Optoma Announces Three New Projectors: GT1090HDR, HZ39HDR & HD28HDR - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9387 Post(s)
Liked: 16637
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What exactly is this?

How is the HD28R different from HD27HDR?
Sorry, it's HD28HDR.

This is not a review, it's a post about a press release so I did not go through the specs looking for differences. It is how the projector is marketed by Optoma, so I am conveying that in words...

Optoma's words: "Designed from the ground up for all gaming..."
noob00224 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A pity that they do not incorporate PureMotion Pixelworks Motion Engines just like the HD50 that is bestial in 3D and FI.

Optoma give me an HD50 laser
post #33 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
What exactly is this?
Might be some sort of change to the gamma setting when this mode is selected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
The HD28HDR replaces the HD27HDR. Game Display Mode simply bumps the gamma so you can see dark scenes better.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
HD28R for Gamers

It even has a Game Display Mode that lifts the shadows that you can see enemies lurking in the dark.
What exactly is this?

How is the HD28R different from HD27HDR?
noob00224 likes this.
post #35 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
The HD28HDR replaces the HD27HDR. Game Display Mode simply bumps the gamma so you can see dark scenes better.
Do any of these projectors have more than one Display Mode that lets you set the gamma to "HDR". I don't understand why this functionality is limited to a single Display Mode on the current lineup
post #36 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Not sure what you're asking here - the projectors have a couple different display modes, Game is only one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjeys View Post
Quote:
Do any of these projectors have more than one Display Mode that lets you set the gamma to "HDR". I don't understand why this functionality is limited to a single Display Mode on the current lineup
post #37 of 74 Old 03-06-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you're asking here - the projectors have a couple different display modes, Game is only one of them.

the whole existing lineup only has a single display mode called HDR where you can set the gamma to 'HDR'. Cinema, Film, Vivid Game, etc. modes are all useless for HDR content. It is very frustrating only having a single mode.

Last edited by senjeys; 03-06-2020 at 02:44 PM.
post #38 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Talking

Quote:
the whole existing lineup only has a single display mode called HDR where you can set the gamma to 'HDR'. Cinema, Film, Vivid Game, etc. modes are all useless for HDR content. It is very frustrating only having a single mode.
This is exactly what my P1 does. There are only two modes for HDR, HDR and User. There are also some other options for ISF modes in the side menu but they can not be selected so I'm assuming you have to go into some "special" menu to set those up. With a non HDR signal, all the other options show up but HDR and User. I have a feeling the lack of PureMotion is due to this being a gaming projector and PureMotion adds lag. It may also increase price but I could be wrong.

This is why the P1 ended up being a bad choice for non casual gamer's. The input lag was just to high, you had to disable pure motion, and it had to be in game mode. Even then it was 100ms plus lag and you couldn't even choose game mode with an HDR signal unless you turned it HDR off on your console or in the game settings if it's even an option for that particular game. Personally,

I'm surprised they didn't come out with a 1080p HDR UST version specifically for gaming. If the price was right, it would of sold a ton on units. HDR really makes way more of a difference then 4K. Yes, some sharpness is lost in detailed scenes but HDR is more important that pixel count at this point, at least IMO.
post #39 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Optoma Announces Three New Projectors: GT1090HDR, HZ39HDR & HD28HDR

Pretty much sums up why I made my comment, #22 . It is only a matter of time before the new chipset is combined with a UST for gamers. I’m really hoping it happens before Christmas 2020, since that is when the new PS5 and xBox Series X will be hitting shelves. I am holding off on a projector until one can “hang with” one of the newer units. And if all manufacturers fail to deliver, then I’ll be forced to get a flat screen.

Again, a UHD50X crossed with a P1 UST would be an instant purchase for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #40 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
I'm surprised they didn't come out with a 1080p HDR UST version specifically for gaming. If the price was right, it would of sold a ton on units. HDR really makes way more of a difference then 4K. Yes, some sharpness is lost in detailed scenes but HDR is more important that pixel count at this point, at least IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
Pretty much sums up why I made my comment, #22 . It is only a matter of time before the new chipset is combined with a UST for gamers.

That makes three of us. I asked earlier in this thread if a UST version of the 1090HDR was in the works. Historically the GT5xxx series gets an update every two years and the GT5600 was released in 2018. So maybe sometime this year we will get a GT5600+ or GT5700?

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #41 of 74 Old 03-09-2020, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Really tempted by the HZ39HDR. At my screen size and seating distance 1080p is still great and the ability to go up to 120hz would be awesome.

Regarding the note about 1080p 120hz coming in a later firmware update, does Optoma have a good track record of delivering on these promises?

I'm also curious about how the claimed 75% uniformity plays out in reality.
  • The HD39HDR claimed 80% but delivered 56% in Projector Central's test.
  • The HD27HDR claimed 80% but delivered 64% in Projector Central's test.
This already shows some inconsistency between the relative performance to their datasheet claims. And I'm assuming the laser in the HZ39HDR will perform differently than the other two as well.

I use my projector not only for gaming but also doing stuff on the PC and have been spoiled by the 80%+ uniformity of the Epson HC2100.

Can't wait for someone to get this thing and review it.
post #42 of 74 Old 03-09-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwood View Post
Really tempted by the HZ39HDR. At my screen size and seating distance 1080p is still great and the ability to go up to 120hz would be awesome.

Regarding the note about 1080p 120hz coming in a later firmware update, does Optoma have a good track record of delivering on these promises?

I'm also curious about how the claimed 75% uniformity plays out in reality.
  • The HD39HDR claimed 80% but delivered 56% in Projector Central's test.
  • The HD27HDR claimed 80% but delivered 64% in Projector Central's test.
This already shows some inconsistency between the relative performance to their datasheet claims. And I'm assuming the laser in the HZ39HDR will perform differently than the other two as well.

I use my projector not only for gaming but also doing stuff on the PC and have been spoiled by the 80%+ uniformity of the Epson HC2100.

Can't wait for someone to get this thing and review it.
The HZ39HDR appears to be physically identical to the ZH403 which was reviewed here:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...-Road-Test.htm
post #43 of 74 Old 03-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:

They delivered the promised 120hz update to the HD27HDR after about a year. That being said I think HZ39HDR probably already has 120hz and there has been some communication issues regarding the firmware update. Why would the HZ39HDR not launch with 120hz when they already have several projectors on the market with this feature? I think the planned firmware update is for adding Enhanced Gaming mode when the projector is accepting 4k60hz signal
post #44 of 74 Old 03-09-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The HZ39HDR appears to be physically identical to the ZH403 which was reviewed here:

Thanks!! I'll check it out.

Quote:
They delivered the promised 120hz update to the HD27HDR after about a year. That being said I think HZ39HDR probably already has 120hz and there has been some communication issues regarding the firmware update. Why would the HZ39HDR not launch with 120hz when they already have several projectors on the market with this feature? I think the planned firmware update is for adding Enhanced Gaming mode when the projector is accepting 4k60hz signal

Good to know. I don't know why they'd launch without it but I'm glad to hear they added it eventually with the previous model.
post #45 of 74 Old 03-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Just to follow up on this, I checked the user manual and it doesn't list 1080p120hz as a supported resolution in the user manual. All of the references to 120hz seem to be related to converting it up 3D. You'd also think 1080p120 is something they would market if it was something the projector can do right now, which makes me inclined to think it does need the firmware for some odd reason.

Quote:

After checking it out they're saying it delivers 64% - 71% uniformity based on the zoom. On the low end that's equivalent to the HD27HDR (higher than the HD39HDR'S 56%). Interesting.

Is "uniformity" always in reference to brightness uniformity on projectors? I know it can mean different things on a TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
Pretty much sums up why I made my comment, #22 . It is only a matter of time before the new chipset is combined with a UST for gamers. I’m really hoping it happens before Christmas 2020, since that is when the new PS5 and xBox Series X will be hitting shelves. I am holding off on a projector until one can “hang with” one of the newer units. And if all manufacturers fail to deliver, then I’ll be forced to get a flat screen.

Again, a UHD50X crossed with a P1 UST would be an instant purchase for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just returned to the projector hunt again after researching TVs for a while. The sizes are getting there, but on the LED side of the spectrum we have brutal grey uniformity and on the OLED side the burn-in risk still seems to be there for gamers, or (in my case) doubling as PC viewing in the living room.

I have some hope though in the 5-10 year range for micro LED which seems to offer the contrast/blacks of OLED but with even more brightness and colour quality than QLED. Though I'm sure it'll have its own cons, not least of which being the price tag.
post #46 of 74 Old 03-10-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to follow up on this, I checked the user manual and it doesn't list 1080p120hz as a supported resolution in the user manual. All of the references to 120hz seem to be related to converting it up 3D. You'd also think 1080p120 is something they would market if it was something the projector can do right now, which makes me inclined to think it does need the firmware for some odd reason.

After checking it out they're saying it delivers 64% - 71% uniformity based on the zoom. On the low end that's equivalent to the HD27HDR (higher than the HD39HDR'S 56%). Interesting.

Is "uniformity" always in reference to brightness uniformity on projectors? I know it can mean different things on a TV.

I just returned to the projector hunt again after researching TVs for a while. The sizes are getting there, but on the LED side of the spectrum we have brutal grey uniformity and on the OLED side the burn-in risk still seems to be there for gamers, or (in my case) doubling as PC viewing in the living room.

I have some hope though in the 5-10 year range for micro LED which seems to offer the contrast/blacks of OLED but with even more brightness and colour quality than QLED. Though I'm sure it'll have its own cons, not least of which being the price tag.
My UHD50 doesn't officially support 120hz either, but when I feed it a 120hz 1080p signal it accepts it and displays it just fine.

Uniformity typically refers to light fall off in the corners. In my experience 60-70% uniformity is only noticeable on test patterns, and not noticeable with real world content.
post #47 of 74 Old 03-10-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
My UHD50 doesn't officially support 120hz either, but when I feed it a 120hz 1080p signal it accepts it and displays it just fine.

Uniformity typically refers to light fall off in the corners. In my experience 60-70% uniformity is only noticeable on test patterns, and not noticeable with real world content.

That's good to know! I am seriously tempted by this projector. Just going to wait for a review to pop up. Thanks for the help!
post #48 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I'd be very curious how the GT1090hdr and HZ39HDR would compare to the Optoma ZH406 in real world performance.?.? The "guts" all seem pretty much identical between them but the ZH406 has vertical lens shift and has the output for the external RF 3d emitter. It's a bit more $$$ than the GT and HZ though. On the surface...the ZH406 ticks many boxes for me. There are ZERO reviews on the ZH406 however.
post #49 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Doesn't the zh406 use a single blue laser while the new zh39hdr uses the new red+blue laser tech?
post #50 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserMan207 View Post
Doesn't the zh406 use a single blue laser while the new zh39hdr uses the new red+blue laser tech?
Not sure...all are listed as having the Duracore laser light engine and use 4 segment color wheels. Contrast specs are pretty much the same as well.

Edit: Color wheel on both is stated as being a 4 segment RGBY wheel.

Last edited by KenWH; 03-11-2020 at 11:58 AM.
post #51 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserMan207 View Post

I haven't seen anything to suggest a red-blue laser in the ZH39HDR.
post #52 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
I'd be very curious how the GT1090hdr and HZ39HDR would compare to the Optoma ZH406 in real world performance.?.? The "guts" all seem pretty much identical between them but the ZH406 has vertical lens shift and has the output for the external RF 3d emitter. It's a bit more $$$ than the GT and HZ though. On the surface...the ZH406 ticks many boxes for me. There are ZERO reviews on the ZH406 however.

The ZH403 and ZU506 seem to perform very similarly, except for the greater brightness of the ZU506. This gives us a clue that the ZH406 should be just a slightly brighter version of the ZH403.
post #53 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The ZH403 and ZU506 seem to perform very similarly, except for the greater brightness of the ZU506. This gives us a clue that the ZH406 should be just a slightly brighter version of the ZH403.
I agree...I guess the question now is whether or not Optoma is doing anything on the software side that would make the GT1090hdr and HZ39HDR better with UHD/HD home theater video sources vs the ZH line which is technically geared to "conference" room presentation materials(power point, computer sourced content,etc.)
post #54 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a question on the GT1090HDR, and forgive me if this particular aspect (re: laser light source) has been discussed elsewhere.

With traditional lamp based projectors, one knew a white segment in a DLP color wheel meant color not quite as accurate and a slight hit black levels. But it helps with brightness in lamp based projectors.

The GT1090HDR is being sold as a gaming projector and has a blue laser. That said, it has a RGBY colorwheel with no white seg. And the DMD is .65
What kind of contrast, black levels and overall color quality should we be expecting from this projector?

I certainly don't expect it to have color or image quality of the Optoma P1, or BenQ's 3550 wide gamut models, but will it be comparable to most other RGB lamp based DLP projectors in terms of overall Rec709 coverage and black levels?
post #55 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
I have a question on the GT1090HDR, and forgive me if this particular aspect (re: laser light source) has been discussed elsewhere.

With traditional lamp based projectors, one knew a white segment in a DLP color wheel meant color not quite as accurate and a slight hit black levels. But it helps with brightness in lamp based projectors.

The GT1090HDR is being sold as a gaming projector and has a blue laser. That said, it has a RGBY colorwheel with no white seg. And the DMD is .65
What kind of contrast, black levels and overall color quality should we be expecting from this projector?

I certainly don't expect it to have color or image quality of the Optoma P1, or BenQ's 3550 wide gamut models, but will it be comparable to most other RGB lamp based DLP projectors in terms of overall Rec709 coverage and black levels?

I would expect it to be similar to the ZH403 and we have some owner comments on that projector here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...projector.html

and a review:

and the similar, but brighter ZU506T:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

and a 2nd opinion:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/opt...jector-review/
GregK likes this.
post #56 of 74 Old 03-11-2020, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Great links. Thank you!
post #57 of 74 Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so much choice now are any of these better than the optoma uhd52alv it will be mainly for 4k streaming and 3d
which should i get
thank you
post #58 of 74 Old 03-12-2020, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1974 View Post
so much choice now are any of these better than the optoma uhd52alv it will be mainly for 4k streaming and 3d
which should i get
thank you
4K material, mastered in 4K, will look considerably sharper on a true 4K projector if your image size and seating distance allows for it:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
juic-E-juice likes this.
post #59 of 74 Old 03-13-2020, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
4K material, mastered in 4K, will look considerably sharper on a true 4K projector if your image size and seating distance allows for it:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
yeah right thanks for that but my question was is the 52alv better than the latest optomas that have been released
post #60 of 74 Old 03-13-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1974 View Post
yeah right thanks for that but my question was is the 52alv better than the latest optomas that have been released
I can't really answer that. I do know that the older UHD50 series case (including the UHD52ALV) is very quiet and they have stereo rather than mono speakers. I doubt there's any significant advantages in terms of image quality in the newer units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page