Optoma UHD50X: The World’s First 240Hz Cinema Gaming 4K Projector, - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 146 Old 03-05-2020, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
dreamstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
From ProjectorCentral's ISE 2020 visit.

"As expected, the Optoma booth was filled with projection solutions, as well as a wide array of LED flat panels and a second, larger offering in the company's developing line of large LED wall panel displays (a 163-inch two-piece model was added to the 130-inch all-in-one display introduced last year). Among several new or recently shipping models was the UHD42 home entertainment projector (which will be known as the UHD50 in the U.S. when it ships in the March/April timeframe). This compact bulb-based model features 4K UHD resolution and up to 3,200 ANSI lumens, but it's claim to fame is that it's said to be the first gaming projector that supports a 240 Hz refresh rate (with 1080p content, and assuming the source has the graphics capability to deliver such a signal). Input lag is said to be around 16 ms. It's also HDR and HLG compatible, and features a 1.3x zoom lens with vertical lens shift and an onboard 10W speaker. U.S. pricing hasn't been announced, but it's expected to be available overseas for 1,249 Euro, or about $1,400 U.S. An alternate model, designated the UHD30 for both markets, will offer a different zoom and only a single HDMI port vs. the two found on the UHD42/50, and will be offered for 999 Euro, or about $1,100 U.S."
The more I try to differentiate and remamber all the different model numbers for projectors the more annoying it becomes. Why can't they just use the same model number for the exact same projectors?
dreamstate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 146 Old 03-05-2020, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Its loud no matter what mode i put it in. Anyone got any good ideas for a enclosure or hush box
davorn34 is offline  
post #33 of 146 Old 03-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any news on Benq's similar type of products this year?
Granny Lee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 146 Old 03-05-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorn34 View Post
Its loud no matter what mode i put it in. Anyone got any good ideas for a enclosure or hush box
I don't suppose that the fan is in high altitude mode? Does the noise decrease when put into Eco with DB off?
DunMunro is offline  
post #35 of 146 Old 03-05-2020, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
It does decrease a little bit when in eco and db off. Its all good im getting a guy to come build a hush box which should help. Any recommendations on glass type for the box that. The lense will shoot threw
davorn34 is offline  
post #36 of 146 Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Member
 
hutt132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Why is this product releasing with only HDMI 2.0 in 2020 and not 2.1?
You cannot get full 4K/60 with chroma 4:4:4 and HDR with HDMI 2.0.
hutt132 is offline  
post #37 of 146 Old 03-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
Sirbrdfrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The Optoma US Press Release for the UHD50X is out now (the press release also discusses the UHD30 and HD146X).

US pricing:
The Optoma UHD50X is available for purchase now through Optoma authorized dealers for an estimated street price of $1,599.
The Optoma UHD30 is available for purchase now through Optoma authorized dealers for an estimated street price of $1,299.
The Optoma HD146X is available for purchase now through Optoma authorized dealers for an estimated street price of $549.
DunMunro likes this.
Sirbrdfrd is offline  
post #38 of 146 Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutt132 View Post
Why is this product releasing with only HDMI 2.0 in 2020 and not 2.1?
You cannot get full 4K/60 with chroma 4:4:4 and HDR with HDMI 2.0.

projectors are like 5 years behind TVs. I'd be surprised if there are any projectors releasing in 2021 with HDMI 2.1
Sirbrdfrd likes this.
senjeys is offline  
post #39 of 146 Old 03-10-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,651
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorn34 View Post
It does decrease a little bit when in eco and db off. Its all good im getting a guy to come build a hush box which should help. Any recommendations on glass type for the box that. The lense will shoot threw
I built a hush box for my projector and it makes a big difference! I used glass from Edmund Optics.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-hush-box.html
DigitalAV and DunMunro like this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #40 of 146 Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Im abit annoyed it doesnt have hdmi 2.1 as im going to be getting the ps5 which apparently can do 4k at 120hz but needs hdmi 2.1
juic-E-juice likes this.
davorn34 is offline  
post #41 of 146 Old 03-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Member
 
duramadre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
but dont have pure motion?
duramadre is online now  
post #42 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest the next gen consoles will not be capable of rendering anything playable at 4k @ 120Hz. You will likely see 1080p @ 120Hz or 4K @ 60 selectable for some games. I do agree I'd like to keep everything in the HDMI chain at 2.1, and I can't justify upgrading to anything less in 2020.
Radio81 is offline  
post #43 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I game on a PC that has the hardware to handle 4k120 better than any of the consoles are going to, so hdmi 2.1 is a must in order to get me to upgrade.
LaserMan207 is online now  
post #44 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How does the Epson 5050UB compare to this projector? I almost pulled the trigger on the 5050UB but I just discovered this projector existed. I wanted to play my Xbox One X at 60Hz and the 5050UB satisfied that need and had low input lag. I will be displaying on a 135 inch screen and have power/hdmi hookups in the ceiling at about 12 or 13 feet away in the ceiling.
frozn00 is offline  
post #45 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post
How does the Epson 5050UB compare to this projector? I almost pulled the trigger on the 5050UB but I just discovered this projector existed. I wanted to play my Xbox One X at 60Hz and the 5050UB satisfied that need and had low input lag. I will be displaying on a 135 inch screen and have power/hdmi hookups in the ceiling at about 12 or 13 feet away in the ceiling.
The 5050UB is a much superior projector picture quality wise.

The UHD50X is a DLP which means better motion handling, but typical DLP contrast and black level, which is not good.
The DLP might be sharper depending on the seating distance, source, and other factors.

The 5050UB is also brighter, has higher DCI P3 coverage, with or without the filter, active iris, motorized lenses, quieter, has motion interpolation, proper lens shift, more throw ratio, etc.
frozn00 likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #46 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The 5050UB is a much superior projector picture quality wise.

The UHD50X is a DLP which means better motion handling, but typical DLP contrast and black level, which is not good.
The DLP might be sharper depending on the seating distance, source, and other factors.

The 5050UB is also brighter, has higher DCI P3 coverage, with or without the filter, active iris, motorized lenses, quieter, has motion interpolation, proper lens shift, more throw ratio, etc.
I guess I am trying to figure out if the UHD50X will satisfy my requirement. As someone that doesn't know much at all about projectors, aside from the fact that I want to use this 135 inch screen that I have. This will be ceiling mounted and once adjusted it will most likely stay that way. In that case, does active iris and motorized lenses matter to me? It will be stationary. Is motion interpolation important? Will I really notice the difference if I am not a videofile? Side by side, will I really notice the difference? Maybe this a matter of preference. It is hard for me to make a decision on this and will the benefits you mentioned be worth it in my scenario? Thank you for your quick response!
frozn00 is offline  
post #47 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post
I guess I am trying to figure out if the UHD50X will satisfy my requirement. As someone that doesn't know much at all about projectors, aside from the fact that I want to use this 135 inch screen that I have. This will be ceiling mounted and once adjusted it will most likely stay that way. In that case, does active iris and motorized lenses matter to me? It will be stationary. Is motion interpolation important? Will I really notice the difference if I am not a videofile? Side by side, will I really notice the difference? Maybe this a matter of preference. It is hard for me to make a decision on this and will the benefits you mentioned be worth it in my scenario? Thank you for your quick response!
The UHD50X is a gaming projector firstly, the 5050UB is a home cinema projector.

Epson's features, like the iris and others offer a great image compared to the Optoma.

What is the color of the walls?

What is the percentage of games and movies/TV?
frozn00 likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #48 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
KenWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Medina,TN
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post
I guess I am trying to figure out if the UHD50X will satisfy my requirement. As someone that doesn't know much at all about projectors, aside from the fact that I want to use this 135 inch screen that I have. This will be ceiling mounted and once adjusted it will most likely stay that way. In that case, does active iris and motorized lenses matter to me? It will be stationary. Is motion interpolation important? Will I really notice the difference if I am not a videofile? Side by side, will I really notice the difference? Maybe this a matter of preference. It is hard for me to make a decision on this and will the benefits you mentioned be worth it in my scenario? Thank you for your quick response!
The active iris helps with contrast by adjusting how much light gets sent through the lens based on the content being displayed...darker scenes...the iris will close down improving contrast. Generally, lens shift, motorized lenses etc. are aids mostly used during the initial installation and usually won't be touched once everything is setup. Constant height/width/area setups being a possible exception.

Motion Interpolation(MI) helps with smoothing out motion(during panning scenes or sports). If set too aggressive, it can make the image look very unnatural. In my experience with dlp's, dlp's by nature usually do a good job with motion without having to use much, if any, MI so I don't think it's a "must have" feature in a dlp projector. LCD and LCOS pj's can benefit from MI when used sparingly.

Last edited by KenWH; 03-11-2020 at 11:49 AM.
KenWH is offline  
post #49 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 11:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The UHD50X is a gaming projector firstly, the 5050UB is a home cinema projector.

Epson's features, like the iris and others offer a great image compared to the Optoma.

What is the color of the walls?

What is the percentage of games and movies/TV?
Walls are white painted sheetrock. Ceiling is about 10.5 feet from concrete floor. I would say it would say gaming and movies/tv would be about 50% each. I would prefer to have more light in the room than less light..if I would have events where people were over watching it for sports, events, stuff like that because people will be up and about getting drinks, going into the kitchen..etc. I have a 40x28 shop that I have turned into this "mancave" I wouldn't want it completely dark in the room unless I was watching a movie or playing some video games by myself. I would most likely be watching most things by myself but want the ability to have people over with more light in the room. Thank you!
frozn00 is offline  
post #50 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post
Walls are white painted sheetrock. Ceiling is about 10.5 feet from concrete floor. I would say it would say gaming and movies/tv would be about 50% each. I would prefer to have more light in the room than less light..if I would have events where people were over watching it for sports, events, stuff like that because people will be up and about getting drinks, going into the kitchen..etc. I have a 40x28 shop that I have turned into this "mancave" I wouldn't want it completely dark in the room unless I was watching a movie or playing some video games by myself. I would most likely be watching most things by myself but want the ability to have people over with more light in the room. Thank you!

Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I suggest you get a TV and move the seating closer.

Read this post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59336596
noob00224 is online now  
post #51 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=noob00224;59358440]Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I suggest you get a TV and move the seating closer.

I really thought a little bit of light would be ok for a projector but I guess I was wrong. Luckily in my situation I can have both. I have two walls, both have been wired for a TV before I ever decided to do projection. The wall that has the projector screen mounted, those jacks will be covered up. My original idea was to have 1 projector for high end 4k and one projector for gaming...but that gaming was only going to be at 1080p...since low lag projectors and 4k didn't really mix until the 5050UB...and what appears to be this new UHD50X. They may be more out there, but I am unaware what the others are. So if the projection was bad...when I had people over and needed the lights on I could use the TV and when I was there by myself and watching a movie or gaming...I could use the projector. I am ok with that. They all go to a wiring closet about 25 - 30 feet away so my sources will be chosen from this room. I don't mind spending the money on the 5050UB if the difference for me will be that much noticeable. I want the biggest LCD I can get in the room if I were to go with a tv and see that LG makes a 86 inch now.
frozn00 is offline  
post #52 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post
Walls are white painted sheetrock. Ceiling is about 10.5 feet from concrete floor. I would say it would say gaming and movies/tv would be about 50% each. I would prefer to have more light in the room than less light..if I would have events where people were over watching it for sports, events, stuff like that because people will be up and about getting drinks, going into the kitchen..etc. I have a 40x28 shop that I have turned into this "mancave" I wouldn't want it completely dark in the room unless I was watching a movie or playing some video games by myself. I would most likely be watching most things by myself but want the ability to have people over with more light in the room. Thank you!
In a room that large the effect of the white walls and ceilings will be less than in a smaller room. A simple way to darken the room would be to put curtain rods along the walls, and use inexpensive black curtains to cover the walls for movies, and then open them and tie them off for sports and games. If you have lighting in the room try to make it directional so that no direct light falls on the screen.
DunMunro is offline  
post #53 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
KenWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Medina,TN
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
[quote=frozn00;59358562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I suggest you get a TV and move the seating closer.

I really thought a little bit of light would be ok for a projector but I guess I was wrong. Luckily in my situation I can have both. I have two walls, both have been wired for a TV before I ever decided to do projection. The wall that has the projector screen mounted, those jacks will be covered up. My original idea was to have 1 projector for high end 4k and one projector for gaming...but that gaming was only going to be at 1080p...since low lag projectors and 4k didn't really mix until the 5050UB...and what appears to be this new UHD50X. They may be more out there, but I am unaware what the others are. So if the projection was bad...when I had people over and needed the lights on I could use the TV and when I was there by myself and watching a movie or gaming...I could use the projector. I am ok with that. They all go to a wiring closet about 25 - 30 feet away so my sources will be chosen from this room. I don't mind spending the money on the 5050UB if the difference for me will be that much noticeable. I want the biggest LCD I can get in the room if I were to go with a tv and see that LG makes a 86 inch now.
Here is a video on youtube that can give you a general idea of what various amounts of ambient light can do to a projected image. There are of course variables but it will give an idea of what happens to the image when projectors are used in a room with ambient light.

Edit: Comparisons start around 4:25 mark.

KenWH is offline  
post #54 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
[quote=frozn00;59358562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I suggest you get a TV and move the seating closer.

I really thought a little bit of light would be ok for a projector but I guess I was wrong. Luckily in my situation I can have both. I have two walls, both have been wired for a TV before I ever decided to do projection. The wall that has the projector screen mounted, those jacks will be covered up. My original idea was to have 1 projector for high end 4k and one projector for gaming...but that gaming was only going to be at 1080p...since low lag projectors and 4k didn't really mix until the 5050UB...and what appears to be this new UHD50X. They may be more out there, but I am unaware what the others are. So if the projection was bad...when I had people over and needed the lights on I could use the TV and when I was there by myself and watching a movie or gaming...I could use the projector. I am ok with that. They all go to a wiring closet about 25 - 30 feet away so my sources will be chosen from this room. I don't mind spending the money on the 5050UB if the difference for me will be that much noticeable. I want the biggest LCD I can get in the room if I were to go with a tv and see that LG makes a 86 inch now.
Do you already have the 135" screen? What fabric/model?

Have you decided the seating distance?
noob00224 is online now  
post #55 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
In a room that large the effect of the white walls and ceilings will be less than in a smaller room. A simple way to darken the room would be to put curtain rods along the walls, and use inexpensive black curtains to cover the walls for movies, and then open them and tie them off for sports and games. If you have lighting in the room try to make it directional so that no direct light falls on the screen.
The walls are white, flat paint. I didn't want the shine so I didn't go with any gloss and the ceiling is this color https ://imgur . com/a / wjBeP2T (wood). Only one window and that is on the other side of the shop from where the projector will be located...so windows will not be an issue. I have a combination of recessed lights that can be dimmed and some 8 foot lcd strip lights (non dimmable) throughout the room. The recessed lights just weren't making it bright enough in the room when I wanted it bright so I added the LCD strips later. Both on different switches so I can get as much light as I want. There will not be any recessed lights in the the way of the projection screen. They would fall on the sides of the projection but not in the way of the image being sent.
frozn00 is offline  
post #56 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=noob00224;59358652]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post

Do you already have the 135" screen? What fabric/model?

Have you decided the seating distance?
Elite Screens Sable Frame B2, 135-INCH Diag. 16:9, Active 3D 4K / 8K Ultra HD Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Projector Screen with Kit, SB135WH2 is what I have. I bought 2 of these back in
2016...only paid $139.99 for them....I don't know why amazon sold them that cheap but thats what I got them for. I hope they will be ok as I have never taken them out of the box. As far as seating distance I was just going to move the sofa/chairs to make it comfortable as I have an open room to work with.
frozn00 is offline  
post #57 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post
The walls are white, flat paint. I didn't want the shine so I didn't go with any gloss and the ceiling is this color https ://imgur . com/a / wjBeP2T (wood). Only one window and that is on the other side of the shop from where the projector will be located...so windows will not be an issue. I have a combination of recessed lights that can be dimmed and some 8 foot lcd strip lights (non dimmable) throughout the room. The recessed lights just weren't making it bright enough in the room when I wanted it bright so I added the LCD strips later. Both on different switches so I can get as much light as I want. There will not be any recessed lights in the the way of the projection screen. They would fall on the sides of the projection but not in the way of the image being sent.

Here's my UHD50 being projected onto a 145in grey painted screen, with some daylight hitting the screen directly:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58340808

(in the posts prior and following this one there are more example of this projector's images with other content.)

I use a BenQ W1070 projecting onto a ~150in white painted wall, in a 12.6ft w x 22ft L by 9ft H (all white walls and ceiling) family room, in our vacation home. Yes there's a loss of contrast, but with the lights out (or with a single dim light at the back of the room), it is still vastly preferable to a TV, and all our guests have been impressed. A big screen makes for an enjoyable image, even with some loss of contrast.

I do intend to add black curtains to the walls of this room and darken the ceiling but even as is it is still quite enjoyable.
DunMunro is offline  
post #58 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
[quote=frozn00;59358702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

Elite Screens Sable Frame B2, 135-INCH Diag. 16:9, Active 3D 4K / 8K Ultra HD Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Projector Screen with Kit, SB135WH2 is what I have. I bought 2 of these back in
2016...only paid for them....I don't know why amazon sold them that cheap but thats what I got them for. I hope they will be ok as I have never taken them out of the box. As far as seating distance I was just going to move the sofa/chairs to make it comfortable as I have an open room to work with.
No price discussion on this sub forum except for MSRP.

Although this is a bigger room, there will still be reflections, especially from the ceiling.
Example:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/


Firstly any ambient light must not hit the screen directly.


Can the room be treated? The area around the screen, around 5' or so would be most beneficial.


If not an ALR screen would be beneficial here. Or you could use a paint mix on the elite screen, or the wall.


I would still go with the 5050UB even with a white screen and untreated room.
noob00224 is online now  
post #59 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Here's my UHD50 being projected onto a 145in grey painted screen, with some daylight hitting the screen directly:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58340808

(in the posts prior and following this one there are more example of this projector's images with other content.)

I use a BenQ W1070 projecting onto a ~150in white painted wall, in a 12.6ft w x 22ft L by 9ft H (all white walls and ceiling) family room, in our vacation home. Yes there's a loss of contrast, but with the lights out (or with a single dim light at the back of the room), it is still vastly preferable to a TV, and all our guests have been impressed. A big screen makes for an enjoyable image, even with some loss of contrast.

I do intend to add black curtains to the walls of this room and darken the ceiling but even as is it is still quite enjoyable.
HAL 9000 Approves!

Thank you for sharing these images. If it looks some washed out with light...I am ok with that and is to be expected somewhat from what I am reading. This shop has taken years of my life to get straight as I am doing all of these updates myself on the weekends and when I get the time. Still trying to decide if my setup will be better suited for the 5050UB or the UHD50x. I don't see anyone selling the UHD50x outright right now. BHPHOTO has it but shows coming soon.
frozn00 is offline  
post #60 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=noob00224;59358832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozn00 View Post

No price discussion on this sub forum except for MSRP.

Although this is a bigger room, there will still be reflections, especially from the ceiling.
Example:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/


Firstly any ambient light must not hit the screen directly.


Can the room be treated? The area around the screen, around 5' or so would be most beneficial.


If not an ALR screen would be beneficial here. Or you could use a paint mix on the elite screen, or the wall.


I would still go with the 5050UB even with a white screen and untreated room.
When you say treated do you mean can I paint the walls around the screen? Sure can I would just need to figure out what to buy if needed. I will say if you you look at the wall in this area where the screen will be, and with the lcd strip lights off...and just the recessed can lights...it is darker here than in the areas around it so that's probably a good thing...probably due to the placement of the recessed cans.
frozn00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off