Old Infocus in82 vs Optoma UHD60 HELP! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Old Infocus in82 vs Optoma UHD60 HELP!

Hello Members,
Im kinda in a dilemma.
I currently have an older Infocus in82 in a completely dark home theater room and I absolutely LOVE it. Sharpest and cleanest image I've seen to date including owning models from Panasonic, digital projection etc.
Like most of us I caught the "upgrade" bug and came across a fairly priced deal for the Optoma UHD60 for $750.00 with 786 hours on it.
I'm caught! Do I miss this deal and stick with beloved infocus, or make the leap into 4K with the optoma.

My Biggest concern is that I the level of detail and image quality will not justify the $750.00 dollars. Any comments will be much appreciated!

125" 1.2 gain white screen
Complete dark light controlled room
Panasonic ub-420 4k player (streaming for now)
Panasonic dmp-bdt300 (Oldie, but Fantastic!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2020, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I briefly owned a UHD60. Despite the bright and sharp picture, I gave it up because of some color processing bugs that I was able to mitigate but not fully resolve. (Banding and some weird purple artifacts)

Beside the bugs, you can’t even update the firmware on these yourself. A firmware upgrade requires packing the projector and shipping it to Optoma, which is crazy... I might’ve hung on to hope that a firmware could be released to fix the bugs, but it’s been out a while and I wouldn’t want to ship it out for a fix, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by orunmila4 View Post
Hello Members,
Im kinda in a dilemma.
I currently have an older Infocus in82 in a completely dark home theater room and I absolutely LOVE it. Sharpest and cleanest image I've seen to date including owning models from Panasonic, digital projection etc.
Like most of us I caught the "upgrade" bug and came across a fairly priced deal for the Optoma UHD60 for $750.00 with 786 hours on it.
I'm caught! Do I miss this deal and stick with beloved infocus, or make the leap into 4K with the optoma.

My Biggest concern is that I the level of detail and image quality will not justify the $750.00 dollars. Any comments will be much appreciated!

125" 1.2 gain white screen
Complete dark light controlled room
Panasonic ub-420 4k player (streaming for now)
Panasonic dmp-bdt300 (Oldie, but Fantastic!)
The sharpness of a projector is not generally considered the first priority of a projector, contrast and black level are.

What color are the walls?

Seating distance?

Source?

Are you located in North America?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The sharpness of a projector is not generally considered the first priority of a projector, contrast and black level are.

What color are the walls?

Seating distance?

Source?

Are you located in North America?
Yes i know!
Im a sharpness fanatic! My 1-2 on the priority list is sharpness, ( clarity, absence of video/digital/mosquito noise, image uniformity) and then color reproduction.

Walls are Dark purple.
Seating distance is 10 ft from screen to front row.
Sources are Roku (4k capable) and panasonic ub420.

Yes from the states. Bucks nation!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post
I briefly owned a UHD60. Despite the bright and sharp picture, I gave it up because of some color processing bugs that I was able to mitigate but not fully resolve. (Banding and some weird purple artifacts)

Beside the bugs, you can’t even update the firmware on these yourself. A firmware upgrade requires packing the projector and shipping it to Optoma, which is crazy... I might’ve hung on to hope that a firmware could be released to fix the bugs, but it’s been out a while and I wouldn’t want to ship it out for a fix, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hello Ivan,
Wow. Interesting. During your time with it was the picture that much more dynamic than a quality 1080p image? The unit I'm looking at is owned by a tech. He claims that everything is updated and he has no problems with the projector. Now I'm having second thoughts! Thanks
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Hello Ivan,

Wow. Interesting. During your time with it was the picture that much more dynamic than a quality 1080p image? The unit I'm looking at is owned by a tech. He claims that everything is updated and he has no problems with the projector. Now I'm having second thoughts! Thanks

Yes, the picture with good 4K content - when you’re not hitting one of the bugs I mentioned - is awesome.

HDR looks a little dull though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes i know!
Im a sharpness fanatic! My 1-2 on the priority list is sharpness, ( clarity, absence of video/digital/mosquito noise, image uniformity) and then color reproduction.

Walls are Dark purple.
Seating distance is 10 ft from screen to front row.
Sources are Roku (4k capable) and panasonic ub420.

Yes from the states. Bucks nation!
For that price if sharpness is the priority there is no contest. Next up would be native 4K which are much more expensive.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For that price if sharpness is the priority there is no contest. Next up would be native 4K which are much more expensive.
Fantastic.
Yes, the Sony units are nice but cost a significantly amount more. Interestingly enough, I did get a chance to view the Vivitek 2299 and the Sony vpl-vw295es side by side and the Vivitek held up pretty well. Blacks and brightness were Sony's strong suit but the overall image quality was just about even. Then again maybe im just biased towards the DLP look! Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fantastic.
Yes, the Sony units are nice but cost a significantly amount more. Interestingly enough, I did get a chance to view the Vivitek 2299 and the Sony vpl-vw295es side by side and the Vivitek held up pretty well. Blacks and brightness were Sony's strong suit but the overall image quality was just about even. Then again maybe im just biased towards the DLP look! Thanks!
Contrast does increase sharpness perception.

In that room a used JVC could work, but not sure of what exact model. Some of them are sharp.
Ask @coderguy .
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Contrast does increase sharpness perception.

In that room a used JVC could work, but not sure of what exact model. Some of them are sharp.
Ask @coderguy .
Okay thank you good to know! Its interesting I was contemplating buying a rs500 but decided to keep the infocus instead. I am curious to see those black levels in my HT setting. As you stated, coder and Zombie would probably know best.

Thanks noob I greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page