Optoma UHD50X: The World’s First 240Hz Cinema Gaming 4K Projector, - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 169Likes

post #241 of 558 Old 05-05-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by -shadow- View Post
Alright guys. Need some advice. I have the 142x Optoma now(pretty sure it’s the 142). I’ve been eyeballing the uhd60 for the last year. I’m finally ready to upgrade. On amazon when I click on uhd60 and click new 2020 model the uhd50x comes up. So is that the new 60? Or will a new one come out equal to the 60?

Anyway i wanna staybunder $2000 as much as possible. I’d love $1200 or so. But I’m sure that is unrealistic.

I watch football the most and lots of movies. I do play a lot of first person shooters online like halo(well I plan on getting back to playing a lot

My man cave is 16’x36’

Walls are really really dark gray.

Screen is some kind of vinyl? 96” is my screen size. It was given to me about 4 years ago when I remodeled a guys house and we built him a full fledged theatre room. Epic! Bar and everything.

I sit exactly 12’ from the screen

The projector now is mounted on the ceiling at 12’. The mount now can swing froward or backwards a foot or I can simply move it.

I have a 3n1 pool table and a dual basketball setup so I need to keep with the more lumens so I can keep the lights on if I want to hang out shooting pool. Good news is that i have 8 can lights in the room. 4 lights a towards the front and 4 setup in the back. So I can easily shut off the 4 front and dim the back lights.

So thoughts on moving to the new projector?

Oh. I also have 2 tcl 55” TVs setup to the left and right of the projector for football season. Or my kids wanna come hang out. I can watch ufc, grand baby can watch Disney, and my daughter can play Super Nintendo or Xbox. I have the Xbox and Super Nintendo Hooked up through a hdmi splittter at the moment so you can play halo or Super Nintendo on any of the 3 TVs.
It's not the new UHD60, it's a different model.

But this is not a movie projector. In this budget a compromise will have to be made. Either a gaming projector or a good picture quality one.
The room can handle the latter.
Problem is DLP that are better at picture quality like the HT3550 have ~50ms lag.
The Epson UB line is 3LCD and has mid 20ms lag, however 3LCD is not as good with motion handling as DLP.
HT3550 on the left, HC3800 on the right:

A refurb 5040UB (from Epson with warranty) would fit the budget, but it has a 10GB HDMI, which means it's limited to 4K HDR 24/30Hz. Some streaming services require 60Hz (Netflix, Vudu), in some instances. If bit depth can be dropped to 8bit from 10 the bottleneck will be passed, but banding will occur in solid colors.

Another issue with the 5040 is the HDR tone mapping is not great. A Panasonic UB420 will help with that, but only for streaming/disc playback, not gaming.

The 5050UB has a 18GB HDMI and better HDR tone mapping.

The UB line is much better in terms of picture quality than the UHD50x or HT3550.

Also that screen is very small for the seating.
General ratio is 10-12" in diagonal for every foot in distance. That would result in a screen from 120 to 144".

So you have to decide what's more important. If the priority is sports, then DLP is usually recommended. But the HT3550 for example does not have the lumens for a large screen. DLP that do either have poor picture quality (TK800M), or 60-80ms lag (TK850).
You could keep the current projector for sports and get a UB series for movies. Epsons have lens shift so it would not be an issue placing it.

Last edited by noob00224; 05-05-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 558 Old 05-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I returned my uhd50x.

Went back to my old Panasonic ae7000.

I don't notice much difference between the 2, if any....

4k didn't blow be away, and it looked like 1080p.

I wonder because it was faux k?

Tell me I'm crazy, but I like my panny 7000 better....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
post #243 of 558 Old 05-05-2020, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
I returned my uhd50x.

Went back to my old Panasonic ae7000.

I don't notice much difference between the 2, if any....

4k didn't blow be away, and it looked like 1080p.

I wonder because it was faux k?

Tell me I'm crazy, but I like my panny 7000 better....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
You have to be close enough to see the resolution. Not sure what the projection surface was.

Faux 4K can be pretty sharp. But overall sharpness is influenced by many factors, one of which is the source. Many movies are actually shot in 2K, and games may claim they output 4K, but internal resolution can be lower, and other issues of this type can have an effect.

Of course when it comes to what makes a picture look, good, resolution is not number one, not even two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 558 Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
It's not the new UHD60, it's a different model.

But this is not a movie projector. In this budget a compromise will have to be made. Either a gaming projector or a good picture quality one.
The room can handle the latter.
Problem is DLP that are better at picture quality like the HT3550 have ~50ms lag.
The Epson UB line is 3LCD and has mid 20ms lag, however 3LCD is not as good with motion handling as DLP.
HT3550 on the left, HC3800 on the right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0jReZWRvk

A refurb 5040UB (from Epson with warranty) would fit the budget, but it has a 10GB HDMI, which means it's limited to 4K HDR 24/30Hz. Some streaming services require 60Hz (Netflix, Vudu), in some instances. If bit depth can be dropped to 8bit from 10 the bottleneck will be passed, but banding will occur in solid colors.

Another issue with the 5040 is the HDR tone mapping is not great. A Panasonic UB420 will help with that, but only for streaming/disc playback, not gaming.

The 5050UB has a 18GB HDMI and better HDR tone mapping.

The UB line is much better in terms of picture quality than the UHD50x or HT3550.

Also that screen is very small for the seating.
General ratio is 10-12" in diagonal for every foot in distance. That would result in a screen from 120 to 144".

So you have to decide what's more important. If the priority is sports, then DLP is usually recommended. But the HT3550 for example does not have the lumens for a large screen. DLP that do either have poor picture quality (TK800M), or 60-80ms lag (TK850).
You could keep the current projector for sports and get a UB series for movies. Epsons have lens shift so it would not be an issue placing it.

Man. Why does life have to be so complicated lol. I was happy with the 142. Only problem is I put a tcl 6 series 75” tv in the living room downstairs and it looks so good it kinda hurts watching movies on the 142 Optoma now lol. I know it’s not gonna compare just wanted to get it looking a lot more crisp upstairs. While keeping the lumens up for keeping the lights on. The 142 now has 3000.

I’d love and planned on going to 120” screen sooner or later but plans changed. 1- I got the 96” screen free(not that I can’t afford to order a new screen and build a new frame. So that’s not a huge issue really) 2- is the most important one. If I’m not watching a movie I’m watching football on all 3(2 55” TVs and a 96” projector) as you can tell in the picture from my previous post that’s the biggest screen I can go without getting smaller TVs.
But later today I may try and find a measurement on a 120” screen and see if I can make it work on that wall. I can build and angle the TVs more.

Me and the wife are actually pretty happy with the 96”. It was bigger than I thought even at 30’ across the room.

Sports is probably more important. With Lag for halo online 2nd and then movie quality. If the picture is a lot nicer and sharper than the 142. I would think I’d be happy.

EDIT- oh wow. Can’t Believe I’ve never measured. I was easily able to roll the 2 55” TVs a little and get 107” between them both with no problem. The couple screens I looked up on amazon said I need 104” give or take. So with that in mind I’ll leave it 96” for the moment since I’ve already built the frame for it and painted it. I’ll plan on moving to a 120” screen soon.

Last edited by -shadow-; 05-06-2020 at 07:44 AM.
post #245 of 558 Old 05-06-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man. Why does life have to be so complicated lol. I was happy with the 142. Only problem is I put a tcl 6 series 75” tv in the living room downstairs and it looks so good it kinda hurts watching movies on the 142 Optoma now lol. I know it’s not gonna compare just wanted to get it looking a lot more crisp upstairs. While keeping the lumens up for keeping the lights on. The 142 now has 3000.

I’d love and planned on going to 120” screen sooner or later but plans changed. 1- I got the 96” screen free(not that I can’t afford to order a new screen and build a new frame. So that’s not a huge issue really) 2- is the most important one. If I’m not watching a movie I’m watching football on all 3(2 55” TVs and a 96” projector) as you can tell in the picture from my previous post that’s the biggest screen I can go without getting smaller TVs.
But later today I may try and find a measurement on a 120” screen and see if I can make it work on that wall. I can build and angle the TVs more.

Me and the wife are actually pretty happy with the 96”. It was bigger than I thought even at 30’ across the room.

Sports is probably more important. With Lag for halo online 2nd and then movie quality. If the picture is a lot nicer and sharper than the 142. I would think I’d be happy.

EDIT- oh wow. Can’t Believe I’ve never measured. I was easily able to roll the 2 55” TVs a little and get 107” between them both with no problem. The couple screens I looked up on amazon said I need 104” give or take. So with that in mind I’ll leave it 96” for the moment since I’ve already built the frame for it and painted it. I’ll plan on moving to a 120” screen soon.
The HD142x does not have 3000 lumens.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/opt...tor-review.htm

I elaborated on sharpness and 4K in a post above.

96/104/107 are small screens from 12', generally speaking. An 135" would be medium size. The type of content consumed matters. Movies that are made for large cinema screens will look better on a large screen than a TV show on 150".

These non RGBRGB color wheels projectors are similar in terms of picture quality. Not sure what you mean by crisp. IMO the most important aspect from a picture quality aspect is contrast (for movies). You can't have all in one in this budget.

Keep the 142. I went over some points in the previous post.
post #246 of 558 Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The HD142x does not have 3000 lumens.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/opt...tor-review.htm

I elaborated on sharpness and 4K in a post above.

96/104/107 are small screens from 12', generally speaking. An 135" would be medium size. The type of content consumed matters. Movies that are made for large cinema screens will look better on a large screen than a TV show on 150".

These non RGBRGB color wheels projectors are similar in terms of picture quality. Not sure what you mean by crisp. IMO the most important aspect from a picture quality aspect is contrast (for movies). You can't have all in one in this budget.

Keep the 142. I went over some points in the previous post.

Ah. Sharpness. Guess that’s what I meant when I said crisp. I guess looking at the 142’s picture now it’s 1080p. It’s edges are jagged compared to the sharpness of 4K or the 2 55” TVs next to it. Trust me I know. I’m not trying to compare the 142 vs a 55” tv. I’m just trying to make it look better. I figured moving up to the optoma50x or equal projector and hooking up an Apple TV with hdr and all would clean it up.

What am I missing about the Lumens? It says it’s rated at 3000. There rest shows it hit 2500 lumens. I do have eco mode turned off.

I believe 120” will be my max. So I’ll have to work with that.

Looks like it’s a huge leap from the 142 to the 50x. Contrast, 4K, gaming, etc right?
I guess I was so impressed with the 142 for its price(pretty sure I got it on sale for like $500) that I was trying to stick with Optoma. It always had great reviews and more lumens for my room when I needed lights on.

Thanks for the help so far.

Side note- is this getting off the wrong path in this thread? Do I need to move it? If so where?
post #247 of 558 Old 05-06-2020, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah. Sharpness. Guess that’s what I meant when I said crisp. I guess looking at the 142’s picture now it’s 1080p. It’s edges are jagged compared to the sharpness of 4K or the 2 55” TVs next to it. Trust me I know. I’m not trying to compare the 142 vs a 55” tv. I’m just trying to make it look better. I figured moving up to the optoma50x or equal projector and hooking up an Apple TV with hdr and all would clean it up.

What am I missing about the Lumens? It says it’s rated at 3000. There rest shows it hit 2500 lumens. I do have eco mode turned off.

I believe 120” will be my max. So I’ll have to work with that.

Looks like it’s a huge leap from the 142 to the 50x. Contrast, 4K, gaming, etc right?
I guess I was so impressed with the 142 for its price(pretty sure I got it on sale for like $500) that I was trying to stick with Optoma. It always had great reviews and more lumens for my room when I needed lights on.

Thanks for the help so far.

Side note- is this getting off the wrong path in this thread? Do I need to move it? If so where?
Read the post about 4K sharpness again.

Read the measurements from the review. The highest preset usually has a green tint.

Where did you get the idea that the UHD50x would be a huge leap? Especially with a small screen from 12'.
post #248 of 558 Old 05-07-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Read the post about 4K sharpness again.

Read the measurements from the review. The highest preset usually has a green tint.

Where did you get the idea that the UHD50x would be a huge leap? Especially with a small screen from 12'.
Gotcha. Now I’m learning. I think lol.

I guess I’m just a normal consumer. Reason I came here.
I just assumed at the very least going from 25,000 contrast to 50,000(50x) or 100,000(uhd60), 4K, slightly more lumens, and going from roughly 35 lag to 20 or so would be a huge leap. So now I’m assuming I’m wrong lol.
I’m I right assuming it would look better even with my small screen at 12’ it would just be so minimal that I’d be wasting my money right? I’m sure it has to look better.

I seen YouTube videos of the 60 on 4K and it looked amazing. Those videos were of 120” or larger. Guess I’m going to back to the drawing board. Which starts with a new bulb for the 142. I got a “replace bulb” or something notification the other day.
So I’ll get a new bulb, mess with the settings since I’ve never really done that and start really looking and learning about the projectors. I’ll move up to at least the 120” screen but I’m sure that’s it.

Thanks for all the letdowns..... I mean help haha.
post #249 of 558 Old 05-12-2020, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also quite interested in the UHD30 and UHD50x as a replacement for an Epson 2150 that was ok but had back to back unit failures (1st unit was replaced by epson, and then the replacement failed after several months, seems like a PSU issue possibly). Oh and on the replacement unit they didnt restart the warranty so when it failed the original warranty had ended so i couldnt get the defunct 2nd unit replaced. so i'm a little iffy about sticking with Epson though that epson 3800 that @noob00224 mentioned looks pretty good and is close to the UHD50x price range.

subbing to this thread hoping for more reviews by folks that jump into the UHD30 or 50x

My TV! and I love it! the Vizio M3D550KD 

And yes the 3D rocks using passive glasses.

apparently a newer version of it is out though, still looks like a good value.

post #250 of 558 Old 05-12-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 796
My Optoma HD3300 is finally showing its age with a dark spot in the lower portion of the image. I've owned it since 2011-2012, so it doesn't owe me anything. The one thing this new projector has that a lot of budget projectors don't is anamorphic stretch (LBX). this excites me, as I'll be able to keep my anamorphic lens for super wide 2.35:1 gaming. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #251 of 558 Old 05-12-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Some more brief video reviews:

These can be viewed in 4K.
post #252 of 558 Old 05-12-2020, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfatmama View Post
I'm also quite interested in the UHD30 and UHD50x as a replacement for an Epson 2150 that was ok but had back to back unit failures (1st unit was replaced by epson, and then the replacement failed after several months, seems like a PSU issue possibly). Oh and on the replacement unit they didnt restart the warranty so when it failed the original warranty had ended so i couldnt get the defunct 2nd unit replaced. so i'm a little iffy about sticking with Epson though that epson 3800 that @noob00224 mentioned looks pretty good and is close to the UHD50x price range.

subbing to this thread hoping for more reviews by folks that jump into the UHD30 or 50x
This is the thing. I have a buddy with an Epson and the picture looks really good (admittedly much better than my Optoma DLP), but I worry about reliability issues. I can't afford to replace my projector every few years. It has to last like 7-10 years, so I suppose my black levels are going to take a bit of a hit, but whatever. If I went Epson, I would also have to go to their very top of the line model (the 6050 which is prohibitively expensive) to get anamorphic stretch that this UHD50X has.
yourfatmama likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #253 of 558 Old 05-13-2020, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
This is the thing. I have a buddy with an Epson and the picture looks really good (admittedly much better than my Optoma DLP), but I worry about reliability issues. I can't afford to replace my projector every few years. It has to last like 7-10 years, so I suppose my black levels are going to take a bit of a hit, but whatever. If I went Epson, I would also have to go to their very top of the line model (the 6050 which is prohibitively expensive) to get anamorphic stretch that this UHD50X has.
You should try to maximize picture quality. The lens requirement will eliminate a lot of models.

What do you need the lens for, how large and what type of fabric is the screen made of?
post #254 of 558 Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should try to maximize picture quality. The lens requirement will eliminate a lot of models.

What do you need the lens for, how large and what type of fabric is the screen made of?
Of course I want to maximize picture quality, hence the debate.

If I go with the Optoma/lens combo, I'm likely to have a sharp image as DLP tends to be sharp anyway, but with the lens it will also mean I don't have to zoom, allowing me to keep the brightness and smaller pixels. Will it be noticeable and will the lens hamper the sharpness going from 1080p to 4k? Not sure. If I go with the Epson, I will have to use lens memory, meaning it will have to use zoom going to 2.35:1 (which is what I use primarily). It's going to offer better blacks for sure, but my front row is close and I'm not sure if zooming an already faux 4k image will be no good. Who knows?

Anyway, I have a 138" curved DIY 2.35:1 screen made of Seymour XD material (I think it's 0.8).

post #255 of 558 Old 05-14-2020, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hello UHD50x/UHD42 owners!

I would love to hear some observations
Black levels, noise, PQ, gaming etc etc..

Noticed that UHD42 is 400€ cheaper than my current tk850.. That is something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #256 of 558 Old 05-14-2020, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Guys,

I'm new to the whole projector scene but I had an Epson back in the days of 720p and dealt with the ups and downs of 3LCD (mostly ups)

I bought an Epson again (the HC 3800) and it has been nothing sort of... sexual chocolate is how I would describe the PQ

I've got it hooked to a Denon & PS4pro and the CEC and everything besides the PQ have been dreamy too

I also am a fan of new tech and this DMD mirror stuff is a game changer one way or another so I like to collect game changing tech (if it's available at human being price)

..so maybe I bought a UHD50x too

Problem is I like both of them. It's kind of like a bentley and a ferrari

Bentley of course is the epson, ferrari is the UHD50x

I can feel the sharpness of the UHD50x and I'm projecting on a 150" high gain wall that I went and researched the satin paint for

I get the jeebies about the Optoma though because it just feels too new and it feels really still like a prototype almost
You can see light bleed out all over the inside of this beamer and it's just not as refined feeling and I don't know if Optomas are built to last.

That old epson I had lasted 4 years of college kids partying with it and abusing it daily...

How are you guys who have owned Optomas dealt with reliability, warranty, other stuff like that not immediately related to PQ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_165425 (2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	2726106  

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)
post #257 of 558 Old 05-14-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
Guys,

I'm new to the whole projector scene but I had an Epson back in the days of 720p and dealt with the ups and downs of 3LCD (mostly ups)

I bought an Epson again (the HC 3800) and it has been nothing sort of... sexual chocolate is how I would describe the PQ

I've got it hooked to a Denon & PS4pro and the CEC and everything besides the PQ have been dreamy too

I also am a fan of new tech and this DMD mirror stuff is a game changer one way or another so I like to collect game changing tech (if it's available at human being price)

I can feel the sharpness of the UHD50x and I'm projecting on a 150" high gain wall that I went and researched the satin paint for

I get the jeebies about the Optoma though because it just feels too new and it feels really still like a prototype almost
You can see light bleed out all over the inside of this beamer and it's just not as refined feeling and I don't know if Optomas are built to last.

That old epson I had lasted 4 years of college kids partying with it and abusing it daily...

How are you guys who have owned Optomas dealt with reliability, warranty, other stuff like that not immediately related to PQ???
The light bleed is a consequence of the small case size. On my W1070, I made some cardboard baffles which help reduce the light spray. The UHD52ALV should be somewhat better in terms of light leaks as the UHD40/50/51A/52ALV have a larger and heavier case, but these models don't have the cutting edge gaming tech of the UHD50X. I've never had any warranty issues on any of my projectors so I can't really comment on that.
post #258 of 558 Old 05-15-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Of course I want to maximize picture quality, hence the debate.

If I go with the Optoma/lens combo, I'm likely to have a sharp image as DLP tends to be sharp anyway, but with the lens it will also mean I don't have to zoom, allowing me to keep the brightness and smaller pixels. Will it be noticeable and will the lens hamper the sharpness going from 1080p to 4k? Not sure. If I go with the Epson, I will have to use lens memory, meaning it will have to use zoom going to 2.35:1 (which is what I use primarily). It's going to offer better blacks for sure, but my front row is close and I'm not sure if zooming an already faux 4k image will be no good. Who knows?

Anyway, I have a 138" curved DIY 2.35:1 screen made of Seymour XD material (I think it's 0.8).
The XD is 0.95 (measured).

The HD33 has an effective brightness of ~1200 lumens, not sure if it's with or without Brilliant Color. With a new lamp.

How far away is the first row?

What is the color of the walls?
post #259 of 558 Old 05-15-2020, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How's the video gaming on either of those?
i was focusing on the optoma UHD30 (cheaper cousin to the UHD50x) but maybe i need to include the epson 3800 or 4010 in my candidates...

keep us updated on your comparisons of these ! thanks!

Quote:
Guys,

My TV! and I love it! the Vizio M3D550KD 

And yes the 3D rocks using passive glasses.

apparently a newer version of it is out though, still looks like a good value.

post #260 of 558 Old 05-15-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The XD is 0.95 (measured).

The HD33 has an effective brightness of ~1200 lumens, not sure if it's with or without Brilliant Color. With a new lamp.

How far away is the first row?

What is the color of the walls?
The front row sits about 7 feet from the screen (yes, it's very close - those are the "cheap seats!"). The second row middle is the main listening position at about 11.5 feet away. I have a drop ceiling painted a very dark grey, but later added a few feet of velvet to the ceiling for added measure. I don't get any reflections from the side wall due to the curve of the screen. Here's a pic (hope it works);

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sYt...ew?usp=sharing

post #261 of 558 Old 05-15-2020, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm deff getting this projector
post #262 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The front row sits about 7 feet from the screen (yes, it's very close - those are the "cheap seats!"). The second row middle is the main listening position at about 11.5 feet away. I have a drop ceiling painted a very dark grey, but later added a few feet of velvet to the ceiling for added measure. I don't get any reflections from the side wall due to the curve of the screen. Here's a pic (hope it works);

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sYt...ew?usp=sharing
From 7' and maybe even from 11.5 the screen door effect might be visible with a UB series. BTW is it visible now?

It would be sad if you were to put a low contrast projector in that room. These 4K DLPs are the worst.

One can't completely remove subjectivity. Some people don't care or would be satisfied with a image that has poor blacks and contrast. I can only say that if I would make a home theater I would arrange everything around picture quality. In that setup I would move the seats backwards rather than get a UHD50x. If the screen door effect is bothersome. The UB series is such a great value with it's brightness, good blacks, motorized lens. Unfortunately it's not as sharp as 4K DLP from 7' with an 138" screen.

Can't see the picture, don't use google.

Last edited by noob00224; 05-16-2020 at 02:34 AM.
post #263 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfatmama View Post
How's the video gaming on either of those?
i was focusing on the optoma UHD30 (cheaper cousin to the UHD50x) but maybe i need to include the epson 3800 or 4010 in my candidates...

keep us updated on your comparisons of these ! thanks!
That is an incredibly good question actually

They BOTH are excellent I would say. You need to make your mind up about DLP vs 3LCD and your room more than anything

Epson was designed to fit just about anything but prefers a high shelf. The Optoma will NEED to either sit very far back on a coffee table or go ceiling mount, so you need to do your math.

As mentioned before, PQ is going to edge out in sharpness with the UHD50x. It is razor sharp no doubt about it and the colors are dueling piano on par with the Epson machine.

Some drawbacks though and ultimately at least why I am returning my Optoma
1. light border is a real thing with the .47" chip and I didn't pay for this. I'm not upset about the slight light bleed but it affects your throw too and they don't tell you about this. You ultimately need more zoom to get the same bang on the wall
2. "Game mode" is deceitful. I'll post some pictures but the game mode must put the mirrors in turbo and then they don't respond as well. I found that the resolution ultimately suffers with this on... counter intuitive to the low lag marketing point. You will lose to the Epson handedly in this mode.
3. Light output isn't doing it for me at the end of the day. It's bright, but it's not 3LCD bright and I put both in the same room... The epson had my PS4 pro on the "dim idle screen" and I left the DLP on projecting a 120" to my Epson's 150" wall. The Optoma was bright until I touched my PS4 sticks and the entire room turned blue and it washed out the Optoma's screen.
4. Focus & distance... I honestly do not believe the Optoma was designed for more than about 120" of wall. It gets extremely difficult to focus the whole image after this size. The Epson will do 150" no problem and lights my walls in the afternoon still

3 pics attached.... First is the Optoma in standard mode and you can tell the resolution is very sharp... still questions about mapping pixels like the others brought up and we still have vertical artifacts on text
Second is with the Game mode on.. note the loss in resolution and how it destroys the visibility of the 4k text
Third pic is a much larger wall (120 vs 150) and these are still taken at an arms length away from the screens... but that is the Epson with the pixel shift

I was just very surprised at how use-able 4k and even windows at full resolution was on the Epson and the resolution, like others say, you need to be standing with your hand touching the screen to see. The Optoma disappointed me because of this loss in the game mode... Why the artifacting? This is a direct PC connection and all I'm doing is switching the laptop between sources.

I can't say that I'm getting the same dollar out of my pocket value after all of this... I'm just blown away that "double HD" comes this close. There seems to be more that the Japanese machine does and I still am trying to figure it out. It feels like this is more than 2k pixel shifted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200513_223019.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	2727104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_220042.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	2727106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_221719.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	2727108  
noob00224 likes this.

Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
post #264 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 AM

This is what bothered me with the light bleeding out of the projector BTW

Epson Vs Optoma

The amount that bled out of the Optoma was disappointing to me and you can see it in the pic, you are looking directly into the light engine of the Optoma

This is going to temporarily blind you unless you build a shush box or the aforementioned light baffle, another unforseen setup addition

Epson never bothered me. You can tell the decreased intensity by the cameraphone's response to the picture. Epson you will see it but it's not going to blind you in your dark theater room
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200513_213820.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	2727128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_213851.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	2727136  

Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
post #265 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Here's another pixel comparison too

Again Laptop PC in 4k, we are at arms length from either a 120" or 150" screen so put distance into perspective but there will be increased sharpness with the Optoma

This is on Non-Game mode too guys.

Game mode you will not get this clarity from the Optoma unfortunately. Not from my observations.

You either get the full PQ with lag or you sacrifice PQ to improve lag... Basic physics it seems

It has to be put into perspective though, visible pixel density really is not drastically different and this will be imperceptible at anything even approaching normal viewing distances.

I view the 150" screen from about 12' and I cannot see the individual dots. The text seems clear and sharp to me again when I move back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200514_143853.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2727146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_143921.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	2727148  

Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
post #266 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

3 pics attached.... First is the Optoma in standard mode and you can tell the resolution is very sharp... still questions about mapping pixels like the others brought up and we still have vertical artifacts on text
Second is with the Game mode on.. note the loss in resolution and how it destroys the visibility of the 4k text
Third pic is a much larger wall (120 vs 150) and these are still taken at an arms length away from the screens... but that is the Epson with the pixel shift
What setting were you using in the enhanced gaming mode menu?

enhanced modes:

4K 60Hz/1440P 60Hz/1080P 60Hz/1080P 120Hz/1080P 240Hz (resolution and refresh rate)
25.8ms / 25.8ms / 23.8ms / 18.2ms / 15.7ms (lag)

The 2nd pic appears to have the enhanced gaming mode set to one of the latter 3 modes where 4K XPR is turned off.

Last edited by DunMunro; 05-16-2020 at 11:02 AM.
post #267 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
What setting were you using in the enhanced gaming mode menu?

enhanced modes:

4K 60Hz/1440P 60Hz/1080P 60Hz/1080P/120Hz/1080P 240Hz (resolution and refresh rate)
25.8ms / 25.8ms / 23.8ms / 18.2ms / 15.7ms (lag)

The 2nd pic appears to have the enhanced gaming mode set to one of the latter 3 modes where 4K XPR is turned off.
Correct, this is with enhanced gaming enabled which if you guys want to see more of I can post more pictures.

Now the problem I have with this mode is that you mentioned it has multiple settings... Where I found those settings would be under the picture menu where you can change the types of color modes to set the PJ

Any of these modes had the same effect except one which was like "bright" and reduced the chroma dramatically

I just wanted the mode where it was [email protected] and the lag was <35ms. It tells me I'm doing [email protected] on the screen in this enhanced gaming mode but you see the artifacts even with the screen registering the resolution... that's why I'm posting.

Question then is this really 4k with the enhanced gaming mode on...

The Epson this was just plug and go and I've been playing Destiny 2 and Read Dead II on it all day long without glitches or hiccups

Also... another thing I noticed about the Optoma on Read Dead

High contrast scenes where you have white on black and you need to move fast... regardless the setting the Optoma is prone to this artifacting that, while it's not Rainbow I'd describe it as "pigeon wing fluttering" or the image structure starts to break up. You have to be panning real fast to see it and it has to be white on black too.
The scene is in the beginning of read dead when you are in the snow and I will pan the camera in the snow and get this pigeon wing fluttering effect on the Optoma

Enhanced gaming mode super cuts down on this but again if you move way to fast it seems to just break up and I can't explain it. I don't have that much experience with new-new DLP but it's a weird artifact for sure... Only super fast motion otherwise it is much more fluid.
You don't see the pixel stuff happening when you turn the enhanced mode on but I wanted to pull out of a game and see how the PJ would treat a computer image directly and whether it'd introduce artifacts.

Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
post #268 of 558 Old 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct, this is with enhanced gaming enabled which if you guys want to see more of I can post more pictures.

Now the problem I have with this mode is that you mentioned it has multiple settings... Where I found those settings would be under the picture menu where you can change the types of color modes to set the PJ

Any of these modes had the same effect except one which was like "bright" and reduced the chroma dramatically

I just wanted the mode where it was [email protected] and the lag was <35ms. It tells me I'm doing [email protected] on the screen in this enhanced gaming mode but you see the artifacts even with the screen registering the resolution... that's why I'm posting.

Question then is this really 4k with the enhanced gaming mode on...

The Epson this was just plug and go and I've been playing Destiny 2 and Read Dead II on it all day long without glitches or hiccups

Also... another thing I noticed about the Optoma on Read Dead

High contrast scenes where you have white on black and you need to move fast... regardless the setting the Optoma is prone to this artifacting that, while it's not Rainbow I'd describe it as "pigeon wing fluttering" or the image structure starts to break up. You have to be panning real fast to see it and it has to be white on black too.
The scene is in the beginning of read dead when you are in the snow and I will pan the camera in the snow and get this pigeon wing fluttering effect on the Optoma

Enhanced gaming mode super cuts down on this but again if you move way to fast it seems to just break up and I can't explain it. I don't have that much experience with new-new DLP but it's a weird artifact for sure... Only super fast motion otherwise it is much more fluid.
You don't see the pixel stuff happening when you turn the enhanced mode on but I wanted to pull out of a game and see how the PJ would treat a computer image directly and whether it'd introduce artifacts.
OK. I'm not sure I completely understand but when I was experimenting with 120hz 1080P on my UHD50, I found that sometimes Win10 would output 4K but set the desktop resolution to 1080P so I thought it was 1080P until I checked the input signal on the UHD50 Menu->Info screen.

The other artifacts you mention sound like bandwith issues, but that's just a guess on my part.

BTW, if you have more pics of the enhanced modes, I would like to see them. 1440P sounds interesting.

Last edited by DunMunro; 05-16-2020 at 11:27 AM.
post #269 of 558 Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

another short UHD50x video review;

post #270 of 558 Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Can someone tell what’s the difference between UHD50x and UHD30? Seems the same..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page