1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert Hamilton

post #1 of 15 Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
projector for church

I know my way around computers, AV is a new realm for me.
I'm helping my church go digital and need help with a projector on as reasonable as we can.

37 ft throw distance
needs about 6000 lumens due to it being in bright setting
Screen width 10ft, height up to 9ft (so 225"?)
We also need to be able to have it act wirelessly even if we have to buy an adapter.
It will be mostly be used for very large words, say max 10 words a line and 4 to 5 lines a page with some images.

A representative we called in recommended a Epson Pro G7000w with an ELPLS04 lens, then quoted us over $5000

Can you learned people recommend something that our budget might be able to afford a bit easier but still do the job?
All thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-26-2020, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hamilton View Post
I know my way around computers, AV is a new realm for me.
I'm helping my church go digital and need help with a projector on as reasonable as we can.

37 ft throw distance
needs about 6000 lumens due to it being in bright setting
Screen width 10ft, height up to 9ft (so 225"?)
We also need to be able to have it act wirelessly even if we have to buy an adapter.
It will be mostly be used for very large words, say max 10 words a line and 4 to 5 lines a page with some images.

A representative we called in recommended a Epson Pro G7000w with an ELPLS04 lens, then quoted us over $5000

Can you learned people recommend something that our budget might be able to afford a bit easier but still do the job?
All thanks.
How do you know the amount of lumens required?

Have you used a projector in that setup previously? If so what model?

How bright is the screen area, any direct light hitting the screen?

Last edited by noob00224; 05-26-2020 at 11:56 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What is your budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

We know lumens based on having a 4000 lumen projector on a rolling cart in the middle of everyone's way that is about 15 ft from wall being not quite bright enough. Hopeful budget was $2000, but that was an uneducated guess.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
We know lumens based on having a 4000 lumen projector on a rolling cart in the middle of everyone's way that is about 15 ft from wall being not quite bright enough. Hopeful budget was $2000, but that was an uneducated guess.
Just because it claims 4000 lumens it does not mean it has them. What's the model?
post #6 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Epson powerlite 1880
post #7 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
You really should speak to someone who knows projectors, because you are saying a LOT of things which just aren't realistic and may have a setup which requires you to simply throw out every single thing you think you know and stop saying 'THIS IS WHAT WE NEED AND THIS IS OUR BUDGET', because if you want things to work right, you need to just stop. That is, make a list of your WANTS, your DESIRES, and your BUDGET, then accept that you may not get all of them.

START: Projectors are like TVs. You don't go into Best Buy and say "HEY! I love that TV, but can you give it to me with the same width, but 12" taller?"
Projectors are a fixed aspect ratio. Most often these days, in the commercial world, they will be 16:10 aspect ratio. A very good resolution is 1920x1200 for commercial displays. It is high resolution without being ridiculously high and impossible for people to read. 4K in the commercial market place is stupid, stupid, stupid in almost all cases.

So, if you get a 16:10 projector, and you want a screen 10' wide (DO YOU KNOW THAT IS THE PROPER SIZE EVEN? HOW DO YOU KNOW?), then your 10' wide screen will be about 75" tall. It will NOT be 9' tall. It can NOT be 9' tall. So, throw that out the door. You could search (and find) a 4:3 XGA projector (1025x768 resolution), but that is truly reaching back about 20 years in technology to demand obsolescence and nobody worth their weight will let you buy into this.

Generally, the rule, under normal indoor lighting, is to have about 80 lumens per square foot of screen space for best results with PowerPoint type presentations.
10' wide is a screen of surface area: 62.5 square feet. At 80 lumens a square foot: You are right at 5,000 lumens. If you've done the actual math on a 4,000 lumen projector not being enough, then I expect that you may be happy with any projector that can deliver a true 5,000 lumens or higher, and more than happy at 6,000 lumens.

I would go with LCD, period. They deliver the color brightness you need and are more consistent in their delivery of a bright image.

Now, the fun part: You have a long throw distance, demand wireless, and a ridiculous budget.

Just search! Make a requirement for your search 6,000 lumens, 1920x1200 resolution, LCD projection, and that it.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=%24&sz=15#top

The LEAST expensive model is running $3,500.

Now, because you demand that the projector is 37 feet from the screen, you will not only need a projector with interchangeable lenses, but you will need a long throw lens for that projector. That's going to be $1,000 all by itself. That's reality. So, there's what you would consider half your budget.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=%24&sz=15#top

NOW!

DARN IT!!!!

Let's look for a value and get you there... Check the Epson Refurb website and you get something like this...
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/P...p/V11H735020-N

With this model, you would need the Epson Middle Long Zoom lens, ELPLM10.
https://www.audiogeneral.com/store/p...view/0600-6102

Which, in the real world, all in, is about $3,500.

Oh, and wireless projection is crap. You will need power at the projector location, and you should plan to wire a PC and provide a laptop connection or two to the projector using cat-5e extenders. They are a few hundred dollars each.

You will need a decent screen for this as well, if you don't have it already.

Then an installer than knows what they are doing.

I don't see this all happening for a lot less than $10,000. But, for the projector itself, with your long throw distance, you are stuck at a minimal price of $3,500 because of your throw distance.
If you could mount the projector within the range of the 'standard' lens, then the refurbished projector ships with it at your target price.

So, something needs to give. Your throw distance is the one that gives you the capability to hit your budget. Or, move the budget, and you can hit your throw distance.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I can break this down a little : I don't have to have an image size of 10ft wide by 9ft tall, that is the screen size and the max image size.
I onlt have 2 places I can mount the projector: the wall 37ft from the screen, or about 2 feet from the wall where everyone walks. In the middle I have a 50ft ceiling and pews.
these are my known factors. The rest of the equipment already present for service is already run wirelessly from our laptop over the network.
have I missed anything else needed to clarify?
post #9 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that the $2000 was our original guess based on paying about $1500 a little while ago on the other projector. We didn't know truly what to expect.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Whelp, now you do. Not sure how you managed to score your current projector if it was new and able to hit that 10' width from 37' lens to screen for $1,500. That's extremely low for anything new with a required long throw lens.

You will need to dig into how you are currently presenting from the laptop over the network as if what you have works already, then it may still keep working.

It would be helpful to know what you are using now and how you are presenting.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
I’m just going to throw out an idea.

Is it or would it be possible to mount the projector from a pole extending up from the floor and high enough to not obstruct the people walking or seated but not so low people would be able to touch it. lets say 8’ up in the air. This would be similar to the cart setup you are now using except a fixed install and not be in the road.

This would get you into a cheaper high lumen business projector and maybe be a work around.

Bud
post #12 of 15 Old 05-28-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Had not thought about the "pole" idea. That would definitely be preferable to the cart in the middle of the pews we have right now. It is currently right in the way about 15ft from the wall to get good image as noted above. I will review that idea with the council. Thanks for the creative thinking.
bud16415 likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
business projectors meet your budget but not your install distance. i have seen some churches that use two screens/projectors(one per side) so the center focus wasnt obscured.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #14 of 15 Old 05-28-2020, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, this would be for one side. Doing center would be putting image through the cross, and a 45 ft distance from back wall with the main entrance and center walkway to get through to all pews there. We are expecting slow reopen, so fill one side first (spread out fill).
post #15 of 15 Old 05-29-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Had not thought about the "pole" idea. That would definitely be preferable to the cart in the middle of the pews we have right now. It is currently right in the way about 15ft from the wall to get good image as noted above. I will review that idea with the council. Thanks for the creative thinking.
YW
I know I go into some churches and look up and there is a very expensive large venue projector 50’ in the air and as much as I love projection I always see myself up there on shaky scaffolding working on the thing and how a ten minute lamp change might take a whole weekend to set up and do. Maybe I watched The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965) too many times when I was young.

For me the poles if done correctly wouldn’t be a huge distraction and servicing the projectors would just take a step ladder. I can picture cables run under the pews and the pole being lined up with the seat back of the end seat.

Some projectors have 4way keystone and if you have that feature the projectors could even be more to the sides and less in the line of sight.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page