Benq LW720 Laser Projector for Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Wombat Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Benq LW720 Laser Projector for Home Theater

I have the opportunity to pick up an Benq LW720 Laser projector for about the same price as the HT3050 (european equivalent: W2000+)
My main use is home theater.
I can't find relevant reviews, but what I read about laser projectors makes this sound like a ridiculously good opportunity.
Anyone know enough to comment on this?
Thanks in advance!
Wombat Pete is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Looks like it’s only 1280x800 so 720p, not even full HD, much less 4k.

What do you want to use it for?
Fastrabbit19 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Wombat Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post
Looks like it’s only 1280x800 so 720p, not even full HD, much less 4k.

What do you want to use it for?
Max res is 1920x1200; HT2050 & HT3050 aren't 4K.
Contrast ratio looks stunning. Generally I seem to be reading that the colors are more and better, and the lum brighter and more consistent with a laser projector. But I can't find anything on using them for home theater, they seem all to be more expensive and aimed at education.
Wombat Pete is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat Pete View Post
Max res is 1920x1200; HT2050 & HT3050 aren't 4K.
Contrast ratio looks stunning. Generally I seem to be reading that the colors are more and better, and the lum brighter and more consistent with a laser projector. But I can't find anything on using them for home theater, they seem all to be more expensive and aimed at education.
Native resolution is 1280 x 800:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-LW720.htm (WXGA)

It might look OK, but it is not going to look as good as a 1080P or 4K projector:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

There are lower cost 1080P laser projectors on the market such as the HZ39HDR (ZH403 is very similar).
DunMunro is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Wombat Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Native resolution is 1280 x 800:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-LW720.htm (WXGA)

It might look OK, but it is not going to look as good as a 1080P or 4K projector:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

There are lower cost 1080P laser projectors on the market such as the HZ39HDR (ZH403 is very similar).
Lower cost is not the issue raised here anywhere.
I'd get the 3050 if it were available in my circumstances (where I'm stuck and a few other factors). As it is, what appears in the places I have access to is what I'm considering; this model came up and I started reading about the laser projector technology and it seemed promising. It would be good here to have to worry less about repairs/lamp replacements, and the color / lum consistency all seem impressive. But yes, you're both probably right.
Thanks!
Wombat Pete is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat Pete View Post
Lower cost is not the issue raised here anywhere.
I'd get the 3050 if it were available in my circumstances (where I'm stuck and a few other factors). As it is, what appears in the places I have access to is what I'm considering; this model came up and I started reading about the laser projector technology and it seemed promising. It would be good here to have to worry less about repairs/lamp replacements, and the color / lum consistency all seem impressive. But yes, you're both probably right.
Thanks!
This is a review of a similar lamp based projector. Personally, I would find the image quality acceptable for home use:


https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...sound-quality/
DunMunro is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2020, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,136
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat Pete View Post
Max res is 1920x1200; HT2050 & HT3050 aren't 4K.
Contrast ratio looks stunning. Generally I seem to be reading that the colors are more and better, and the lum brighter and more consistent with a laser projector. But I can't find anything on using them for home theater, they seem all to be more expensive and aimed at education.
Where are you reading all of all these things?
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off