BenQ TK850 4K HDR10/HLG 3000lm Home Entertainment Projector Review/Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #31 of 106 Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Have you looked at the 5040UB refurbished? It's cheaper than both of these and has better blacks, and it's brighter.

What are you looking for in a projector? Good image and good blacks?

Have you considered a used JVC?
My main limitation is room length, which is 158". Epson, JVC, Sony (and many others) have relatively long throw ratios, which would limit screen size to 120". The BenQ with its short throw ratio can give me a 150" image. I did look at UST projectors, but they top out at 120"; the Vava can support 150", but... Vava.

I definitely want great picture quality, but I am not someone that pauses the movie to examine the contrast ratio; it's the overall effect of being immersed in the experience and never have to worry about the technical details -- and that's why image size is equally important. I had a 100" screen, and now I want to go as wide as my room allows, which is 150".

Last edited by johnkol; 01-23-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 Old 01-23-2020, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How does this compare in ambient light viewing compared to the 800m for over $500 less for the refurb?

Most of the watching will be outdoors or in my living room so brightness will trump colors for most of the time
post #33 of 106 Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
My main limitation is room length, which is 158". Epson, JVC, Sony (and many others) have relatively long throw ratios, which would limit screen size to 120". The BenQ with its short throw ratio can give me a 150" screen. I did look at UST projectors, but they top out at 120"; the Vava can support 150", but... Vava.

I definitely want great picture quality, but I am not someone that pauses the movie to examine the contrast ratio; it's the overall effect of being immersed in the experience and never have to worry about the technical details -- and that's why image size is equally important. I had a 100" screen, and now I want to go as wide as my room allows, which is 150".
With that throw there are no options outside the two Benq's here. The issue is I'm not sure if changing the settings on the TK850 to get better blacks will reduce it's brightness advantage. Maybe @sage11x has some insight since he's seen both.

One way the brightness could be improved is by getting a higher gain screen like the Cima Neve ( 1.1 - 1.25) or StudioTek 130 1.3. Manufacturer claims can't always be believed, but these ones are accurate. Other 1.3 fabic like SI Solar White 1.3 has been reported to have sparkles. Best get samples before the screen:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post41128298

If the room is 158" total wall to wall I'm not sure an 150" screen would fit.
Wall to screen - 1-2"
HT3550 depth: 10.3"
Cables at the back: 4"
That would give 142.2" to work with.
Minimum throw is 1.13x.
142.2 / 1.13x = 125.84" screen width
A screen with a width of 125.84" is 144.4" (16:9 format).
johnkol likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 01-23-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 106 Old 01-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan View Post
At 14 mins into his HT3550 review, Scotty mentioned that with the Wide Color Gamut filter engaged, a screen of 120" or less is recommended.
Right, I did notice that, and Cinema mode without the WCG is what I had been considering for the HT3550. But of course if one is not going to use the WCG feature due to the reduced brightness, then one of the main advantages of the HT3550 over the TK850 disappears.

Ironically, the projector that has the requisite brightness to support WCG on a big screen does not have that feature.
post #35 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
One way the brightness could be improved is by getting a higher gain screen like the Cima Neve ( 1.1 - 1.25) or StudioTek 130 1.3.

If the room is 158" total wall to wall I'm not sure an 150" screen would fit.
I looked into higher gain screens, but from what I have read they require a long-throw lens to avoid getting hot spots; I believe the rule of thumb was to use a throw ratio of 1.5 or higher. If someone could still make a retro-reflective screen with 2.4 gain...

You're right, with a room length of 158" I will not get a full 150" image, but it will still be significantly bigger than what I would get with an Epson or JVC.
post #36 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked into higher gain screens, but from what I have read they require a long-throw lens to avoid getting hot spots; I believe the rule of thumb was to use a throw ratio of 1.5 or higher. If someone could still make a retro-reflective screen with 2.4 gain...
That's not really accurate.

A screen with a reflective coating for increased gain can potentially have artifacts, however there is a differentiation between ALR screens which are usually grey and white screens with a slight gain increase.
A grey screen may have a 0.5 base for example. To reach 1.0 or 1.5 even the optical coating needs to raise gain by 0.5 or 1.0 gain.
A screen with a white base already is 1.0 and to reach 1.1 or 1.3 only 0.1 or 0.3 is required.

This makes the white screen much less susceptible to any artifacts. The 1.5x or 1.8 recommendations are for ALR type fabrics, not for what is essentially a white screen.

The quality of the fabric, technology used is also relevant. As it's mentioned above, the SI Solar White even though it's white and only has a 1.3 gain still has some sparkle. The poster did not mention the projector used or the throw range, which are important elements. Some posters have noticed even regular 1.1 white screens sold by Elite and ST can hotspot at ~1.4x throw ratios.

It's unclear what the effect will be with a throw of 1.13x with a projector like the HT3550.
You can inquire on the Steward thread on create a new one here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...hread-112.html

Not many users are open to painting, but with paints you can create a custom shade that is positive gain but not artifact.
For that a thread can be created here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

LE:
Even the Cima Neve with it's slight increase will be beneficial. 0.1 or 0.2 gain means 10 or 20% gain.
To make sure you would have to get samples.
johnkol likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 01-24-2020 at 01:29 AM.
post #37 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I don’t have a TK800M to compare with. I DO have it’s predecessor, the TK800, which is similar to the TK800M. TK800M has the new DMD that lacks the light border and a slightly different lens/throw range.

Compared to the TK800, the Tk850 has significantly improved contrast/blacks. This is largely thanks to the chassis and inclusion of a dynamic iris. To be clear: Both the native AND dynamic black luminance levels are darker than the TK800. The Tk850 has a shorter throw with more lens zoom and a modest amount of vertical lens shift. Tk850 includes a 4K motion enhancer (smoothing) feature as well as a ‘super resolution’ sharpening feature. BenQ touts the HDR Pro Tone mapping inclusion on the TK850 and I do see a significant improvement over the TK800– but I’m not sure how that would compare with the improved TK800M.
Thanks for the reply sage11x - I will be keeping my TK800M for the foreseeable future because I need to use it in partially lit rooms (at home and work). Going with your review, the TK850 seems to have minimal viewing improvement over the TK800M but certainly not worth upgrading due to the price difference.....for me anyways.

I'm looking forward to seeing a side by side comparison video between these two beasts.
sage11x and Ballpeen like this.
post #38 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I’m considering the tk800m but was originally planning on the 3550. Maybe someone here can guide me a bit in the right direction? I found a Tk800m locally new in box for $750. My room is a dedicated theater room but has white walls and ceiling....the front wall behind my screen is matte black. My current projector is 11-11.5’ from the front wall. I think the tk800m’s throw ratio would work better, but I could always just install the 3550 and move my mount closer. Would I benefit from the extra lumens due to the white walls?
post #39 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrandt22 View Post
I’m considering the tk800m but was originally planning on the 3550. Maybe someone here can guide me a bit in the right direction? I found a Tk800m locally new in box for $750. My room is a dedicated theater room but has white walls and ceiling....the front wall behind my screen is matte black. My current projector is 11-11.5’ from the front wall. I think the tk800m’s throw ratio would work better, but I could always just install the 3550 and move my mount closer. Would I benefit from the extra lumens due to the white walls?
How large is the screen?
Any ambient light ?
What type of screen?
post #40 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 2980 Post(s)
Liked: 3086
BenQ TK850 4K HDR10/HLG 3000lm Home Entertainment Projector Review/Owners Thread

Quote:
Reviews and measurements have ranged from ones showing that the 3550 is barely bright enough for a 120" screen, to Scottyroo's assessment that it is bright enough to support a 160" screen. I have a 150" screen in a blacked-out room, so given the ambivalent reviews for the 3550, I started looking at the TK850: if it can deliver 90% of the picture quality of the 3550, with enough brightness to this never being an issue, then I'm sold.

You measured 140 nits on a 100" screen (Cinema mode), which translates to about 62 nits (or 18 ft-L) on a 150" screen; this is adequate but not eye searing. If the 3550 is significantly dimmer, then I don't see how it would work well on a 150" screen.

I do have a Sper Scientific light meter so in principle I could get the 3550, measure it in my room and decide whether it has enough brightness, but I would like to avoid the hassle of buying and returning a projector.

Not sure. I know Scott has a fully light controlled theater space— whereas I’m projecting in my living room. I, personally, wouldn’t recommend the Ht3550 for that size of screen. Especially if you have any plan to use the wide color modes. I’ve been pretty consistent in my recommendation of the HT3550 for screen sizes between 90-120”.

Keep in mind I’m talking about SDR there. I’m also using a colorimeter which isn’t exactly the best tool for the job when measuring lumens. For a dim/dark room I typically setup a projector or monitor for between 60 and 80 cd/m2. I always laugh when I check out a new (SDR only) monitor and it claims 250 nits or more— it just means I’m going to have to drop the brightness to almost nothing to get a comfortable image. My LG ultra gear is currently set at zero for brightness and it’s still pushing near 90 cd/m2.
johnkol likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #41 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Question Input Lag

@sage11x , thank you so much for this review. Whenever I'm anticipating a new BenQ model, even more so, I'm anticipating your review of it.

I was really hoping this would be the model to replace my HT2550, but the input lag seems to be an issue.

Is there any chance that the input lag readings might be improved by disabling MEMC or other features? Would you be open to testing?
sage11x likes this.
post #42 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ TK850 4K HDR10/HLG 3000lm Home Entertainment Projector Review/Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NairB McD View Post
Thanks for the reply sage11x - I will be keeping my TK800M for the foreseeable future because I need to use it in partially lit rooms (at home and work). Going with your review, the TK850 seems to have minimal viewing improvement over the TK800M but certainly not worth upgrading due to the price difference.....for me anyways.

I'm looking forward to seeing a side by side comparison video between these two beasts.

Hm... just to be sure I didn’t miscommunicate, I do think the TK850 has a substantial advantage over the TK800 (not M, I haven’t reviewed the M) in terms of image quality. But whether or not it’s worth the difference in price is another matter and very dependent on the person and the use case.

In either case the TK800M is a fantastic projector. If you’re happy— stick with it!

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Last edited by sage11x; 01-24-2020 at 10:45 AM.
post #43 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkaan View Post
@sage11x , thank you so much for this review. Whenever I'm anticipating a new BenQ model, even more so, I'm anticipating your review of it.

I was really hoping this would be the model to replace my HT2550, but the input lag seems to be an issue.

Is there any chance that the input lag readings might be improved by disabling MEMC or other features? Would you be open to testing?
Thanks, I really do appreciate the kind words!

I did— that measurement was the best I could get with everything off. The ONLY thing I didn’t test is the silent (1080p) mode. Which I can test for you tonight.

I’m willing to bet the discrepancy between BenQ’s estimates and my measurements comes down to input signal. I’m using a 1080p Leo Bodnar and the scaling required might account for the some 8-16ms difference between my score and theirs. Bodnar does make a 4K tester but, unfortunately, it’s $400. And, yeah, I’m not going to be able to do it. Haha.

One of the new models BenQ is working on is a 4K projector aimed specifically at gamers. That’s about all I can say at this point because that’s about all the information there is.
Ballpeen likes this.

post #44 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
The ONLY thing I didn’t test is the silent (1080p) mode. Which I can test for you tonight.
Thank you!
Ya, I have the 1080p Leo myself and with my HT2550, I get around 55ms.
Just curious if you remember how hight it got with MEMC on.
Ballpeen likes this.
post #45 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkaan View Post
Thank you!

Ya, I have the 1080p Leo myself and with my HT2550, I get around 55ms.

Just curious if you remember how hight it got with MEMC on.

I... actually don’t remember. Lol! I’ll test again when I try out silent mode.
Ballpeen likes this.

post #46 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Right, I did notice that, and Cinema mode without the WCG is what I had been considering for the HT3550. But of course if one is not going to use the WCG feature due to the reduced brightness, then one of the main advantages of the HT3550 over the TK850 disappears.

Ironically, the projector that has the requisite brightness to support WCG on a big screen does not have that feature.
You took the words out of my mouth. I'd rather have a more flexible projector that I can use with the lights on or off. I was pleased to read that the TK850 can be tweaked to work in a dark(er) room environment, while maintaining respectable color accuracy.

I thought I read somewhere that the WCG filter on the HT3550 works in conjunction with its RGBRGB color wheel/lamp, and it's not just a simple 'let's add a WCG filter to a TK850 with an RGBW color wheel and hope for the best'. I wish.
sage11x and johnkol like this.
post #47 of 106 Old 01-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
One of the new models BenQ is working on is a 4K projector aimed specifically at gamers. That’s about all I can say at this point because that’s about all the information there is.
First of all, thanks for taking the time to review the TK850!

My hope is that this 'gaming' projector turns out to be a TK850 upgrade, similar to the HT2050 --> HT2050a. A TK850x, with low input lag would win me over.
sage11x and Ballpeen like this.
post #48 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I still prefer the HT3550 on my screen in my room even without the wide color feature engaged. The color accuracy of the HT3550 is near perfect out-of-the-box and the image is a bit richer with truly amazing color saturation. While no DLP has DEEP blacks the Ht3550 does do better here than the TK850 and I suspect this and the aforementioned color quality has a lot to do with the lack of white slice. But, again, my screen is only 100” and while my room is far from ideal, i rarely need to compete with a high degree of ambient light.

There are some things I like about the Tk850 more even in my space: it’s quieter and the dynamic iris is better. But my suspicion is these are things I can chalk up to my Ht3550 being a very early engineering sample.

If I had a larger screen or was looking for a projector to use in a room where controlling ambient light was of greater concern— there is no question I’d go for the Tk850. The dynamic iris is a big deal and gives the Tk850 an advantage over just about every other DLP in this price range. The picture is crazy sharp and while this is no native 4K projector, it’s as close as you can get for anywhere near the price. To my eye, the 3LCD competition is no where near as sharp although I still wish DLP manufacturers would figure out a way to incorporate more lens shift.
johnkol, DunMunro, Jan3 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sage11x; 01-25-2020 at 07:35 AM.
post #49 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan View Post
First of all, thanks for taking the time to review the TK850!

My hope is that this 'gaming' projector turns out to be a TK850 upgrade, similar to the HT2050 --> HT2050a. A TK850x, with low input lag would win me over.

This will be a distinct model. Obviously, things can change, but to get lower input lag is going to require a change in the DMD/XPR system itself. It’s also likely going to require the elimination of the motion smoothing feature (motion smoothing on all DLPs, even when off, adds to lag). We’ll have to see. For now, I’ve retained my trusty Ht2050A which is still one of the best console gaming displays you can buy.

post #50 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still prefer the HT3550 on my screen in my room even without the wide color feature engaged. The color accuracy of the HT3550 is near perfect out-of-the-box and the image is a bit richer with truly amazing color saturation. While no DLP has DEEP blacks the Ht3550 does do better here than the TK850 and I suspect this and the aforementioned color quality has a lot to do with the lack of white slice. But, again, my screen is only 100” and while my room is far from ideal, i rarely need to compete with a high degree of ambient light.

There are some things I like about the Tk850 more even in my space: it’s quieter and the dynamic iris is better. But my suspicion is these are things I can chalk up to my Ht3550 being a very early engineering sample.

If I had a larger screen or was looking for a projector to use in a room where controlling ambient light was of greater concern— there is no question I’d go for the Tk850. The dynamic iris is a big deal and gives the Tk850 an advantage over just about every other DLP in this price range. The picture is crazy sharp and while this is no native 4K projector, it’s as close as you can get for anywhere near the price. To my eye, the 3LCD competition is no where near as sharp although I still wish DLP manufacturers would figure out a way to incorporate more lens shift.
If some higher gain screen (1.1-1.3) would not artifact at 1.13x, considering the HT3350 is not that bright, would that not be a better option than the TK850? Without the WCG filter.
Is brightness in Cinema for instance higher than 30% with the TK850 vs. the HT3550?
The price difference would be favorable to the TK850 though.
post #51 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You're right, with a room length of 158" I will not get a full 150" image, but it will still be significantly bigger than what I would get with an Epson or JVC.
Regarding the ST130 fabric on that setup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
The screen should be mostly invisible except for full white, id be fairly suprised if the screen was very visible(like we typically see with budget materials) even in panning high apl shots(5-10%). Uniformity probably wont be perfect due to the projector and the bit of gain that the material has and the large size(and close seating position?) will definately show some darkening towards the edges. But again, its much less than other materials and nothing that should be distracting. If the st100 totally disappears, the st130 disappears in all but brighter content/panning and even then its subtle. Very nice material very resolved pixel structure.
post #52 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The quality of the fabric, technology used is also relevant. As it's mentioned above, the SI Solar White even though it's white and only has a 1.3 gain still has some sparkle. The poster did not mention the projector used or the throw range, which are important elements. Some posters have noticed even regular 1.1 white screens sold by Elite and ST can hotspot at ~1.4x throw ratios.
Thanks for these pointers, and you're right, what I had in mind were the ALR materials that require a long throw ratio to avoid hotspotting.

I looked at the SI Solar White, but they come in 133" or 160", the first being a bit smaller than desired, the second one won't fit.

The Cima Neve looks promising, but now I'm curious whether I could find a 1.3 gain screen with no hotspotting issues. I'll start researching this.
post #53 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for these pointers, and you're right, what I had in mind were the ALR materials that require a long throw ratio to avoid hotspotting.

I looked at the SI Solar White, but they come in 133" or 160", the first being a bit smaller than desired, the second one won't fit.

The Cima Neve looks promising, but now I'm curious whether I could find a 1.3 gain screen with no hotspotting issues. I'll start researching this.
The ST130 is probably the best 1.3 fabic there is. From the description it does not sound that bad.

I mentioned it before, but paints will allow for a custom screen to be made, with exact the right amount of gain before it begins to have artifacts. Not to mention the price difference, these high end screens can be expensive.
post #54 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Not sure. I know Scott has a fully light controlled theater space— whereas I’m projecting in my living room. I, personally, wouldn’t recommend the Ht3550 for that size of screen. Especially if you have any plan to use the wide color modes. I’ve been pretty consistent in my recommendation of the HT3550 for screen sizes between 90-120”.
Wasn't planning on using WCG. To be honest, all the pictures I have seen comparing WCG on and off, I either do not really see a big difference, or I end up preferring WCG off. As you've said many times, pictures on the internet, so my conclusion could be completely off; do you really see a big advantage when WCG is active, and do the pictures fail to capture this effect?
sage11x likes this.
post #55 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
The ST130 is probably the best 1.3 fabic there is. From the description it does not sound that bad.

I mentioned it before, but paints will allow for a custom screen to be made, with exact the right amount of gain before it begins to have artifacts. Not to mention the price difference, these high end screens can be expensive.
You're right, the Studiotek has stellar reviews, but again sizes are either 135" or 160".

I have followed a lot of the painted screen discussions, and I have considered following MississippiMan's recipe quite a few times, but in the end I have to admit that this project is beyond my DIY capabilities. Mixing ingredients in precise amounts, using a spray gun, following artist-like instructions on how to spray a wall... there are so many things that I could screw up, that I do not consider this a viable option anymore.

If there was an off-the-shelf paint that one could apply with a roller and get good results, then yes, but otherwise screens are my only option.
post #56 of 106 Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right, the Studiotek has stellar reviews, but again sizes are either 135" or 160".

I have followed a lot of the painted screen discussions, and I have considered following MississippiMan's recipe quite a few times, but in the end I have to admit that this project is beyond my DIY capabilities. Mixing ingredients in precise amounts, using a spray gun, following artist-like instructions on how to spray a wall... there are so many things that I could screw up, that I do not consider this a viable option anymore.

If there was an off-the-shelf paint that one could apply with a roller and get good results, then yes, but otherwise screens are my only option.
Some of these companies may be able to make a screen for the size you need. Contact them directly or inquire on their threads in the screens section:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/
post #57 of 106 Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wasn't planning on using WCG. To be honest, all the pictures I have seen comparing WCG on and off, I either do not really see a big difference, or I end up preferring WCG off. As you've said many times, pictures on the internet, so my conclusion could be completely off; do you really see a big advantage when WCG is active, and do the pictures fail to capture this effect?

The wide color filter does make a significant difference, IMO. But the cost to lumens is substantial. You really need a light controlled room and a small-ish screen to take advantage of it.

But, yes, even without the color filter I do think the HT3550 has the better image— again, assuming you’re not trying to compete with a lot of ambient light and not trying to push a huge screen. My guess is the TK850 will meet a lot more people’s needs but for my little 100” screen in my space the Ht3550 works just fine.

post #58 of 106 Old 01-26-2020, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If some higher gain screen (1.1-1.3) would not artifact at 1.13x, considering the HT3350 is not that bright, would that not be a better option than the TK850? Without the WCG filter.
Is brightness in Cinema for instance higher than 30% with the TK850 vs. the HT3550?
The price difference would be favorable to the TK850 though.

I would have to test the Ht3550’s output to be sure. Stay tuned.

The HT3550 doesn’t look nearly as dim as some of the tests of it’s lumen output would suggest. My guess is this has a lot to do with it’s color brightness / color volume. On my neutral gain 100” Silver ticket the Ht3550 has enough output in vivid to stand up to some ambient light. But you really have to run the lamp in normal. I don’t think I’ve had to take the TK850 out of eco more than once or twice and that was in cases where I was really trying to wash out it’s image.

post #59 of 106 Old 01-28-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
But, yes, even without the color filter I do think the HT3550 has the better image— again, assuming you’re not trying to compete with a lot of ambient light and not trying to push a huge screen. My guess is the TK850 will meet a lot more people’s needs but for my little 100” screen in my space the Ht3550 works just fine.
No ambient light, my room is completely blacked out, but the screen will be 150". Another member (Lewmatic1) who had both projectors was reporting that the difference in brightness between the two was minimal, but the contrast differences were huge (favoring the 3550 obviously). The pictures he posted looked damning for the black levels of the TK850, which looked not black at all, but rather gray; your review seems to have noted similar black-level performance.

In your review of the HT3550 you did not post any measurements; did you ever get the chance to measure it the way you did the TK850?
post #60 of 106 Old 01-28-2020, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
No ambient light, my room is completely blacked out, but the screen will be 150". Another member (Lewmatic1) who had both projectors was reporting that the difference in brightness between the two was minimal, but the contrast differences were huge (favoring the 3550 obviously). The pictures he posted looked damning for the black levels of the TK850, which looked not black at all, but rather gray; your review seems to have noted similar black-level performance.

In your review of the HT3550 you did not post any measurements; did you ever get the chance to measure it the way you did the TK850?
A 150in screen has over twice the area of a 100in screen. Even if the TK850 had twice the minimum lumen level as an HT3550 when both are at 100in, when the TK850 is displayed on a 150in screen, it's minimum lumen level will be the same as the HT3550 at 100in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page