BenQ TK850 4K HDR10/HLG 3000lm Home Entertainment Projector Review/Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #121 of 125 Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab373 View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the HDR.

Yes, I was also surprised with the TK850 half screen problem but it was surely there. That TK850 was manufactured in December. I am hoping the new one I ordered does not have this problem.

Me too! let me know how the new one works out.

I’️ve been exceedingly happy with my TK850 experience so far. I still prefer the Ht3550’️s image but, I have to say, the TK850 is a bit more refined than the sample HT3550 I have. It’️s quiet for such a compact model, BenQ has clearly made improvements to the iris, and the added brightness does a really good job of transforming this projector into a display for just about any application. Well except maybe gaming. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks, I really like the TK850 also. It has a great picture and great controls. I will let you know when my new TK850 is installed.

I do have a question - when you change lamp modes from Normal to Eco or to SmartEco or back does the image changes brightness one half of a screen at a time? Or does the whole screen changes brightness at once?

This was part of how I recovered from the half screen problem but I was surprised that the whole image did not change at once but one half screen at a time I even when there was no problem.

Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 Old 03-20-2020, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tk850>HT3550 reflected light?

So I'm presently debating HT3550 vs. TK850 to replace my HT2050, suitability for my room being the biggest determinate....I'm leaning towards TK850, hence posting in this particular thread.

My room is mixed use basement, white walls and ceiling to white 106" projector screen. With my HT2050 we have some washout with all lights out, due to reflection from the ceiling and nearby wall, which has me thinking if I selected an HT3550 with only 2000 lumens (ie. lower than HT2050), the washout will be even worse/more noticeable/negate any of the 'deeper blacks' claimed vs. adjusting the TK850 favourably for the situation. Typically we watch with all the lights out, blackout blinds drawn, occasional sports/some lights on if buddies are over, but 90%+ is in as dark as I can get it. I would love to treat the room dark/black.....my wife....not so much, lol

Any thoughts to help sway me one way or another? Essentially I'm of the opinion that I may not get full colour accuracy with the TK850, but perhaps I could rely upon its superior brightness to help negate the reflected light from the room despite its darkness. Am I nuts?

Edit: Perhaps splitting the difference with something like an Optoma UHD50 could make sense.

(The HT2050 I presently has if is having some lamp/colour wheel issues, so I'm going to take the thing apart and try and fix it, but I'm in need a second projector anyway.)

Last edited by bryz; 03-20-2020 at 09:44 AM.
post #123 of 125 Old 03-20-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryz View Post
So I'm presently debating HT3550 vs. TK850 to replace my HT2050, suitability for my room being the biggest determinate....I'm leaning towards TK850, hence posting in this particular thread.

My room is mixed use basement, white walls and ceiling to white 106" projector screen. With my HT2050 we have some washout with all lights out, due to reflection from the ceiling and nearby wall, which has me thinking if I selected an HT3550 with only 2000 lumens (ie. lower than HT2050), the washout will be even worse/more noticeable/negate any of the 'deeper blacks' claimed vs. adjusting the TK850 favourably for the situation. Typically we watch with all the lights out, blackout blinds drawn, occasional sports/some lights on if buddies are over, but 90%+ is in as dark as I can get it. I would love to treat the room dark/black.....my wife....not so much, lol

Any thoughts to help sway me one way or another? Essentially I'm of the opinion that I may not get full colour accuracy with the TK850, but perhaps I could rely upon its superior brightness to help negate the reflected light from the room despite its darkness. Am I nuts?

Edit: Perhaps splitting the difference with something like an Optoma UHD50 could make sense.

(The HT2050 I presently has if is having some lamp/colour wheel issues, so I'm going to take the thing apart and try and fix it, but I'm in need a second projector anyway.)
The TK850 will be worse in that room than the HT3550. The UHD50 is roughly the same king of projector as the HT3550, but the HT3550 would edge the Optoma out.

How about a curtain type system? Show her this video:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

I (personally) also not recommend a grey screen + TK850/HT3550. It will dull the image with the HT3550 and the a grey + TK850 will still have poor black level.

Screen options not excessively priced don't exist, the only way to get a good screen here is to paint. The wall or a smooth white PVC screen.

If painting/curtain system is not possible then the best solution is the HT3550 unfortunately, and overall similar blacks to the HT2050.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 125 Old 03-21-2020, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
You're right, the Studiotek has stellar reviews, but again sizes are either 135" or 160".

I have followed a lot of the painted screen discussions, and I have considered following MississippiMan's recipe quite a few times, but in the end I have to admit that this project is beyond my DIY capabilities. Mixing ingredients in precise amounts, using a spray gun, following artist-like instructions on how to spray a wall... there are so many things that I could screw up, that I do not consider this a viable option anymore.

If there was an off-the-shelf paint that one could apply with a roller and get good results, then yes, but otherwise screens are my only option.
I used Sherwin Williams Unique Gray color flat finish in their Emerald line. I rolled on two coats, sanding in-between. This paint goes on very smoothly, and I would say the finish is essentially flawless. The gray is a massive improvement over white, and there are several known neutral gray shades that you can choose depending on how bright your projector is and how much ambient light you have. I fiddle with my image size frequently, the gray wall allows me to not worry about the size or dimensions, plus I am generally just not a fan of screens. I think the gray wall looks best with an even image, no hot spots, etc. I have followed the creation of Black Widow and so many other formulas, but was always too lazy to put the effort into mixing and testing, etc.
maglo125 likes this.
post #125 of 125 Old Today, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuonline View Post
Just installed a TK850. Have a mixed feeling so far. Are there any settings that worked well for anyone here? If so, would you mind sharing? Thanks!
I'm in this boat. I'd really like to hear what you had issues with. For me I love the brightness and the resolution on computer sources, the Smithsonian's gigapixel tour is absolutely amazing. But here is a list of issues I'm encountering:
- I have a magenta or green outline on any high contrast items, it seems to be a little more than a pixel wide (looking at Sage's screen shots it looks like he has a thinner blue outline that is much less obnoxious, but still present). This is even present on Benq's setup pages such as keystone correction.
- Major pixelation issues on video sources. Sometimes it is the entire screen, at other times I can get a clear image, but random items on screen will be pixelated next to stuff that is crystal clear. I thought maybe my internet was having trouble with the high-def, so I throttled back to 720p, and it was still heavily present. Then I switched to my old projector, and the image looked perfect again. I keep turning down the projector's many video processing settings, and I can improve this, but I can't get rid of it.
- Colors gradients are very blocky, again, these colors were are much smoother when I pause and swtich the cable to an older projector.
- I can't focus the right and left sides of the screen at the same time (and yes I made sure I am dead center and shooting at 90 degrees to the wall) This isn't as noticeable with images, but very noticeable with computer text.
- Changing certain settings results in a black screen for 10 seconds.
- Changing certain settings results in the setting being applied slowly over four different areas of the screen one by one.
- All menus are slow, even key-stoning is slow.

I'm wondering if anyone else is dealing with these issues, or if I got a bad machine, or need to perform a firmware upgrade, or something altogether. Many of the reviews I read said that this was a very refined machine, but not even close here.

Last edited by rdcollns; Today at 02:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page