Fengmi (峰米) 4K Cinema Pro (Laser UST 2020) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Brajesh
  • 1 Post By Casey_Bryson
  • 1 Post By tim worley
  • 3 Post By Casey_Bryson
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Fengmi (峰米) 4K Cinema Pro (Laser UST 2020)

New Pro model available 5/2020. Updates: Same low price as last years model under at under $2K. Higher ANSI Lumens (2400 Vs. 1700), New grill and new OS dubbed FengOS. Also "new chipset ( Amlogic T972 chip with a maximum clock frequency of 1.9GHz) comes with 63% more performance and 55% less power compared to the Amlogic T962 chip used in the previous model"

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/27/...799-yuan-1785/

It seems like a better priced($1785+ versus $2300+) A300 with about same lumens, a new OS, and chipset that supports 8K decoding. Hopefully there are even more goodies in the new update. More info to come.


Casey_Bryson is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wonder how it compares with Wemax A300.
jambanja is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-17-2020, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,479
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Here's a (sorta) first review...


Casey_Bryson likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 06-17-2020, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Here's a (sorta) first review...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_8uAeP9bw
More like a preview that just barely showed off the new OS, but we did find out it has MEMC and Android 9.0. Guess we'll just have to wait for the finer details we're really looking forward to.
Brajesh likes this.
Casey_Bryson is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Member
 
CubanLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looks nice, but the image projected is SUPER high up? what UST 4k projector out there has the lowest measured distance from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the projected image?

Optoma GT1080 @ 120" diagonal
Bose Lifestyle 25 Series II
CubanLegend is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-21-2020, 05:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been wading through the sea of Chinese Laser UST Projectors and finally bit the bullet on this bad boy. Good price I think and got a 10% discount code on top.

Purchased as a presale from bangood using coupon BGAFF10OFF

I'll post my thoughts on it once it arrives.
Casey_Bryson likes this.
tim worley is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-22-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanLegend View Post
looks nice, but the image projected is SUPER high up? what UST 4k projector out there has the lowest measured distance from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the projected image?
I'm not 100% sure but I think the LG HU85L has the lowest vertical offset. Usually this is measured from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image projected, but in terms of bottom of projector to bottom of screen it has 15.5 inches for a 120" screen and 13.6 for a 100" screen. The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are 17.5 for 120" screen, not sure on 100", but I'm assuming a couple inches off that figure. The Optoma P1 is, IIRC, 19.5 for 120", but their lenses fluctuate greatly between units so it could vary wildly--a few inches here or there.

I think Optoma got it right for a larger screen and that incorporates your typical 5.1 or more home theater with a center channel speaker, but LG got it right for those only wanting a sound bar, but too bad they didn't get the rest right (sound and image versus cost). The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are probably right in the sweet spot between the two-close enough for 100" screens, but you can still have a center speaker between projector and screen for 120" and higher.

EDIT: Here's what happens when you have a lower vertical offset and a center channel. The center channel is higher, but so is the screen. Credit @Run and Gun :


UST's are meant to be placed on or close to the floor with a CLR screen. Until the furniture market starts supporting UST's you're going to see a lot of people put them on their existing console that was designed for a TV, resulting in an image way to high for the bottom third to be at the viewer's eye.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 06-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Casey_Bryson is online now  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 AM
Member
 
CubanLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think the LG HU85L has the lowest vertical offset. Usually this is measured from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image projected, but in terms of bottom of projector to bottom of screen it has 15.5 inches for a 120" screen and 13.6 for a 100" screen. The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are 17.5 for 120" screen, not sure on 100", but I'm assuming a couple inches off that figure. The Optoma P1 is, IIRC, 19.5 for 120", but their lenses fluctuate greatly between units so it could vary wildly--a few inches here or there.

I think Optoma got it right for a larger screen and that incorporates your typical 5.1 or more home theater with a center channel speaker, but LG got it right for those only wanting a sound bar, but too bad they didn't get the rest right (sound and image versus cost). The Xiaomi/Fengmi's are probably right in the sweet spot between the two-close enough for 100" screens, but you can still have a center speaker between projector and screen for 120" and higher.

EDIT: Here's what happens when you have a lower vertical offset and a center channel. The center channel is higher, but so is the screen. Credit @Run and Gun :


UST's are meant to be placed on or close to the floor with a CLR screen. Until the furniture market starts supporting UST's you're going to see a lot of people put them on their existing console that was designed for a TV, resulting in an image way to high for the bottom third to be at the viewer's eye.
Thank you so much for those figures! it's so hard to find them in one place.. I'd like a minimal vertical offset, but I'll just remove my desk from the front of my room entirely if i got UST.. Sadly the LG is way out of my price range.. the Xiaomi/Fengmi is more my price, and yes i have my own desk setup in the front of my room, but I'll be willing to remove it and setup a custom height small stand to accomodate filling my entire screen size, as having my 120" wall/screen go from 1080p to 4K would be AMAZING and would hold me off on upgrading for another 7+ years hopefully, until 8k content and projectors are under 2,000$ someday..

Optoma GT1080 @ 120" diagonal
Bose Lifestyle 25 Series II
CubanLegend is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 PM
Newbie
 
XK_HT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A french site called passioncinema Fr has a great overview on this and other similar chinese brands. I usually use google translate off of chrome to read the reviews. I recommend checking it out!

- XK
XK_HT is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK_HT View Post
A french site called passioncinema Fr has a great overview on this and other similar chinese brands. I usually use google translate off of chrome to read the reviews. I recommend checking it out!

- XK
Great site and it's true for the 2019 version. The 2020 Pro has yet to be reviewed. I think a few vendors are taking pre-purchases and getting a shipment in late July. I haven't checked with Stephen Lou (sales for Fengmi), but since Nothingbutlabel in Australia (or New Zealand I forget) has one it likely can be ordered directly from the manufacturer Fengmi or Nothingbutlabel and received much earlier.
Casey_Bryson is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Apparently this Pro version does not support 3D function :-(
SanDiegoGuy is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
Apparently this Pro version does not support 3D function :-(
It is a hardware issue so might never support 3d.
jambanja is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Casey_Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambanja View Post
It is a hardware issue so might never support 3d.
Where are you two getting your info? If there's no 3D I'm definitely out, but all the listings I've seen have show 4K 3D even if the ads don't highlight it as a feature. I do see HDR10+ so that's new.
Casey_Bryson is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off