Benq TK850 vs Epson HC3800 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 05-27-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I wouldn't recommend sending audio via bluetooth directly from the 3800 as it only supports up to aptX. If you must use bluetooth, a better option would be to use an aptX-LL BT transmitter from the audio out of the 3800 to an aptX-LL receiver to reduce latency.
I didn't find the latency noticeable, so I'll just stick to it. Good to know though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Benq TK850 is better in my experience.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-27-2020, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Lee View Post
Sorry I promised to give some info after the purchase, but I got pretty busy moving into my new place and totally forgot about it.

I never owned a TK850, so no direct comparison can be made. Luckily, I played with my friend's HT3550 for quite a while, so I can make a comparison to that.

For now, I will list some aspects and give them a (very subjective) mark:
Wow, thanks for the extensive review.

I would expect that the 3800 can't compete with the TK850 for sharpness, but so many reviews remark about how sharp the 3800 looks even though it's only 2k or whatever. When I was first shopping around, it was 4k or nothing, but I made my choice for a number of reasons (color, hdr, brightness, blacks/contrast, lag, no threat of rbe to name a few) and think I will be pretty happy with it. I knew I'd be passing up some sharpness, but I think you are probably right that the resolution/sharpness will be mostly only noticeable with text or if you stand close and really look for it. And then in a few years, I expect even better 4k performance to be available at a cheaper price.

In regards to your comment about 4k gaming, I've read many times that feeding in a 4k signal and pumping out a 2k or even a 1080p picture will be much better sharpness and picture quality than rendering from a native 1080p signal. It makes sense as there is more data for the image processing to work with and do it's thing. I can see how this would hold true for cinema, but I'm not sure it would have quite the same impact with gaming. Something else to consider is that I think this pj actually has lower lag with 4k than 1080p... I can't find where I read that though, and at these low lag levels it's probably splitting hairs.

In regards to bluetooth audio, I was wondering about that. But I have a Dolbly Atmos soundbar and surround speakers, so I can't imagine that bluetooth will be able to transmit that 7.1 Atmos signal without some sort of drop in quality or latency. As is the case, I think that I have to run a long HDMI cable from the pj to the soundbar.

Currently my plan is to connect my av source/s to my soundbar, and then run the HDMI video out from the soundbar to the pj. Is this the best plan, or would I be better of plugging components directly into the pj and then running audio out to the soundbar? Can the 3800 do audio out via hdmi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
I don't know about 3D blu ray players since I never owned one, but both 3d streaming and gaming seems to be in bad shape... Bigger streaming platforms do not have any 3D content (Netflix, AmazonPrime, HBO, AppleTV, etc), and Nvidia 3d Vision has been discontinued for quite a few years. If there's a way to experience 3D on projector that does not come with too much trouble, I would love to try. I heard that playstation provides some 3D streaming service? Not sure if PS5 will have it too
Can't find the thread right now but there are options for 3D streaming. Ask @3DBob .
Or: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/

3D is possible with the latest nvidia drivers:
http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2017/05...x-manager.html

Not too familiar with blu ray players, but many should still be 3D blu ray compatible. There are many great 3D blu rays out there.

Here are some demos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+sbs

Last edited by noob00224; 05-28-2020 at 02:12 AM.
post #35 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGemini View Post
Wow, thanks for the extensive review.

I would expect that the 3800 can't compete with the TK850 for sharpness, but so many reviews remark about how sharp the 3800 looks even though it's only 2k or whatever. When I was first shopping around, it was 4k or nothing, but I made my choice for a number of reasons (color, hdr, brightness, blacks/contrast, lag, no threat of rbe to name a few) and think I will be pretty happy with it. I knew I'd be passing up some sharpness, but I think you are probably right that the resolution/sharpness will be mostly only noticeable with text or if you stand close and really look for it. And then in a few years, I expect even better 4k performance to be available at a cheaper price.

In regards to your comment about 4k gaming, I've read many times that feeding in a 4k signal and pumping out a 2k or even a 1080p picture will be much better sharpness and picture quality than rendering from a native 1080p signal. It makes sense as there is more data for the image processing to work with and do it's thing. I can see how this would hold true for cinema, but I'm not sure it would have quite the same impact with gaming. Something else to consider is that I think this pj actually has lower lag with 4k than 1080p... I can't find where I read that though, and at these low lag levels it's probably splitting hairs.

In regards to bluetooth audio, I was wondering about that. But I have a Dolbly Atmos soundbar and surround speakers, so I can't imagine that bluetooth will be able to transmit that 7.1 Atmos signal without some sort of drop in quality or latency. As is the case, I think that I have to run a long HDMI cable from the pj to the soundbar.

Currently my plan is to connect my av source/s to my soundbar, and then run the HDMI video out from the soundbar to the pj. Is this the best plan, or would I be better of plugging components directly into the pj and then running audio out to the soundbar? Can the 3800 do audio out via hdmi?
@GeoGemini
From your description it sounds like your soundbar can work not just as a speaker, but also as a home theatre receiver that takes in HDMI input, and split to video (to projector) and audio (to speakers), is that right? In that case, either way you suggested would be just fine. Just use whichever setup that makes least wire cluster and uses least wires-across-room.
GeoGemini likes this.
post #36 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
@GeoGemini
From your description it sounds like your soundbar can work not just as a speaker, but also as a home theatre receiver that takes in HDMI input, and split to video (to projector) and audio (to speakers), is that right? In that case, either way you suggested would be just fine. Just use whichever setup that makes least wire cluster and uses least wires-across-room.
Yes, that's right. It can act as a receiver and has HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.2, and 4k/60hz/HDR pass through.

I am going proceed with having the soundbar act as the av receiver, which will make for a cleaner setup as you suggested.
post #37 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGemini View Post
Yes, that's right. It can act as a receiver and has HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.2, and 4k/60hz/HDR pass through.

I am going proceed with having the soundbar act as the av receiver, which will make for a cleaner setup as you suggested.
Just a quick reminder - the projector itself does not have HDMI2.1, it uses HDMI2.0b just like most other projectors and TVs. Which means [email protected]+HDR is fine, but not with 10bit color.
post #38 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Just a quick reminder - the projector itself does not have HDMI2.1, it uses HDMI2.0b just like most other projectors and TVs. Which means [email protected]+HDR is fine, but not with 10bit color.
The 5050UB manual says it does. Page 170:
https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd56386.pdf
post #39 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The 5050UB manual says it does. Page 170:
https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd56386.pdf
I wonder why. The manual also mentions that the projector supports 18gbps transmmision band. If it did have an HDMI2.1 then it would be saying 48gbps instead.

And afair 18gbps isn't enough for [email protected]+HDR+10bits

post #40 of 40 Old 05-28-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder why. The manual also mentions that the projector supports 18gbps transmmision band. If it did have an HDMI2.1 then it would be saying 48gbps instead.

And afair 18gbps isn't enough for [email protected]+HDR+10bits
In the Epson 3800 manual there is a footnote that states that 4k 60hz 4:4:4 10-bit and 12-bit are displayed at 4:2:2 pixel encoding... So it does do 4k 60hz HDR 10bits, but it downsamples the chroma output, presumably to avoid the hdmi 2.0 speed limits?

Epson 3800 compatible 4k signals shown on page 148... Note the asterisk on the 4k/60hz 4:4:4 line item. Perhaps the 5050ub manual failed to include this caveat?
https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd57551.pdf
noob00224 and ckyavs like this.

Last edited by GeoGemini; 05-28-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page