Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Best Projector for HDR

Hey guys. I’ve been out of the game for the last 3 years or so because I’ve been quite happy with my current BenQ HT3050. With that said, the wife has given the OK to upgrade the theater with a shiny new projector! The room is 19’ long x 17’ wide x 9’ ceilings and the screen is 16x9 140”. The room is 100% light controlled.

So basically I’m trying to find out which projector has the best HDR in the less than $2,000 price range.

What concerns me the most is I’m not up to date on all of the different formats for HDR. I’ve seen a lot of talk (a couple years ago) with certain players not being compatible with certain projectors for certain modes. ie the Xbox One S might not be compatible with the Epson 5040 for 10bit. Not sure exactly what all of this means as I’ve been gone for so long.

So any help/recommendations here would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-25-2020, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Hey guys. I’ve been out of the game for the last 3 years or so because I’ve been quite happy with my current BenQ HT3050. With that said, the wife has given the OK to upgrade the theater with a shiny new projector! The room is 19’ long x 17’ wide x 9’ ceilings and the screen is 16x9 140”. The room is 100% light controlled.

So basically I’m trying to find out which projector has the best HDR in the less than $2,000 price range.

What concerns me the most is I’m not up to date on all of the different formats for HDR. I’ve seen a lot of talk (a couple years ago) with certain players not being compatible with certain projectors for certain modes. ie the Xbox One S might not be compatible with the Epson 5040 for 10bit. Not sure exactly what all of this means as I’ve been gone for so long.

What color are the walls?

Not sure about the 5040UB and the Xbox S. If it can output 4K HDR up tp 30Hz in 10 bit it's fine.
If 60Hz is required than a HDFury linker can drop the bit depth to 8 bit. Might be other boxes can do the same.
A Panasonic UB420/820/9000 can improve the HDR tone mapping.

Is the Xbox the only source?

A projector with a tone mapper is required. There are a few models: Epson HC3800, Benq HT3550 which is 15% less bright than the HT3050, Epson HC4010 (10GB HDMI), TK850, Optoma UHD51 (and variants).
Each manufacturer has it's own algorithm for HDR tone mapping.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Hey guys. I’️ve been out of the game for the last 3 years or so because I’️ve been quite happy with my current BenQ HT3050. With that said, the wife has given the OK to upgrade the theater with a shiny new projector! The room is 19’️ long x 17’️ wide x 9’️ ceilings and the screen is 16x9 140”. The room is 100% light controlled.

So basically I’️m trying to find out which projector has the best HDR in the less than $2,000 price range.

What concerns me the most is I’️m not up to date on all of the different formats for HDR. I’️ve seen a lot of talk (a couple years ago) with certain players not being compatible with certain projectors for certain modes. ie the Xbox One S might not be compatible with the Epson 5040 for 10bit. Not sure exactly what all of this means as I’️ve been gone for so long.

What color are the walls?

Not sure about the 5040UB and the Xbox S. If it can output 4K HDR up tp 30Hz in 10 bit it's fine.
If 60Hz is required than a HDFury linker can drop the bit depth to 8 bit. Might be other boxes can do the same.
A Panasonic UB420/820/9000 can improve the HDR tone mapping.

Is the Xbox the only source?

A projector with a tone mapper is required. There are a few models: Epson HC3800, Benq HT3550 which is 15% less bright than the HT3050, Epson HC4010 (10GB HDMI), TK850, Optoma UHD51 (and variants).
Each manufacturer has it's own algorithm for HDR tone mapping.
The walls are very dark grey and the ceiling is black. The entire screen wall is blacked out for that matter with an AT screen and speakers behind.

The scenario with the Xbox compatibility was just a for instance. I don’t know that that is an actual scenario. I had just been reading a lot of problems similar to that back when I was researching 4K and HDR.

I will also be buying a new 4K Bluray player but haven’t started researching any yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The walls are very dark grey and the ceiling is black. The entire screen wall is blacked out for that matter with an AT screen and speakers behind.

The scenario with the Xbox compatibility was just a for instance. I don’t know that that is an actual scenario. I had just been reading a lot of problems similar to that back when I was researching 4K and HDR.

I will also be buying a new 4K Bluray player but haven’t started researching any yet.
Is the 3050 bright enough for a 140" AT screen?

What kind of source will it have?
post #5 of 37 Old 01-25-2020, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. It’s plenty bright enough for the screen and room.

When you say what source... I’ve got a Samsung Blu-ray player, Xbox one s, ps4, shield tv and Mac mini all connected to my Denon AVR-X4400H.
post #6 of 37 Old 01-25-2020, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All those sources and no HTPC. Madvr is probably the best tone mapper, I use it on my W2000(HT3050). But it requires a PC with a GPU >GTX1060. No streaming. For streaming the upcoming Madvr Envy, but it's very expensive.

There are two issues:

Tone mapping the HDR signal to what the projector can do. HDR tone mapping is a new feature and not mature (on projectors). For an easy upgrade just get the HT3550. It's got an ok HDR tone mapper and 18GB HDMI. Or the UHD51. The HC3800 is much brighter than these two.

As it's mentioned before, some users have the Panasonic which can do the tone mapping. Not 100% sure, but I think the Panasonic can even work with the HT3050, tone map an HDR signal and downscale it to 1080p. It has a few streaming apps.

The 820/9000 have support for Dolby Vision, which no projector supports.
You can read on each individual threads, this one is for the 420:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...available.html

If the HT3050 is bright enough, then maybe so is an used JVC. Very nice blacks and picture. There might be some 4K (pixel shifter) in that budget.

The 5040UB is brighter than the JVC but does not have as nice blacks as the JVC, but better than the HT3550/UHD51/HC3800.
Advanced JVC and Epson users have used custom curves. You can read about it here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-625.html

The other is the 10GB HDMI limitation. As it's mentioned before, the bit depth needs to be dropped to 8bit where 60Hz is required.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-26-2020, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 611
The BenQ 3550 is the logical next step but will have no better contrast then what you have. In a nice blacked out room like you describe I would be looking at something with better contrast especially if "Movies" are primary. That limits you to Epson UB models at the low end and JVC and Sony at the higher end. All of these new are over your budget. The refurbished Epson 5040 is the only one in budget with the 10Gb HDMI limitation and very poor internal tone mapping. A used JVC RS400 or better if your not gaming or RS420 or better if you do game should also be within your budget but of course no warranty. With any 4K/HDR capable projector expect to also have to upgrade all your HDMI cables to 600mhz certified cables. Assuming you have an AVR is it also HDCP 2.2 compliant?
nathan_h likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 37 Old 01-26-2020, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

I'd suggest looking at the TK800M, TK850, UHD51A/UHD51ALV/UHD52ALV. The ZH403 laser projector should also be nice upgrade; it's 1080p but accepts 4K HDR signals and outputs HDR 1080p.

I use my UHD50 on a 145in grey painted screen and I'm quite happy with it. I recently paired it with a Panasonic UB420 4K BD player and the two work really well together for DVDs, BDs 4K BDs and Netflix and Prime Video as it's HDR Optimizer really makes a difference.

Last edited by DunMunro; 01-26-2020 at 03:13 AM.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for the feedback all. I’m picking up the Panasonic 420 right now to get that out of the way.

Any thoughts on the Epson 3800? I see it at BB right now for $1500 and I have a 10% off coupon for my birthday. Is that worth considering?

At the moment I’m right in between the 3550 and 51A.
post #10 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok. Thanks for the feedback all. I’m picking up the Panasonic 420 right now to get that out of the way.

Any thoughts on the Epson 3800? I see it at BB right now for $1500 and I have a 10% off coupon for my birthday. Is that worth considering?

At the moment I’m right in between the 3550 and 51A.
As other have noted above, the HC3800/3550/51A have at best mediocre blacks/contrast, similar to the HT3050. The HC3800/TK850/UHD52ALV are living room projectors designed to work with some ambient light.

That room can handle a projector with good black levels and contrast, which will provide the greatest improvement in picture quality. Options here would be refurbished 5040UB, used JVC (best PQ), or even a 5050UB.
post #11 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Best Projector for HDR

HDR is difficult for most displays and especially so for projectors. Simply put: most projectors don’t have the output or per pixel control to do The ‘high dynamic range’ of HDR justice. HOWEVER, projectors can now take advantage of the expanded color gamut present in an HDR signal. IMO, this makes for a significant improvement in picture fidelity but comes at the cost of a significant hit to lumen output. Essentially, you need a light controlled environment (not just a room you can shut out all the lights— I’m talking controlling room reflections) and a not so large screen (120” or less) if you want to take advantage of the wide color mode on a lamp projector.

In your budget range there are only two options with wide color capability: the BenQ HT3550 and the Epson 4010. Both are excellent projectors but are markedly different in execution. The BenQ is a compact, lightweight, full 4K DLP with a short throw and limited zoom/shift. The Epson is a large (!), simulated 4K (none of the Epsons are full 4K) with gobs of lens shift/zoom and is the least expensive projector to feature a motorized lens with memory.

Even outside their wide color capabilities, these would be my two top recommendations for 4K capable projectors under $2k if image quality in a dim/dark room is the primary concern. If you have other priorities— like competing with ambient light— then the aforementioned Epson 3800, Optoma UHD51alv or JUST released BenQ TK850 might be a better option.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 01-27-2020 at 11:43 AM.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
HDR is difficult for most displays and especially so for projectors. Simply put: most projectors don’️t have the output or per pixel control to do The ‘high dynamic range’️ of HDR justice. HOWEVER, projectors can now take advantage of the expanded color gamut present in an HDR signal. IMO, this makes for a significant improvement in picture fidelity but comes at the cost of a significant hit to lumen output. Essentially, you need a light controlled environment (not just a room you can shut out all the lights— I’️m talking controlling room reflections) and a not so large screen (120” or less).

In your budget range there are only two options with wide color capability: the BenQ HT3550 and the Epson 4010. Both are excellent projectors but are markedly different in execution. The BenQ is a compact, lightweight, full 4K DLP with a short throw and limited zoom/shift. The Epson is a large (!), simulated 4K (none of the Epsons are full 4K) with gobs of lens shift/zoom and is the least expensive projector to feature a motorized lens with memory.
My room is 100% light controlled. Dark grey walls, flat black ceiling and blacked out screen wall. No windows. However, my screen is 140”. Are you saying that none of the projectors mentioned will give me a great 4K HDR experience? If that’s the case then there’s no need to spend money on an upgrade right?
nathan_h likes this.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Best Projector for HDR

Quote:
My room is 100% light controlled. Dark grey walls, flat black ceiling and blacked out screen wall. No windows. However, my screen is 140”. Are you saying that none of the projectors mentioned will give me a great 4K HDR experience? If that’s the case then there’s no need to spend money on an upgrade right?

No, there is a reason to upgrade. But you have to temper your expectations. The bigger upgrade for a projector is the increase in resolution— and that will be immediately noticeable on a 140” screen! Next will be color capability assuming the projector has the ability to display more than rec709. As for that retina searing brightness everyone is after: Projectors struggle here. There IS a difference but it’s much more subtle than the above facotrs.

On a tv, that equation is reversed. On a tv, HDR— specifically it’s ability to display high brightness— seems to be at the top of the importance list. Color is still important but resolution is the least important because, to be blunt, the screen is too small for the advantages of 4K to really be seen at normal seating distances.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 01-27-2020 at 11:54 AM.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No, there is a reason to upgrade. But you have to temper your expectations. The bigger upgrade for a projector is the increase in resolution— and that will be immediately noticeable on a 140” screen! Next will be color capability assuming the projector has the ability to display more than rec709. As for that retina searing brightness everyone is after: Projectors struggle here. There IS a difference but it’s much more subtle than the above facotrs.

On a tv, that equation is reversed. On a tv, HDR— specifically it’s ability to display high brightness— seems to be at the top of the importance list. Color is still important but resolution is the least important because, to be blunt, the screen is too small for the advantages of 4K to really be seen at normal seating distances.
Ok, I think I'm tracking. So basically, instead of asking what is the best projector for HDR, I should be asking what is the best projector to get the best 4K PQ? In that case, would the recommendations of 3550, 4010 and 51A still be the top in the conversation?
post #15 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm tracking. So basically, instead of asking what is the best projector for HDR, I should be asking what is the best projector to get the best 4K PQ? In that case, would the recommendations of 3550, 4010 and 51A still be the top in the conversation?
At 140in, paired with a UB420, I know that my UHD50 would look really good, cause it looks good at 145in on my grey screen.

The thing is, and maybe Sage11x can comment, but IMHO the higher light output of a TK850 or TK800 really helps boost the 'HDR effect' - which IMHO, pertains to having really bright highlights next to darker areas and much smoother colour and contrast gradations. I noticed the same when I tested a PX-747-4k, yes, there a small sacrifice in colour accuracy but the overall brightness is nice to have and 'true 4k' is exquisitely sharp.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
At 140in, paired with a UB420, I know that my UHD50 would look really good, cause it looks good at 145in on my grey screen.

The thing is, and maybe Sage11x can comment, but IMHO the higher light output of a TK850 or TK800 really helps boost the 'HDR effect' - which IMHO, pertains to having really bright highlights next to darker areas and much smoother colour and contrast gradations. I noticed the same when I tested a PX-747-4k, yes, there a small sacrifice in colour accuracy but the overall brightness is nice to have and 'true 4k' is exquisitely sharp.
Thanks for that. Makes me feel better about dropping the $$.

So I’m pretty much down to the 51A and the 3550. 51A is $1,199 right now and the 3550 is $1,699 both on Amazon.

What say ye all in which one to go with? I’m leaning 51A considering it’s almost a third cheaper!
post #17 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that. Makes me feel better about dropping the $$.

So I’m pretty much down to the 51A and the 3550. 51A is $1,199 right now and the 3550 is $1,699 both on Amazon.

What say ye all in which one to go with? I’m leaning 51A considering it’s almost a third cheaper!
On a smaller screen (~100in), I would recommend the HT3550 because it is overall more capable, but on a 140in screen I would probably go for the UHD51A and I would also look hard at the UHD51ALV:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ALV-review.htm

because of the extra lumens and still acceptable colour.
post #18 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's some confusion about what HDR is and what would be the best solution for it.

HDR video usually has several separate components:

Resolution.
It's usually 4K.
4K on 3LCD (Epson) and some older JVC's have ~4m (addressable) pixels (1080p has ~2m). Native 4K and DLP 4K have ~8m pixels.
Besides pixel count, lens quality also matter. For instance, Epson HC4xxx and 5xxx/6xxxUB series have better lenses than the Benq HT3550/TK850. The 4K Optomas also have better lenses than the Benq. The issue of what is the sharpest type of device is not settled, there is a debate over what appears sharper, with different opinions.
The source is also relevant. Most movies have been shot in 2K and repacked as 4K. There is a difference between those shot in 4K. Only around 80 titles have been shot in 4K, excluding TV. Upscaled 1080p sources can also be an improvement over 1080p.
Contrast is known to increase sharpness perception.

Wide Color Gamut/WCG.
This is an expanded color gamut, that is sometimes measured in DCI P3, Rec.2020, or as a positive to Rec.709. The HT3050 covers ~ 100% of Rec.709, or ~71% of DCI P3.
Calibration and projector preset affect color accuracy.
The 4K Optoma's can cover ~80% of DCI P3, The Epson HC3800 between 71-75% (with calibration), Benq HT3550/TK850 ~85%, Epson HC4xxx and 5xxx/6xxxUB ~87%.
The HT3550 and Epson HC4xxx and 5xxx/6xxxUB series can expand coverage to 100% or more via a filter. This filter reduces brightness by 30-40% on the HT3550 and 50% on the three Epson series mentioned earlier. The others don't have a filter.
Considering the screen is 140" AT the HT3550 is much to dim to be used with a filter.
For instance with the Epson 5050UB (and HC4xxx series) mounted closest to the screen Bright Cinema (with filter) on Eco has ~1400 lumens. Half would be 700. If the HT3050 is bright enough than so will the Epsons be.
Many users don't use the filter on the Epsons for this reason since it covers some part of the DCI P3 gamut and they prefer the brightness to covering the rest of the gamut.
Not exactly sure how much the filter takes from older JVC, the ones that have it.

Bit depth.
For the expanded color gamut and grading it was considered that a display that can display more grading will be better. 1080p with 256, while 4K with 1024.
As it's mentioned above, some projectors like the 5040UB only have a 10GB HDMI which limits the bandwidth so that 4K HDR 60Hz 10bit is too much. The bit depth needs to be dropped to 8bit to fit in the 10GB bandwidth. Dropping the bit depth will make the image more susceptible to banding, however haven't seen any reports.
@DaGamePimp had a 10GB Epson projector with a HDFury linker, maybe he can provide more details.

Grading/Mastering.
SDR video is mastered to 100nits in the 0-256 range, with 16 being black and 235 white. HDR is mastered to 1000/4000 nits or higher 0 being black and 1024 being white (or something like that). Obviously projectors can't reach this nit value, average around 100 nits. Each manufacturer has it's own algorithm for tone mapping the HDR video to what the projector can actually do. This is a new feature on projectors and results can vary in quality. External boxes like the Panasonic can also do that.

These four components don't have to be linked together. For instance 1080p with WCG exists, 4K without WCG and mastered to 100 nits also exists, etc.

Having said ALL that, the other components for what makes an image look best still apply. Arguably the most important is contrast and black level. While people are different and may like different things, generally speaking an image with proper black level, good colors, is what would be pleasing to most.

A projector like the 5040UB or a used JVC that have good blacks (especially the JVC) and colors will be superior to any of the DLP mentioned above. Even if some JVC models don't have 4K or WCG, they will still produce a better image than the latest 4K DLP's. The Panasonic will convert the image to the appropriate resolution and color gamut.

The projector with the best image should be selected, not the latest iteration with "features" that still don't match good quality projectors.

The UHD51/52ALV or TK850 are living room projectors for ambient light, not dark room projectors. They sacrifice everything for brightness. If you want to purposefully buy an inferior product than go with any of the DLP mentioned above.
DigVid likes this.
post #19 of 37 Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The UHD51/52ALV or TK850 are living room projectors for ambient light, not dark room projectors. They sacrifice everything for brightness. If you want to purposefully buy an inferior product than go with any of the DLP mentioned above.
I think the review makes it clear that the UHD51ALV is more than just optimized for ambient light viewing, as are the TK800M and TK850. These projectors are able to achieve ~100% of Rec709 (same as HT3050) and still have good dynamic contrast. On a larger screen the extra lumens will help with HDR content, and to an extent the UB420 HDR optimizer can assist with this, by helping to preserve highlight details, and by preventing the blacks from being crushed, so that the 10/12bit HDR content and high lumen output can be put to best use.
post #20 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the review makes it clear that the UHD51ALV is more than just optimized for ambient light viewing, as are the TK800M and TK850. These projectors are able to achieve ~100% of Rec709 (same as HT3050) and still have good dynamic contrast. On a larger screen the extra lumens will help with HDR content, and to an extent the UB420 HDR optimizer can assist with this, by helping to preserve highlight details, and by preventing the blacks from being crushed, so that the 10/12bit HDR content and high lumen output can be put to best use.
I have to say that dynamic contrast on the 51ALV and others is subjective, but it's really not. It's objectively inferior to the Epson 5040/5050UB, even some older JVC's.

5040+Panasonic+HDFury linker is probably about the same price as the two models here.

In this particular setup, what would look better, SDR + HDR, a 52ALV/TK850 or a 5040/5050UB or even 4K pixel shifter used JVC? The answer is obvious.
post #21 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have to say that dynamic contrast on the 51ALV and others is subjective, but it's really not. It's objectively inferior to the Epson 5040/5050UB, even some older JVC's.

5040+Panasonic+HDFury linker is probably about the same price as the two models here.

In this particular setup, what would look better, SDR + HDR, a 52ALV/TK850 or a 5040/5050UB or even 4K pixel shifter used JVC? The answer is obvious.
4K mastered HDR content may well look better on a UHD51A/or 51ALV than on an HC5040, especially on a larger screen; it would depend on content and personal preferences, etc. Having to add expensive components, and their associated complexity to overcome the limitations of the 5040, is also problematic.

If someone buys a new projector (or refurbed through many online outlets) and it doesn't meet their needs, they can typically return it. Refurbed Epson projectors cannot be returned unless defective and then only exchanged. Used projectors may be DOA on arrival and getting a return may not be easy or even impossible. The size and throw ratios of the Epson (and noise on high lamp) and JVC projectors is also a factor, along with their shorter lamp life.
post #22 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4K mastered HDR content may well look better on a UHD51A/or 51ALV than on an HC5040, especially on a larger screen; it would depend on content and personal preferences, etc. Having to add expensive components, and their associated complexity to overcome the limitations of the 5040, is also problematic.

If someone buys a new projector (or refurbed through many online outlets) and it doesn't meet their needs, they can typically return it. Refurbed Epson projectors cannot be returned unless defective and then only exchanged. Used projectors may be DOA on arrival and getting a return may not be easy or even impossible. The size and throw ratios of the Epson (and noise on high lamp) and JVC projectors is also a factor, along with their shorter lamp life.
It's close to absurd to suggest that HDR a 4K DLP could look better than a 5040UB or RS400/420. In that room especially. I don't know in what kind of scenario that would be the case, but overall it's a much better experience with the higher contrast models. The HDR tone mapping software on these models is far from perfect.

The Panasonic 420 and HDFury linker are not expensive components and they've been used successfully in combination with the 5040UB and others.

The 5040UB has better blacks, colors, can even be used with a filter, lower lag, is brighter than any of the DLP's mentioned here. If OP is happy with the brightness from the HT3050 than Eco lamp would be fine, quieter than the HT3050 even.

I don't the conditions of purchasing an refurbished 5040UB, but why would it not have the same consumer protection as any other product? And why would someone want to return if it doesn't meet their needs.
What needs will a 5040UB not meet that a 52ALV will? It's better in every way, with the exception of perhaps a few areas: perceived sharpness. It's smaller and lighter. Less likelihood of dust blobs.

I am still skeptical of the 15 000 hours advertised hours on some of the new models. If the claim is true yes, Epson lamps cost per hour would be more expensive, but it's a better product, but I'm still waiting from some testimonials from users with over 10 000h per lamp.
Same with JVC. Used is always a risk and it's up to OP to decide if it's worth it. One avenue is purchasing from users of this forum, which some are more trustworthy than others.

There are two more questions @scotty3x3

How much is the projector used, per year/day?

How far away is the projector from the screen?

What kind of mount is being used?
DigVid likes this.
post #23 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

MAYBE 2 movies per week and random events like the Super Bowl or PPV Boxing/MMA. Not used a ton.

The screen is between 11.5’ and 12.5’ from the projector.

The mount is just some fairly inexpensive universal mount I bought from Amazon when I bought the new house. Inexpensive, yes, but it can be adjusted all 3 directions.
post #24 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
MAYBE 2 movies per week and random events like the Super Bowl or PPV Boxing/MMA. Not used a ton.

The screen is between 11.5’ and 12.5’ from the projector.

The mount is just some fairly inexpensive universal mount I bought from Amazon when I bought the new house. Inexpensive, yes, but it can be adjusted all 3 directions.
You need to measure this distance to the inch as a guess +/- a foot makes a lot of difference. None of the Epson UB or JVC projectors can even come close to a 140" screen from 12.5' lens to screen. If you can't move the projector back your limited to the BenQ 3550 or I believe some of the Optomas.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #25 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
You need to measure this distance to the inch as a guess +/- a foot makes a lot of difference. None of the Epson UB or JVC projectors can even come close to a 140" screen from 12.5' lens to screen. If you can't move the projector back your limited to the BenQ 3550 or I believe some of the Optomas.
Looking at the throw calculator on Projector Central, it looks like the UHD51A gives me a very generous mounting position range. According to this I have between 12' 4" to 16' 2". I'll go upstairs and measure exactly where I'm at, but I think I'll be good with that. My conduit to the A/V room is cutout in the ceiling right where I mounted the projector, so while I 'could' move it to the back of the room, that's something that I just don't think I want to do. If that means I 'settle' for lesser quality then that's just a trade off I will have to make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throw.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2677210  
post #26 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I HDFury linker are not expensive components and they've been used successfully in combination with the 5040UB and others.

I don't the conditions of purchasing an refurbished 5040UB, but why would it not have the same consumer protection as any other product? And why would someone want to return if it doesn't meet their needs.
What needs will a 5040UB not meet that a 52ALV will? It's better in every way, with the exception of perhaps a few areas: perceived sharpness. It's smaller and lighter. Less am still sklikelihood of dust blobs.

skeptical of the 15 000 hours advertised hours on some of the new models.

An HD Fury runs about ~$200. I'd think twice about spending that plus a UB420 for an HC5040, when all other non early Epson/JVC HDR projectors can do without the Fury.

You have to compare high lamp (Dynamic Black) on an Optoma to the other lamp modes on an Epson, and remember that Epson high lamp is noisy and has only 3500hrs life, and consequently will dim rapidly whereas the lamp on the Optomas in DB mode will dim considerably less over the same time. I don't think it fair to discount the advantages of dynamic lamp dimming technology.

This is from the Epson website:

"Note: Epson does not accept returns on refurbished items except if product arrives defective, in which case, we will provide a replacement with the same model or equivalent. This unit may not include the same software or paper pack as new models."
post #27 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking at the throw calculator on Projector Central, it looks like the UHD51A gives me a very generous mounting position range. According to this I have between 12' 4" to 16' 2". I'll go upstairs and measure exactly where I'm at, but I think I'll be good with that. My conduit to the A/V room is cutout in the ceiling right where I mounted the projector, so while I 'could' move it to the back of the room, that's something that I just don't think I want to do. If that means I 'settle' for lesser quality then that's just a trade off I will have to make.
You might have to upgrade your HDMI cables, depending on their length and original bandwidth.
post #28 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
You might have to upgrade your HDMI cables, depending on their length and original bandwidth.
That’s actually what I was just trying to research on the forums. My cable is about 20’ long and is one of the higher end cables from mono price (redmere I think. where each end has to go a certain way) but that was ~2 years ago. Can you point me to a good thread discussing cables/lengths etc?
post #29 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s actually what I was just trying to research on the forums. My cable is about 20’ long and is one of the higher end cables from mono price (redmere I think. where each end has to go a certain way) but that was ~2 years ago. Can you point me to a good thread discussing cables/lengths etc?
There's a forum dedicated to that here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...nnector-world/

You may not be able to answer the cable question until you hook it all up and try it.
post #30 of 37 Old 01-28-2020, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys. Thanks for all of the discussion. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Optoma UHD51A. This is the projector I've had my eye on ever since it was first announced and from all of the reviews I've seen, and the recs here, it seems to produce. And for the price difference between this and the 3550 I couldn't find enough support to justify the difference. Along with the projector I also ordered a 30ft. Fiber HDMI Cable and 5 3ft. 8K cables for connecting devices to the receiver so hopefully I won't run into any issues when I get it all connected.

30ft. Cable: Doesn't have 'many' reviews, but the ones that are there seem positive. And of course with Amazon returns are super easy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3ft. Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess the only thing I need to figure out now is if the mount that I currently have will work with this projector. Anyone know where I might be able to find documentation of the mounting hole layout? I checked the manual and data sheet and came up empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page