Off the wall but a serious question? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Off the wall but a serious question?

Hi all, I had an idea? Most of the UHP- Lamp based projectors use mercury based short arc lamps and produce high amounts of UV light that as most of us know eventually break down the blue lcd panels and polarizers. Apparently the UV-C band is what is used to sterilize and break down viruses and bacteria as well. If you have ever seen a lamp fired up operating outside of the projector you know how focused and bright they are. Does anybody know what spectrum the bare lamps produce? From what I understand the light waves that work the best are ,,, == Between 200 to 280 nm,,,,,,,,

The following was copied from a site on the net.
UV light covers a wavelength spectrum from 100 to 380 nm and is subdivided into three regions by wavelength: UVA (320 to 400 nm), UVB (280 to 320 nm), and UVC (200 to 280 nm) (1). Among them, UVC has the strongest germicidal effect and is widely used in the form of mercury lamps to inactivate microorganisms.Dec 22, 2015

If there is anyone in here that can provide any more information/ Please feel free to leave a comment or point me in the right direction- Many Thanks in advance- Bohanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
It's much cheaper to get a UVC lamp than to jerry rig a projector. If the supply chains are working that is, and not in that power.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
It's much cheaper to get a UVC lamp than to jerry rig a projector. If the supply chains are working that is, and not in that power.
I agree if you can find them but if the Projector does work the light coming out of it would be so much more intense than the UVC lamps as far as disinfecting and killing viruses and taking the Panels and polarizers out of an old projector is not really that big a deal. I was just asking if anybody knew about the UV-C levels the metal halide/Uhp lamps actually produce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page