Advise please - Connecting Projector power - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Advise please - Connecting Projector power

Experts,
Do you recommend to connect the Projector to a Surge protector plug or directly to wall power?
I have a dedicated power provision created for my PJ but currently do not use any surge protector. Is it a good idea to use one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I think the best idea for surge protection is a whole house surge protector. I do recommend a UPS for the projector though as if the power goes out while your watching anything, you want to be able to turn the projector off and let it go through it's normal power down/cool down.

I learned about a Power Bridge from this forum and was able to run the projector off the UPS in my equipment rack.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #3 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I think the best idea for surge protection is a whole house surge protector. I do recommend a UPS for the projector though as if the power goes out while your watching anything, you want to be able to turn the projector off and let it go through it's normal power down/cool down.

I learned about a Power Bridge from this forum and was able to run the projector off the UPS in my equipment rack.
Mine is ceiling mounted now on a suspended tile/ceiling.
Can you please advise me which UPS model I should buy (cheapest of course recommended) & should I just connect this UPS to my PJ main plug and then PJ cable to this UPS? thats it? or any other procedure pls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.costco.ca/apc-bn900m-ca-...100344251.html
can someone please advise me if above UPS is any good for Epson 2150 (312 Watts 100V - 240V)?
Also, should I keep this UPS inside my suspended ceiling plugging to main power unit attached in my ceiling?
post #5 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
APC is a well regarded manufacturer of UPS products. So, if the power supply is high enough to support your projector, which you will have to look at the typical power draw of your projector and compare it to the power which is supplied from the UPS, then you should be good.

I will say, that IMO, if you have clean power in your home, then it is rarely necessary to have a UPS. Especially if power outages are infrequent.

I certainly wouldn't want a heavy (and they all are) UPS sitting over my head in my theater. So, I would probably use a power extender for the projector to relocate the actual power feed from the projector to the equipment location. This way you can get whichever UPS or surge suppressor which is best suited to your needs.

I do this in my home with my main display to run it through a Surgex surge suppressor. Though, my home has very clean power as it is, and I'm not actually doing this with my projector.

So, you can get an inlet/outlet, then wire romex between the two to get a feed from the UPS/surge behind the walls, to the projector.
https://www.amazon.com/MIDLITE-Decor.../dp/B07DY59BVZ

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
The way to do it best is as recommended before with what is called a power bridge. Or you can simply buy an inlet and an outlet.

You place your surge protector or UPS near your main equipment rack then you get a thing called an inlet and mount it. it is like an outlet except it has the three male prongs sticking out. It gets wired with romex thru the walls and ceiling just like any other to code wiring. And ends up in the ceiling near the projector at an outlet. You then connect the inlet to your surge or UPS with a pigtail that is in effect a short extension cord.

Now you also plug all the rest of your equipment into the same surge or UPS.

I had a UPS that weighed about 60 pounds for many years and about a month ago the batteries in it needed replacing a pretty expensive thing. We seldom have power outages or varying voltage and such and the newer projectors don’t seem to be troubled much with rapid shutdown so I weighed the pros and cons and for me replaced the UPS with a surge device. I’m not overly worried about doing it that way. You defiantly don’t want to run with no protection.

https://www.engadget.com/2007-09-21-...ounted-tv.html

Bud
post #7 of 14 Old 05-08-2020, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both 'AV_Integrated' & 'bud16415' for your suggestions.
I am now attaching pics of how exactly my PJ is connected to power source. As you can see, electrician fixed one dedicated Power point in that wooden stud inside the ceiling & created a new/dedicated Breaker switch in Main Meter unit for this.
But main concern I see with my set up is that though with PJ remote, i can turn it Off, Green light is always on on PJ because i can never turn the main power off as control is inside the ceiling.
So, my main questions would be:
--Is this set up normal and do you want me leave as it is ? If i have to extend its power cord through ceiling & extend to floor main power, then i will not be able to utilize the dedicated breaker/power he set it up for PJ. Right?
--Otherwise, what are my options here?
--Or, simply i buy a good quality Surge protector & just plug to that power unit in ceiling without any UPS?

Please help me here as I do not want to run into any power related issues with new PJ if I can fix it now...

thanks a lot in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_204343.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	2723388   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_204416.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	907.2 KB
ID:	2723390  
post #8 of 14 Old 05-09-2020, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Thank you both 'AV_Integrated' & 'bud16415' for your suggestions.
I am now attaching pics of how exactly my PJ is connected to power source. As you can see, electrician fixed one dedicated Power point in that wooden stud inside the ceiling & created a new/dedicated Breaker switch in Main Meter unit for this.
But main concern I see with my set up is that though with PJ remote, i can turn it Off, Green light is always on on PJ because i can never turn the main power off as control is inside the ceiling.
So, my main questions would be:
--Is this set up normal and do you want me leave as it is ? If i have to extend its power cord through ceiling & extend to floor main power, then i will not be able to utilize the dedicated breaker/power he set it up for PJ. Right?
--Otherwise, what are my options here?
--Or, simply i buy a good quality Surge protector & just plug to that power unit in ceiling without any UPS?

Please help me here as I do not want to run into any power related issues with new PJ if I can fix it now...

thanks a lot in advance
First off it is not exactly kosher to have an outlet concealed in the ceiling. There is some gray area in the case of a drop ceiling as it is accessible though.

There is nothing wrong with having power supplied to the projector full time and the green standby light on. We keep a lot of our AV equipment plugged in and in a standby mode waiting for a signal from the remote controller.

Some place in the room you have all the rest of your equipment and that is where the dedicated circuit should have been run to and where your surge/UPS should have been located. That change over could still be fairly easy to do as you have that dedicated circuit now and it would just require rerouting some stuff. With out seeing the big picture it is hard to say.

Yes you could screw a surge protector above the drop ceiling plug it into the outlet and plug the projector into that and I think it will be safe enough. If I wasn’t going to do the inlet / outlet deal I think I would build that area down to be flush with the drop ceiling so the outlet and surge could be accessible without lifting the ceiling tiles.

Maybe something like this even.
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Single...A4SWSRKW8JEMQ8

Bud
post #9 of 14 Old 05-09-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
If it were me, I would extend that circuit over to my equipment rack.

Not sure what access you have, but if you know how to turn a screwdriver, then you can run power. 120v power in the home is about as easy as it gets. Especially if you already have the circuit in the main circuit breaker cabinet. All you need is a blue box, some romex, and a duplex outlet. Just run the romex between the two locations, wire up the new outlet, cut the power to the existing outlet (double check this!) then wire in the romex to the existing outlet.

I'm not an electrician, but I've done this at least a hundred times when adding power for new TV locations above existing outlet locations on the wall. There are tons of videos that walk you through every step of the process.

If you don't have good access from the ceiling to your equipment rack locations, then that may make running the power wire a bit more difficult. Up to you on that if you want to do it. Probably take a couple of hours of effort to do. But, the hard part is running the wire, not connecting it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-10-2020, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

All,
thank you for all excellent suggestions but I guess my options are very limited at this stage considering COVID situation & cannot call any electrician (i am not that confident to explore any electrical work)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it a good idea to use this surge protector (4000+ Joules rating), mount this piece onto that wooden stud inside ceiling (i attached pics) and then connect this surge protector wire to main power inside ceiling and then PJ cable to this protector?
Yes, i agree this protector is not accessible then from outside but looks like i do not have a choice now.
What are the Pros and Cons of this approach?

thanks in advance
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All,
thank you for all excellent suggestions but I guess my options are very limited at this stage considering COVID situation & cannot call any electrician (i am not that confident to explore any electrical work)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it a good idea to use this surge protector (4000+ Joules rating), mount this piece onto that wooden stud inside ceiling (i attached pics) and then connect this surge protector wire to main power inside ceiling and then PJ cable to this protector?
Yes, i agree this protector is not accessible then from outside but looks like i do not have a choice now.
What are the Pros and Cons of this approach?

thanks in advance
You will be fine taking that approach. Millions of people do far worse things everyday with hooking stuff up. I think I would just go with the little single unit I linked in my post and that will save mounting anything.

I would cut a nice rectangular hole in the ceiling tile that lets me look up and see the test lights and the device plugged in and now IMO that would comply with code as well as being readily accessible.

Many people run projectors everyday plugged straight into outlets and I don’t know how many times I have seen people in schools and offices just pull the plug when done with a presentation. Having a small surge on there will give you a level of protection you don’t have now and only cost you 12 bucks and 10 minutes of work.

Bud
post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
You will be fine taking that approach. Millions of people do far worse things everyday with hooking stuff up. I think I would just go with the little single unit I linked in my post and that will save mounting anything.

I would cut a nice rectangular hole in the ceiling tile that lets me look up and see the test lights and the device plugged in and now IMO that would comply with code as well as being readily accessible.

Many people run projectors everyday plugged straight into outlets and I don’t know how many times I have seen people in schools and offices just pull the plug when done with a presentation. Having a small surge on there will give you a level of protection you don’t have now and only cost you 12 bucks and 10 minutes of work.
Can you pls send me which link you are referring to when you say 'little single unit I linked in my post'? BTW, i searched for all In-wall things but none of them even support more than 1000 Joules and hence I bought this as this claims 4000+ Joules
So, if mounting is the only negative about this & if you believe that 4000+ joules weighs out, then I ll go with mounting unless you have a different opinion please.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

Ok, i found your single protector model in above post but problem with my set up is that as you can see in my pics, main power supply is so low lying inside that ceiling & cannot accomodate any more plugs to it as it will touch that tile down there and hence i was looking for surge bars with cord.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, i found your single protector model in above post but problem with my set up is that as you can see in my pics, main power supply is so low lying inside that ceiling & cannot accomodate any more plugs to it as it will touch that tile down there and hence i was looking for surge bars with cord.
That’s why I suggested cutting the ceiling tile to actually make the surge protector and the outlet “accessible” and to code.

If you already bought the larger one on the back they have keyhole slots for mounting and all you need is two drywall screws spaced the correct distance and you can snap it up there. The only issue will be if you want to check on it you have to pull the tile down. It will work.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page