Optoma GT1090HDR First Impression - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Will Melville
  • 1 Post By Will Melville

post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Optoma GT1090HDR First Impression

Received this laser projector today. Coming from a 1080Darbee it is def a step up in noise reduction (almost silent) and brightness. The 4k downscale leaves an extremely crisp picture as well. This does not seem to be a popular projector, maybe lacks 4k? Very little has been discussed, so I wanted to start this topic to resolve that hopefully.

1080p Short Throw Laser Projector

GT1090HDR

• 4,200 ANSI lumens with 300,000:1 contrast ratio
  • 4K UHD input with HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2)
  • 0.50:1 short throw ratio
  • HDR10 and HLG compatible
  • DuraCore maintenance-free laser light source up to 30,000 hours
  • Auto keystone
  • Quiet operation
Exceptional, huge-screen image quality from several feet away
Bring the cinematic experience to space-constrained environments with the incredible 4,200 lumens, 1080p Optoma GT1090HDR laser short throw home theater projector. A short 0.50:1 throw ratio projects incredible 100-inch images from only several feet away.
A DuraCore Laser light source eliminates lamp and filter replacements for up to 30,000 hours of maintenance-free operation with stunning color and image quality throughout the life of the projector. The compact size and low weight make mounting a breeze while its quiet operation ensures the GT1090HDR is seen, not heard.

Tested so far SD and HDR content, 4k input and 1080p input.

Initial feedback:
  • Daytime viewing in a dim room looks almost as good as the 1080 in a dark room
  • Only have tested with a white screen, interested in seeing grey screen performance feedback
  • Displaying HDR content forces mode switch to HDR which takes 5+ seconds and occasionally fails leaving a black screen, switching back to a non-HDR mode takes 10+ seconds and occasionally fails. Sometimes a resync fixes this other times it does not
  • No 120 HZ mode as of yet, firmware coming out this month.
  • Whites are incredible.
  • Colors seem a tad muted, this could just be my limited experience with projectors.
  • Very fast start up (laser)
  • Increasing contrast improves color saturation but whites overpower.
  • Inputs face rear so if you have this short throw in front of you like most will you see the inputs and flashing yellow ethernet light (who thought of that!)
  • non adjustable base, can not adjust feet of the projector to level or raise.

I really wish that HDR mode was more seamless, it seems very glitchy at the moment compared to my HDR monitor. Results are more obvious though which is pleasing. Only first day and still have not used in full darkness, will update more after.
DunMunro and GregK like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Are you using the same HDMI cable for the monitor and the GT1090HDR? Long HDMI cable runs with 4K can be problematic.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Are you using the same HDMI cable for the monitor and the GT1090HDR? Long HDMI cable runs with 4K can be problematic.
No, for testing I plugged a roku streaking stick + directly into the HDMI 2.0 port.
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

seems like all optoma projectors have a problem with extremely long handshake times
post #5 of 7 Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by senjeys View Post
seems like all optoma projectors have a problem with extremely long handshake times
I've never had an Optoma but I'd be very surprised if that's the case? Are you not just talking about all of the newish models based on the 0.47DMD?
All of them have long handshake times, particularly the first versions.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2020, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellhk View Post
I've never had an Optoma but I'd be very surprised if that's the case? Are you not just talking about all of the newish models based on the 0.47DMD?
All of them have long handshake times, particularly the first versions.

From what I have seen first hand the HD27HDR, HD39HDR, and HZ39HDR all have the problem and they are all 0.65. I've seen several other people with this problem as well. OP is saying his GT1090HDR has the same issue.

Maybe it is just the 0.65 units.

Also I was able to get 1080p120 4:4:4 RGB working on my HZZ39HDR with CRU. I'm not sure about the GT1090HDR, but the HZ39HDR there is only one HDR mode, and it tuned to BC8 I believe out of the box. Since it is a 4 segment wheel, the brilliantcolor boosts the yellows, so you can't just turn it down without having to calibrate all of the other colors. Also high values of brilliantcolor on the HZ39HDR projector seems to cause tons of banding and other color other issues. I'm just sticking with SDR SRGB for nighttime viewing. Nighttime viewing looks super good with the ND8 filter I ordered and MadVR HDR to SDR mapping. I'm assuming the GT1090HDR is more or less the short throw version of the HZ39HDR which is why I'm discussing it here
post #7 of 7 Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by senjeys View Post
From what I have seen first hand the HD27HDR, HD39HDR, and HZ39HDR all have the problem and they are all 0.65. I've seen several other people with this problem as well. OP is saying his GT1090HDR has the same issue.

Maybe it is just the 0.65 units.

Also I was able to get 1080p120 4:4:4 RGB working on my HZZ39HDR with CRU. I'm not sure about the GT1090HDR, but the HZ39HDR there is only one HDR mode, and it tuned to BC8 I believe out of the box. Since it is a 4 segment wheel, the brilliantcolor boosts the yellows, so you can't just turn it down without having to calibrate all of the other colors. Also high values of brilliantcolor on the HZ39HDR projector seems to cause tons of banding and other color other issues. I'm just sticking with SDR SRGB for nighttime viewing. Nighttime viewing looks super good with the ND8 filter I ordered and MadVR HDR to SDR mapping. I'm assuming the GT1090HDR is more or less the short throw version of the HZ39HDR which is why I'm discussing it here
Ah ok, I did try and check which one this had before replying but was struggling to find confirmation anywhere. In some ways if it's just on HDR content then you're lucky, as on my TK800 and all the other 0.47 projectors the handshake process is long and drawn out regardless of what signal you send it!
It just seemed strange to me when you suggested it was more of an issue with Optomas.

IMO it's not a surprise about 1080p 120hz, it's just finally with HDMI 2.0 we are starting to see the other benefits of DLP. Thanks for confirming though. I can't get my TK800 working with 1080p frame sequential 3dm hence my interest in other displays and 120hz. DLPs have been operating at 120Hz+ for ages, but the display interfaces and other standards have been holding it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
bright , Gaming , gt1090hdr , laser

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page