Optoma UHD50X: The World’s First 240Hz Cinema Gaming 4K Projector, - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 174Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 574 Old 05-27-2020, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Ezzelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
Games with at only Half-SBS look awfull...

Does this mean you were about to play a game at Half-SBS on this projector, or is this just a general statement? If you did, what display mode were you at?
Ezzelin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 574 Old 05-27-2020, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
No.

I'm saying the input lag for all modes and all refresh rates is extremely low.

The only thing enhanced gaming does is change the resolution to 1080p and refresh rate to 240.

But in all modes there's extremely low latency. 4K60 still has a very low lag with this projector, like less than 25ms
ok, i understand what you're saying and i'm not saying you're wrong, but the manual says:
"Enhanced gaming menu
Enable this feature to reduce response times (input latency) during gaming to 15.7ms*."

It specifically talks about input lag, not refresh rate. Also, even with Enhanced gaming mode turned off i can still change the refresh rate to 120Hz and 240Hz on the pc, if really no change is being made to the input lag then that the feature is pretty useless since i can use 240Hz with Enhanced gaming mode off...
Unless that's a setting so that consoles can detect and use 120Hz/240Hz or something?

Another thing that the manual also says in the "Display mode" menu:
"Game: Select this mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games."
What response level are they talking about? there's absolutely no details about it... is it referring to input lag or is it about the brightness/color response being faster in this mode, or is it something else?
Elusivo is offline  
post #303 of 574 Old 05-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzelin View Post
Does this mean you were about to play a game at Half-SBS on this projector, or is this just a general statement? If you did, what display mode were you at?
Hmm, i have a samsung tv that i bought a few years ago where i play games from pc at full 3840x1080 SBS 3D, it looks great! When on same tv i try Half SBS at only 1920x1080 it looks very pixelated obviously since it's half the width, not so interesting.

I never even questioned that this projector wouldn't be able to do the same full-sbs like my tv since the specs said full 3d compatibility or something of the sort. I already tried turning 3D in a game on the projector, (dun remember which display mode i tried) but i am still waiting for my 3D glasses to arrive so i couldn't test it properly, but even without the glasses the pixelization is visible already, so i imagine it won't be much/any better than half-sbs on the tv.
My fault really since the manual does only mention support for "1920 x 1080i @ 50/60Hz Side-by-Side (Half)" on the hdmi1.4 port and no mention for the hdmi2 port, so it looks like even the hdmi2 brings no extra benefit for 3D.

I guess only solution to have full 1920x1080 3D resolution for games will be with frame sequential, maybe using reshade will work, i thing the 3Ddepth plugin can output frame sequential... have to check.
Elusivo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #304 of 574 Old 05-27-2020, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
ok, i understand what you're saying and i'm not saying you're wrong, but the manual says:

"Enhanced gaming menu

Enable this feature to reduce response times (input latency) during gaming to 15.7ms*."



It specifically talks about input lag, not refresh rate. Also, even with Enhanced gaming mode turned off i can still change the refresh rate to 120Hz and 240Hz on the pc, if really no change is being made to the input lag then that the feature is pretty useless since i can use 240Hz with Enhanced gaming mode off...

Unless that's a setting so that consoles can detect and use 120Hz/240Hz or something?



Another thing that the manual also says in the "Display mode" menu:

"Game: Select this mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games."

What response level are they talking about? there's absolutely no details about it... is it referring to input lag or is it about the brightness/color response being faster in this mode, or is it something else?
Ya it takes it from like 25 to 15, 25 is still insanely low for a DLP 4K unit.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #305 of 574 Old 05-27-2020, 07:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
Ya it takes it from like 25 to 15, 25 is still insanely low for a DLP 4K unit.
I'm very confused... not sure if we're seeing eye to eye

This is the table under the Enhanced gaming mode entry in the manual for the input lag:
4K 60Hz____1440P 60Hz____1080P 60Hz____1080P 120Hz____1080P 240Hz
25.8ms_____25.8ms________23.8ms_______18.2ms______ ___15.7ms

Like you say, it goes from 25 to 15ms. Basically, as the refresh rate increases, the input lag lowers, all makes sense.

What it doesn't make sense to me is how come when i enable Enhanced gaming mode, it doesn't output 4K60 when i use it as a source.
With Enhanced gaming mode enabled the outputted projected screen is fixed at 1080p even with a 4k60 source and there's no mention of that downscaling in the manual, that's my main doubt.
If the point of downscaling from 4K to 1080p is so that Enhanced gaming mode can achieve those 25ms (be it cause of software or hardware limitations), then it means that playing at real 4k60 output (which needs Enhanced gaming mode disabled for it to work) the input latency will be higher than what that table says, if that's the case then it is very misleading if not outright deceiving ppl...
Elusivo is offline  
post #306 of 574 Old 05-27-2020, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Because you cannot do 240hz in 4K.

The DMD doesn't shift that fast. You can only do 240hz jn 1080p

Enhanced gaming is 240hz - you have to get over the 10ms lag difference.

All that "enhanced gaming" means is the refresh rate is 240hz, which means smooth as **** and no jitter whatsoever.

So when it's off and you're running normal 4K60 HDR then it's off and you're only running at 60hz again, but getting 4K. And still you're at 25ms.

But you cannot ask for 240hz at 4K the DMD would have to shift way faster than that since it already has to shift 4x just to get 4K.

The 25ms is what you get with no enhanced gaming. On 4K60 HDR you get 25ms out the box.

Enhanced gaming is 240hz 1080p with 15ms.

There is no misleading. Out the box it's an insanely low latency on every mode.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #307 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 12:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
Because you cannot do 240hz in 4K.

The DMD doesn't shift that fast. You can only do 240hz jn 1080p

Enhanced gaming is 240hz - you have to get over the 10ms lag difference.

All that "enhanced gaming" means is the refresh rate is 240hz, which means smooth as **** and no jitter whatsoever.

So when it's off and you're running normal 4K60 HDR then it's off and you're only running at 60hz again, but getting 4K. And still you're at 25ms.

But you cannot ask for 240hz at 4K the DMD would have to shift way faster than that since it already has to shift 4x just to get 4K.

The 25ms is what you get with no enhanced gaming. On 4K60 HDR you get 25ms out the box.

Enhanced gaming is 240hz 1080p with 15ms.

There is no misleading. Out the box it's an insanely low latency on every mode.
ooooh i might have finally understood, you're saying that input and output refresh rate are independent? Like, whenever i enable Enhanced gaming mode the output image is always at 240Hz even if the source is only at 60Hz?

So if i disable Enhanced gaming mode and go to windows settings and switch to 1080P240Hz the projector output refresh rate is downscaled to 60Hz or whatever and won't really be at 240Hz untill i enable the Enhanced gaming mode again?
Elusivo is offline  
post #308 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 01:58 AM
Member
 
Ezzelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
Hmm, i have a samsung tv that i bought a few years ago where i play games from pc at full 3840x1080 SBS 3D, it looks great! When on same tv i try Half SBS at only 1920x1080 it looks very pixelated obviously since it's half the width, not so interesting.

I never even questioned that this projector wouldn't be able to do the same full-sbs like my tv since the specs said full 3d compatibility or something of the sort. I already tried turning 3D in a game on the projector, (dun remember which display mode i tried) but i am still waiting for my 3D glasses to arrive so i couldn't test it properly, but even without the glasses the pixelization is visible already, so i imagine it won't be much/any better than half-sbs on the tv.
My fault really since the manual does only mention support for "1920 x 1080i @ 50/60Hz Side-by-Side (Half)" on the hdmi1.4 port and no mention for the hdmi2 port, so it looks like even the hdmi2 brings no extra benefit for 3D.

I guess only solution to have full 1920x1080 3D resolution for games will be with frame sequential, maybe using reshade will work, i thing the 3Ddepth plugin can output frame sequential... have to check.
Yeah, my LG OLED can do all sorts of 3D modes too, including SBS in 4K. I wish every product could. That being said, I was hoping that the projector would at least work with 1080p60 using half SBS. If you could try to verify this, that would be great. Even if you don't have glasses or a video, you can input a 1080p60 non-HDR signal and see if you can manually activate 3D in SBS mode. If the menu option is available, and the outputted image goes slightly red, this should mean that the 3D is active. Thanks!
Ezzelin is offline  
post #309 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzelin View Post
Yeah, my LG OLED can do all sorts of 3D modes too, including SBS in 4K. I wish every product could. That being said, I was hoping that the projector would at least work with 1080p60 using half SBS. If you could try to verify this, that would be great. Even if you don't have glasses or a video, you can input a 1080p60 non-HDR signal and see if you can manually activate 3D in SBS mode. If the menu option is available, and the outputted image goes slightly red, this should mean that the 3D is active. Thanks!
ye ye, half-sbs active in a 24fps movie or a 60Hz game at 1080P shows both stereoscopic images side by side and it does allow to turn on 3D (have to select it manually) and it does overlap the 2 images and makes them full screen so it should work properly, even tho that mode isn't mentioned in the manual, but i only tried on the hdmi2 port and the 3D timings for that port isn't even mentioned in the manual...
Dunno if the hdmi1.4 port will accept half-sbs 1080p at 60Hz, acording to the manual it would only accept 1080i... i'll try later just to confirm either way.

This is really a mediocre manual, very badly explained stuff and a bunch of other info missing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- BTW, 2 more questions:

1. Does the projector outputs a real 24Hz refresh rate when the source is a 24fps movie with a 24Hz input, or does it output the 24fps at 60Hz refresh rate?

2. Anybody knows what "response time level" in the manual is referring to in "Display mode" menu?:
"Game: Select this mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games."

Last edited by Elusivo; 05-28-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Elusivo is offline  
post #310 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
ooooh i might have finally understood, you're saying that input and output refresh rate are independent? Like, whenever i enable Enhanced gaming mode the output image is always at 240Hz even if the source is only at 60Hz?



So if i disable Enhanced gaming mode and go to windows settings and switch to 1080P240Hz the projector output refresh rate is downscaled to 60Hz or whatever and won't really be at 240Hz untill i enable the Enhanced gaming mode again?
Correct.

Now you've got it.

And any other projector if you set it to 240 will not display at 240, but 60 or at best 120.

This is the only projector that can output 240 period.

It's like those projectors that are "4K ready" which means they can accept a 4K signal but downscale it to 1080p native output.
Elusivo likes this.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #311 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
ye ye, half-sbs active in a 24fps movie or a 60Hz game at 1080P shows both stereoscopic images side by side and it does allow to turn on 3D (have to select it manually) and it does overlap the 2 images and makes them full screen so it should work properly, even tho that mode isn't mentioned in the manual, but i only tried on the hdmi2 port and the 3D timings for that port isn't even mentioned in the manual...
Dunno if the hdmi1.4 port will accept half-sbs 1080p at 60Hz, acording to the manual it would only accept 1080i... i'll try later just to confirm either way.

This is really a mediocre manual, very badly explained stuff and a bunch of other info missing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- BTW, 2 more questions:

1. Does the projector outputs a real 24Hz refresh rate when the source is a 24fps movie with a 24Hz input, or does it output the 24fps at 60Hz refresh rate?

2. Anybody knows what "response time level" in the manual is referring to in "Display mode" menu?:
"Game: Select this mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games."
It does not have native 24p playback, it outputs at 60Hz which results in 3:2 pulldown. Except for 1080p 120 and 240Hz, which are multiples or 24.
Elusivo likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #312 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
It does not have native 24p playback, it outputs at 60Hz which results in 3:2 pulldown. Except for 1080p 120 and 240Hz, which are multiples or 24.
That explains why movie playback felt a bit choppy... so, since 240Hz is a multiple, it should have less stutter with enhanced gaming mode enabled right? will try in a little bit...

ok, tried it with a 24fps 1080P video, ye, noticeable difference, at 240Hz the movie stutter is very obviously there since there's no frame interpolation, but it flows at a constant paced stutter motion.
When at 60Hz there's like weird bumps/jumps on top of the stutter...

Does this mean that watching 4K 24fps movies, at the fixed 60Hz output, will basically suck?
Elusivo is offline  
post #313 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
That explains why movie playback felt a bit choppy... so, since 240Hz is a multiple, it should have less stutter with enhanced gaming mode enabled right? will try in a little bit...

ok, tried it with a 24fps 1080P video, ye, noticeable difference, at 240Hz the movie stutter is very obviously there since there's no frame interpolation, but it flows at a constant paced stutter motion.
When at 60Hz there's like weird bumps/jumps on top of the stutter...

Does this mean that watching 4K 24fps movies, at the fixed 60Hz output, will basically suck?
Some people notice the pulldown more than others. If you don't like it at 1080p60 there is no reason it will look any different at 4K60.

Most 4K DLP units are fixed at 60Hz in 4K. Some can do 120Hz in 1080p. Only a few have native 24p, Benq HT3550, TK850, TK810 (EU only), HT5550. Can't remember if there are any more. Others use interpolation.

What is the source? Maybe interpolation can be added.
Elusivo likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #314 of 574 Old 05-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fantastic news xD after a couple hours battling i managed to make Full SBS 3D work! hehe very happy now xD


Need to do a couple steps with the nvidia drivers, dunno if it works like this for amd cards:

1. Create a custom resolution of 3840*1080 with the following manual timings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...mentid=2733686
2. Launch game, set it to the custom res.
3. Switch optoma's aspect ratio setting from auto/native/whatever to 16:9
4. Turn on SBS in the game
5. Turn 3D on in Optoma and then go to the Optoma's 3D settings and choose SBS.

And Full 3D SBS is on!

xD take that optoma's retarded manual!! no need for frame sequential after all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom res.gif
Views:	49
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2733686  
Ezzelin and noob00224 like this.

Last edited by Elusivo; 05-28-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Elusivo is offline  
post #315 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 12:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
I found out if you really mess with the 50x's colors, you can get a more theater quality image out of it.

I've been in CMS altering color values and intensity though.
The yellows were too mustardy and the blues were not punchy enough. Altering those values improved the picture.
I had to bump up the color output to about 15 too but then dragged it down to about 7 after intensifying the blues

Curious if anyone else who owned this came to similar conclusions... out of the box it is washed out but you can trade some of its light output to bring the colors back in

You definitely seem to either get light output or colors with a DLP machine. The colors are much punchier now but I seem to have traded a good portion of the available light to get this.
I'm getting the uhd50x (UHD42) tomorrow to test it out, are you open to sharing your current settings? I'm more into the cinematic look.

If calibration doesn't work out too well then I might have to swap it in for an Epson of the same price (TW7100).
Wazzim is offline  
post #316 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Trapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzim View Post
I'm getting the uhd50x (UHD42) tomorrow to test it out, are you open to sharing your current settings? I'm more into the cinematic look.

If calibration doesn't work out too well then I might have to swap it in for an Epson of the same price (TW7100).
Go for the 3800 if you go Epson.

Colors on the UHD50x were garbage. It actually made gaming worse. Will post a vid of how and why this is a problem gaming with poor colors. Imagine playing an RTS and the colors on the DLP machine were so poor that you could not tell which type of troop was what.

Resolution is one thing but if it's half monochrome it's actually a detriment to gaming.

Not that I happen to have bought both or anything just to find out for myself which was better...

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
Trapani is offline  
post #317 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,720
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 813
And the first article review of a UHD50X:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

Unfortunately, the results have to be taken with caution as it's obvious from the text that the tested unit unit defective.
DunMunro is offline  
post #318 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Ezzelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivo View Post
Fantastic news xD after a couple hours battling i managed to make Full SBS 3D work! hehe very happy now xD


Need to do a couple steps with the nvidia drivers, dunno if it works like this for amd cards:

1. Create a custom resolution of 3840*1080 with the following manual timings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...mentid=2733686
2. Launch game, set it to the custom res.
3. Switch optoma's aspect ratio setting from auto/native/whatever to 16:9
4. Turn on SBS in the game
5. Turn 3D on in Optoma and then go to the Optoma's 3D settings and choose SBS.

And Full 3D SBS is on!

xD take that optoma's retarded manual!! no need for frame sequential after all.

That's great that you got half SBS and full SBS working! Did you notice any extra input lag in these modes?
Ezzelin is offline  
post #319 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: New York City metro area
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
And the first article review of a UHD50X:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

Unfortunately, the results have to be taken with caution as it's obvious from the text that the tested unit unit defective.
@DunMunro , thanks for posting up a link to our review. I wouldn't use the word "defective" to describe our sample. The projector worked and performed essentially as expected, which is to say quite well for a gaming projector at this price. We did see some odd split-screen issues crop up that were not consistent or frequent (and which Optoma acknowledged some other complaints about and said they are looking into). Other than that, the biggest concern was that our brightness measurement was below what Optoma expected. We measured 2,699 ANSI lumens (average brightness across 9 points on the screen) in the Bright mode with default settings and with the widest (brightest) zoom setting on the lens. Optoma measured the same unit at the factory at 2,950 lumens, which they describe as typical and within manufacturing tolerance. We did get individual readings at some measurement points that were close to that figure, but the average reading was lower. Although our reviewer is experienced at taking brightness measurements, and rechecked them during our factcheck process, there's always the chance that his meter wasn't working right. So I'll be remeasuring the brightness next week in my own lab with my own meter and possibly some of my back-up meters if needed. If it still comes up short, we'll consider getting another sample from Optoma. But readers should know that this was a suitably bright projector sample for both dark room and ambient light viewing, and that the difference between our reading and Optoma's -- about 250 lumens -- isn't really enough to make a much noticeable difference.

Hope that clarifies things... No reason at all to doubt the results of the review, or I'd have tossed it and started over with a fresh sample.
DunMunro likes this.

Editor-in-Chief, ProjectorCentral.com
ProCentral Rob is offline  
post #320 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 02:21 PM
Member
 
russellhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
Go for the 3800 if you go Epson.

Colors on the UHD50x were garbage. It actually made gaming worse. Will post a vid of how and why this is a problem gaming with poor colors. Imagine playing an RTS and the colors on the DLP machine were so poor that you could not tell which type of troop was what.

Resolution is one thing but if it's half monochrome it's actually a detriment to gaming.

Not that I happen to have bought both or anything just to find out for myself which was better...
Isn't the UHD50x advertised as a gaming projector? Would it be fair to say that you prefer colour accuracy over pixel response and input lag?
Were you just using it for gaming or for movies too?

Asking as I find it interesting to understand the negatives. I currently have a TK800 which I use for gaming and movies. For what it is, I'm fairly satisified with the performance. Certainly I've never had any issues with colour, so to me it sounds like either there was an issue or you're exaggerating?
russellhk is online now  
post #321 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 02:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
Go for the 3800 if you go Epson.

Colors on the UHD50x were garbage. It actually made gaming worse. Will post a vid of how and why this is a problem gaming with poor colors. Imagine playing an RTS and the colors on the DLP machine were so poor that you could not tell which type of troop was what.

Resolution is one thing but if it's half monochrome it's actually a detriment to gaming.

Not that I happen to have bought both or anything just to find out for myself which was better...
I'll see how it looks for me, I mostly game in the dark or with low ambient light. Otherwise the 3200/3800 or even 4010 are options. I really like the motorized lens in the 4010 but it also means spending another €300 on top of my current budget.
Wazzim is offline  
post #322 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Member
 
Trapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellhk View Post
Isn't the UHD50x advertised as a gaming projector? Would it be fair to say that you prefer colour accuracy over pixel response and input lag?
Were you just using it for gaming or for movies too?

Asking as I find it interesting to understand the negatives. I currently have a TK800 which I use for gaming and movies. For what it is, I'm fairly satisified with the performance. Certainly I've never had any issues with colour, so to me it sounds like either there was an issue or you're exaggerating?
The problem is the Epson simply gave me all three

Color Accuracy
Pixel Response
Input lag

All superior

The UHD50x is a single chip DLP projector whereas the Epson is a 3LCD so DLP people are going to give you lip about motion blur and other anti 3 chip stuff

Then they won't tell you that there's 3 chip DLP

Which is where I draw my line. Why don't we compete a 1LCD and a 1DLP and that's probably a more fair game. Make the LCD have a color wheel to get its color

You are also not being told that this unit (UHD50x) has RGBWRGBW type wheel which makes color accuracy even worse since it includes two white segments to boost total lumen output.

Ok so color accuracy is gone... What about pixel response?

I found that maybe more even but still feel like epson had the advantage.
I would notice "twinkling" with the UHD50x almost like the mirrors would vibrate a little bit. Not a wall induced artifact either, it seemed to be related to contrast levels.
I also noticed heat warping on the upper left of my image which was sometimes disruptive. I complained about the light leakage and Opto boys said it was normal for DLP but... then again the heat leakage disrupted the image. You'd need to literally 3d print a light snorkel for this thing
Also, let's not talk about the last couple of days and people also commenting on gaming mode's disruption of PQ

Turns out gaming mode turns the image to 1080P so all the advertised low lag stuff is 1080p. Even a 4k signal if you engaged the game mode it downgraded the image quality. Took pics man, was upset. The lag was worse if you turned it off. Felt like 50ms. I don't have lag equipment but if you didn't have the game mode on, it's probably similar to your current setup.

I saw others start talking about this and IMO I put an image in 4k and even bought a new gaming rig with an NVIDIA 2070 super in it just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I tested everything and was just not impressed.
It hurt my hopes for DLP technology and I've been a big fan since TI introduced pixel shifting.

I'd say hold on to that TK800 because I read/see it's a good machine from a lot of people.

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
Trapani is offline  
post #323 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,720
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post

The UHD50x is a single chip DLP projector whereas the Epson is a 3LCD so DLP people are going to give you lip about motion blur and other anti 3 chip stuff

Then they won't tell you that there's 3 chip DLP

Which is where I draw my line. Why don't we compete a 1LCD and a 1DLP and that's probably a more fair game. Make the LCD have a color wheel to get its color
3 Chip DLP is a vastly different setup from 3LCD and requires a far larger case, because the 3 x DMDs cannot be stacked as per 3LCD. Consequently they are mostly used in commericial cinema. I doubt LCD has a fast enough response time to use a colour wheel. Advances in multi-laser and LED lamps make it possible to create 1 chip DLP projectors that don't have a colour wheel, and I expect that these designs will become increasingly prevalent.
DunMunro is offline  
post #324 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 05:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzelin View Post
That's great that you got half SBS and full SBS working! Did you notice any extra input lag in these modes?
There was no issue with H-sbs, tried on 1st day i got the projector, simply works out the box, F-sbs was the problem.
My 3D glasses will only arrive next week, so take it with a grain of salt as i can't be sure that it will work properly.

But visually, from what i am used to seeing on tv, it looks the same without the glasses, both images are directed to the same 1920*1080 space, so i'm assuming it is correct...

I'm also curious about input lag, and that useless manual ofc makes no mention about 3D having any extra latency or not ... i hope it doesn't go over the max advertised 25ms, shouldn't be too taxing to break up an image in 2 right...?
Elusivo is offline  
post #325 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
All that "enhanced gaming" means is the refresh rate is 240hz, which means smooth as **** and no jitter whatsoever.

So when it's off and you're running normal 4K60 HDR then it's off and you're only running at 60hz again, but getting 4K. And still you're at 25ms.

But you cannot ask for 240hz at 4K the DMD would have to shift way faster than that since it already has to shift 4x just to get 4K.

The 25ms is what you get with no enhanced gaming. On 4K60 HDR you get 25ms out the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
Turns out gaming mode turns the image to 1080P so all the advertised low lag stuff is 1080p. Even a 4k signal if you engaged the game mode it downgraded the image quality. Took pics man, was upset. The lag was worse if you turned it off. Felt like 50ms. I don't have lag equipment but if you didn't have the game mode on, it's probably similar to your current setup.
So longhornsk57 was saying a few posts back that the input lag at 4K output was 25ms, Trapani is saying it feels like 50ms, who's correct?

Maybe i'm not as sensitive to input lag as i thought, but even in a high speed reflexes game i din't really notice a difference between input lag with Enhanced gaming enabled or disabled, gotta try more games...

Colors really are a pain to set up, they're never quite there at a good spot, and have to change settings for every different type of source or resolution which is a pain with such an old type of remote control and osd operation. I have all white walls/ceiling and still no screen, so i hope it'll get better after i get a screen and darken the walls.
Elusivo is offline  
post #326 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I don't agree with the Epson guy.

After more calibrating I get good colors and a very good gaming experience.

It's noticeable sharper 4K image and the 240hz gaming mode is no gimmick, smooth as butter and my KDR in warzone has actually gotten better.

The Epson will give you better blacks but you notice the sharpness degrade immediately.
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #327 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Trapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I don't agree with the Epson guy.

After more calibrating I get good colors and a very good gaming experience.

It's noticeable sharper 4K image and the 240hz gaming mode is no gimmick, smooth as butter and my KDR in warzone has actually gotten better.

The Epson will give you better blacks but you notice the sharpness degrade immediately.

You forgot to mention color. Not having accurate colors and more importantly even color lumens in gaming is a problem

best example I can provide is back in 2012 when LG came out with the V10 and it had the sharpest screen around, then samsung came out with the Note II, screen was a hair less sharp

But putting the two together made the LG look like it was monochrome

So below I can show you the two images shifted laid almost directly over eachother

What you can see immediately is that your white output (pause time marker) would be almost equal to an epson but the bright green or other colors get washed out

The intensity of color is just way not even throughout the spectra and you have to trade the light output to better intensify those colors

It's a tug of war on a machine projector central themselves just told you guys that you were almost for sure short on... and I feel the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_235115 (1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	2734368  

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
Trapani is offline  
post #328 of 574 Old 05-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I personally prefer vibrant, punchy, and sharp vs "accurate"

I get what you're saying but video games especially look awesome.

I watched a couple of 4K movies and they were good. Calibrated this thing definitely performs. The colors won't be as good as the Epson but I prefer a noticeably sharper image and punchy graphics and 3D with no crosstalk.

However that's just me, plenty of people would prefer the Epson and I'd take a 5050 over this but not a 3800
longhornsk57 is offline  
post #329 of 574 Old 05-30-2020, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzim View Post
I'm getting the uhd50x (UHD42) tomorrow to test it out, are you open to sharing your current settings? I'm more into the cinematic look.

If calibration doesn't work out too well then I might have to swap it in for an Epson of the same price (TW7100).
Then why are you buying a UHD42? This is a gaming unit for living rooms with/without ambient light. The Epson can do both.

@Trapani the HC3800 is sold as the TW7100 outside NA.

@longhornsk57 who said the Epson is not vibrant and punchy? Since it has higher brightness and color lumens it is, more than any DLP. Sharpness perception is affected by many factors. 3D is a hit or miss. There have been reports of 3D working fine, and even in case that it was not 95% of the issues were resolved, resulting a much better 3D experience than DLP because of the brightness. So if someone actually wanted 3D, Epsons are a great choice. Also 3D, it's 2020, not that relevant.

The Epson also has lens shift and some interpolation. Another feature is a longer throw, which combined with it's brightness uniformity makes it great for use with ALR screens, vis a vis brightly lit rooms. This example is at 1.35x throw ratio which is well under recommended throw:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59510494

A projector with better blacks will show in low light scenes. 4K DLP native contrast is 500-800:1 mostly, and the HC3800 is 1200-2000:1 depending on the review. Dynamic contrast is 2000-3500:1 with some exceptions, but probably ~3000:1 at the most. Dynamic contrast on the Epson is 35 000:1 with iris on most aggressive setting.

Most content is dark: http://projectiondream.com/en/movie-...-measurements/

Of course it matters what type of content each individual consumes. A projector like the UHD50x specific attribute is low lag, not much else. Maybe some extra sharpness and motion handling, but the overall package of the Epson is much better.

Motion handling is still good on the Epson



Last edited by noob00224; 05-30-2020 at 01:14 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #330 of 574 Old 05-30-2020, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
So when it's off and you're running normal 4K60 HDR then it's off and you're only running at 60hz again, but getting 4K. And still you're at 25ms.
According to projectorcentral.com review, you're obviously wrong in that statement, if they measured 1080p 60Hz input lag at 44ms, then fer sure it will only get worse at 4K 60Hz output.
That's what was making me confused before and rightfully so it seems.

Clearly optoma is deceiving ppl since enhanced gaming mode does not output 4K but downscales it to 1080p, which is never mentioned anywhere, quite the opposite, they clearly advertise 4K 60Hz with 25ms latency... to even have that feature advertised, since anybody would get better performance from lowering the resolution to 1080p at the source, shows their true intention imho...
Elusivo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off