should i upgrade from benq w2700 to benq w5700 (HT5550)0 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pehu

post #1 of 17 Old 03-16-2020, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 37
should i upgrade from benq w2700 to benq w5700 (HT5550)0

today i received a bonus for my work and i have now an opportunity to return my benqw2700 and can upgrade to benq5700. ( HT5550)

my question is. is the upgrade of 1000+ dollars worth it? will i get even better picture quality? the biggest reason i want to upgrade is the 1x6 zoom. which will fix the problem i have now that picture wont fit into the screen. but other then that any other reason why i should go with the big brother?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-16-2020, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post
today i received a bonus for my work and i have now an opportunity to return my benqw2700 and can upgrade to benq5700. ( HT5550)

my question is. is the upgrade of 1000+ dollars worth it? will i get even better picture quality? the biggest reason i want to upgrade is the 1x6 zoom. which will fix the problem i have now that picture wont fit into the screen. but other then that any other reason why i should go with the big brother?

thanks!
If it is a 1000 dollars worth it only you can say. The W5700/HT5550 does likely have better picture uniformity due to better lens system, better contrast and probably slightly better blacks (due to different dynamic iris). And it has better placement options due to the zoom and lens shift. It is also less noisy. It's not all good though: I think the W2700 puts out ~10% more lumens.
Another projector in the same price range you may want to take a look at is the Epson TW-9400/UB6050.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-17-2020, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:

thanks!
What don't you like about the W2700?

Screen size and fabric?

Color of walls?

Seating distance?

Desired projector (lens) to screen distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-17-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
If it is a 1000 dollars worth it only you can say. The W5700/HT5550 does likely have better picture uniformity due to better lens system, better contrast and probably slightly better blacks (due to different dynamic iris). And it has better placement options due to the zoom and lens shift. It is also less noisy. It's not all good though: I think the W2700 puts out ~10% more lumens.
Another projector in the same price range you may want to take a look at is the Epson TW-9400/UB6050.
thanks i will look into it.

the problem with the w2700 is that i dont like i cant 100% factory reset the projector. it does not have as large zoom as benq w1070 that i wanted to upgrade from. therefor it projects around the borders of the screen.

black levels are really not that great. after 7 years ( when i bought w1070 ) i thought it would have improved. overall picture quality is nice though when you have a scenes that are shot during daytime.

i piad 1000 dollars for benq w1070. i pay 1500 dollars for benq w2700. but i dont think that 500 dollars extra is worth it compared to what you get. also i have no way to test if HDR works yes or no. i tried a 4K.Ts file i downloaded to check it. but the mediaplayer inside does not recognise it.

also in the manual it does not state that the usbstick does not support exfat. i tested fat32 and ntfs that works but still. now i would not use the mediaplayer in the projector for using it except for testing video files to see for example if a i have a faulty hdmi cable etc. but if it hardly plays any files. its basically worthless. also there is no explanation how to switch off audio or subtitles.

for 20 years i owned benq projectors. so thats why i wanted to give the more expensive one a test.
that said maybe its time to go for a different brand. that new optima that comes out with 1080p 4K input in april sounds nice too. to me 4K does not make that much difference compared to 1080p. however HDR does make a lot of difference. so 1080p with hdr sounds great to me.

will check out that epson for sure.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-17-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

Screen size and fabric?

Color of walls?

Seating distance?

see my reply on the post above
post #6 of 17 Old 03-17-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
see my reply on the post above
Only the first question was answered.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Screen size and fabric?

Color of walls?

Seating distance?

120 inch, Black Out Cloth

greyish wall color

4000mm seating distance

desired projector ness to screen distance? i dont understand the question. sorry.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
120 inch, Black Out Cloth

greyish wall color

4000mm seating distance

desired projector ness to screen distance? i dont understand the question. sorry.
Grey is better than white, but it will still affect black level. On the HT3550 is fine though.

4m/13.12' is rather far away for an 120" screen , but it's up to personal preference.

You said the picture of the W2700 does not fit on the screen. What is the distance that you would need so that it would? Lens to screen?
Or how far away is the mount? Can't the mount be moved?

Are you located in North America?
post #9 of 17 Old 03-19-2020, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Grey is better than white, but it will still affect black level. On the HT3550 is fine though.

4m/13.12' is rather far away for an 120" screen , but it's up to personal preference.

You said the picture of the W2700 does not fit on the screen. What is the distance that you would need so that it would? Lens to screen?
Or how far away is the mount? Can't the mount be moved?

Are you located in North America?
as i calculated, i need to be 100mm closer to the screen. that is the big problem. i think i need to drill new holes into the ceiling. which i am not much a fan off. so far with every benq projector i have had, i could use the same mount. i never changed position. and this is my fourth benq projector and now the screen does not fit. i dont get it. is it maybe because the lens has changed sides? with benq w1070 the lens was on the left , but now its on the right.

also if you power for the first time the projector when its upside down since i hang it up the ceiling, the language and pictures are upside down. it does not automatically check if the projector is on its back or not. so i had to read the text and picture upside down. thats what causes the mistake that i chose by mistake the wrong setting, which i cant change back again because factory reset is not 100%.

and i live in the Netherlands. here in the Netherlands not many people have projectors, so there are not many shops around to check it out. i ordered the benq directly online. it was actually the first projector that i directly bought before checking it out myself. but because of the carona virus it messed things up.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
as i calculated, i need to be 100mm closer to the screen. that is the big problem. i think i need to drill new holes into the ceiling. which i am not much a fan off. so far with every benq projector i have had, i could use the same mount. i never changed position. and this is my fourth benq projector and now the screen does not fit. i dont get it. is it maybe because the lens has changed sides? with benq w1070 the lens was on the left , but now its on the right.

also if you power for the first time the projector when its upside down since i hang it up the ceiling, the language and pictures are upside down. it does not automatically check if the projector is on its back or not. so i had to read the text and picture upside down. thats what causes the mistake that i chose by mistake the wrong setting, which i cant change back again because factory reset is not 100%.

and i live in the Netherlands. here in the Netherlands not many people have projectors, so there are not many shops around to check it out. i ordered the benq directly online. it was actually the first projector that i directly bought before checking it out myself. but because of the carona virus it messed things up.
I've asked this several times, but what is the current projector lens to screen distance?

Is the projected image too small or too big for the screen?
post #11 of 17 Old 03-19-2020, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've asked this several times, but what is the current projector lens to screen distance?

Is the projected image too small or too big for the screen?
to big for the screen. the picture need to be smaller.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-19-2020, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a 3550 for six weeks. Absolutely loved it. Got an opportunity to upgrade to the 5550 for $500 and decided to roll the dice. To me it was well worth that amount. The sharpness, “cleaner” image, and better contrast was very evident the second I turned the projector on. I didn’t need the added placement flexibility, but now that I have it I love the ease of setup. The focus ring is much nicer and much easier to dial in. Is it worth $1000 more? To me yes, I would probably pay that much more.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-20-2020, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post
I had a 3550 for six weeks. Absolutely loved it. Got an opportunity to upgrade to the 5550 for $500 and decided to roll the dice. To me it was well worth that amount. The sharpness, “cleaner” image, and better contrast was very evident the second I turned the projector on. I didn’t need the added placement flexibility, but now that I have it I love the ease of setup. The focus ring is much nicer and much easier to dial in. Is it worth $1000 more? To me yes, I would probably pay that much more.
thank you very much for the answer.but sharper picrture? you mean more natural picture? because i dont like these very sharp pictures. because on the ht3550 i removed the sharpness a bit. because i found the borders to bright. specially the whites. i toned those colors down a bit.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-20-2020, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
thank you very much for the answer.but sharper picrture? you mean more natural picture? because i dont like these very sharp pictures. because on the ht3550 i removed the sharpness a bit. because i found the borders to bright. specially the whites. i toned those colors down a bit.
Yes, the 5550 is sharper. Text, crawls, even true 4K feeds are sharper. It is obviously a different lens, as the picture appears “cleaner” is the only way I can describe it. The upgraded focus ring really lets me dial in the sharpness. It’s ashame it isn’t powered which is one drawback. HDR was not watchable with Verizon Fios as a source on the 3550. Now I can. HDR color on the 3550 with 4K discs was really really very nice. The 5550 is like 15 percent better in my opinion. Blacks are definitely better, but I would imagine not as good as the Epson UB’s.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-21-2020, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post
Yes, the 5550 is sharper. Text, crawls, even true 4K feeds are sharper. It is obviously a different lens, as the picture appears “cleaner” is the only way I can describe it. The upgraded focus ring really lets me dial in the sharpness. It’s ashame it isn’t powered which is one drawback. HDR was not watchable with Verizon Fios as a source on the 3550. Now I can. HDR color on the 3550 with 4K discs was really really very nice. The 5550 is like 15 percent better in my opinion. Blacks are definitely better, but I would imagine not as good as the Epson UB’s.
thanks for the clarification. the problem remain though the throwback ratio. with ht5500 it stays the same. i thought that would change with this projector but it does unfortunately. so wha i am going to do is add metal plate in the ceiling so i can move the mount a bit forward and that should be alright. so i will keep the benq 3550. then invest that other 1000 in dolby atmos system. i think overall the best solution
post #16 of 17 Old 03-21-2020, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
to big for the screen. the picture need to be smaller.

Get the TW9400. With that screen diagonal from that seating distance the increased pixel count of the HT5550 is lost. The TW9400 is a superior machine in many ways to the HT5550, not to mention the HT3550.
https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...arison-review/
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...enQ-HT5550.htm

Use this calculator to make sure it fits the screen:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm

But it's a heavy unit at ~25lbs., so a proper mount is required.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
thanks for the clarification. the problem remain though the throwback ratio. with ht5500 it stays the same. i thought that would change with this projector but it does unfortunately. so wha i am going to do is add metal plate in the ceiling so i can move the mount a bit forward and that should be alright. so i will keep the benq 3550. then invest that other 1000 in dolby atmos system. i think overall the best solution
What is your projectors distance from the screen? It is simply not possible that you can not show a 120inch picture with either W2700 or W5700 using the same projector distance as with the W1070...

Did you use the benq projector calculator?

projectorcalculator.benq.com
noob00224 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page