• 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 2 Old 05-21-2020, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is my projector dead?

I have an Optoma HD131xe that has been acting up the past few days...

First, it had a "flicker" episode where the picture would have a rainbow flicker over the entire image, not just 1 small spot. It didn't last long - it would flicker back-and-forth (with the "rainbow image") for a duration of ~30 seconds, and then stopped. I had an issue with dust in the unit once previously, and therefore turned on "High Altitude" mode to see if the fans would "clean out" the inside of the housing. The flicker eventually stopped.

Then, a few days / hours of use after that, the projector itself started making a buzzing noise. It was mostly a constant buzz, but sometimes it would intensify for a few mins and become inconsistent, and then go back to being consistent. The "rainbow image" issue didn't happen again. I again turned on "High Altitude" mode for a little, thinking maybe there was something inside the unit causing this buzz, and hopeful that the fan could blow it out. Sometimes the buzzing would become more "aggressive" sounding, and after being on "High Altitude" mode for a few mins it would go back to a softer, consistent sounding buzz.

Now, as the buzzing has just become the norm, the "rainbow flicker" came back a few times...and then the projector just shut itself off entirely. Once it turned off, the fan kicked on high speed, and it (I assume) attempted to restart itself. No picture ever came back on; just a constant buzzing that was different than the one I heard while it was still working. Then it shut itself off again, and then tried to turn back on again but only produced a buzz, then went through this cycle yet again, etc.

Is this an indication that the projector is dead? While it is obviously several years old, it really doesn't have that much time on it...only 1,610 hours, which I've read is about 1/2 of it's expected life. It was used for probably ~1,000-1,200 hours when first purchased, then put away in storage (sealed in its original box so no dust or contaminants could get to it) until earlier this year, and has been used consistently since then, again. Additionally, the projector has ALWAYS only ever been run on Eco mode. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 702
You have a failing color wheel. This is one of the easier repairs. Lack of use most likely caused the premature failure of the wheel. The oil in the bearings of the color wheel deteriorated. Taking it out and lubing it may bring it back to life or replacing it your self should cost under $100.
KtrainHurricane likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page