Back Yard Projector & Design Help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Back Yard Projector & Design Help!

Greetings to you fine A/V folks! Thank you in advance for your help. If this isn't allowed, please delete! Just looking for some feedback on my backyard theater design...See picture below:

I am installing this composite decking and a 92"x92" hot tub in my back yard. Further, I would like to install a projection screen on the rear side of my 2-car detached garage, so that we can watch movies or sports while hanging out in the hot tub. Problem is--I just don't know what projector I should be getting.

I will be building a custom wood casing of some kind to house the projector...it will likely be located somewhere about 5 feet or so from the garage...similar to where the beat-up garden area currently sits. My quick questions:

1. Where should I start? Screen size? Location? Projector type?
2. Making a few assumptions...what would you recommend?
3. At the end of the day, I want the screen to be viewable to the entire yard, and would like to steam YoutubeTV to watch sports in the back yard. What would you do?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 10, 9 27 25 AM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2683282  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2020, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Manship View Post
Greetings to you fine A/V folks! Thank you in advance for your help. If this isn't allowed, please delete! Just looking for some feedback on my backyard theater design...See picture below:

I am installing this composite decking and a 92"x92" hot tub in my back yard. Further, I would like to install a projection screen on the rear side of my 2-car detached garage, so that we can watch movies or sports while hanging out in the hot tub. Problem is--I just don't know what projector I should be getting.

I will be building a custom wood casing of some kind to house the projector...it will likely be located somewhere about 5 feet or so from the garage...similar to where the beat-up garden area currently sits. My quick questions:

3. At the end of the day, I want the screen to be viewable to the entire yard, and would like to steam YoutubeTV to watch sports in the back yard. What would you do?

Thank you in advance!
Just saw that there is another thread for outdoor theaters.. @mods would you mind changing the thread please? Thank you!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Thank you in advance!
I assume the projector is going to be used at night, or dusk?

How far away is the pool/viewing area?

What is the dimension of the garage wall?

Can the projector be placed further back, possibly behind the pool?

What will there be used as a screen?

Budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2020, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
I assume the projector is going to be used at night, or dusk?

How far away is the pool/viewing area?

What is the dimension of the garage wall?

Can the projector be placed further back, possibly behind the pool?

What will there be used as a screen?

Budget?
There is no budget necessarily, and I am open to getting the right product needed to make it look the way it should.

The distance from the garage wall to the hot tub is 30 feet. The viewing size area on the garage is 16 feet (wide) I believe...I will need to check.

I am open to putting the components wherever is needed...just want to make sure I get the best video quality possible given my back yard setup.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
There is no budget necessarily, and I am open to getting the right product needed to make it look the way it should.

The distance from the garage wall to the hot tub is 30 feet. The viewing size area on the garage is 16 feet (wide) I believe...I will need to check.

I am open to putting the components wherever is needed...just want to make sure I get the best video quality possible given my back yard setup.
Problems to overcome:

Optimal screen size to viewing distance is influenced by projector resolution, source, and personal preference. A very general ratio is 10-12" in diagonal for every foot in distance. 30' would be 300" to 360".

If width of the area where the screen would be is 16'/192", then the biggest screen that would fit (16:9 format) is 220.3" diagonal.
http://screen-size.info/

Projectors that can be placed at ~5' and are capable of such a big image must be UST, but I'm not familiar with models that can do more than 120".

Ambient light will hurt contrast and black level in particular, so control of ambient light so that it does not hit the screen directly is important.

Even with ambient light control, there are no Home Cinema projectors that can light up a 220" screen with I assume some ambient light. Again, this setup is plausible only during night time, with dusk being possible with a very bright unit.

Projectors that can be placed at a distance, light up a 220" screen, even in dusk, do exist, but they are venue projectors and don't exist in the sub 3K$ category (new at least).

If the screen diagonal could be lowered, to say 140-120", a relatively cheap projector could work, i.e. Epson HC3700 for 1080p and HC3800 for 4K.
UST's require the screen to be perfectly flat, and I'm not sure what the screen setup will be like.

Calculator for the HC3700:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm

LE:
Or this option: Epson Home Cinema 1440.

The HC1060 is not as bright, and has a lower throw ratio:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm

The calculators show where the projector would be in relation to the screen. The HC3xxx series has lens shift (at the bottom of the page on the calculator), the other two do not.

Last edited by noob00224; 02-10-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
backyard , outdoor screen , outdoor sound , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page