Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2020, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Benq W2000 problems

Hello,

I've been having issues with my Benq W2000 projector ever since my bulb exploded after around 3000 hours. No warning, just exploded.
So I ordered a new original lamp at Amazon and replaced it, but the unit kept switching off after a minute or 2 because of a fan that had reduced speed --> seemed to be the fan under the motherboard, and since this blows directly onto the bulb this is an important one :-)

I opened up the top cover to try and remove as much of the glass as possible, but I couldn't get the issue resolved so I took it to a local repair shop to have it cleaned.

Once I got my projector back it indeed seemed to work again without shutting down. Only problem is there are now " spots " showing in my image, which are mostly visible in dark scenes. Below a link to some pictures.

I immediately contacted the shop and they told me to return the unit, I assumed because the technician forgot to clean something ( I could also still hear a glass fragment make some noise ). After a few days I got it back, installed it again, but nothing had changed.. They did not give me any information whatsoever, they just sent it back so I assumed they would have fixed it.

I contacted them again, but the only information I could get from them was that there is dust in the " lens " and this is a non removable part which cannot be opened, so it cannot be cleaned or replaced. Apparently it's just bad luck, because sometimes this lens is not sealed properly.
According to the technician the lamp/fan problem has got nothing to do with these spots so he charged me 20 euros shipping costs for re-checking the unit. (after I already payed 150 just for the fan "repair" without the bulb). What's even more ridiculous is the fact he claims that it's not that big of a deal these spots (I told him I can almost not use my projector anymore). You can check the pictures here:

[IMG]https://photos.app.*******/SCQRaSS3QwHi23RF7[/IMG]
[IMG]https://photos.app.*******/1dNgPwRUA2jpfZuz9[/IMG]

The strange thing is, before the bulb exploded I had no issues with these spots. What could have caused this dust, or is this a different issue? And is there some kind of solution?

It's really horrible to watch a movie this way ..

Thanks for any feedback !

Regards,
Tristan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 611
The symptom your describing is often the result of someone blowing compressed air into the projector. In your attempt to clean the glass out did you by any chance use compressed air in an attempt to dislodge the glass? I do think the optics can be dissembled to clean out the dust but it can be time consuming and I can see if the repair shop didn't use compressed air then they are not responsible but if they did then they should be held accountable.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 317
@Tristan Van Huyck
This is the kind of thing that happens when people try to cut corners.

I assume the lamp that was purchased is not an original lamp, bulb + casing?

Secondly, that shop clearly is not a projector/Benq authorized shop since they said the light tunnel can't be opened, and haven't cleaned all the glass from it.

On my W2000, when the lamp blew up, I sent to to Benq where they cleaned it and installed a new lamp. Benq offers a cleaning service for projectors. My unit also had dust issues.

I do have a complaint, that the new lamp is dimmer than the old one, I think. I suggest to send it to Benq to get it cleaned, and get an original lamp and install it yourself.

The links are not accessable, just paste the link in the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

@rekbones : I did not use any compressed air the clean out the unit .. I can ask the shop if they did, but I think I already know what the answer will be.

@noob00224 : Actually the the bulb + housing is original, bought it OEM on Amazon. I'll ask Benq what the cost would be.

Apparently I cannot post a link because I haven't got enough posts.

I do think I was able to upload the pictures below the post.

Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_000937.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	2683630   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_212048.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	2683632  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Van Huyck View Post
@rekbones : I did not use any compressed air the clean out the unit .. I can ask the shop if they did, but I think I already know what the answer will be.

@noob00224 : Actually the the bulb + housing is original, bought it OEM on Amazon. I'll ask Benq what the cost would be.

Apparently I cannot post a link because I haven't got enough posts.

I do think I was able to upload the pictures below the post.

Thx

Can you post a link of the Amazon lamp?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Can you post a link of the Amazon lamp?
certainly:

amazon.de/gp/product/B0186CGYJE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3S0DSUZZDXDJG&psc=1

Had to split the URL since I still cannot post any links ..

Looks like an original one to me, sold by Benq.

Thx
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
certainly:

amazon.de/gp/product/B0186CGYJE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3S0DSUZZDXDJG&psc=1

Had to split the URL since I still cannot post any links ..

Looks like an original one to me, sold by Benq.

Thx

Looks like it.

The cost of cleaning/service is relatively low, depends on the region.

You could do it yourself if you feel comfortable. The issue is I'm not sure what the problem is, and if the projector is still in warranty opening it up more than the cover that is used for lamp changed would void the warranty.

If the price quoted by Benq is too high, here is the way to open the light path. I believe compressed air can be used here.

At 10m:57s:

post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! I'll give you an update. The repair shop now replied they want to " check " it again.. Even though before they replied the problem cannot be fixed. Maybe it's because I asked if they used compressed air :-)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot! I'll give you an update. The repair shop now replied they want to " check " it again.. Even though before they replied the problem cannot be fixed. Maybe it's because I asked if they used compressed air :-)
I believe the only way to fix the dust issue inside the light path is to open it up. The W2000 is very similar to the W1080ST in the video above.

Here are pictures from the HT2050 (W1110 outside of NA), which is almost identical to the W2000. The black rubber or whatever it is that needs to be opened can be seen in a few pictures below. Just make sure they put it back after it's cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonimos View Post
Hello fellow 'PJers',

Have not been particularly active on this board, although I visit and read from time to time.

I just completed a routine bulb change in my Benq W1110 (fw: 1.01).
I also did a thorough cleaning while at it (DLP engine+optical assembly).

Below are a few pictures of the inner workings of this great machine, for anyone interested.

Disassembled unit (after cleaning):

Optical assembly:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page