1Likes
  • 1 Post By noob00224

post #1 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BenQ HT3550 and PC Gaming...

Hey all, it's been a while but it seems to be upgrade time again and as usual I don't know **** so it's off to AVSforum I go...

Anyway, as someone who games on his projector and who has a crippling budget I've been really struggling to find an upgrade for my BenQ w1070. I pretty much had my mind set on the BenQ HT3550 as it's gotten great reviews and it's at a price I can afford. Unfortunately I just found out it has a response time of 53ms which is roughly twice that of the w1070.

I'm not a competitive gamer by any means and while I do play a lot of First Person Shooters (and driving games) I only ever play single player... I don't play any multiplayer at all so I'm wondering if I should risk it or not? There really doesn't seem to be any other options in this price category without taking a major step down in picture quality, especially black levels. My only other option seems to be the Epson 5050ub at twice the price if I want to keep (or in this case improve) the picture quality and I just can't afford that.

Have any of you done any non-competitive but reasonably fast paced gaming on your HT3550s and how was your experience?

My primary gaming source is a newly built Ryzen 5 3600 on a GTX1080. I plan on picking up a RTX3080 when they drop later this year.
I also have a PS4 Pro and will likey get a PS5 within the first 6 months of launch.

My System: BenQ w1070 - Denon x4300H
Paradigm Studio 20s v5 - CC-590 - ADP-590 - Sub-12
PS4 Pro
HTPC: Ryzen 5 3600x - 32GB DDR4-3600 - GTX1080 - 24TB of storage for movies/TV/Music

Last edited by Gryfter; 05-20-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: I can't type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfter View Post
Hey all, it's been a while but it seems to be upgrade time again and as usual I don't know **** so it's off to AVSforum I go...

Anyway, as someone who games on his projector and who has a crippling budget I've been really struggling to find an upgrade for my BenQ w1070. I pretty much had my mind set on the BenQ HT3550 as it's gotten great reviews and it's at a price I can afford. Unfortunately I just found out it has a response time of 53ms which is roughly twice that of the w1070.

I'm not a competitive gamer by any means and while I do play a lot of First Person Shooters (and driving games) I only ever play single player... I don't play any multiplayer at all so I'm wondering if I should risk it or not? There really doesn't seem to be any other options in this price category without taking a major step down in picture quality, especially black levels. My only other option seems to be the Epson 5050ub at twice the price if I want to keep (or in this case improve) the picture quality and I just can't afford that.

Have any of you done any non-competitive but reasonably fast paced gaming on your HT3550s and how was your experience?

My primary gaming source is a newly built Ryzen 5 3600 on a GTX1080. I plan on picking up a RTX3080 when they drop later this year.
I also have a PS4 Pro and will likey get a PS5 within the first 6 months of launch.
Epson HC3800:

LE:
Ask @DaGamePimp who's had both.

Gryfter likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 05-20-2020 at 07:45 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Thanks noob00224. It's on my list, I just so liked the specs of HT3550 but that input lag is a killer so I'll probably end up going with the 3800.

I would still like to hear from gamers who own this projector... assuming there are any. lol

PS4 Pro
HTPC: Ryzen 5 3600x - 32GB DDR4-3600 - GTX1080 - 24TB of storage for movies/TV/Music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Thanks noob00224. It's on my list, I just so liked the specs of HT3550 but that input lag is a killer so I'll probably end up going with the 3800.

I would still like to hear from gamers who own this projector... assuming there are any. lol
Maybe ask in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59682120
post #5 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

So I'm the gamer from the second video that did the comparison and I don't have the HT3550 but if you're doing FPS and you have a rig you should consider quite a few things

1. First and foremost. What does your room look like? Can you black it out?
That HT3550 needs a daaark room from what I've read but will reward you with crisp beautiful colors. Either of the two machines I own are "Daytime" projectors who's light output is enhanced some way or another
The 3LCD leads my daytime "contrast" but the UHD50x is just as legible, if a bit more washed out.

2. HT3550 like you said is going to have >45ms which you are going to feel. The Epson is 26ms and Optoma on "enhanced" mode is like 15ms which are both really almost monitor level good. Caveat is the UHD50x has to drop its rez (from my viewing experience) to get the DLP machine from the 50ms normal response time to the 15ms enhanced... It's doing some some image cleaning but it really doesn't look like the same resolution to me.
They're both a wash in the end because of other factors... but don't discount either of these machines just know the optoma has to shift gears for gaming
Here's where you come in though... Idk if I have a machine that will source me 240hz... That may be something important to you having a physical refresh rate for screen above 60hz but it never was important as input lag (for me)

3. Movies and TV too? Consider both and that also I figured out the Optoma is a little better for Cable TV (or youtube live other live streaming). No clue why 100% but it came out cleaner. Optoma must do some upscaling efforts with <1080p
Movies on the Epson though... 100% because of the contrast/colors. That's honestly what is still keeping me weighed towards Epson too even more than games

4. Motion and other effects. DLP can induce "rainbow" effects and 3LCD are known for "motion blur" which both now have various options to counter... example the Epson has a fast mode for image processing and the UHD has a white segment in its wheel which (for me) totally eliminated any random flashes. You'd need a high speed camera (which again I did lol) to capture the individual colors

Over all both are remarkable machines but I prefer more color output, contrast, and ease of placement. I didn't know that's what I wanted but now I do... if that makes sense

My Rig :)
Samsung UN65HU8550 -TS01
Onkyo TXNR809
Adcom GFA-555
Martin Logan Aeon i - DefTech CS8060hd - Klipsch Reference RW-12D - B&W SCM8
Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Making sure everybody plays nicely)

Last edited by Trapani; 05-20-2020 at 09:44 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapani View Post
So I'm the gamer from the second video that did the comparison and I don't have the HT3550 but if you're doing FPS and you have a rig you should consider quite a few things

1. First and foremost. What does your room look like? Can you black it out?
That HT3550 needs a daaark room from what I've read but will reward you with crisp beautiful colors. Either of the two machines I own are "Daytime" projectors who's light output is enhanced some way or another
The 3LCD leads my daytime "contrast" but the UHD50x is just as legible, if a bit more washed out.

2. HT3550 like you said is going to have >45ms which you are going to feel. The Epson is 26ms and Optoma on "enhanced" mode is like 15ms which are both really almost monitor level good. Caveat is the UHD50x has to drop its rez (from my viewing experience) to get the DLP machine from the 50ms normal response time to the 15ms enhanced... It's doing some some image cleaning but it really doesn't look like the same resolution to me.
They're both a wash in the end because of other factors... but don't discount either of these machines just know the optoma has to shift gears for gaming
Here's where you come in though... Idk if I have a machine that will source me 240hz... That may be something important to you having a physical refresh rate for screen above 60hz but it never was important as input lag (for me)

3. Movies and TV too? Consider both and that also I figured out the Optoma is a little better for Cable TV (or youtube live other live streaming). No clue why 100% but it came out cleaner. Optoma must do some upscaling efforts with <1080p
Movies on the Epson though... 100% because of the contrast/colors. That's honestly what is still keeping me weighed towards Epson too even more than games

4. Motion and other effects. DLP can induce "rainbow" effects and 3LCD are known for "motion blur" which both now have various options to counter... example the Epson has a fast mode for image processing and the UHD has a white segment in its wheel which (for me) totally eliminated any random flashes. You'd need a high speed camera (which again I did lol) to capture the individual colors

Over all both are remarkable machines but I prefer more color output, contrast, and ease of placement. I didn't know that's what I wanted but now I do... if that makes sense
My projector is in the living room with two windows, one small one in the front door and one large one covered by blackout curtains behind the projector.
I don't watch cable TV and any shows I do watch are streamed/downloaded onto my PC. My movies are all either 4k disc or fully ripped onto my server and played back via Media Player Classic-BE

Right now I just want something that will be better than the w1070 in dark scenes and will be able to take advantage of 4k and HDR material. I'll probably still do most of my gaming at 1440p and as long as my games are locked at 60fps I'm happy.

PS4 Pro
post #7 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 220
There's a lot of great advice here already.

Here's a few of my observances coming from an Epson 8350 to the BenQ 3550. I'm also a casual gamer.

Back in the day I played a ton of Warhawk, but that game has been dead since I got the BenQ a year ago. These days I don't spend a lot of time playing games, but the games I have spent some time playing are Assassin's Creed Origins, Gran Turismo, and lately Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. When I made the switch from Epson to BenQ, I did notice the lag. This lasted for perhaps a week or two, but I did get used to it and don't notice it at all anymore. Take that with a grain of salt, your mileage may vary. Not sure if your brain gets "rewired" a bit, but I really don't notice any lag, at least on the games that I play.

I was really worried about going to DLP after having an LCD projector for so many years. I had heard about the rainbow effect, but never had a chance to view DLP in action so didn't know if I was sensitive to it. It turns out that I'm either not at all sensitive to it, or the 3550 is really good at what it does. I have never noticed any rainbows. To this day, the clarity and colors of this projector continue to impress me. As far as brightness goes, I've never understood those who think this projector isn't bright. I run it in D.Cinema and eco mode and find it's plenty bright even in it's darkest modes. Granted, I have light controlled room.

As far as placement, the BenQ doesn't have near the flexibility that the Epson had. In my case, I already was able to center the projector properly, so the lack of adjustability of the BenQ didn't matter.

Best of luck with your decision!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
There's a lot of great advice here already.

Here's a few of my observances coming from an Epson 8350 to the BenQ 3550. I'm also a casual gamer.

Back in the day I played a ton of Warhawk, but that game has been dead since I got the BenQ a year ago. These days I don't spend a lot of time playing games, but the games I have spent some time playing are Assassin's Creed Origins, Gran Turismo, and lately Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. When I made the switch from Epson to BenQ, I did notice the lag. This lasted for perhaps a week or two, but I did get used to it and don't notice it at all anymore. Take that with a grain of salt, your mileage may vary. Not sure if your brain gets "rewired" a bit, but I really don't notice any lag, at least on the games that I play.

I was really worried about going to DLP after having an LCD projector for so many years. I had heard about the rainbow effect, but never had a chance to view DLP in action so didn't know if I was sensitive to it. It turns out that I'm either not at all sensitive to it, or the 3550 is really good at what it does. I have never noticed any rainbows. To this day, the clarity and colors of this projector continue to impress me. As far as brightness goes, I've never understood those who think this projector isn't bright. I run it in D.Cinema and eco mode and find it's plenty bright even in it's darkest modes. Granted, I have light controlled room.

As far as placement, the BenQ doesn't have near the flexibility that the Epson had. In my case, I already was able to center the projector properly, so the lack of adjustability of the BenQ didn't matter.

Best of luck with your decision!
3 of my favorite games, I'm currently playing Fallen Order. You should play AC Odyssey if Origins didn't burn you out.

If I end up with the 3550 I'll literally be pulling down the w1070 and replacing it using the same mount so placement shouldn't be an issue with either projector.
I pretty much leave the 1070 in cinema mode full time which is just under 900 lumens and I've been fine with it so it's unlikely the 3550 will be any different.
I never noticed the rainbow effect with my 1070 so I should be all good there.

PS4 Pro
post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Those that are not already playing on a ~16ms display, the HT3550 is not likely to bother you.

Now if you are accustomed to gaming on a 16 - 24ms (or lower) display then the HT3550 is not a unit that I would recommend for competitive gamers (especially those that play MP online FPS games frequently).

I am not implying that you cannot game on the HT3550, it's just that there are much better 'gaming' projectors out there.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #10 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I am not implying that you cannot game on the HT3550, it's just that there are much better 'gaming' projectors out there.

- Jason

Agreed but not with the image quality. It seems we can have a good gaming projector or a good film projector but not both until you break the $3k barrier. I guess I'm still deciding which one I want.

Again, not a "pro" gamer. I don't do multiplayer at all but my current projector is 24ms and historically all my PC monitors, before I did the gaming HTPC thing were 6ms or less.

PS4 Pro
post #11 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Agreed but not with the image quality. It seems we can have a good gaming projector or a good film projector but not both until you break the $3k barrier. I guess I'm still deciding which one I want.

Again, not a "pro" gamer. I don't do multiplayer at all but my current projector is 24ms and historically all my PC monitors, before I did the gaming HTPC thing were 6ms or less.
As long as you are prepared for a different gaming experience (a trade-off), being a pro gamer is not required to notice 2x the lag.

Best of luck,
Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:

To get the best out of a projector like the UHD50X, it probably works best with large, lower gain, grey screens. I thought the Viewsonic PX-747-4k, for example, worked quite well on my ~145in low gain grey screen. I reviewed it in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58093360

Last edited by DunMunro; 05-22-2020 at 01:02 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
To get the best out of a projector like the UHD50X, it probably works best with large, lower gain, grey screens. I thought the Viewsonic PX-747-4k, for example, worked quite well on my ~145in low gain grey screen. I reviewed it in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post58093360
I've already got a screen, thanks though.

PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page