the moment I was thinking of finding a BenQ ht3550 when one goes on sale. I was wondering if others might have opinions or recommendations for a projector at this point in time and how that might fair vs the previous projector I owned.

Thanks

Wall color?

There are issues with any projector, DLP may be less affected, but very few DLP's have nice contrast/blacks.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

All colors are flats. Ceilings is white tiles. Wall of screen is a dark blue to black. Walls are a darker grey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All colors are flats. Ceilings is white tiles. Wall of screen is a dark blue to black. Walls are a darker grey.

A projector with nice black level will be affected by the white ceiling. How high is the ceiling?
The rest of the room is well treated.

Can the location where the projector is be moved?

Are you looking for 4K?
Any gaming?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

It isn't a flat row of white tiles. There is a soffit in between that breaks up the white. No chance in moving anything but I have to imagine if I was happy enough with the Epson whenever it would work I would be looking for something comparable in a newer model. It felt like 4k (or faux 4k) with hdr would at least bring it into the modern century at this point. Mostly movies and TV. Little gaming. Not too concerned with input lag. At this point I want a dependable brand than isn't going to require me to reach out to support for a referb replacement after a year.

post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It isn't a flat row of white tiles. There is a soffit in between that breaks up the white. No chance in moving anything but I have to imagine if I was happy enough with the Epson whenever it would work I would be looking for something comparable in a newer model. It felt like 4k (or faux 4k) with hdr would at least bring it into the modern century at this point. Mostly movies and TV. Little gaming. Not too concerned with input lag. At this point I want a dependable brand than isn't going to require me to reach out to support for a referb replacement after a year.

In this budget a projector with ok blacks, 4K (faux or not), HDR support, outside Epson doesn't exist.

The black level on the HT3550 and DLP will be well below of the 5020UB, and can be considered mediocre at best. Only the HT3550 with it's active iris will do a better job, but not by much.

As I said before, problems exist on many projectors, just check out the HT3550 thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-190.html

The forum is where people are more likely to complain, but the launch of the HT3550 has not been smooth.

Options in this budget for 4K DLP's would be Benq HT3550, Optoma UHD50/51/51A, Viewsonic PX7274K.

They will probably fit the setup distance wise, but what they do not have is the lens shift the Epson's have.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm
The Viewsonic has none:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Vie...ulator-pro.htm

At the bottom of each calculator, after inputting the setup details, there is a section called Lens Shift.

If you want to stay with Epson there is a great deal for a refurbished 5040UB:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...-151-00-a.html

It's got lens shift, better blacks, brighter than the DLP's mentioned above, 4K, and a general upgrade over the 5020UB.
It has a 10GB HDMI chip which means it can't do 4K 60Hz HDR. This is usually only for gaming but some streaming services/boxes are locked at 60Hz. To bypass this the bit depth needs to be changed to 8 bit so that 4K 60Hz HDR can fit through the 10GB bandwidth. Can be done with a PC or a similar device, or a HDFury linker.
Additionally, the HDR tone mapping is not great, so some users get a Panasonic UB420/820/9000, or use madvr on a HTPC (with an ok GPU).
The 5050UB has an 18GB HDMI chip and a better HDR tone mapper, although the Panasonic may be useful here as well.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...-151-00-a.html
post #7 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

There are so many projectors to choose from that it's hard to identify a specific one. I am very happy with my UHD50 and it would fit well into your theatre. The UHL55 is getting good reviews in the deal found subforum, and, in theory, it would last for decades without maintenance.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I would be looking at a used JVC. They are built like tanks and are one of the most reliable projectors out there, not that they never have issues and unfortunately out of warranty they are absurdly expensive to fix. Buying used is always a gamble so if your not willing to take the slight chance you could loose all your investment they are a bargain. A JVC RS46/x35 or better and RS400 and up are full 4K/HDR compliant (2X e-shift so half 4K resolution). Be cautious as many sellers are way over priced on their used models. The Epson 5040 refurb if you want a warranty and a very good deal but as you are aware Epson's QC sucks but they do backup their products with an excellent no hassle warranty. IF you decide to go the DLP route I think the Optoma models with an RGBRGB color wheel like the UHD65, UHD50 are definitely sharper at close to full 4K but do expect gray blacks in low contrast scenes in movies compared to your old Epson.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #9 of 14 Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Based on some reviews I thought I saw that the benQ had better sharpness and color than the optoma uhd? The Epson I bought last time was like 2700. It's hard to quantify that price getting under 7 full years of usage. This isn't even my main display. I really debated on just getting an 85" tv, while colors I think will look better it is just going to be too small probably compared to what I have now and the rows of seating. It would seem like getting 5+ years out of a display that isn't used daily should be a reasonable expectation. At thing point it just feels like gambling so if I pick the wrong thing as long as I don't have too much invested maybe new tech will come out that is more reliable. If I knew for sure something would last, dropping 3k would last for 10+ years I would be all in.

I'd have to search to see what types of issues BenQ owners are reporting. Epson was like grinding and flashing lights of death.

Last edited by dbldown768; 01-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 1522
I would recommend a used JVC RS-400 from the classifieds (RS-420 or later if you are a gamer). I know it's a risk, but it's just that much better. I have been around the block with several of these DLP's and other projectors, but always come back to the JVC, it just cannot be beat unfortunately.

Not only is the JVC really bright, but these new ballasts run the lamps much better than most projectors, the lamps stay bright for a long time, it's odd. Never seen a projector hold its brightness like these JVC RS-4xx/5xx, and I'm assuming also the NX series.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #11 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

So on the list would be the benQ 3550. Some form of an optoma. And any thoughts about the Epson 3800. I am really kicking myself to even entertain the Epson.

post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So on the list would be the benQ 3550. Some form of an optoma. And any thoughts about the Epson 3800. I am really kicking myself to even entertain the Epson.
The HC3800 will have similar black level as the HT3550, and can be brighter. Out of the box the Benq will have a better image, and even after the Epson is calibrated the Benq might still have better colors. The Epson being brighter can be used in Eco. The Benq is still bright enough to be used in Eco on an 110" screen.
The Epson has generous lens shift. The Benq is sharper.
If considering Epson, why not the 5040UB? Better blacks, better lenses, quiet, bright enough to use the DCI P3 filter (although it's still possible to use it on the Benq as well, in Full lamp).
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Only because the 5040 sounds like the same problems I experienced with the 5020. Also the 3800 seems to be a new version that only one can hope maybe they fixed some of these other issues. The thing is I know the projector isn't going to look as good as a tv which I have playing right behind in the same room. I ran the 5020 in Eco mode all the time assuming I'd save bulb life not realizing the machine would break every year and a half. The UB might look better in a pitch black room for dark videos but for most things I probably won't even notice. They are in the ballpark of each other for price.

Last edited by dbldown768; 01-15-2020 at 07:04 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 459
You might want to review this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58995502

Again, in theory, a laser projector should last for years with no maintenance.

The ZH403, being DLP, should be noticeably sharper than your 5020 and has HDR support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page