4k content on 1080p PJ with nividia shield - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blasst
  • 1 Post By gessamit

post #1 of 20 Old 05-17-2020, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4k content on 1080p PJ with nividia shield

hey guys!
i recently got a benq W2000 1080p PJ
is it possible to stream 4k content from kodi using nvidia shield to the PJ? when trying to do so - getting a black screen

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-17-2020, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 121
You have a 1080 projector. Why would you try and feed it a signal it can't project? It's not something like the Optoma hd27hdr that's made to accept a 4k signal for hdr.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 05-19-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar Kleinberg View Post
hey guys!
is it possible to stream 4k content from kodi using nvidia shield to the PJ? when trying to do so - getting a black screen

thx

Put this in your video chain. https://www.hdfury.com/product/linke...600mhz-scaler/

Been using one for years on my 1080p projector, and it works great for downscaling 4K source material to the projector.

If material is native 4K then downscaling will look excellent at 1080p
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
hey guys!

thx
Buy the EZCOO 1x2 splitter. It's great and 10% of the cost of the HDFury. I had the HDFury Vertex and you need to be pretty techie to use it. I sold it and bought the EZCOO. 4K downscaled to 1080P looks better than the same content's 1080P version.

Edit: If you buy it make sure you turn it on with the little switch. It comes with the switch off.

Jack
post #5 of 20 Old 05-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
hey guys!

thx

It should work. You may have to change some video settings within Kodi so it only displays 1080p. I forget how I have my living room setup, but I use a shield there and can view 4k content on a 1080p TV via Kodi. I will check tomorrow.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
hey guys!

thx

I have kodi set to 1080p resolution.
I previously had a 1080p projector in my main setup and was able to display 4k content as well. However, in that instance, I had to disable the HDMI output on the receiver feeding the 4k TV. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-20-2020, 04:59 PM

Wasn't even thinking of outboard devices. So my UHD Sony and CC Ultra will look better on my 1080 JVC going through the HDFury and just sending audio to the receiver? In case of the Sony, better than the 1080 Blu Ray? I've been buying 4k discs mainly because I have my sister setup with a UHD player for her 75" Sony. But if I can benefit from it, I'll pick one up.

post #8 of 20 Old 05-20-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Wasn't even thinking of outboard devices. So my UHD Sony and CC Ultra will look better on my 1080 JVC going through the HDFury and just sending audio to the receiver? In case of the Sony, better than the 1080 Blu Ray? I've been buying 4k discs mainly because I have my sister setup with a UHD player for her 75" Sony. But if I can benefit from it, I'll pick one up.

did you see my post above. Don’t waste you money on an HdFury. Buy the EZCOO for less than thirty. If you aren’t satisfied send it back and buy the Fury.

Jack
post #9 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
did you see my post above. Don’t waste you money on an HdFury. Buy the EZCOO for less than thirty. If you aren’t satisfied send it back and buy the Fury.
Wasn't discounting the EZ. Was more a general question of the downscaling a 4k disc being better than the 1080 blu-ray. I could see the 4k streaming downscaled being better than the 1080 stream.

And do you need to split the hdmi signal for audio and video at that point sending the video from the scaler to the pj and audio to the receiver? Or should the receiver be able to send the better downscaled video to the pj?

Are people using a 4k switch to the scaler in case of multiple 4k sources? For me it'd be a CC Ultra and Sony 4k player.

post #10 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wasn't discounting the EZ. Was more a general question of the downscaling a 4k disc being better than the 1080 blu-ray. I could see the 4k streaming downscaled being better than the 1080 stream.

And do you need to split the hdmi signal for audio and video at that point sending the video from the scaler to the pj and audio to the receiver? Or should the receiver be able to send the better downscaled video to the pj?

Are people using a 4k switch to the scaler in case of multiple 4k sources? For me it'd be a CC Ultra and Sony 4k player.

My setup is Shield TV 4K Out, DTV 1080P Out, UB420 Out to Denon 4K pass thru to EZCOO in port. EZCOO Out is 4K port to JVC X790, 1080P port to Runco Q750i. In actuality I have 2nd EZCOO that splits the 1080P to three HD projector; the Runco, A Marantz 15S1, and my old standby, an LG PF1500.

Jack
post #11 of 20 Old 05-21-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Quote:

The HD Fury Linker I have been using has had no issues at all. I have no experience with the EZCOO JackB has mentioned. Worth a try and see if it works, and if it doesn't work out, then HD Fury will take care of you. Lots of main threads with the different HD Fury products here on AVS. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/
post #12 of 20 Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My setup is Shield TV 4K Out, DTV 1080P Out, UB420 Out to Denon 4K pass thru to EZCOO in port. EZCOO Out is 4K port to JVC X790, 1080P port to Runco Q750i. In actuality I have 2nd EZCOO that splits the 1080P to three HD projector; the Runco, A Marantz 15S1, and my old standby, an LG PF1500.

So your chain has a 4K display (JVCX790) and a 1080p display. I think OP (and I) are looking to see if there's anything that will show 4K source to a 1080p display only - everything in between being 4K HDCP 2.2 compatible. Something that will make the source and other upstream devices "think" they are sending to a 4K display, so they perform accordingly.

Will the EZCOO fit that requirement?
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gessamit View Post
So your chain has a 4K display (JVCX790) and a 1080p display. I think OP (and I) are looking to see if there's anything that will show 4K source to a 1080p display only - everything in between being 4K HDCP 2.2 compatible. Something that will make the source and other upstream devices "think" they are sending to a 4K display, so they perform accordingly.

Will the EZCOO fit that requirement?
Your 1080 projector isn't going to think it's getting 4k material. The EZ is taking that 4k signal and downscaling it to a 1080 signal your pj can understand. The thinking is the 4k signal downscaled to 1080 will give a better picture than the actual 1080 signal.

That's all you're going to get into your pj. You can split the signal at the EZ. Have the EZ down scale the 4k and send the 1080 to your projector and have the other hdmi send the audio to your receiver.

That's my understanding of it. I'm guessing older 4k receivers that aren't hdmi 2.0 will not be able to pass the 4k signal to the EZ or hdfury for down scaling, so you have to split it before the receiver so the receiver only gets audio and the video bypasses the receiver going from your 4k source to the EZ/fury to the projector.

post #14 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Buy the EZCOO 1x2 splitter. It's great and 10% of the cost of the HDFury. I had the HDFury Vertex and you need to be pretty techie to use it. I sold it and bought the EZCOO. 4K downscaled to 1080P looks better than the same content's 1080P version.

Edit: If you buy it make sure you turn it on with the little switch. It comes with the switch off.
Hey, I have the 2019 Shield and Denon 3600 with a 1080p pj. Will this play the atmos streams from Amazon etc...?
post #15 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Your 1080 projector isn't going to think it's getting 4k material. The EZ is taking that 4k signal and downscaling it to a 1080 signal your pj can understand. The thinking is the 4k signal downscaled to 1080 will give a better picture than the actual 1080 signal.

That's all you're going to get into your pj. You can split the signal at the EZ. Have the EZ down scale the 4k and send the 1080 to your projector and have the other hdmi send the audio to your receiver.

That's my understanding of it. I'm guessing older 4k receivers that aren't hdmi 2.0 will not be able to pass the 4k signal to the EZ or hdfury for down scaling, so you have to split it before the receiver so the receiver only gets audio and the video bypasses the receiver going from your 4k source to the EZ/fury to the projector.

Sorry...I meant for the source devices before the PJ to think that display (pj) is 4K. I'm aware that the 1080p pj cannot think itself to get a 4K stream

For example, I have a Fire tv 4k stick and want it to stream a 4K video with Dolby Atmos. For this I select the specific 4K stream in the app, but since my display is not 4K, I've seen it drop to a 1080p stream, losing the Atmos track in the process.

FireTV 4K Stick or Nvidia Shield w/ 4K Atmos stream -> 4K HDCP2.2 Atmos capable AVR -> 1080p pj

Where would the EZ/Fury be placed in above chain to retain the 4K Atmos stream, but still downscale video to 1080p?

With the HDCP2.2 standard, my understanding is that the source app/device has to know/think that the display is 4K capable, otherwise all bets off and source itself downgrades /downscales the stream to 1080p.

Thanks!
post #16 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry...I meant for the source devices before the PJ to think that display (pj) is 4K. I'm aware that the 1080p pj cannot think itself to get a 4K stream

For example, I have a Fire tv 4k stick and want it to stream a 4K video with Dolby Atmos. For this I select the specific 4K stream in the app, but since my display is not 4K, I've seen it drop to a 1080p stream, losing the Atmos track in the process.

FireTV 4K Stick or Nvidia Shield w/ 4K Atmos stream -> 4K HDCP2.2 Atmos capable AVR -> 1080p pj

Where would the EZ/Fury be placed in above chain to retain the 4K Atmos stream, but still downscale video to 1080p?

With the HDCP2.2 standard, my understanding is that the source app/device has to know/think that the display is 4K capable, otherwise all bets off and source itself downgrades /downscales the stream to 1080p.

Thanks!
Since you have a capable receiver the ez/fury would go between the hdmi out on the receiver and the hdmi in on the projector. Your receiver is seeing the 4k signal and will pass it to the ez/fury which will down scale to 1080 and go to your projector.

post #17 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Since you have a capable receiver the ez/fury would go between the hdmi out on the receiver and the hdmi in on the projector. Your receiver is seeing the 4k signal and will pass it to the ez/fury which will down scale to 1080 and go to your projector.

Thank you, dbpaddler! One EZ ordered....will try it out and report back.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Looking forward to your review, thx.
post #19 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Welcome. Mine arrives Monday or Tuesday. My 4k receiver isn't 2.0/2.2 so I'll have to split before and the receiver. Send the video straight to the projector and the audio to the receiver. I didn't get an actual 2x1 for my Ultra and UHD player, but will if it seems worthwhile. Will just set it up with the UHD player for now.

post #20 of 20 Old 05-23-2020, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those interested in the EZCOO, read the Amazon product description in detail. It basically describes how everything works. I’m not sure What happens when going thru my Denon, which is 2.0 and 2.0 compliant, but the source device reads the EDID From the splitter and sends the content to match the reading. So the EZ is telling it that it’s a 4K device. How the whole HDR thing works, I’m not sure. You have to figure this out because from experience I know that HDR passed thru doesn’t work right on 1080P projectors of the older vintage. I think the newer ones that advertise 4K HDR compliance take care of that. AFAIK, the EZ does not.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page