HDMI 2.1 Projector for XBox Series X and PS5? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Northern_Lights

post #1 of 5 Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
HDMI 2.1 Projector for XBox Series X and PS5?

Are there any current or upcoming projectors with HDMI 2.1 ? Seems like there is no point in buying a new XBox Series X (or PS5) until I can get a new 4K projector to go with it that supports 2.1 with support for gaming-oriented features such as auto low-latency mode (ALLM) and variable refresh rate (VRR). I'm wondering what the impact of the new XBox and PS5 will have on the projector market. Both of my projectors are hooked up to current gen XBox units for games and streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Most large format displays aren't really suited for gaming as it is. Sync issues and lack of higher refresh rates combined with poor lag on the newest DLP models certainly makes things more difficult.

Then you get the nearly complete lack of HDMI 2.1 equipment on the market, and it becomes something of a joke.

I have no idea what portion of HDMI 2.1 that any new consoles will actually be a part of and what features will be supported at this time, but they are likely designing them in an attempt to be relevant six years down the road when displays with HDMI 2.1 actually exist.

Since projectors already are way behind television technology, and almost no TVs actually have this capability, I wouldn't expect projectors to be leading the way on this at all.

Ask again in four years to see if anything exists.

Also, it will give you time to find out if console gaming has finally bit the dust.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
VRR is not possible with DLP at the moment, so you won't be seeing a VRR DLP projector anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-29-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 650 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4093 Post(s)
Liked: 3896
Console gaming is not going to bite the dust within 4 years. That’ll be three years into the lifespan of the next gen. Next gen is the first generation to get excited about in console gaming for a few generations. The hardware specs announced aren’t gimped in any meaningful way over a current top shelf gaming PC today.

8 core/16 thread 3.8GHz Ryzen processor
5700XT/1080TI type GPU speeds
16GB RAM
NVME speed storage

This system performance level will be capable of playing most any currently released PC game at max settings with no performance cheats at 60Hz 4K. HDMI 2.1 VRR - thats a big boon for gamers. My next projector and AVR purchase will have 2.1, or it won’t earn my purchase money. VRR is a huge deal for gaming enthusiast.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an un-quantifiably great audio experience!

Last edited by Archaea; 03-29-2020 at 02:13 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2020, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Most large format displays aren't really suited for gaming as it is. Sync issues and lack of higher refresh rates combined with poor lag on the newest DLP models certainly makes things more difficult.

Then you get the nearly complete lack of HDMI 2.1 equipment on the market, and it becomes something of a joke.

I have no idea what portion of HDMI 2.1 that any new consoles will actually be a part of and what features will be supported at this time, but they are likely designing them in an attempt to be relevant six years down the road when displays with HDMI 2.1 actually exist.

Since projectors already are way behind television technology, and almost no TVs actually have this capability, I wouldn't expect projectors to be leading the way on this at all.

Ask again in four years to see if anything exists.

Also, it will give you time to find out if console gaming has finally bit the dust.

This post is almost entirely misinformation. Large format displays can be perfectly fine for gaming. I've spent the last couple of years gaming on a Panasonic 1080p projector from 2008 that only had 16 ms of input lag, and now I'm on an Epson 5050ub that has 24 ms input lag, both of which are perfectly fine even for FPS games (though you may notice the lag if you're accustomed to 1 ms lag on a gaming monitor). 24 ms is faster than you'll find on a lot of 4k TVs, but again, slower than a computer monitor. Virtually any projector nowadays is going to support 60hz, so I have no idea what's meant by "sync issues and lack of higher refresh rates," as this is total nonsense.

The HDMI 2.1 features included in the next-gen consoles is well-documented, at least for the Series X, so this is no mystery either. The new LG OLEDs announced at CES do have HDMI 2.1 and some of the same features as found in the Series X's take on 2.1, some quick research on this will give you the details.

Finally, the idea of consoles "biting the dust" in four years is ludicrous, unless you think that the likes of Stadia and Project X-Cloud and other game streaming services will have completely usurped the console market by then (hint: they won't). If anything, PC gaming would be more likely to bite the dust by then (hint: it won't, either) since as tech continues to progress, it becomes less and less necessary to have a larger box comprising the CPU, GPU, SSD, power supply, RAM, etc. Game consoles since 2013 have been using X86 architecture just like PCs, so the difference between a game console and a PC at this point comes down to the size of the box and the fact that you can run non-gaming applications on a PC.

To the OP: You will get a *massive* benefit by upgrading to a Series X, especially if you're coming from a 2013 Xbox One, regardless of whether your whole system (meaning console, cables, AVR and display) is 2.1-compliant. Features like VRR and ALLM are cool, but they're icing on the cake, and the vast majority of the features of the new consoles will not depend on whether you have HDMI 2.1. Raytracing, faster load times, larger game worlds, better AI, just downright better graphics - none of these have anything to do with HDMI 2.1 vs. 2.0.

As for 4K 60fps vs. 4K 120fps vs. 8K 60fps vs. 1080p 120fps, and their relation to HDMI 2.1 vs. 2.0: This is where it gets stickier, but everyone in the industry seems to be under the impression that these consoles will be targeting 4K 60fps for the vast majority of games, a spec that's perfectly possible now with HDMI 2.0. 1080p 120fps is also possible with HDMI 2.0, and there are some (rather affordable) projector options supporting 1080p 120fps (again refuting the other poster's point about projectors not having high refresh rates).

If you don't have HDMI 2.1, you'll be missing out on 8K 60fps and 4K 120fps. As powerful as these new consoles are, even the beefier Series X is highly unlikely to support many games at these resolutions/frame rates, with exceptions of very simple looking games like Minecraft, for example.

Long story short, there is no reason to feel like you'll get no benefit from the Series X if you don't have HDMI 2.1. In fact, I'd bet that 99% of the people buying the Series X and PS5 over the next two years will be enjoying the heck out of it without having a full HDMI 2.1 setup.
Cheddarhead likes this.

Pioneer SC-LX801 | Xbox One X | Rega P3 Turntable | Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 L/R, Reference Strada C | RSL CG3 surrounds | 4x RSL C34E Atmos in-ceilings | HSU VTF-3 MK5 subwoofer | Panasonic PT-AE3000U projector | Elite Screens 120" drop-down | Pioneer Kuro KRP-500m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page