Benq W1080ST Half blank screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Benq W1080ST Half blank screen

I put a new bulb in my BenQ projector. It would shut off within a minute with either a bulb Error or overheating warning. I took it apart and cleaned everything including the colour wheel sensor. Now it works without overheating or bulb error. Unfortunately something as bad or worse has happened. It now is bright on the top half of the screen and dark on the bottom half. I have NO idea what to do. I can’t figure out what went wrong. I have enclosed a picture. I loaded a blank white background on YouTube to give you an idea of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49E1FCF6-421F-4592-8E15-FE845E25E98D_1585003983259.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2701070  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 630
That looks like a piece of cloth, appears to be inside the light engine. Time to take it apart again to make sure you left nothing behind.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I did take it apart afterwards because my first thought was something like yours. My theory was one of the cables was crossing over somewhere and that’s what I was seeing. I couldn’t find anything that resembled that. This is my first time disassembling a projector so my knowledge is really quite limited. Can you shed some light on what different things could have something blocking it? When I installed the new bulb in its housing I know it was good because initially it looked great. It was just shutting off within a minute. So I know it’s not in the housing of the bulb. Is there anything after the bulb that could cause that? I did take the projector apart because to clean the sensor on the colour wheel required pretty much a complete disassembly. Could the colour wheel cause that? The colours look fine on the top half and muted on the bottom half. I know you can’t tell that because the picture I posted was just a white background. This of course is the WORST timing this could happen when my whole house is self isolating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 4014 Post(s)
Liked: 3186
While the fuzzy grey area between the white and black certainly looks like the edge of a piece of cloth, if you've checked and there was no cloth left inside then other possibilities have to be considered. One possibility is that the grey area might be from the pond of micromirrors (POM) around the edges of the active micromirrors in each DLP chip. While these micromirrors are supposed to be switched off they still reflect some light, which would explain the fuzzy grey look compared with the active micromirrors appearing white.

If that's the case then the light path is not properly aligned with the DLP chip and may have been bumped out of place during the internal cleaning process. This is just my speculation and someone with more experience with misaligned DLP light paths would need to confirm if this makes sense.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

That's some great information. Admittedly I am getting quite frustrated. I've had it apart a total of five times. I truly wish I had more knowledge on this. I will do what I can to check on this alignment issue. Not sure it's within my scope of understanding though to fix it.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrp73 View Post
That's some great information. Admittedly I am getting quite frustrated. I've had it apart a total of five times. I truly wish I had more knowledge on this. I will do what I can to check on this alignment issue. Not sure it's within my scope of understanding though to fix it.
Maybe take a picture of it dissembled.

Oh and don't try to clean the lens with a cloth and formula.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Try FixitFrank on Youtube. He is nice guy and he will help you.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Klipsch RP-160m,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-8000F,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800CII/2xCDT3650CII,Klipsch R115SW/R110SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page