need advice to replace Viewsonic Pro8200 projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need advice to replace Viewsonic Pro8200 projector

Hello everyone, another lurker here. I currently have a budget projector Viewsonic Pro8200 in my small movie room. It is ceiling mounted at 9' away from a 70" wide screen and it has been a great source of entertainment. Dark room 10 X 13'.
We are in the process of building a new house and won't have dedicated movie room space. I want to still have a projector and screen for movies, however it will be in an open concept kitchen, drm, and living room. The ceiling in the living room will be 11' coming from a full house 9' high ceiling which will leave a 2' bulk head around a 15'w x 19'l living space. I want to mount a projector in the bulk head with an electric screen opposite (15' width) coming down from opposite bulkhead. All in wall/ceiling speakers.
I don't think the Viewsonic Pro8200 projector will be able to handle the distance and the ambient light from the living space. I don't want to break the bank and am looking for a projector that would be up to the task. The wall with the screen will be 12' wide, but I will have a gas fireplace in the first 6' and the remaining will house in wall left, centre and right front speakers. Hoping to be able to use a 96"w screen centred on the wall and only for movies or occasional sports.
I am overwhelmed with the choices out there and the wide array of price points. I don't want to spend more than $1500 and am open to refurbs. I just don't know how to make my decision. Thank you for any insight available. I do appreciate this forum and the members expertise. cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Personally at that screen size I would just buy a TV. But if your set on a projector the Epson 3000 series are most likely a good choice. 3700 if you want to stick to 1080p at about half your budget. The new 3800 for faux 4K at the top of your budget. Not sure about your mounting location as the 3000 series can only be mounted 10% of screen height above the screen. With 11' ceilings you nay need the more extensive lens shift of the Epson 4010 as it can be 47% of screen height above the screen. I recommend a TV because as you know from your current projector that large open well lit spaces are not ideal for a projector.

EDIT: Another choice is a UST projector with an ALR screen as it will be much better suited for your environment but most likely above your budget.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 02-14-2020 at 10:58 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalLucy View Post
Hello everyone, another lurker here. I currently have a budget projector Viewsonic Pro8200 in my small movie room. It is ceiling mounted at 9' away from a 70" wide screen and it has been a great source of entertainment. Dark room 10 X 13'.
We are in the process of building a new house and won't have dedicated movie room space. I want to still have a projector and screen for movies, however it will be in an open concept kitchen, drm, and living room. The ceiling in the living room will be 11' coming from a full house 9' high ceiling which will leave a 2' bulk head around a 15'w x 19'l living space. I want to mount a projector in the bulk head with an electric screen opposite (15' width) coming down from opposite bulkhead. All in wall/ceiling speakers.
I don't think the Viewsonic Pro8200 projector will be able to handle the distance and the ambient light from the living space. I don't want to break the bank and am looking for a projector that would be up to the task. The wall with the screen will be 12' wide, but I will have a gas fireplace in the first 6' and the remaining will house in wall left, centre and right front speakers. Hoping to be able to use a 96"w screen centred on the wall and only for movies or occasional sports.
I am overwhelmed with the choices out there and the wide array of price points. I don't want to spend more than $1500 and am open to refurbs. I just don't know how to make my decision. Thank you for any insight available. I do appreciate this forum and the members expertise. cheers
The room setup is not very clear. A schematic or pictures would be better. Especially of the bulkhead.

Projectors don't mix well with ambient light. More information in regards to the source of ambient light and intensity would be required.

What is the seating distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
In addition to everything said, projectors need cooling air supplied. Tucked inside a bulkhead could be a problem.

If it were me and you have a projector now that you know and like I would start off kind of along the lines mentioned above for a UST only start with the projector you have mounted low and right side up. Maybe in a coffee table lower area etc. If nothing else it will tell you how well FP is going to work with your new ambient lit room. Many people use table mounted setups in media room theaters.

Bud
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the suggestions. The room is 15' wide and open on 3 sides. Seating could be at 10' or adjustable by moving the loveseat. I may just do as you suggest, as an 11' ceiling surrounded by 9' ceiling will be a challenge. I was hoping to use the 2' of drop to put the projector in on one side and the screen on the other. It could shorten the throw to 13'. My partner would love to stick with a TV but a 70" x 60"h image is hard to give up. I'll ask my builder to run an HDMI cable to that spot in the ceiling until I can figure out the best option. Maybe the projector just gets stored in the cabinet and comes out on movie nights. I'll keep thinking on this, I do have to tell the builder and electricians what my plan will be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-14 10_1581706062701.47.12.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2684850  

Last edited by OriginalLucy; 02-14-2020 at 12:06 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really appreciate the suggestions. The room is 15' wide and open on 3 sides. Seating could be at 10' or adjustable by moving the loveseat. I may just do as you suggest, as an 11' ceiling surrounded by 9' ceiling will be a challenge. I was hoping to use the 2' of drop to put the projector in on one side and the screen on the other. It could shorten the throw to 13'. My partner would love to stick with a TV but a 70" x 60"h image is hard to give up. I'll ask my builder to run an HDMI cable to that spot in the ceiling until I can figure out the best option. Maybe the projector just gets stored in the cabinet and comes out on movie nights. I'll keep thinking on this, I do have to tell the builder and electricians what my plan will be.
That schematic is not very helpful.

What is 70" x 60" h?

You still haven't given info about what the source and intensity of ambient light. Any ambient light from a window?

In regards to the bulkhead where the projector would be placed, what is the width and length?

It's still not clear where the gas fireplace is, and if it will be turned on.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

The 70"wide x 60" height is the current size of the image we can currently achieve with our projector. The 2' drop to 9' ceiling runs the length of 19' and back to outside wall, so lot's of space to tuck in and ventilate and mount on a slider for access. In the schematic the seating and viewing is oriented left to right. The fireplace will never be on when movie watching. All media will be installed to the right of the fireplace. Watching will mainly be at night with low level peripheral light as windows are to the left and behind of viewing area. A TV will handle all other viewing. Hopefully this gives a better idea of our situation. Thanks for your patience, it's hard to describe a layout that doesn't exist yet.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
I would try to have the HDMI cable run externally and hidden by something removable. If you run it internally and it doesn't work then there will be issues replacing it.
Edit: It seems like your ceiling design may make the cable easily accessible.

A 16x9 image that is 60in high would have a width of 106in and be 122in diagonally. 16x9 is currently the most popular format.

You can use this calculator to get an idea of screen size versus distance for various projectors:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm
(note: The sample UHD50 lens shift is actually up to 8in down when ceiling mounted, not 8in up or down as stated)
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A screen size should not be chosen until the projector has been used for a few weeks on the wall.

A very general ratio is 10-12" in diagonal for every foot in distance. For 10' that would be 100 to 120". But it's a general recommendation.

If the screen wall is 12'/144" the biggest screen that could be installed is 165.2" diagonal in 16:9 format. http://screen-size.info/

For 2.35:1 type movies a larger image is preferable.

The other issue is dealing with ambient light. The most important aspect is light must not hit the screen directly. So use recessed lights if necessary.

Color wall can affect how much reflections there, either with ambient light or off.
Example with lights off: https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/
Even with a projector with low contrast/black level will be affected.

As for a choice of projectors it depends how large the screen is, the amount of time with ambient light, the mounting position.

Still don't understand the how the bulkhead/ceiling height is configured. What part of the ceiling is 9' and which part 11'? Where is it?

What is the source? Streaming/disc, 1080p/4K?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all that information, I really appreciate it and will make use of it. As for the ceilings, the entire house has 9' ceilings. The step up to the 11' ceiling, which is the 15 x 19 great room where all the home entertainment will be. The step up, creates a 2' high bulkhead coming up from the 9' ceiling to the 11 ft ceiling. The area is open concept on 2 sides. I will check out the projectors mentioned above and I think I can make it work. I will post a picture of the space once we have walls. Thank you everyone
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 310
You should really stick with a good tv, only bigger. 82 inch lg 4k at costco priced in the same ballpark as some of the projectors mentioned here.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
Eulenvusion 130 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page