• 1 Post By ivanhoek
  • 1 Post By DunMunro

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4K Enhancement Requirements?

I just purchased a factory refurbished Epson 5040UB projector directly from Epson that has native 1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4K Enhancement. Since the signal is 1080p will I need to upgrade my HDMI cable and receiver so that it allows for 4k pass through or will the 1080p pass through that I have now work as intended? I am on a budget right now and do not want to spend any additional money if it will not make a difference.

Bonus question;

My 8 year old Panasonic AE8000 projector has two light blue vertical lines in it. It is always there, in front of menu and regardless of signal source or picture position. I cleaned the three ribbon cables that connect the optical block but it did not solve the problem. I am assuming expensive parts will need to be replaced but please let me know if you are familiar with this problem and have any other suggestions.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Well I upgraded to Epson's faux 4K last month and my AVR was a problem. While it allowed for 4K pass through it was only rated to 30Hz instead of the 60Hz the projector supports. This resulted in choppy 4K streaming on some content and a complete incompatibility when trying to play true 4K disks. For now I ended up upgrading my player now to bypass the AVR and send the video signal directly to the projector for streaming, enhancing standard blu-rays to 4K and 4K blu-rays. Since I had to run another HDMI cable, I purchased a cable to support today's 4K standards. (The new inexpensive true 4K Sony player had a HDMI sound out for the bypass.)

I plan on this being a temporary fix until I decide on a AVR since I miss the simplicity of just using the AVR for everything and ATMOS is tempting.
FSUDAL likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 4K Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUDAL View Post
I just purchased a factory refurbished Epson 5040UB projector directly from Epson that has native 1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4K Enhancement. Since the signal is 1080p will I need to upgrade my HDMI cable and receiver so that it allows for 4k pass through or will the 1080p pass through that I have now work as intended? I am on a budget right now and do not want to spend any additional money if it will not make a difference.

Bonus question;

My 8 year old Panasonic AE8000 projector has two light blue vertical lines in it. It is always there, in front of menu and regardless of signal source or picture position. I cleaned the three ribbon cables that connect the optical block but it did not solve the problem. I am assuming expensive parts will need to be replaced but please let me know if you are familiar with this problem and have any other suggestions.

Thank you.
The Epson CAN accept a 4k signal, but isn't restricted to a 4k signal. You can replace your 1080p projector with the Epson and continue to use it as you had been using your previous projector. The Epson will apply 4k enhancement to that 1080p signal and make it look better. However, to get a true 4k signal from source to display you will need to invest in an AVR that has HDCDP 2.2. You don't have to do that right now if you don't want. The projector is perfectly capable of rendering 1080p signals.
FSUDAL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUDAL View Post

You can use an HDMI switch to bypass the receiver and feed 4K directly to the projector and the switch can extract the audio and send it to the receiver/amp. I use this switch:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/ which is a bit more expensive as it's a 4 in x 2 out. The 4x1 version is cheaper.
FSUDAL likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post
The Epson CAN accept a 4k signal, but isn't restricted to a 4k signal. You can replace your 1080p projector with the Epson and continue to use it as you had been using your previous projector. The Epson will apply 4k enhancement to that 1080p signal and make it look better. However, to get a true 4k signal from source to display you will need to invest in an AVR that has HDCDP 2.2. You don't have to do that right now if you don't want. The projector is perfectly capable of rendering 1080p signals.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page