Will projector sales skyrocket or have they ? Kinda off topic move mods if need be - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
  • 4 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 2 Post By Run&Gun
  • 2 Post By PrimeTime
  • 1 Post By wookiegr
  • 2 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By DaGamePimp
  • 1 Post By PrimeTime
  • 2 Post By bud16415
  • 2 Post By frostlich
  • 4 Post By DavidinGA
  • 1 Post By DaGamePimp
  • 2 Post By PrimeTime
  • 1 Post By Vankyo
  • 2 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By Samshort
  • 2 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 24 Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Will projector sales skyrocket or have they ? Kinda off topic move mods if need be

Mainly because of the movie theaters closing in a lot of places ?

So glad I have my own movie theater now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-16-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
I think that sales of projectors will be very flat. I think that people are still realizing how affordable they are and how well they can work in their homes, but not every home is suitable for front projection, and the continuing price drop of large flat panel televisions and their significant ease of use makes them a great buy for the typical consumer.

While we've certainly seen many more projectors in use since the days of the $20,000+ CRT projectors, the pricing of 1080p hit $1,000 about a decade ago and quality still costs some money. I'm not sure there will ever be a spike or that front projection will move out of the niche market. Especially for those who want quality front projection. It's just more work than many are willing to deal with.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-16-2020, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I think that sales of projectors will be very flat. I think that people are still realizing how affordable they are and how well they can work in their homes, but not every home is suitable for front projection, and the continuing price drop of large flat panel televisions and their significant ease of use makes them a great buy for the typical consumer.

While we've certainly seen many more projectors in use since the days of the $20,000+ CRT projectors, the pricing of 1080p hit $1,000 about a decade ago and quality still costs some money. I'm not sure there will ever be a spike or that front projection will move out of the niche market. Especially for those who want quality front projection. It's just more work than many are willing to deal with.

I think your right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post

Mainly because of the movie theaters closing in a lot of places ?

So glad I have my own movie theater now.
If you're referring to the closings because of COVID-19, I'd say no. Disposable income is going to be in short supply for a lot of people, along with just plain 'ole income.
Frost and ng4ever like this.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-19-2020, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 550
^^ Not really. The motion picture industry exploded during the Great Depression. People had no problem spending whatever they had to escape reality for a few hours. When this pandemic tails off in a month or two, people will flock to the movies in droves.
Casey_Bryson and ng4ever like this.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have no idea but I am desperately trying to get an lg hu70la and it's back ordered i.e. sold out at bestbuy, Amazon and as I type this I am still trying to get somebody at lg as I want a lg hu70la and the phone is busy busy and busy.

It seems some projectors are being sold?

What I do know is the best buy back order date of may 12th got changed to June 2nd

Hopefully b and have photo has it in Stock as I am running out of options on where to buy?

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #7 of 24 Old 05-12-2020, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 257
post #8 of 24 Old 05-12-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
What IS amazing (and just my own story)...

I run my own side business. Not a ton of advertising, but it's what it is. I strive for about $10K in profit. It's my side hustle and all. I can program Crestron, hang flat panels, work on some (less complicated) networks, pull and install a whole house audio system, etc. So, some things are grand (a whole house under construction), others are pretty easy, hand a few TVs and call it done. So, my years vary drastically, but it's been slow for me for a few years now. $5K a year maybe.

Since COVID-19 started, I've received 3-4 phone calls for work to do in about a month. This is about as many calls as I may see in an entire year.

One is a brand new home, which is asking for a theater install. 7.2 audio, JVC projector. Not a huge room, but a decent setup.

One is a pre-wired home which has been in place for a while, which needs to be modernized. Yeah, it'll be some work to identify the current setup and pull it all apart and put it back together with some updated touches.

One was a pretty basic TV hang over a fireplace.

The last is a revamp of an existing system I installed years ago with a Panasonic AE900U 720p projector.

So, only two are new projectors, but it's a lot of people at home who ARE looking at their home AV setups and making changes.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-12-2020, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
^^ Not really. The motion picture industry exploded during the Great Depression. People had no problem spending whatever they had to escape reality for a few hours. When this pandemic tails off in a month or two, people will flock to the movies in droves.
It's sad to say but I think that is wishful thinking at this point , I applaud the optimism though.

When polling shows that nearly 60% of people wish to continue to work from home (even after this passes) I think we are going to see many things change for years to come (and I fear that the movie theater as we know it today is in jeopardy).

The reality of what Universal accomplished with Trolls 2 via streaming is exactly what the movie theaters need to take seriously (they fear it, as they should, thus their reaction).

As mentioned above... with large home displays being so inexpensive many people have already shifted away from Movie Cinema viewing over the years, higher ticket prices account for higher revenue regarding top grossing films but that does not always equate to more butts in seats. While there are those that will 'flock' to the Theater once this passes there are going to be many that will not for a while to come (people that happily went to the Theater prior to this pandemic).

Home projection sales will likely increase in the years to come (with gains from laser and led) but it will obviously remain a small amount when compared with TV sales.

My grain of salt,
Jason
Russell Burrows likes this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #10 of 24 Old 05-12-2020, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ My post is now almost two months old. In that time it has become clear that the USA does not have the leadership, cohesion, resolve and discipline to emulate South Korea's COVID success. SK has not yet eliminated COVID, but they are much closer than we are. Given the partisan split here, I should have known better.

When we finally do get past COVID the nation's economy will remain depressed for a while. My point was that when that day comes and many are struggling economically, people will nevertheless flock to the cinema to experience the communal suspension of disbelief and the wonder of a shared emotional experience not really possible at home. And twenty bucks won't get you a home theater anyway.

p.s: I'm still using my Vivitek H1186HD. 4K hours, no problems, still reasonably bright on ECO.
DaGamePimp likes this.

Last edited by PrimeTime; 05-13-2020 at 11:28 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
I have been following this thread and there is no bigger motion picture fan than myself at least IMO. I grew up in the age of B&W TV and motion pictures in theaters that were cinemascope, enormous, and vivid colors beyond belief. It was also a time at least for me where going to a movie was a very special occasion, even rarer than going out to eat and that happened maybe 4 times a year if I was lucky. Going to our cities amusement park was even rarer at one day each year.

As I moved into adulthood access to movies became easier just as eating out became more common. Home entertainment became better and better and the social interaction movies provided became for me less of a positive and more of a negative. The idea of crowding into a theater with 500 likeminded people that felt it was just as special a treat as I did and all laughing together at the funny stuff and feeling sad together at the sad stuff and all screaming together at the scary stuff, slowly turned into being annoyed by the jerk that talked thru the movie to being even more annoyed by that later version of the jerk texting or taking a call during the movie.

I often wonder did I change or did the world change was it really a simpler better time or am I turning into that grumpy old guy. All I know is this all happened/started long before COVID19.

My generation collected LP music albums and wanted to create home theaters for themselves with the magic of front projection we remembered. The next generation collected CDs and then collected files on a iPod and now tell Alexa what they want to hear. Kind of instant gratification generation that watch movies 10 minutes at a time on Quibi on a phone. At home are more than satisfied with a 4k flat panel TV and a sound bar and stream most of what they watch when they want to watch it. I saw the other day one of the networks is bringing back Sunday night movies and I got a little excited as I remember how much fun that was looking forward to. Then I realized I can stream those movies anytime I want.

Times have changed and it’s not covid19, but I do agree covid19 has gave people time to think about it. That might be a good thing in the long run. I know I see people figuring out it is actually fun to cook a meal at home together or enjoy a movie together laughing at the funny parts together.
Russell Burrows and markrubin like this.

Bud
post #12 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

The mix is closed movie theaters and bored families plus stimulus checks perhaps leading to some looking at the family 55 HDTV and deciding it's time for a 70 inch oled or perhaps a projector.

Boredom vs budget looks like nobody wants boredom.

Perhaps that's why home entertainment spending is growing?

But this is just anecdotal so far till we get data in a few months.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #13 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I have been following this thread and there is no bigger motion picture fan than myself at least IMO. I grew up in the age of B&W TV and motion pictures in theaters that were cinemascope, enormous, and vivid colors beyond belief. It was also a time at least for me where going to a movie was a very special occasion, even rarer than going out to eat and that happened maybe 4 times a year if I was lucky. Going to our cities amusement park was even rarer at one day each year.

As I moved into adulthood access to movies became easier just as eating out became more common. Home entertainment became better and better and the social interaction movies provided became for me less of a positive and more of a negative. The idea of crowding into a theater with 500 likeminded people that felt it was just as special a treat as I did and all laughing together at the funny stuff and feeling sad together at the sad stuff and all screaming together at the scary stuff, slowly turned into being annoyed by the jerk that talked thru the movie to being even more annoyed by that later version of the jerk texting or taking a call during the movie.

I often wonder did I change or did the world change was it really a simpler better time or am I turning into that grumpy old guy. All I know is this all happened/started long before COVID19.

My generation collected LP music albums and wanted to create home theaters for themselves with the magic of front projection we remembered. The next generation collected CDs and then collected files on a iPod and now tell Alexa what they want to hear. Kind of instant gratification generation that watch movies 10 minutes at a time on Quibi on a phone. At home are more than satisfied with a 4k flat panel TV and a sound bar and stream most of what they watch when they want to watch it. I saw the other day one of the networks is bringing back Sunday night movies and I got a little excited as I remember how much fun that was looking forward to. Then I realized I can stream those movies anytime I want.

Times have changed and it’️s not covid19, but I do agree covid19 has gave people time to think about it. That might be a good thing in the long run. I know I see people figuring out it is actually fun to cook a meal at home together or enjoy a movie together laughing at the funny parts together. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Awesome post. Agree on all counts. My experience, thoughts, amd questions as well.

I guess my gripe is that I really don't enjoy or appreciate much of what is in theaters today.
How many Marvel superhero movies can they make anyway?

Guess its me.thats changed.
bud16415 and Sonyad like this.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I don't think sales will increase for home theater projectors.

Most people don't want to invest the time or space for a cinema type experience with a projector setup, instead, they're happy to toss up a 70" panel and be done. I've had tons of friends over to my 150" setup and I always get the WOW response and they talk about setting one up themselves, but always resort to "meh it's too much work" or "my 65" is big enough".

That said, the people with big flat panels are the group of people who still go to the theaters, and those of us with projector setups basically never go to the theaters (as it's a pathetic experience compared to what we can build at home imo). So I can see a small new group of buyers emerging for home theater projector setups, but not any real big sales jump...

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

A small extra jump in projector sales? Yup I see it as likely however for a bigger sales jump we need more lumens, better contrast and lower prices along with more laser models.

post #16 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I figured this is relative to the thread/discussion.

It appears there was a recent national poll... 55% stated they would be staying away from Movie Theaters.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #17 of 24 Old 05-13-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I often wonder did I change or did the world change was it really a simpler better time or am I turning into that grumpy old guy.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.
bud16415 and markrubin like this.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-14-2020, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
In this period, it is better saty home watch movie than go cinema. So projector might be choosen by more and more people.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-14-2020, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Few varying factors here:

On the negative side:

- The economy has suffered. Record unemployment, concerns about future income
- Even the wealthy have been hit (landlords, company owners etc)
- Projector production has been halted meaning fewer available projectors and price increases. One NX9 in the classifieds here sold above asking because none were available from JVC.
- Prices of very large TV's continue to fall and fall, and for most people this gets them 90% of the way to a cinematic experience without the pain of home cinema.
- We've seen Sony drop out of the commercial cinema projection market and that may impact domestic projectors at some point

On the positive side:

- People have been forced to spend a lot of time at home, likely meaning they have been considering ways to upgrade throughout their house. This will include things like TV's, and to a lesser extent projectors
- Disney and Netflix have seen record usage due to the above, putting an emphasis on home video entertainment

I imagine a net fall in projector sales taking all of the above into account...

---------------

My build thread
post #20 of 24 Old 05-14-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I think the projector industry has done a pretty terrible job of educating the public on what is possible...

L + L = R
post #21 of 24 Old 05-14-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
I think the projector industry has done a pretty terrible job of educating the public on what is possible...
The first projector I bought almost 20 years ago. It was a Sharp XR10X XGA projector and I was at Sams Club and there was a stack of them and one bolted down to a shelf with no information or demo and nothing to even call attention to it and it was in with the business printers and paper shredders. I took it home hooked a DVD player to it an old amp and a couple old speakers and tacked a bed sheet up for a screen and it blew me away. Other people came over and couldn’t believe it.

Fast forward 20 years and nothing much has changed. The public is not really aware of them and when you do see them retailed they are still stuck in with the paper shedders. On the rare occasion you wander into a high end home theater store and see some HT demos and they will knock your socks off twice. Once by the demo and the second time when you see the price tag.

No one ever gets told you can buy a 1080p RGBRGB HT theater quality projector for $425 and a nice HT in a box audio setup for another $400 and a screen for $200, and for about $1500 and some priceless fun / DIY labor have a nice little home theater.

From there the sky is the limit but there are a lot of people that would be pretty happy with such a setup. I know I paid 800 bucks for that first DLP 20 years ago and 800 then was more like a few thousand now.

So yes I agree the whole industry IMO is doing a poor job of marketing projectors and when they do market them they are getting people to think they can set them up and view them in bright rooms. So a big part of the ones they sell backfire when people tell other people they don’t work that good.
skoolpsyk and Russell Burrows like this.

Bud
post #22 of 24 Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Sales might explode if they make any new movies worth watching
mhutchins likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-30-2020, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 4140
Will projector sales skyrocket or have they ? Kinda off topic move mods if need be

I have several friends who are considering moving away from projectors towards big OLEDs. Projector tech is behind TV tech now more than in previous years. There isn’t an affordable projector on the market that can throw a picture nearly as good as a $2k OLED. Not to mention HDMI 2.1 and VRR is available on monitors and TVs, but not projectors (for gamers)

I see more home theaters being created, but not necessarily more projectors unless the parity in tech becomes closer. JVC and Sony — Epson, Optoma, Benq etc need to step up their game.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
post #24 of 24 Old 05-31-2020, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have several friends who are considering moving away from projectors towards big OLEDs. Projector tech is behind TV tech now more than in previous years. There isn’t an affordable projector on the market that can throw a picture nearly as good as a $2k OLED. Not to mention HDMI 2.1 and VRR is available on monitors and TVs, but not projectors (for gamers)

I see more home theaters being created, but not necessarily more projectors unless the parity in tech becomes closer. JVC and Sony — Epson, Optoma, Benq etc need to step up their game.
Your higher end projectors "IN A PROPERLY TREATED ROOM" can compete very closely to your OLED. Its true the only true advantage to a projector is screen size but that is a really "BIG" advantage. You $2k OLED is what 65" at most (anything above that costs a lot more) is like a postage stamp compared to a 120" + screen. My Panasonic plasma has an amazing picture in my uncontrolled great room far exceeding my projectors in my dedicated light controlled room but I never watch it for anything important as it's just far to small.

EDIT: gaming is another ball game as I am a "movie" buff and not a gamer but I think we are talking about the demise of Movie Theaters and the possibility of projector sales increasing because of it.
Russell Burrows and skoolpsyk like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 05-31-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page