looking for 4k UST (not xiaomi, Vava) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By monakh

post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looking for 4k UST (not xiaomi, Vava)

Hi,

is there a 4K UST projector (I got UST screen already) that you would recommend?

I have tried the Fengmi 4k (from Xiaomi) the grey version but I ended up returning it back, as I could not stand the coil noise (whine).
I thought that it is just bad luck with the unit I got so I gave it a try and ordered the white version of Fengmi 4k which is seems to be identical to gray version although chineese claims a bit better parameters. To myself it was just a different outside box. Unfortunately the unit had exactly the same coil noise so it went back to retailer.
I turned then to Vava 4K, but I found that it could not be purchased in Europe as they ship to US only. This also impose a difficulties with warranty and returns until they sort out shipping to EU countries.

Is there any good alternative with price tag up to 2500$ which has acceptable level of noise and is offering native 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2020, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Bielik View Post
Hi,

is there a 4K UST projector (I got UST screen already) that you would recommend?

I have tried the Fengmi 4k (from Xiaomi) the grey version but I ended up returning it back, as I could not stand the coil noise (whine).
I thought that it is just bad luck with the unit I got so I gave it a try and ordered the white version of Fengmi 4k which is seems to be identical to gray version although chineese claims a bit better parameters. To myself it was just a different outside box. Unfortunately the unit had exactly the same coil noise so it went back to retailer.
I turned then to Vava 4K, but I found that it could not be purchased in Europe as they ship to US only. This also impose a difficulties with warranty and returns until they sort out shipping to EU countries.

Is there any good alternative with price tag up to 2500$ which has acceptable level of noise and is offering native 4K?
There is no such thing as "native 4K" at that price point. In fact, there is no such beast at even the 10K level. Most units under the $10,000 mark are using TI's XPR DMDs.

Have you looked at the ChiQ models? There is a thread on the front page on the CHiQ B5U. It's a Euro variant. You should look into it as it's promising.
Tomas Bielik likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The only good option at this price range is VAVA, it doesn't have the coil whine and generally quieter then Xiaomi, but also quite a bit larger. Don't know much about ChiQ if it it's quiet or has coil whine, but it I thought it had Chinese interface.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

VAVA was my choice, but per their support, they do not know when the shipping to EU countries will be available.
I like the CHiQ, it seems to be a good choice.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2020, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
The only good option at this price range is VAVA, it doesn't have the coil whine and generally quieter then Xiaomi, but also quite a bit larger. Don't know much about ChiQ if it it's quiet or has coil whine, but it I thought it had Chinese interface.
The B5U is relatively quiet IMO. I can’t compare the noise levels to a Xiaomi or Fengmi but compared to a Viewsonic PX800HD which is rated at 35db (29db in eco), the Chiq is much more quiet. There is no coil whine and the menus are in English.

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #6 of 9 Old 03-05-2020, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

the white version of Fengmi had exactly the same level of noise and coil whine as the gray
the white version also had something wrong with Human detection sensor, so the screen was going to protective state periodically although there was nothing that should be triggering it. I raised a dispute and had it returned.

Fengmi white:
youtu.be/Pmek1YNrInI

Fengmi Grey:
youtu.be/7hE3VRklbag
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the white version of Fengmi had exactly the same level of noise and coil whine as the gray
the white version also had something wrong with Human detection sensor, so the screen was going to protective state periodically although there was nothing that should be triggering it. I raised a dispute and had it returned.

Fengmi white:
youtu.be/Pmek1YNrInI

Fengmi Grey:
youtu.be/7hE3VRklbag
I will give a try to that ChiQ B5U, crossing fingers.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2020, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I will give a try to that ChiQ B5U, crossing fingers.

Hi there Thomas ! I've seen on your thread that you wanted to give a try to the CHiQ B5U. I'm considering buying it myself. Did you end up buying it ? If that the case, are you satisfied with the product ?

Thanks in advance for your response
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, yes, I bought it and it is good. Very similar to Xiaomi Fengmi with picture quality, if not better.
Good, clean operating system and menu.
Few flaws that I would like to mention.
- The sound on Fengmi was much much better. This unit will need a soundbar.
There is no keystone adjustement, so you need to have flat surface. I had to adjust my screen so it is perfect 90 degrees towards the floor. Projector has adjustable knobs on the bottom, so that helps with screen adjustments, but is very inconvenient as you need to lift the projector to be able to rotate them. Other units tends to have wheel on the side that adjusts the bottom knobs/stands.
- I wish that height adjustable know would be on the back as well, but it is not
-in terms of noise it is very similar to Fengmi, maybe little less, but no coil whine, which is great as I could not stand the Fengmi coil whine.
- The infra/human body sensor catches the movement even if I walk 50cm left from the border of the screen, so it triggers everytime when someone enters the room becase I have a door right next to the screen so I had to turn it off
- the projector remote control has 4 buttons that are not mapped to anything, which could have been used.
- the projector remote control is able to control connected device (I think that the commands go via HDMI as it worked for Amazon Firestick as well as Xiaomi Mi TV Box 4). The 4 side wheel and OK button works, unfortunately the back button not, so to exit from the app, I need to grab the original (Firestick/MiBox) remote

So far I keep it as it is very good value for the money. I like that they do not put any bloatware on the unit and rather provide Amazon firestick free of charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page