Looking for a lowlowlow budget Full HD throw - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlsoGrapes

post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Looking for a lowlowlow budget Full HD throw

Hi, I hope there's people here that are into the lower end stuff since I mostly see posts about the nicer end of the projector range. I got an okay Optoma but I don't feel like moving that on a daily basis so for the bedroom I figured I'd just get a very low budget low lumen projector to throw a film on the ceiling instead of having to faff about with a tablet or laptop that keeps falling over and kids and pets blocking the view. Now since it's just a "nice to have" kind of thing I don't really want to invest in it.

What I'm looking for:
Native Full HD under £200/$250 or alternatively 720p for half that or less.
I'm not too bothered by lousy internal speakers.
Low Lumen is fine by me.
Small form factor would be nice, same goes for short-throw, Bluetooth and an Android OS installed.
Chinese imports are fine by me but then the price must drop around 25% to cover customs.

I'm running into the issue that nearly everything on the budget end of the curve that is advertised as "Full HD" is actually a much lower native resolution. Been looking at local second hand offerings but most seem dodgy and I've had bad experiences before with second hand projectors that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoGrapes View Post
Hi, I hope there's people here that are into the lower end stuff since I mostly see posts about the nicer end of the projector range. I got an okay Optoma but I don't feel like moving that on a daily basis so for the bedroom I figured I'd just get a very low budget low lumen projector to throw a film on the ceiling instead of having to faff about with a tablet or laptop that keeps falling over and kids and pets blocking the view. Now since it's just a "nice to have" kind of thing I don't really want to invest in it.

What I'm looking for:
Low Lumen is fine by me.
Small form factor would be nice, same goes for short-throw, Bluetooth and an Android OS installed.
Chinese imports are fine by me but then the price must drop around 25% to cover customs.

I'm running into the issue that nearly everything on the budget end of the curve that is advertised as "Full HD" is actually a much lower native resolution. Been looking at local second hand offerings but most seem dodgy and I've had bad experiences before with second hand projectors that
You want to project on the ceiling?

I don't know if home cinema projectors are meant to be used vertically.

Depending on the distance from projector to screen there are options.

If you decide to project on a wall there are solid 1080p DLP options, like the Optoma HD141x or Benq W1070.

This is mostly a US based forum, you can check the classifieds here, but here is a UK forum for the classifieds: https://www.avforums.com/forums/
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, works fine with my current projector. It's just a light beam after all. I just don't want to carry it to the other room every night.

The HD141x is a nice throw but even the second hand options are around the $400 mark which is stupid since the HD144 is available new at around the same price mark. Same goes for the BenQ.

Thanks for your input though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the UK forum by the way!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Yep, works fine with my current projector. It's just a light beam after all. I just don't want to carry it to the other room every night.

The HD141x is a nice throw but even the second hand options are around the $400 mark which is stupid since the HD144 is available new at around the same price mark. Same goes for the BenQ.

Thanks for your input though.
Both those models have been found at around your budget.

There is an 144x right now in the classifieds for the UK forum.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

What I'm looking for:
Low Lumen is fine by me.

Take a look:

post #7 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Both those models have been found at around your budget.

There is an 144x right now in the classifieds for the UK forum.
I'm not technically located there anymore but it's a stone throw away from the mainland. In light of the next post though I may not have to fall back on 2nd hand after all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Take a look:
Perfect! That looks like it will fit the bill nicely. Don't know how I overlooked it.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2020, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

So I figured I'd do an after purchase update.

In the end while searching for the Vankyo V600 a few other projectors where suggested by Amazon and I ended up buying an even cheaper German re-brand of a generic Chinese budget projector. It's basically from the same factory as the Vankyo as far as I can tell because I can see a lot of similarities between the Vankyo and the one I got.

The projector suits its purpose (cheap extra throw for the bedroom) A bit of a shame that although these cheap throws aren't super bright you also can't tone the brightness down either which would have been nice. My experience so far is more or less comparable to the video review in the link to the Vankyo. However I did put mine at an angle and you can then simply adjust the keystone and still get everything in focus (I had to do this in order to project on the ceiling). Also mine did not give me any grief playing video files straight from a thumb drive so that's a plus as well. One thing that I don't have is an SD card slot and that's something that the Vankyo does seem to have.
One thing that bothered me a bit and I don't know if that's mentioned in the Vankyo review is that the minimum throw distance is around 2 meters. Any close and you just can't focus. Luckily I have enough room but I needed to rearrange things a bit for it all to work.

My version of the generic projector is the Topvision T26. Other names I have found on Aliexpress for what seems to be exactly the same projector are: ThundeaL T26, Real TV T26, ALSTON T26, Touyinger T26 and Everycom T26. On Amazon I see the same projector pop up under the names Hompow T26, CiBest T26 and Qucking T26. So basically you just need to search for T26 Projector and go for the cheapest offering you can find.

I paid around $170 for it and got it delivered the next day (yesterday).

I also spotted a few different branding varieties on the Vankyo V600 on Aliexpress also at a sub $250. Only time will tell if this is a better choice than a second hand Optoma or BenQ.
DunMunro likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 93
you could end up to something like this

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...tvs-again.html

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #10 of 10 Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3971 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
The Topvision T26 appears to be one of the new true native 1080p single panel TFT LCD models with single white LED light source so at least it's not one of the old phony "1080p compatible" models that actually had lower native resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
budget , buying advice , cheap , full hd , low light

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page