Display advice requested - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-22-2020, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Display advice requested

I am evaluating video display options for a large room (4000 cubic feet). The room has windows (black out shades are possible).

Seating distance is 14 feet from front wall, RTINGS suggests 100-135 inch display (diagonal).

Initially considered 85 inch Samsung or Sony, but now I am for the first time considering projection.

Budget is less than $4000 (projector and screen).

Local Home Theater installer recommends Epson. The Epson's offer good contrast but I'm concerned that the brightness is too low (2600 lumens) and the noise to high (31 dB).

I appreciate input from more experienced persons. Is projector or flat panel better option? Recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWgoofy View Post
I am evaluating video display options for a large room (4000 cubic feet). The room has windows (black out shades are possible).

Seating distance is 14 feet from front wall, RTINGS suggests 100-135 inch display (diagonal).

Initially considered 85 inch Samsung or Sony, but now I am for the first time considering projection.

Budget is less than $4000 (projector and screen).

Local Home Theater installer recommends Epson. The Epson's offer good contrast but I'm concerned that the brightness is too low (2600 lumens) and the noise to high (31 dB).

I appreciate input from more experienced persons. Is projector or flat panel better option? Recommendation?
Absolutely get blackout blinds.

Treat the room:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

The projector should be used on the screen for a while before deciding on the screen. General ratio is 10-12" for every foot in distance, so 140 to 168".

Maybe reduce the viewing position distance.

If the 14' is fixed get the Epson HC3700 or HC3800 for 4K. The 5040UB (1080p and can do 4K) or 5050UB might also work. The 5040UB's HDR is not great and something like a Panasonic UB420/820/9000. It also has a 10GB HDMI which limits 4K HDR use with certain apps.

The 5000 series has better blacks/contrast than the 3000 series, but less bright.

Use this calculator:
https://webprojectorcalculator.com/

SDR recommendation is ~15fL, bur realistically more since lamps dim. For HDR something like 25-30fL.

With a screen that size it's very recommended to get a positive gain screen, something like 1.3 gain. But screens in that size and that gain are very expensive. The solution is paint mixes. Paint mixes can also improve blacks and picture quality.

Any sports or gaming?
post #3 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 677
That's a really tough question. The only true advantage of a projector is screen size. There are other things like reflected light is more natural then the harsh light coming from a direct view display but this is controversial and in the eyes of the beholder. It really come down to light control. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WATCH IN THE DARK/SEMI DARK GET A TV. A UST projector with an ALR screen is kind of a median device between conventional longer throw front projection and a TV. They can be more tolerant with ambient light to some extent but their draw backs are more expensive then conventional projection and still have the same flaws with even less options.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice.

Sorry to not include in OP... I watch mostly movies streamed from Apple 4K TV. Some television shows, Some movies from disks.
No gaming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page