Optoma UHD50X: The World’s First 240Hz Cinema Gaming 4K Projector, - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #61 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
[quote=frozn00;59358892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

When you say treated do you mean can I paint the walls around the screen? Sure can I would just need to figure out what to buy if needed. I will say if you you look at the wall in this area where the screen will be, and with the lcd strip lights off...and just the recessed can lights...it is darker here than in the areas around it so that's probably a good thing...probably due to the placement of the recessed cans.
If the projected image is bright it will light up the surrounding areas.

This post and the following ones:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58982020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 623
While this projector is built for gaming at hi hz, it only does 120hz for 3D glasses, not 144hz like their other projectors equal to this brightness like the Optoma UHD52ALV. Just sayin'.
GregK likes this.
post #63 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorn34 View Post
https://www.optoma.com/au/product/uhd50x/

First time i got something first before americans

The fan noise is listed as 26db on Optoma's datasheet. If accurate, that's fairly quiet as projectors go.

[quote=frozn00;59358562]
Quote:
Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I suggest you get a TV and move the seating closer.

I really thought a little bit of light would be ok for a projector but I guess I was wrong. Luckily in my situation I can have both. I have two walls, both have been wired for a TV before I ever decided to do projection. The wall that has the projector screen mounted, those jacks will be covered up. My original idea was to have 1 projector for high end 4k and one projector for gaming...but that gaming was only going to be at 1080p...since low lag projectors and 4k didn't really mix until the 5050UB...and what appears to be this new UHD50X. They may be more out there, but I am unaware what the others are. So if the projection was bad...when I had people over and needed the lights on I could use the TV and when I was there by myself and watching a movie or gaming...I could use the projector. I am ok with that. They all go to a wiring closet about 25 - 30 feet away so my sources will be chosen from this room. I don't mind spending the money on the 5050UB if the difference for me will be that much noticeable. I want the biggest LCD I can get in the room if I were to go with a tv and see that LG makes a 86 inch now.

Some of us actually do use projectors in ambient light and accept the trade-offs opting for higher brightness (lumens) and accepting less contrast than dark room viewing. TVs can suffer from reflections with ambient light too. All display technologies have pros and cons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Its rated at 26dbs but to me its still loud. The only time its quiet is when its in enhanced gaming mode. I dont if its just me but the picture looks very dim , even in bright mode. But then again this is my first projector. 1 thing i do like over a tv is the motion this has its amazing.
post #65 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Its rated at 26dbs but to me its still loud. The only time its quiet is when its in enhanced gaming mode. I dont if its just me but the picture looks very dim , even in bright mode. But then again this is my first projector. 1 thing i do like over a tv is the motion this has its amazing.

Hmmm. You've got me nervous now -- coming from the Epson HC2100, I'm happy with the fan noise and am used to very good brightness. Epson claims it has 2500 lumens, which is lower than Optoma's claimed 3400 lumens but the manufacturer claims are inconsistent. Epson HC2100 was reviewed as having 27db noise in eco mode, which is 1db louder than the Optoma on paper. Your anecdote has me questioning if it's actually louder. Then again, projectors do produce fan noise that's absent with TVs and even with the Epson I sometimes feel a sense of relief after it turns off. As for the brightness, can you describe your viewing conditions and what you were using before in terms of a TV?
post #66 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 07:26 PM

I was using a 82 inch nu8000 before and no matter what setting i use on the uhd50x it just seems dim to me. Ive got a light controlled room that can be pitch black or light. It might be my screen as i got a xy ALR screen that has a 0.8 gain
Was scared to go higher gain as i thought i would get hotspoting
post #67 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 07:28 PM

The noise issue should be able to be fixed if you build a hush box. Im getting one built soon and ill let you no how it is
post #68 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This model has a throw ratio of up to 1.59x.

It will hotspot with ALR screens unless they are expensive, or a custom paint mix is used.

With the XY BC 0.8 it will hotspot even at 1.59x, although it will probably mostly noticeable in white/bright images, along with some sparkle in the center of the screen.

Regarding projector lumens, the way to find out what the actual value is, is to look for reviews that have measured it.

3LCD projectors's color lumens are the same as white lumens (measured), but DLPs the color lumens can be lower.

For example, in this comparison between the HC2150 and the Optoma HD39Darbee (rated at 3500 lumens), the results for the white lumens are as follows:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...bee-review.htm

Cinema is usually the preset where color lumens are the same as white lumens,

This website claims the HD39Darbees's color lumens is 1100: https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/

The UHD50X hasn't been measured, but I suspect color lumens is ~1000-1700 lumens. There have been some reviews that put some projectors with non RGBRGB color wheels at ~2700lm, but I very much doubt that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-12 Shootout Epson HC 2150 vs Optoma HD39Darbee.png
Views:	960
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	2696702  
post #69 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
This model has a throw ratio of up to 1.59x.

It will hotspot with ALR screens unless they are expensive, or a custom paint mix is used.

With the XY BC 0.8 it will hotspot even at 1.59x, although it will probably mostly noticeable in white/bright images, along with some sparkle in the center of the screen.

Regarding projector lumens, the way to find out what the actual value is, is to look for reviews that have measured it.

3LCD projectors's color lumens are the same as white lumens (measured), but DLPs the color lumens can be lower.

For example, in this comparison between the HC2150 and the Optoma HD39Darbee (rated at 3500 lumens), the results for the white lumens are as follows:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...bee-review.htm

Cinema is usually the preset where color lumens are the same as white lumens,

This website claims the HD39Darbees's color lumens is 1100: https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/

The UHD50X hasn't been measured, but I suspect color lumens is ~1000-1700 lumens. There have been some reviews that put some projectors with non RGBRGB color wheels at ~2700lm, but I very much doubt that.
That website is run by Epson and they don't state their sources nor provide the actual test results.

The fact is that source content is not always best represented by 3LCD colour combinations and that 1000 3LCD colour lumens will probably appear dimmer than 1500 lumens at ~70% colour saturation because in real life colours are not fully saturated all the time, and there is a substantial amount of white in lots of source material. The other factor is that Dynamic Lamp Dimming allows DLP to run at full power when needed and still have much longer lamp life than a 3LCD projector.
post #70 of 146 Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
That website is run by Epson and they don't state their sources nor provide the actual test results.

The fact is that source content is not always best represented by 3LCD colour combinations and that 1000 3LCD colour lumens will probably appear dimmer than 1500 lumens at ~70% colour saturation because in real life colours are not fully saturated all the time, and there is a substantial amount of white in lots of source material. The other factor is that Dynamic Lamp Dimming allows DLP to run at full power when needed and still have much longer lamp life than a 3LCD projector.
The results line up with sage's results and every other non RGBRGB color wheel measurement. It's quite unusual to have Cinema mode for example at 2500-2700 lumens.

Unless sage got a sample that is 1000 lumens dimmer (with the TK850), and Kraine got some super bright unit (TK800/M), I'd wager the Projector Central measurements are mostly accurate.
Their measurements generally speaking line up, mostly with other review measurements. I don't discount them just because they're run by Epson.
post #71 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The results line up with sage's results and every other non RGBRGB color wheel measurement. It's quite unusual to have Cinema mode for example at 2500-2700 lumens.

Unless sage got a sample that is 1000 lumens dimmer (with the TK850), and Kraine got some super bright unit (TK800/M), I'd wager the Projector Central measurements are mostly accurate.
Their measurements generally speaking line up, mostly with other review measurements. I don't discount them just because they're run by Epson.

Where is there any mention of color lumens in the PC review of the HC2150 and HD39Darbee and what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

A better comparison would be PC's review of the UHD51ALV:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ALV-review.htm

which shares the same colour wheel.
post #72 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where is there any mention of color lumens in the PC review of the HC2150 and HD39Darbee and what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

A better comparison would be PC's review of the UHD51ALV:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ALV-review.htm

which shares the same colour wheel.
The previous poster mentioned lumens between models, and you commented on it as well.

I believe Cinema preset has color lumens the same as white lumens.

https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/ says for the color lumens for HD39Darbee is 1100 lumens. PC review says it's 1155.
For some of the 4K models color lumens are higher ~1500-1700 lumens.
post #73 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The previous poster mentioned lumens between models, and you commented on it as well.

I believe Cinema preset has color lumens the same as white lumens.

https://www.colorlightoutput.com/search/ says for the color lumens for HD39Darbee is 1100 lumens. PC review says it's 1155.
For some of the 4K models color lumens are higher ~1500-1700 lumens.
The data at the Epson site, above, cannot be verified because they don't publish the actual test results. I don't see anything in this thread where the above is pertinent.

That Epson site is designed to denigrate DLP projectors. It's methodology is very suspect:

" "Not so fast, there bub," say those who object to the CLO spec. Though CLO measures color brightness, it does not take into account color accuracy. In order to get the highest ANSI lumen and CLO ratings out of a 3LCD projector, you must run all three chips wide open. And if the UHP lamp behind them has a green bias as they typically do, then the white light on the screen will have a green tint. So you may have a projector rated at 3000 ANSI lumens of white light and 3000 lumens of Color Light Output, but the picture looks bad anyway because the color balance is way off. Since the CLO spec does not address color balance, it gives buyers nothing new or important about the projectors they are evaluating.

Meanwhile, DLP engineers can compensate for green lamp bias with a larger red filter, so the white light from DLP is often a cleaner, more neutral white than you'd normally get from a 3LCD projector with all chips wide open. And if you try to calibrate out the green bias on the 3LCD its lumen output drops, sometimes a lot, and the ANSI lumen and CLO specs may no longer be relevant. So how does the introduction of a new brightness spec that is flawed in the same way the ANSI lumen spec is solve anyone's problem? "
https://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd...ght-output.htm
post #74 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the lumens debate. I think I understand it a little better but am still having a hard time predicting whether the UHD50X will stack up to my current Epson HC2100. I suspect much better overall due to advancements in the technology and with better resolution/refresh rates for heavy PC use.

Edit: After looking a bit more closely, I might got with the Epson HC3800 instead because brightness is important to me. This will allow me to get close to the brightness of the HC2100's 'normal' mode (37db fan noise) with the 'eco' mode of the HC3800 (26db). Wanted the higher refresh rate and it's kinda too bad HC3800 doesn't offer that with 1080p, but I don't think I can handle how dim the Optoma would seem coming off of the Epson.

Quote:
I was using a 82 inch nu8000 before and no matter what setting i use on the uhd50x it just seems dim to me. Ive got a light controlled room that can be pitch black or light. It might be my screen as i got a xy ALR screen that has a 0.8 gain
Was scared to go higher gain as i thought i would get hotspoting

The 0.8 gain will give you better contrast but also a dimmer looking image. And coming from the 82" NU8000 which appears to be a pretty bright display coming from a huge surface, I think you'll find projectors in general much dimmer. I actually found TVs to kinda 'hurt' my eyes after long viewing in the dark whereas projectors generally don't have the same effect.

What prompted you to switch from the NU8000? Looks like an awesome TV at 82". I'm impressed by grey uniformity, input lag, contrast, resolution support all in one package.

Edit: I am understanding now that this projector is pretty dim compared to what I'm used to with the Epson HC2100.

Last edited by bidwood; 03-12-2020 at 04:15 PM.
post #75 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwood View Post
Thanks everyone for the lumens debate. I think I understand it a little better but am still having a hard time predicting whether the UHD50X will stack up to my current Epson HC2100. I suspect much better overall due to advancements in the technology and with better resolution/refresh rates for heavy PC use.

Edit: After looking a bit more closely, I might got with the Epson HC3800 instead because brightness is important to me. This will allow me to get close to the brightness of the HC2100's 'normal' mode (37db fan noise) with the 'eco' mode of the HC3800 (26db). Wanted the higher refresh rate and it's kinda too bad HC3800 doesn't offer that with 1080p, but I don't think I can handle how dim the Optoma would seem coming off of the Epson.

The 0.8 gain will give you better contrast but also a dimmer looking image. And coming from the 82" NU8000 which appears to be a pretty bright display coming from a huge surface, I think you'll find projectors in general much dimmer. I actually found TVs to kinda 'hurt' my eyes after long viewing in the dark whereas projectors generally don't have the same effect.

What prompted you to switch from the NU8000? Looks like an awesome TV at 82". I'm impressed by grey uniformity, input lag, contrast, resolution support all in one package.

Edit: I am understanding now that this projector is pretty dim compared to what I'm used to with the Epson HC2100.
I have an Epson HC1040 which is much brighter than an HC2100. I have directly compared it to a Viewsonic PX-747-4K and my current UHD50. The PX-747 was as bright in cinema modes and had much better colour and contrast when used with HDR source material.

Here's a UHD52ALV being projected onto a 200in screen:

Here's some PX747 images from my 145in low gain screen:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58093360

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58161414

Last edited by DunMunro; 03-12-2020 at 04:34 PM.
post #76 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 04:37 PM

I switch to projector for the screen size. 120 inch is much larger then 82. Im having alot of problems tho and my first projector experience isnt that good. My nvidia shield doesnt always pickup the hdmi signal from my samsung n950 soundbar. Foxtel is fine . Projector is loud and its too dim. The projector has a light border the goes all around the screen. So alot of bad and only good thing is size i guess and motion on action movies
post #77 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I switch to projector for the screen size. 120 inch is much larger then 82. Im having alot of problems tho and my first projector experience isnt that good. My nvidia shield doesnt always pickup the hdmi signal from my samsung n950 soundbar. Foxtel is fine . Projector is loud and its too dim. The projector has a light border the goes all around the screen. So alot of bad and only good thing is size i guess and motion on action movies
I'm guessing that you are having problems with the Nvidia and/or you have a faulty projector. On an 82in white screen the UHD50X should be blindingly bright.

Last edited by DunMunro; 03-12-2020 at 05:02 PM.
post #78 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 04:58 PM

What is nvidia rand.the shield works instantly on 1080p but as soon as i change it to 4k 60 hz it starts playing up. The signal does come up it just takes time upto 30 mins. I had to upgrade the hdmi cable to an amplified one to get the projector to soundbar to work
post #79 of 146 Old 03-12-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is nvidia rand.the shield works instantly on 1080p but as soon as i change it to 4k 60 hz it starts playing up. The signal does come up it just takes time upto 30 mins. I had to upgrade the hdmi cable to an amplified one to get the projector to soundbar to work
rand = and (spelling mistake).

So yes, you are definitely having problems with the Nvidia and/or your HDMI cables.
post #80 of 146 Old 03-13-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I have an Epson HC1040 which is much brighter than an HC2100. I have directly compared it to a Viewsonic PX-747-4K and my current UHD50. The PX-747 was as bright in cinema modes and had much better colour and contrast when used with HDR source material.

Here's a UHD52ALV being projected onto a 200in screen:

https://youtu.be/XEHvtPuwYrY

Here's some PX747 images from my 145in low gain screen:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58093360

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58161414

Ahhhhh I'm so torn! The image on the UHD50X's official product page shows the projector being used in a bright room, and the first line of text near the "where to buy" says "Bright 3,400 lumens with 500,000:1 contrast ratio for lights-on viewing". I might have to just take a risk and try this one out. Getting 120hz on 1080p would be soooooo awesome!

Thanks for your persistence in sharing your knowledge.
DunMunro likes this.
post #81 of 146 Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Any input on how this would compare to the Vivitek HK2288?
post #82 of 146 Old 03-17-2020, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
Any input on how this would compare to the Vivitek HK2288?
The Vivitek is similar to other 4K projectors, in terms of lag and everything else.
post #83 of 146 Old 03-17-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The Vivitek is similar to other 4K projectors, in terms of lag and everything else.
I have the Vivitek now and my biggest complaint is that it could be brighter. The UHD50X spec wise seems brighter, but at what cost?
post #84 of 146 Old 03-17-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
I have the Vivitek now and my biggest complaint is that it could be brighter. The UHD50X spec wise seems brighter, but at what cost?
Probably the usual cost, less color accuracy for higher brightness. Although if brightness is what you want the Epson HC3800 is probably ~40% brighter than the UHD50X, and more then twice the Vivitek. Lag in mid 20ms. But it's 3LCD so it does not have the motion handling of DLP.
post #85 of 146 Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Probably the usual cost, less color accuracy for higher brightness. Although if brightness is what you want the Epson HC3800 is probably ~40% brighter than the UHD50X, and more then twice the Vivitek. Lag in mid 20ms. But it's 3LCD so it does not have the motion handling of DLP.
I watch a lot of sports (when sports actually used to occur) so poor motion handling would likely bug me.
post #86 of 146 Old 03-17-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think we can draw any firm conclusions as to the relative brightness of the UHD50x and the HC3800, especially since the HC3800 is likely to be unacceptably noisy and have low lamp life in it's brightest setting.

The UHD51ALV, for example, was tested by Projector Central as being brighter than the HC3800, when both were in Cinema mode.
post #87 of 146 Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think we can draw any firm conclusions as to the relative brightness of the UHD50x and the HC3800, especially since the HC3800 is likely to be unacceptably noisy and have low lamp life in it's brightest setting.

The UHD51ALV, for example, was tested by Projector Central as being brighter than the HC3800, when both were in Cinema mode.
I don't think that the UHD50X will be any different, but the reviews will tell.

The HC3800 also has Bright Cinema and Natural which can put out ~2000lm on Medium lamp. That is close to the Epson, and with the Dynamic mode will prolong the lamp life. Don't know if the extra lumens the UHD50x will translate into more brightness in Cinema preset for example. More silent than the Epson on Medium lamp. Lag still high though. Can't do 24p.
post #88 of 146 Old 03-18-2020, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Any new owners of this projector able to weigh in?
desol007 likes this.
post #89 of 146 Old 03-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not just yet, but mine is on the way. I'm apparently the first to order the UHD42 in Scandinavia, according to the optoma rep I spoke with. With that being said, I'm not really sure if I can answer any questions in depth when it arrives, as this will be my first projector. But I'll try, and I'll give you my impressions.
noob00224 likes this.
post #90 of 146 Old 03-22-2020, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In this video Chris Majestic (starting at 6:35) states he will be reviewing the UHD30, which might be the UHD50X, or at least have the same DMD:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page