Fengmi (峰米) 4K Cinema Pro (Laser UST 2020) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Fengmi (峰米) 4K Cinema Pro (Laser UST 2020)

New Pro model available 5/2020. Updates: Same low price as last years model under at under $2K. Higher ANSI Lumens (2400 Vs. 1700), New grill and new OS dubbed FengOS. Also "new chipset ( Amlogic T972 chip with a maximum clock frequency of 1.9GHz) comes with 63% more performance and 55% less power compared to the Amlogic T962 chip used in the previous model"

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/27/...799-yuan-1785/

It seems like a better priced($1785+ versus $2300+) A300 with about same lumens, a new OS, and chipset that supports 8K decoding. Hopefully there are even more goodies in the new update. More info to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wonder how it compares with Wemax A300.
post #3 of 39 Old 06-17-2020, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Here's a (sorta) first review...

Casey_Bryson likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 06-17-2020, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Here's a (sorta) first review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_8uAeP9bw
More like a preview that just barely showed off the new OS, but we did find out it has MEMC and Android 9.0. Guess we'll just have to wait for the finer details we're really looking forward to.
Brajesh likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 06-17-2020, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looks nice, but the image projected is SUPER high up? what UST 4k projector out there has the lowest measured distance from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the projected image?

Optoma GT1080 @ 120" diagonal
Bose Lifestyle 25 Series II
post #6 of 39 Old 06-21-2020, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been wading through the sea of Chinese Laser UST Projectors and finally bit the bullet on this bad boy. Good price I think and got a 10% discount code on top.

Purchased as a presale from bangood using coupon BGAFF10OFF

I'll post my thoughts on it once it arrives.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-22-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanLegend View Post
looks nice, but the image projected is SUPER high up? what UST 4k projector out there has the lowest measured distance from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the projected image?
I'm not 100% sure but I think the LG HU85L has the lowest vertical offset. Usually this is measured from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image projected, but in terms of bottom of projector to bottom of screen it has 15.5 inches for a 120" screen and 13.6 for a 100" screen. The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are 17.5 for 120" screen, not sure on 100", but I'm assuming a couple inches off that figure. The Optoma P1 is, IIRC, 19.5 for 120", but their lenses fluctuate greatly between units so it could vary wildly--a few inches here or there.

I think Optoma got it right for a larger screen and that incorporates your typical 5.1 or more home theater with a center channel speaker, but LG got it right for those only wanting a sound bar, but too bad they didn't get the rest right (sound and image versus cost). The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are probably right in the sweet spot between the two-close enough for 100" screens, but you can still have a center speaker between projector and screen for 120" and higher.

EDIT: Here's what happens when you have a lower vertical offset and a center channel. The center channel is higher, but so is the screen. Credit @Run and Gun :

UST's are meant to be placed on or close to the floor with a CLR screen. Until the furniture market starts supporting UST's you're going to see a lot of people put them on their existing console that was designed for a TV, resulting in an image way to high for the bottom third to be at the viewer's eye.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 06-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.
post #8 of 39 Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think the LG HU85L has the lowest vertical offset. Usually this is measured from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image projected, but in terms of bottom of projector to bottom of screen it has 15.5 inches for a 120" screen and 13.6 for a 100" screen. The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are 17.5 for 120" screen, not sure on 100", but I'm assuming a couple inches off that figure. The Optoma P1 is, IIRC, 19.5 for 120", but their lenses fluctuate greatly between units so it could vary wildly--a few inches here or there.

I think Optoma got it right for a larger screen and that incorporates your typical 5.1 or more home theater with a center channel speaker, but LG got it right for those only wanting a sound bar, but too bad they didn't get the rest right (sound and image versus cost). The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are probably right in the sweet spot between the two-close enough for 100" screens, but you can still have a center speaker between projector and screen for 120" and higher.

EDIT: Here's what happens when you have a lower vertical offset and a center channel. The center channel is higher, but so is the screen. Credit @Run and Gun :

UST's are meant to be placed on or close to the floor with a CLR screen. Until the furniture market starts supporting UST's you're going to see a lot of people put them on their existing console that was designed for a TV, resulting in an image way to high for the bottom third to be at the viewer's eye.
Thank you so much for those figures! it's so hard to find them in one place.. I'd like a minimal vertical offset, but I'll just remove my desk from the front of my room entirely if i got UST.. Sadly the LG is way out of my price range.. the Xiaomi/Fengmi is more my price, and yes i have my own desk setup in the front of my room, but I'll be willing to remove it and setup a custom height small stand to accomodate filling my entire screen size, as having my 120" wall/screen go from 1080p to 4K would be AMAZING and would hold me off on upgrading for another 7+ years hopefully, until 8k content and projectors are under 2,000$ someday..

Optoma GT1080 @ 120" diagonal
Bose Lifestyle 25 Series II
post #9 of 39 Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
A french site called passioncinema Fr has a great overview on this and other similar chinese brands. I usually use google translate off of chrome to read the reviews. I recommend checking it out!

- XK
post #10 of 39 Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK_HT View Post
A french site called passioncinema Fr has a great overview on this and other similar chinese brands. I usually use google translate off of chrome to read the reviews. I recommend checking it out!

- XK
Great site and it's true for the 2019 version. The 2020 Pro has yet to be reviewed. I think a few vendors are taking pre-purchases and getting a shipment in late July. I haven't checked with Stephen Lou (sales for Fengmi), but since Nothingbutlabel in Australia (or New Zealand I forget) has one it likely can be ordered directly from the manufacturer Fengmi or Nothingbutlabel and received much earlier.
post #11 of 39 Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Apparently this Pro version does not support 3D function :-(
post #12 of 39 Old 06-30-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
Apparently this Pro version does not support 3D function :-(
It is a hardware issue so might never support 3d.
post #13 of 39 Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambanja View Post
It is a hardware issue so might never support 3d.
Where are you two getting your info? If there's no 3D I'm definitely out, but all the listings I've seen have show 4K 3D even if the ads don't highlight it as a feature. I do see HDR10+ so that's new.

UPDATE: I just saw the comments from NothingbutLabel on their video. It doesn't support it now unless an update changes it. Sounds like nothing official, but vendors selling it sure seem to think it's coming.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 07-01-2020 at 11:20 PM.
post #14 of 39 Old 07-01-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Where are you two getting your info? If there's no 3D I'm definitely out, but all the listings I've seen have show 4K 3D even if the ads don't highlight it as a feature. I do see HDR10+ so that's new.

UPDATE: I just saw the comments from NothingbutLabel on their video. It doesn't support it now unless an update changes it. Sounds like nothing official, but vendors selling it sure seem to think it's coming.

I got this info from a vendor in China. He seemed to know what he was saying.
post #15 of 39 Old 07-03-2020, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim worley View Post
I've been wading through the sea of Chinese Laser UST Projectors and finally bit the bullet on this bad boy. Good price I think and got a 10% discount code on top.

Purchased as a presale from bangood using coupon BGAFF10OFF

I'll post my thoughts on it once it arrives.
Same here, worked out £1475.41, seems to have come at the right time as I was looking at the A300 which was coming out quite a bit more

Suppose only time will tell if going in early actually pays off
post #16 of 39 Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 AM

I cant post the link to youtube because I haven't got enough posts but if you search, this has been posted in the last couple of hours and blew my mind, is it real?

2020 Fengmi 4K Cinema PRO Opening Box First Impression

Wow

Last edited by prwilliams1982; 07-03-2020 at 08:38 AM.
post #17 of 39 Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwilliams1982 View Post
I cant post the link to youtube because I haven't got enough posts but if you search, this has been posted in the last couple of hours and blew my mind, is it real?

2020 Fengmi 4K Cinema PRO Opening Box First Impression

Wow

I saw it and was underwhelmed by the youtube video. I expected a proper unboxing and review. Could have been a doctored footage who knows if its the Fengmi pro,

dreamstate likes this.
post #18 of 39 Old 07-05-2020, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Getting mine today!

Anything you would like to see and know? I am newbie on this, got no proper screen either, will buy in a month or so.
prwilliams1982 likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettu View Post
Getting mine today!

Anything you would like to see and know? I am newbie on this, got no proper screen either, will buy in a month or so.

Well now that you’ve asked.

Black levels?
Lights on viewing?
Input lag would be nice to know if possible?
Fan noise or any other noise?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 39 Old 07-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Getting mine today!

Can you do an unboxing video and then let us know:

1. Picture quality
2. Noise level/fan noise
3. Any 3D feature and how it performs
4. Distance from back of projector to screen for 120 inch size screen
post #21 of 39 Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Getting mine today!

I would like to know how you navigate the Chinese menus.
post #22 of 39 Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 AM

Turns out they lied about the delivery, this time it should be tomorrow, I will try to answer all your requests, but my only fear is that I do not have any equipment to measure anything, so it will all be eyeballing lol. The ones im hoping to confirm easily is, if it works at 100v since im in Japan and if the coil whine still persist
post #23 of 39 Old 07-07-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Turns out they lied about the delivery, this time it should be tomorrow, I will try to answer all your requests, but my only fear is that I do not have any equipment to measure anything, so it will all be eyeballing lol. The ones im hoping to confirm easily is, if it works at 100v since im in Japan and if the coil whine still persist
I have had an email today (the expected dispatch date) to say they are still out of stock and to expect a further 1-2 weeks for before they are shipped

I’m not too bothered as the room it’s going to be setup in hasn’t even started to be built yet but am also desperate to get my hands on it to test things out for myself!

Hopefully they sort out any issues and get them delivered soon
post #24 of 39 Old 07-07-2020, 07:18 PM

Ok here are a couple of videos, on the setting one, the humming you can hear is the wife’s toothbrush, sorry about that.
Obviously it works at 100v no problem, good news!
Coil whine still persists, but I got to add that isn't as intrusive as I thought it would be, but is there, fan noise is pretty low at least to me.
Distance for a 120” , Im at 100” well lets say 99” and its at 21cm from wall to the back of the projector.
Black levels and picture quality, is hard to say since im projecting on a white textured wallpaper, I guess i need a screen soon. Its kind of annoying to watch anything with the texture.
Don't know if its old news but it has airplay.

Setting up:
https://youtu.be/OTJfbslokSg

Unboxing:
https://youtu.be/fiWeaV0xdN0

Sorry for my crappy youtube skills!
post #25 of 39 Old 07-07-2020, 07:57 PM

Thank you Gettu for the videos of the unboxing and the set up. Yeah, you will see a big difference once you get a proper screen made especially for UST projector.
post #26 of 39 Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Coil whine still persists
Coil whine looks like the same on mine Fengmi 4k 2019
post #27 of 39 Old 07-08-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Ok here are a couple of videos, on the setting one, the humming you can hear is the wife’s toothbrush, sorry about that.
Obviously it works at 100v no problem, good news!
Coil whine still persists, but I got to add that isn't as intrusive as I thought it would be, but is there, fan noise is pretty low at least to me.
Distance for a 120” , Im at 100” well lets say 99” and its at 21cm from wall to the back of the projector.
Black levels and picture quality, is hard to say since im projecting on a white textured wallpaper, I guess i need a screen soon. Its kind of annoying to watch anything with the texture.
Don't know if its old news but it has airplay.

Sorry for my crappy youtube skills!
Great, thanks for this, just want mine to arrive now but got a feeling its gonna be a while still yet

Could you let us know the distance from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image for your 100" picture too?

I have been looking at cabinets/shelves for it to sit on but need to work out what sort of height I need for my room.

The motorised stand that Fengmi sell to go with the previous version looks incredibile, you connect it to the projector by usb and then your able to control the distance away from the wall (and obviously the resulting picture size) with the same remote as your PJ but i'm not sure I can justify the £300+ for what is essentially a shelf when it might not even work with this version yet
post #28 of 39 Old 07-08-2020, 04:00 AM

Pr williams: 21/23cm
Sandiego: I hope it will change quality a fair amount, I got spoiled with my OLEDS
prwilliams1982 likes this.
post #29 of 39 Old 07-10-2020, 04:28 AM

New side by side comparison with the non pro model just dropped:

post #30 of 39 Old 07-10-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwilliams1982 View Post
New side by side comparison with the non pro model just dropped:

Not much of an upgrade plus you lose the 3d functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page