VAVA 4K Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #61 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBeeps View Post
If you ceiling mount and pair with a UST screen you will lose all the benefits of having a UST screen with regards to light rejection.
***I was wondering about that. I don't think these projectors are designed to be mounted. Aren't all the angles different? And - - I take it that you would have to mount it like a foot from the screen or less? With a normal setup - - you can move the unit back and forth and dial in your settings. I don't think it would work with really high ceilings, either. Square peg, round hole.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X6700H & Emotiva XPA-3, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides). Stereo 2 Channel Only - Dali Evidence 470 & MartinLogan Forte Amplifier/Streamer with ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 9557 Post(s)
Liked: 16993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***I was wondering about that. I don't think these projectors are designed to be mounted. Aren't all the angles different? And - - I take it that you would have to mount it like a foot from the screen or less? With a normal setup - - you can move the unit back and forth and dial in your settings. I don't think it would work with really high ceilings, either. Square peg, round hole.
I suppose, because it would be so close to the wall, that it can actually be wall mounted above the screen... It doesn't really have to be's ceiling mounted. Yes, it will be quite close to the wall and they only see somebody doing something like that to solve a very particular problem, like maybe an installation on a yacht? It is equipped with everything it takes to hang upside down, it accepts a standard bracket and the menu offers the option to flip the image.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #63 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
It's common for UST projectors to be wall mounted inverted above the top of the screen. For many years Epson has had a series of UST classroom projectors that come with adjustable wall mounts as illustrated below:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It's common for UST projectors to be wall mounted inverted above the top of the screen. For many years Epson has had a series of UST classroom projectors that come with adjustable wall mounts as illustrated below:

Yep, something like that would work perfectly...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #65 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBeeps View Post
If you ceiling mount and pair with a UST screen you will lose all the benefits of having a UST screen with regards to light rejection.
Not if you invert the UST ALR screen when you invert the UST projector.
imagic likes this.
post #66 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I suppose, because it would be so close to the wall, that it can actually be wall mounted above the screen... It doesn't really have to be's ceiling mounted. Yes, it will be quite close to the wall and they only see somebody doing something like that to solve a very particular problem, like maybe an installation on a yacht? It is equipped with everything it takes to hang upside down, it accepts a standard bracket and the menu offers the option to flip the image.
***So glad to see that my yacht is covered with this UST. What about my Ferrari?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X6700H & Emotiva XPA-3, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides). Stereo 2 Channel Only - Dali Evidence 470 & MartinLogan Forte Amplifier/Streamer with ARC.
post #67 of 160 Old 03-06-2020, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***So glad to see that my yacht is covered with this UST. What about my Ferrari?
Maybe for unlimited funds they will upgrade the dashboard to an OLED like what's in a 2021 Cadillac Escalade?

It looks like with the right bracket, the wall mount option should be pretty easy, actually.
Ricoflashback likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #68 of 160 Old 03-08-2020, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Angry

Quote:
Not if you invert the UST ALR screen when you invert the UST projector.
No, actually, this has been covered quite a bit by those of us who have been dabbling with UST+PET screens for a while. You will lose the ALR benefit because the screens are meant to reject light from everywhere except the bottom. If you hang it upside down (and trust me, I have tried it), two things happen:

1. Your screen goes way below, I am talking 2 or 3 inches above ground which means that the wall has to be completely devoid of all furniture, and you kick your WAF to the curb
2. The ambient light from the ceiling will go right into the screen and mix with the PJ output resulting in a washed-out look. It's not terrible, but it's not as good as when the screen is right-side up

In summary, unfortunately, you do lose the benefits of ALR if you hang the screen upside down AND have ceiling lights that you leave on (I do).
dreamstate and aerodynamics like this.
post #69 of 160 Old 03-08-2020, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@monakh , I was specifically responding to the claim that a UST ALR screen loses all of its ALR benefits if the UST projector is mounted high instead of low. Inverting the screen doesn't lose all of the ALR benefits. It retains the ALR benefit of rejecting ambient light from the sides. It loses the ALR benefit of rejecting ambient light from a light-colored ceiling but gains the ALR benefit of rejecting ambient light from light-colored flooring. Of course in most cases that will result in some net ALR loss but certainly not all.

As far as how low an inverted UST ALR screen needs to be mounted to work with a high-mounted inverted UST projector, that's strictly related to screen size, how high above the screen the projector needs to be mounted and how high the ceiling is. It's only with low ceilings and larger screen sizes that the screen may end up too low. It may not work in those cases but will be OK for those with higher ceilings capable of accommodating larger screens. As always, it's important to do all the math before buying a projector/screen combination that may not be optimized for a given environment.
post #70 of 160 Old 03-08-2020, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
No, actually, this has been covered quite a bit by those of us who have been dabbling with UST+PET screens for a while. You will lose the ALR benefit because the screens are meant to reject light from everywhere except the bottom. If you hang it upside down (and trust me, I have tried it), two things happen:

1. Your screen goes way below, I am talking 2 or 3 inches above ground which means that the wall has to be completely devoid of all furniture, and you kick your WAF to the curb
2. The ambient light from the ceiling will go right into the screen and mix with the PJ output resulting in a washed-out look. It's not terrible, but it's not as good as when the screen is right-side up

In summary, unfortunately, you do lose the benefits of ALR if you hang the screen upside down AND have ceiling lights that you leave on (I do).
Sure, but you can turn out the lights when you want to watch a movie. You don't lose all of the ALR effect, just some of it. Ceiling height is a determining factor on whether you can make this work, no doubt: You need a 10-foot ceiling minimum to make it work without the screen being too close to the floor, which would negate any advantage for center channel placement.

Or maybe folks need to just accept this projector for what it is, which is not home theater projector. Not a projector for people who spend more on their AVR system than on their display and consider center channel placement a priority. That's really not a problem because the vast majority of people were even looking at something like this do not fit into those categories, which happened to be overrepresented on this site.

Having said all that, I watched Jumanji the next level last night, on the Ambient Visionaire screen with the lights out, and I just could not help but think "wow, this really looks great" on scene after scene. I tried, mentally, to notice judder and be annoyed by it, but even that did not happen. Even with a deliberate effort to pay attention to PQ "issues" most of the time I just fell back into the movie.

I still think the solution for anyone who wants to use a center channel is to set up the system so that the speaker goes in front of the projector. There would be consistent with good speaker placement anyhow (putting a couple feet between the speaker and the wall)
DaveCarrera4 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-08-2020 at 08:08 AM.
post #71 of 160 Old 03-08-2020, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
@monakh , I was specifically responding to the claim that a UST ALR screen loses all of its ALR benefits if the UST projector is mounted high instead of low. Inverting the screen doesn't lose all of the ALR benefits. It retains the ALR benefit of rejecting ambient light from the sides. It loses the ALR benefit of rejecting ambient light from a light-colored ceiling but gains the ALR benefit of rejecting ambient light from light-colored flooring. Of course in most cases that will result in some net ALR loss but certainly not all.

As far as how low an inverted UST ALR screen needs to be mounted to work with a high-mounted inverted UST projector, that's strictly related to screen size, how high above the screen the projector needs to be mounted and how high the ceiling is. It's only with low ceilings and larger screen sizes that the screen may end up too low. It may not work in those cases but will be OK for those with higher ceilings capable of accommodating larger screens. As always, it's important to do all the math before buying a projector/screen combination that may not be optimized for a given environment.
Yeah, fine, but if you spend $1000+ on a 120" ALR screen, it's really a shame to use just some of the benefits. Point taken though.

Most affordable ALR screens are between $700 and $1300 depending on the size. Beyond 120 inches, you are looking at astronomical pricing for PET fabric. Either way, they are only a few inches above the ground (100 or 120 inches). You do need a bare wall, pretty much. If that's OK with most people, well, great, it's never been OK with my SO
post #72 of 160 Old 03-08-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
... Either way, they are only a few inches above the ground (100 or 120 inches). ...
I understand that this is the case for people like you with low ceilings that result in a high-mounted UST projector pushing the screen down close to the floor. My point is that this is not true for all environments so it's not an absolute. Those with higher ceilings can accommodate larger screens that don't have to be mounted too close to the floor. Again, everyone needs to do the math for their specific environments and not be discouraged by the fact that a specific setup doesn't work for others with different environments.
post #73 of 160 Old 03-09-2020, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
I stopped posting pictures of motion sights, which are useful in... motion. Vava converts everything into 60hz and suffers from judder in 24p.
***Judder, stutter, mutter. Êtes-vous de la France? Just watch the VAVA 4K with a bottle or two of a fine French Pinot Noir. Believe me — you won’t even notice any judder.

Home Theater Setup
post #74 of 160 Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Got mine a few days ago. Fairly happy with it, but chose a screen before reading into this more. The VAVA projector is okay, but the screen I chose is flat white motorized 100" unit from eBay. Wish I would have spent time researching this more. The screen came slightly damaged - the bottom of screen metal tube has a slight kink. Therefore, the screen has some waviness at both bottom corners. Would this screen have worked with a standard projector? Most likely. But with an UST it is a disaster. So, now I'm researching screens to figure out a good price point on a fixed frame screen. Looking for anti reflective properties so the VAVA can be used during the day without shutting drapes. Regarding the VAVA, I'm mildly impressed. Great right out of the box, but looking into adjustments; there just aren't that many. This unit is designed for a novice owner. Someone who goes to best buy and walks out with the largest flat screen they found in stock or open box. Don't get me wrong, the UST technology is amazing. I'm still in awe that a beam of laser light coming out of the projector merely inches away from the screen and below it by 12" can throw the full size image with no noticeable loss in brightness or focus top corner to bottom center.

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #75 of 160 Old 04-05-2020, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Just in case any of you in interested, I've just published an experimental twrp for this device on my xda thread (2nd post) so that you could root it with magisk. Please report back whether it works or not.
post #76 of 160 Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post
Got mine a few days ago. Fairly happy with it, but chose a screen before reading into this more. The VAVA projector is okay, but the screen I chose is flat white motorized 100" unit from eBay. Wish I would have spent time researching this more. The screen came slightly damaged - the bottom of screen metal tube has a slight kink. Therefore, the screen has some waviness at both bottom corners. Would this screen have worked with a standard projector? Most likely. But with an UST it is a disaster. So, now I'm researching screens to figure out a good price point on a fixed frame screen. Looking for anti reflective properties so the VAVA can be used during the day without shutting drapes. Regarding the VAVA, I'm mildly impressed. Great right out of the box, but looking into adjustments; there just aren't that many. This unit is designed for a novice owner. Someone who goes to best buy and walks out with the largest flat screen they found in stock or open box. Don't get me wrong, the UST technology is amazing. I'm still in awe that a beam of laser light coming out of the projector merely inches away from the screen and below it by 12" can throw the full size image with no noticeable loss in brightness or focus top corner to bottom center.
Bought one of these vava projectors to right now just beaming it on plain wall but did end up ordering the
Elite Screens Aeon CLR Series, 120-inch 16:9, Edge Free Ambient Light Rejecting Fixed Frame Projector Screen, Ceiling Light Rejecting Projection Material for Ultra-Short Throw Projectors, AR120H-CLR according to alot reviews this is a great screen for this
post #77 of 160 Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocky12 View Post
Hi,

Just in case any of you in interested, I've just published an experimental twrp for this device on my xda thread (2nd post) so that you could root it with magisk. Please report back whether it works or not.
Sadly, after some days of trying, many of the uploaded apps are not working (HBO Now, Amazon Video, Netflix, etc.). However, I'd be leary rooting a brand new pj and installing these files. Sorry.

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #78 of 160 Old 04-10-2020, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald winstead View Post
Bought one of these vava projectors to right now just beaming it on plain wall but did end up ordering the
Elite Screens Aeon CLR Series, 120-inch 16:9, Edge Free Ambient Light Rejecting Fixed Frame Projector Screen, Ceiling Light Rejecting Projection Material for Ultra-Short Throw Projectors, AR120H-CLR according to alot reviews this is a great screen for this
This was helpful. I am wanting to buy one of these Vava Projectors and an Elite AR100H-CLR now, but am having trouble getting them to Puerto Rico in a reasonable time

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions / sources which can get to the island asap.
donald winstead likes this.

Last edited by davedelite; 04-10-2020 at 07:29 AM.
post #79 of 160 Old 04-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedelite View Post
This was helpful. I am wanting to buy one of these Vava Projectors and an Elite AR100H-CLR now, but am having trouble getting them to Puerto Rico in a reasonable time

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions / sources which can get to the island asap.
Might try direct from the the company website here a link to it

https://shop.elitescreens.com/store/...LR_Series.html

this might help
post #80 of 160 Old 04-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Liked: 11
Question regarding the audio on the Vava. I understand that a "line in" source cannot be used to drive the HK soundbar on the Vava as a center channel. Fine. No intention to do so. What about setting up some surround speakers with the Vava and connecting those with the HK soundbar embedded in the PJ. Possible? If so, any requirements with regard to auxiliary speakers that can be used as surround or subwoofer with the Vava? Or are we limited to just what the PJs soundbar offers by itself?
post #81 of 160 Old 04-17-2020, 02:35 PM

Liked: 1
VAVA 3d With The New Firmware Update

So, I installed the latest firmware update, on 4/17/20. The 3d functionality appears to be there. I loaded a 3d blu ray and was able to get the screen to a top/bottom format. I tried my active shutter dlp glasses, but they don't seem to work. These are the glasses I use with my Optoma project. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 3d yet and if they were successful in using it? Also, if there's any information about the type of glasses to use, please.

Thanks for any info!
John
GregK likes this.
post #82 of 160 Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Omg they added 50hz support with latest firmware 1.64. Does this mean 24Hz content will not have judder? I just upgraded and I see toggle in the menu which requires reboot.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield

Last edited by klas; 04-17-2020 at 09:24 PM.
post #83 of 160 Old 04-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Molino View Post
So, I installed the latest firmware update, on 4/17/20. The 3d functionality appears to be there. I loaded a 3d blu ray and was able to get the screen to a top/bottom format. I tried my active shutter dlp glasses, but they don't seem to work. These are the glasses I use with my Optoma project. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 3d yet and if they were successful in using it? Also, if there's any information about the type of glasses to use, please.

Thanks for any info!
John
Love to know how 3D works....... and what is needed

Rcncgolf
post #84 of 160 Old 04-23-2020, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Thanks for any info!
John
Just double checking - your Optoma 3-D glasses are the DLP link type?

You might already know this but just in case: Optoma has made both RF and DLP Link types of 3D shutter glasses but the Vava would need DLP Link.
rsharma314 likes this.
post #85 of 160 Old 04-24-2020, 04:26 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
Just double checking - your Optoma 3-D glasses are the DLP link type?

You might already know this but just in case: Optoma has made both RF and DLP Link types of 3D shutter glasses but the Vava would need DLP Link.
@GregK

Yes, I was trying my Optoma ZD302 DLP glasses. I've been playing around with the VAVA all week. I've tried every setting type on my Sony 4k player for 3d, but nothing works. Also, I can hear the VAVA shifting from 2d to 3d, but only a SBS (two halves) display. And the colors are awful - almost green screen like. I wish VAVA would have supply some firmware notes.
post #86 of 160 Old 04-24-2020, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
@GregK

Yes, I was trying my Optoma ZD302 DLP glasses. I've been playing around with the VAVA all week. I've tried every setting type on my Sony 4k player for 3d, but nothing works. Also, I can hear the VAVA shifting from 2d to 3d, but only a SBS (two halves) display. And the colors are awful - almost green screen like. I wish VAVA would have supply some firmware notes.
If you're trying SBS to TnB 3-D conternt vs framepacked 3-D bluray, make sure it's feeding into the projector at 60hz (aka: 59.94) and not at 24fps. At least with Optoma 3-D projectors models for the last couple of years SBS or TnB won't work at 23.976 /24 fps. I have to force my SBS media playback device (computer, bluray player, etc) into 60hz and then it works with that type of content every time. .Maybe double check that?
post #87 of 160 Old 04-25-2020, 12:59 AM

I'm considering getting rid of my current setup and buying a vava or fengmi. My main concern is it's placement will be a very bright living room. Ideally straight onto a white wall so I can alter screen size depending on use.

Will my kids still be able to watch YouTube during the day with curtains open or will it be a complete no go. I can control the lighting but obviously like getting daylight into the room.

It's south facing. Currently with darker content, the tv is almost unwatchable unless brightness is turned way up. Cartoons and daytime footage is fine.

I think if I can still get away with the latter being viewable during daylight then its a no brainier buying one of these.

Will be replacing speakers and was going to bury the UST into a well vented new unit.

It doesn't have to be UST but didn't think I would have the same flexibility changing screen size with a regular short throw which I could place next to my sofa, again hidden in a unit.

Advice please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15878012275447193735773680937464_1587801291536.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2716080  
post #88 of 160 Old 04-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm considering getting rid of my current setup and buying a vava or fengmi. My main concern is it's placement will be a very bright living room. Ideally straight onto a white wall so I can alter screen size depending on use.

Will my kids still be able to watch YouTube during the day with curtains open or will it be a complete no go. I can control the lighting but obviously like getting daylight into the room.

It's south facing. Currently with darker content, the tv is almost unwatchable unless brightness is turned way up. Cartoons and daytime footage is fine.

I think if I can still get away with the latter being viewable during daylight then its a no brainier buying one of these.

Will be replacing speakers and was going to bury the UST into a well vented new unit.

It doesn't have to be UST but didn't think I would have the same flexibility changing screen size with a regular short throw which I could place next to my sofa, again hidden in a unit.

Advice please
If you can put an ALR screen up there then it is pretty viewable in daylight, better than a TV in many ways as it doesn't catch the light. But if you can't put in an ALR screen then it's gonna be worse than a TV - probably much worse.

Also - I don't think it's trivial to just adjust the size of the screen on these - I had a Wemax unit and you can't just ask it to reduce it's screen size output.
post #89 of 160 Old 04-25-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 813
There's very lengthy review just posted here:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/VAV...tor-Review.htm

it's certainly worth reading.
GregK likes this.
post #90 of 160 Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 PM

That's a great review. Would love to see a video of it in real use. May look further into alr paint. If there is a decent one in white then it sounds like it could replace our tv and forgo a dedicated screen.

Hopefully it's as simple as moving it closer/further from wall depending on mood.

Surprised there isn't more of a fuss of these projectors. Makes me suspicious. I'm also tempted by the fengmi 4k as it sounds like it and the vava are made using the same parts.

It's also about half price but will then run the grief with returning a faulty unit if I luck out.

Decisions decisions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
laser projector , ust projector , vava

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page