post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Upgrade from LG projector

Hi All
i have some questions:
i want to upgrade from LG PF1500W led 1080p projector (1400 lumens). Its a really nice projector as its led can last longer than bulb projectors, and colors are very good for a 100 inch picture.
however i want to upgrade and want something that will have more brightness lumens /can be used in ambient light, and should have wide color gamut feature.
i want to stay under or around 1K if possible and want 130 inch screen, main use will be for movies.

i looked at LG HF80JA it has 2000 ANSI lumens (+it uses laser technology)--i know model is old, but would this be a significant upgrade??
AAXA 4K1 -4K , 1500 Lumens----dont know is it will be bright enough for ambient light conditions, unable to find good reviews about its performance.
Optoma UHL55 -also 4K, 1500 Lumens, but i heard its very dim, only good in complete darkness.

side Q1: LG model HF60LA model looks exactly like my PF1500W, anyone know is there any difference beside laser beam vs LED.
side Q2: is laser pic Quality really noticeable/more sharp as compared with normal LED projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-25-2020, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 630
What your asking for doesn't exist, at least even close to your price range. The best projectors for brightness with decent color are LCD lamp based projectors. I would look at the Epson discontinued 3700 as a refurbed or old stock. It has long lasting $100 replacement lamps, is brightest in its class and can be had for well under $1K. Already being a projector owner you should know projectors don't work in ambient light unless it is controlled to some extent. You may want to look at UST w/ALR screen if ambient light is a big issue but well over $1K for anything decent.
AV_Integrated likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Seeing that you're already upgrading I don't think a projector with a light source that is not lamp based is necessary.

Secondly no projector and screen setup will ever be suitable for movies with ambient light. There are people that will disagree, but IMO ambient light affects the image too much to be acceptable.
The only type of content that works in this type of environment are broadcasts that are bright and you don't care about quality, like sports or day time TV.

Example with real life scenarios:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post58809924
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
You aren't going to get there from here.

Laser projectors are coming into their own right now and we are seeing more and more models hit the streets with laser light engines, but we are still several years away before we are likely to see Epson, BenQ, and others switch over to laser at highly affordable prices. Really, entry level is where you are sitting firmly.

Buying a different $1,000 projector today from what is just a few years old just won't be an upgrade, or much of an upgrade overall if you demand a solid state light engine.

But, the jump in brightness from LED to a laser projector ($$$) or a traditional lamp-based projector ($) is a nice way to go.

Still brightness cost money and black levels cost money. A proper home theater should be looking for better black levels, and to combine that with brightness gets tricky.

I like the recommendation for the Epson 3700 as it represents a lot more light output and a lot more placement flexibility with really cheap lamps.

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...p/V11H799020-N

With 4 hours of use a day you will get about 2.5 years of use from that projector before the first lamp fails. For your budget, you can get 3 more factory lamps, which gives you a total of TEN YEARS of use before you've gone over budget.

Since you are upgrading every few years, it is unlikely you will kill the lamp that comes with the projector.

LED is not the solution, especially if you want a larger, brighter image.
Dave in Green likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone who replied. realy appreciate...

let me re-phrase and ask again

If i go lamp based for more brightest in ambient light condition... is epson 3700 will be better than epson 2150, how are the blacks, and the color /sharpness, fan noise?? whats the main diff between two.???

if i go LED route, would LG HF80JA be a significant upgrade from PF1500W , if used in dark???

Last edited by t333; 03-26-2020 at 02:59 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by t333 View Post
Hi All
i have some questions:
i want to upgrade from LG PF1500W led 1080p projector (1400 lumens). Its a really nice projector as its led can last longer than bulb projectors, and colors are very good for a 100 inch picture.
however i want to upgrade and want something that will have more brightness lumens /can be used in ambient light, and should have wide color gamut feature.
i want to stay under or around 1K if possible and want 130 inch screen, main use will be for movies.

i looked at LG HF80JA it has 2000 ANSI lumens (+it uses laser technology)--i know model is old, but would this be a significant upgrade??
AAXA 4K1 -4K , 1500 Lumens----dont know is it will be bright enough for ambient light conditions, unable to find good reviews about its performance.
Optoma UHL55 -also 4K, 1500 Lumens, but i heard its very dim, only good in complete darkness.

side Q1: LG model HF60LA model looks exactly like my PF1500W, anyone know is there any difference beside laser beam vs LED.
side Q2: is laser pic Quality really noticeable/more sharp as compared with normal LED projector?
Hey,

I've looked at all the projectors you mentioned and even considered the Epson. I suggest you consider stacking (or in my case side by side). Stacking overcomes the problems mentioned by other posters and is extremely easy to implement. I don't have ANY problems with brightness and I use both projectors in the 30K hour mode (economy).

I have five PF1500 projectors (three pf1500w two of which are paired with pf1500's) and a single pf1500w. I have 100, 122, 140 image sizes. Right now I am looking at a simply stunning youtube HDR demo streamed to an old (ten years) computer on a wall at 122 inches.

I consider the PF1500w the most impressive purchase that I have made in the past half century. I suspect that the LEDs in the PF1500s are NOT the same as the PF1500 original because they are extremely bright.

So unless you have stressed your projector by running it is higher than eco (max power savings) you should have a very bright picture. I can work with you to compare notes so that at least we can have a common reference for opinions. For example, we could use the same youtube videos as a reference and then compare our respective impressions and go from there.

Right now I am streaming a HDR Demo on youtube while typing this and it looks like I am looking through a hole my wall with both projectors in max power at 122 inches on a flat white wall.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by t333 View Post
thanks everyone who replied. realy appreciate...

let me re-phrase and ask again

If i go lamp based for more brightest in ambient light condition... is epson 3700 will be better than epson 2150, how are the blacks, and the color /sharpness, fan noise?? whats the main diff between two.???

if i go LED route, would LG HF80JA be a significant upgrade from PF1500W , if used in dark???
The benefit of the 3700 over the 2150 is better lens (with a lot of lens shift) and bigger case for quieter cooling. I don't know much about the LG but reading reviews it isn't overly bright and no laser dimming so very poor dynamic contrast. At twice the price of the Epson and an inferior PQ over the Epson I wouldn't go that route.
noob00224 likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2020, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post
Hey,

I've looked at all the projectors you mentioned and even considered the Epson. I suggest you consider stacking (or in my case side by side). Stacking overcomes the problems mentioned by other posters and is extremely easy to implement. I don't have ANY problems with brightness and I use both projectors in the 30K hour mode (economy).

I have five PF1500 projectors (three pf1500w two of which are paired with pf1500's) and a single pf1500w. I have 100, 122, 140 image sizes. Right now I am looking at a simply stunning youtube HDR demo streamed to an old (ten years) computer on a wall at 122 inches.

I consider the PF1500w the most impressive purchase that I have made in the past half century. I suspect that the LEDs in the PF1500s are NOT the same as the PF1500 original because they are extremely bright.

So unless you have stressed your projector by running it is higher than eco (max power savings) you should have a very bright picture. I can work with you to compare notes so that at least we can have a common reference for opinions. For example, we could use the same youtube videos as a reference and then compare our respective impressions and go from there.

Right now I am streaming a HDR Demo on youtube while typing this and it looks like I am looking through a hole my wall with both projectors in max power at 122 inches on a flat white wall.

Hi obscuro
i love my pf1500w , its a really good pic in dark env...
what exactly you mean by pairing?
is pf1500 not as good as pf1500W?? i thought the only diff is OS and Wifi, otherwise they are same ,is that not true?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-28-2020, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you are at 1400 lummens a 100 inch right now you need 2500-3000 to make the next jump. 2x brightness is only a little brighter to your eyes.

What screen do you have ? What is your space like? These are as important as your projector.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I do not use my projectors in a dark environment. My walls are white and I have no intention of painting black walls or a cave environment. There is always ambient light and I usually use my main projector as a second screen to my computer network.

My main work lab space contains a few computers connected to three HDMI switchers. There are three active displays: two TV/projectors and one TV/monitor. I usually just have the PF1500w and my Sharp TV active while working on my computers.

The PF1500w and PF1500 look alike but differ significantly with pros and cons to each but as far as the picture is concerned the PF1500w is brighter and has a far better color balance.

1. The GUI is slow as molasses on the PF1500w yet attractive.
2. The original PF1500 has a much quicker interface but no where near as snazzy.
3. I can Miracast to the original PF1500 but not the PF1500w. You have to connect the PF1500w to a network to stream.
4. The PF1500 has component input and the PF1500w does not.
5. Both are quiet but the PF1500w is quieter than the PF1500.
6. The PF1500w has automatic picture adjustment (Live TV) whereas there is no automatic picture adjustment.
7. The TV tuner is faster and seems to be more sensitive on the newer PF1500w.
8. The PF1500 has a power design flaw that shortens its life if the user fails to compensate for that flaw. (Toggling sports mode by pressing the green button
9. The PF1500 is compatible with other LG remote controls. The PF1500w remote is Bluetooth (I think).
10. The PF1500w is much faster than the PF1500. In order to overlay my images I have to use the PF1500 in computer mode otherwise the lag on the PF1500 is really, really bad (170ms) in standard video modes. Computer mode restricts the aspect ratio to 4:3 and 16:9. Computer mode also significantly limits signal processing like contrast, color, gamut, etc.
11. The PF1500w has better contrast which makes the picture appear better.
12. The lens optics on the PF1500 is better but only if you examine the picture up close. The PF1500w has fringing which appear as double letter and significantly reduces the potential contrast. In other words, if LG had used a coat glass lens design it would have given elevated the picture to a new level. But I as it is, the fringing is not noticeable at normal viewing distances and only when I am viewing 4K material do I even care about the fringing.
13. The PF1500 takes a while to stabilize the image.

I am sure there are other differences but these are the things off the top of my head.

I try to ALWAYS use my PF1500 projectors in economy / max power savings mode so that I can get the benefit of the 30,000 hour projector life.

I own LG HW300T projectors. Two did not fare well and lasted about 12000 hours before the output dropped to unacceptable levels. I never used them in max brightness so I concluded that low power was the way to go.

When I learned about the PF1500 original, I was excited to learn that it had four corner picture adjustment. That feature meant that I could treat the projector like a subcomponent in a much bright super projector. Stacking projectors is a common way to increase the brightness. So I waited until the price dropped and bought two PF1500 projectors. I did not want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a stacking rig (a fancy stand to hold one projector over the other) so I sat them side by side and adjusted the four corners of both projectors until they formed one picture. I doubled the lumen output and increased the brightness by 70 percent! So instead of running one projector on HIGH which would increase the noise and shorten the projector life I achieved the same effect for just a few dollars (I waited for my local merchant to offer a killer price).

So I have a PF1500w and a PF1500 sitting side by side. The pair in my living room gives a better image because the pixel geometry is better matched. But both duet PF1500 give a much brighter picture than a single projector.

@kemannthey : Actually, that was one of the first complaints about LGs 2000 lumen projectors: they barely seemed any brighter than the 1400 lumen projectors.

And speaking of environment, I own LG PH550 projector (I have three). I had quite a shock when I moved the same projector to three different rooms in my house. The difference in picture was so extreme that I thought I had somehow broken the projector. There were no screens but the reflecting boundaries from adjacent walls really did a number on the picture. And the only reason I noticed the picture differences was because the projector was nearly silent in one room but had an annoying hum in the second room. I realized that the best placement from the projector was the one place that created a standing wave: 10x20x40 (feet) dimensions. In trying to find the cause of the hum, I then noticed the degraded picture quality.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I don't there are 4k projectors under 1k that have more light then you have now.

I would suggest you look a BenQ and Epson refurbished business projector with 3000 5000 Lazer lumens if you want a brighter or larger picture it the spaces you talk about.

Led projectors tap out below 2000 lumens for the most part and Lazer start at 3000. With the hours you talk about I would not even look at a bulb projector.

Have Fun!

price range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page