Insight for my Epson 5040UB projector setup! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVenthusiastNoob View Post
Actually yea I see a bunch are only 1.0. Still like the look of that screen though, and the basement will be pretty dark and I will be doing some drapes of some sort eventually.

You guys think Grey or White screen would be better? (I will be painting the surround wall black, but the rest of the basement will be grey in places other then the designated theater area)
With an 150" screen I would want a higher gain screen, not lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I get that part but if Silver Ticket only has 1.0 screens than it is what it is. I don't know of a better option for that price point of what I ideally can afford ($600 or less).

Just wasn't sure if white or grey would be better since I've seen many posts both ways

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #33 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 165
@noob00224
Thanks for the explanation and formula in post #24

@AV_Integrated
Thanks for the entire post #27 , especially the formula

@rekbones
Thanks for the links in post #25

All three of these posts will become reference material for me
AVenthusiastNoob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 06-19-2020, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
If you want even more brightness, then you can get a screen with a bit of gain. Getting a 1.1 gain screen doesn't add much, but it does a bit. 1,500 / 66.4 * 1.1 = 24.8 lumens per square foot. A very real 10% jump in brightness. A 1.3 gain screen will take you up to nearly 30 lumens per square foot, which may be overly bright for typical viewing, but will be great for 3D or some 4K viewing.
What are your thoughts on this one? It's the highest gain I see @ 1.5:
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...s/str-235138-s

Otherwise here's one I considered that at least has 1.1 gain.
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...cts/str-235138

I appreciate all your insights! Really all I found was .95 gain, lots of 1.0 and 1.1, and that single 1.5 gain. But worried that you said 1.3 might be too much and this is 1.5, plus I don't know much else about the screen so wanted to see what you thought? TIA!
post #35 of 49 Old 06-19-2020, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are your thoughts on this one? It's the highest gain I see @ 1.5:
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...s/str-235138-s

Otherwise here's one I considered that at least has 1.1 gain.
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...cts/str-235138

I appreciate all your insights! Really all I found was .95 gain, lots of 1.0 and 1.1, and that single 1.5 gain. But worried that you said 1.3 might be too much and this is 1.5, plus I don't know much else about the screen so wanted to see what you thought? TIA!
Those gains are not accurate, already mentioned it. Check out post #29 .
post #36 of 49 Old 06-24-2020, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Moving into my new house in 16 days and cant wait to setup my new Epson 5040UB projector and create a somewhat budget friendly movie-style setup in the basement! I've attached a picture to show you what I am working with. The projector will be ceiling mounted (Ceilings are just under 9" tall). I have lots of Bluray and 4K movies, but also will use it for everyday TV watching as well (mix of 720 and 1080p content - mostly 1080p).

Obviously I will know more once I can actually get into the house and test setups and throw distances, but main things I was hoping for any pre-advice on:

1 - To fill a 150" screen, what distance back approximately will projector be?
(Has 2.1 digital zoom and lens shift to adjust somewhat)

2 - Thoughts on this screen?
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...eLm5uB-jAxY0no

3 - The green walls will definitely be going, but the basement will be a grey color when finished. Per the picture, should I paint the area around the screen (marked in black) to a black color to help w/ image? Paint recommendations?

4 - The ceiling will be finished but that won't be the first year or possibly even 2. Should I line the ceiling with black velvet or something? Possibly a pull curtain from the left side that pulls backwards to kind of close it in? (I will be blacking out the basement windows).

Any other recommendations are super appreciated!!! I will take any and all insight! I am very new so I'll take all advice! I have a 5.1 surround sound system I will be installing with this as well so just want it to look the best it can without not being able to afford my mortgage, ha! Thanks so much - just started in this forum but you guys have been great!
I love the color grey and black together, I say paint the screen wall black. In the next couple weekends, I will be painting my ceiling black, but here's what my basement is looking like....

Also, paint used is Valspar High Steel Grey and Noir, both in eggshell. Ceiling will be the same Noir but in flat.

Last edited by VinnieB; 06-24-2020 at 12:55 PM.
post #37 of 49 Old 06-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Actually yea I see a bunch are only 1.0. Still like the look of that screen though, and the basement will be pretty dark and I will be doing some drapes of some sort eventually.

You guys think Grey or White screen would be better? (I will be painting the surround wall black, but the rest of the basement will be grey in places other then the designated theater area)
I went with a Elite Screen CineCrey 3D, I guess you could say it's more on the darker grey side than your normal grey screen but I'm more than happy with it. A 135" is going for under 600 bucks now on Amazon, I think I paid close to 800 for it. I also do not recommend the edge-less screens, I personally like the thick border with velvet so it soaks up an overshot image.
post #38 of 49 Old 06-24-2020, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I go back and forth on the border because I'm going to be painting the wall black behind it anyways. The thick borders $449 for the silver ticket and the almost edgeless border was like $250 more. I don't really know why I'd want to pay it though since I'm going to have the black wall behind it anyways, might as well save the money

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #39 of 49 Old 06-26-2020, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
150" for 720p

I agree with what the majority of folks are saying. Affordable screen or paint-on screen will be absolutely fine, and paint everything around it, or cover it, in black as much as you can. Contrast is king and that will help. I think you should have a frame, whether painted on or not, as that helps with perceived contrast at the edge of the image.

The only other comment I have is whether 150" might be too BIG a screen, especially if some of your content will only be 720p. Sharpness may be an issue. Someone here can correct me if I'm way off base there. I just think that going as BIG as you can, isn't necessarily the best. The diff between 120 and 150 isn't much, but it'll sharpen that image up more.

I THINK anyway...like I said, someone else can correct me if I'm way off there.
post #40 of 49 Old 06-26-2020, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDanNewLegs View Post
I agree with what the majority of folks are saying. Affordable screen or paint-on screen will be absolutely fine, and paint everything around it, or cover it, in black as much as you can. Contrast is king and that will help. I think you should have a frame, whether painted on or not, as that helps with perceived contrast at the edge of the image.

The only other comment I have is whether 150" might be too BIG a screen, especially if some of your content will only be 720p. Sharpness may be an issue. Someone here can correct me if I'm way off base there. I just think that going as BIG as you can, isn't necessarily the best. The diff between 120 and 150 isn't much, but it'll sharpen that image up more.

I THINK anyway...like I said, someone else can correct me if I'm way off there.
For 720p the source will upscale it, so no issues.

The difference between an 120 and 150 is not small. Keep in mind that the height of an 120" (16:9) is 8.7' and 10.9' for 150". The bigger the better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2749652  
post #41 of 49 Old 06-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
For 720p the source will upscale it, so no issues.

The difference between an 120 and 150 is not small. Keep in mind that the height of an 120" (16:9) is 8.7' and 10.9' for 150". The bigger the better.

I don't know the formulas, but I don't think that's right. How can the height be 10'9"? A standard ceiling height is 8'. Maybe you mean width? Not trying to be grammar-nazi-ish, just want to make sure of what you're trying to say here. Also, the only reason I bring it up is, if you're sitting too close to a 150" screen, you'll see the pixels (even on the best projectors), and that's a big distraction from the image. I do not agree that bigger is better. Better IMAGE is better. If you took a standard projector and blasted it on the side of a building in the dark...sure it would work, but the image would NOT be great unless you were sitting so far away that it was practically the same as if you were proportionally sitting in front of a 120" screen in a basement. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say 'your idea sucks' or anything like that. I'm hoping I'm helping here. I've had projectors now since the early 2000's, and one of the early takeaways I have is that bigger is NOT better. I've found finding the sweet spot where your image is AWESOME, is best. Sometimes that can be a 96" screen. It depends on where you sit.

Just my two cents, which is what a forum is for, right? Hoping I'm helping.
post #42 of 49 Old 06-27-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know the formulas, but I don't think that's right. How can the height be 10'9"? A standard ceiling height is 8'. Maybe you mean width? Not trying to be grammar-nazi-ish, just want to make sure of what you're trying to say here. Also, the only reason I bring it up is, if you're sitting too close to a 150" screen, you'll see the pixels (even on the best projectors), and that's a big distraction from the image. I do not agree that bigger is better. Better IMAGE is better. If you took a standard projector and blasted it on the side of a building in the dark...sure it would work, but the image would NOT be great unless you were sitting so far away that it was practically the same as if you were proportionally sitting in front of a 120" screen in a basement. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say 'your idea sucks' or anything like that. I'm hoping I'm helping here. I've had projectors now since the early 2000's, and one of the early takeaways I have is that bigger is NOT better. I've found finding the sweet spot where your image is AWESOME, is best. Sometimes that can be a 96" screen. It depends on where you sit.

Just my two cents, which is what a forum is for, right? Hoping I'm helping.
No, bigger is better. Movies are supposed to be displayed on large screens, not 90" ish ones.
Take a look at this picture with practically the same projector from the pixel fill perspective and see if you can see any pixels:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58821002

You have to sit at 6-7' to start seeing the pixels on a 130"+ screen, on this model/related models.

I don't know if you've seen this thread where something similar is being discussed:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...tors-dead.html

Not everyone has 8' ceilings.

The conversion was off for some reason:
120" 16:9 is 58.8" high / 4.9'.
150" is 73.5" high / 6.1.

Anyway my point is there's a significant difference between 120 and 150, especially when you see it in person. 120" is the minimum for cinema like look.
post #43 of 49 Old 06-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
No, bigger is better. Movies are supposed to be displayed on large screens, not 90" ish ones.
Take a look at this picture with practically the same projector from the pixel fill perspective and see if you can see any pixels:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58821002

You have to sit at 6-7' to start seeing the pixels on a 130"+ screen, on this model/related models.

I don't know if you've seen this thread where something similar is being discussed:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...tors-dead.html

Not everyone has 8' ceilings.

The conversion was off for some reason:
120" 16:9 is 58.8" high / 4.9'.
150" is 73.5" high / 6.1.

Anyway my point is there's a significant difference between 120 and 150, especially when you see it in person. 120" is the minimum for cinema like look.
Well, your opinion is yours...mine is mine. This is a forum, and that's what it's designed for. I absolutely disagree with you, and you absolutely disagree with me. That's fine.
post #44 of 49 Old 06-28-2020, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, your opinion is yours...mine is mine. This is a forum, and that's what it's designed for. I absolutely disagree with you, and you absolutely disagree with me. That's fine.
It's not my opinion, it's well researched science. There's many resources on this topic if you want to read about it.

Have you read the thread I linked in the previous page?
post #45 of 49 Old 06-28-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
It's not my opinion, it's well researched science. There's many resources on this topic if you want to read about it.

Have you read the thread I linked in the previous page?
Okay, so you're trying to tell me 'bigger is better is a SCIENTIFIC FACT'? No...no it's not. If that was anywhere NEAR being an accurate statement, then every single projector review would go like this: "'X' projector can throw an image that's 450" diagonal...it's the best" - end of review. Next review "We have a new champion, 'Y' projector can do 460". It's the best." No mention of contrast levels, color saturation, HDR quality etc.

How you rank the importance of bigger picture or better image IS an opinion. If you think bigger is most important, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it...I respect your opinion. I think better image is more important, that's my opinion and you have to respect that, too. There's no 'fact' that proves either side.

I hope you understand that now. Take care.
post #46 of 49 Old 06-28-2020, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, so you're trying to tell me 'bigger is better is a SCIENTIFIC FACT'? No...no it's not. If that was anywhere NEAR being an accurate statement, then every single projector review would go like this: "'X' projector can throw an image that's 450" diagonal...it's the best" - end of review. Next review "We have a new champion, 'Y' projector can do 460". It's the best." No mention of contrast levels, color saturation, HDR quality etc.

How you rank the importance of bigger picture or better image IS an opinion. If you think bigger is most important, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it...I respect your opinion. I think better image is more important, that's my opinion and you have to respect that, too. There's no 'fact' that proves either side.

I hope you understand that now. Take care.
If you want a better image then get a TV, a projector can't match that.

There are many source where you can get educated, but if you don't want to there's nothing I can do. I posted a link with the latest thread on this topic. I'm not going to rehash something which is well known and discussed many times.

Why don't you post on that thread I linked and see what the people there say?
post #47 of 49 Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If you want a better image then get a TV, a projector can't match that.

There are many source where you can get educated, but if you don't want to there's nothing I can do. I posted a link with the latest thread on this topic. I'm not going to rehash something which is well known and discussed many times.

Why don't you post on that thread I linked and see what the people there say?
Um, no. You can't find a 96" tv that can compete with a 96" projector image...especially at a price of under $1000, which you could easily get for a 96" image.

Listen fella, I'm not here for a silly fight. I'm not going to do it. You keep wanting to re-direct me to off-topic nonsense rather than deal with the actual issue here, which I will clearly point out once more:

Your opinion is YOUR OPINION, and you're welcome to it. MINE is MINE, and I'm welcome to it. IMAGE is more important than SIZE in MY OPINION. There's nothing you can say to prove that WRONG. It can't BE wrong...it's an OPINION. I respect yours, but you don't seem to want to respect mine.

I'm getting the sense that you're either a troll (I hope so, for your sake) or the AVS Forum equivalent to a flat-earther.

I won't be responding to you anymore, I won't waste my time on you.

Take care.
post #48 of 49 Old 06-28-2020, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Um, no. You can't find a 96" tv that can compete with a 96" projector image...especially at a price of under $1000, which you could easily get for a 96" image.

Listen fella, I'm not here for a silly fight. I'm not going to do it. You keep wanting to re-direct me to off-topic nonsense rather than deal with the actual issue here, which I will clearly point out once more:

Your opinion is YOUR OPINION, and you're welcome to it. MINE is MINE, and I'm welcome to it. IMAGE is more important than SIZE in MY OPINION. There's nothing you can say to prove that WRONG. It can't BE wrong...it's an OPINION. I respect yours, but you don't seem to want to respect mine.

I'm getting the sense that you're either a troll (I hope so, for your sake) or the AVS Forum equivalent to a flat-earther.

I won't be responding to you anymore, I won't waste my time on you.

Take care.
Despite his AVSForum name, noob00224 has given some very helpful information on this forum and has ~3.5k posts. You have 10. Maybe coming in hot like this isn't the best way to get your start in this forum (calling people names like troll and flat earther)? If image is more important than size, it's no contest - a good TV will win almost every time as noob has said. However, if you want to emulate a true movie theater experience, a TV will not cut it in terms of immersion unless you sit very, very close (like, 4-5 feet close depending on your TV size). Maybe that's not what you're going for and that's totally cool. My 65" TV upstairs throws an amazing image, but I will choose my projector over it 24/7 for watching movies and playing games despite it not having quite as much "pop" as my TV due to the immersion factor. Agree to disagree, but let's be nice about it.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #49 of 49 Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Despite his AVSForum name, noob00224 has given some very helpful information on this forum and has ~3.5k posts. You have 10. Maybe coming in hot like this isn't the best way to get your start in this forum (calling people names like troll and flat earther)? If image is more important than size, it's no contest - a good TV will win almost every time as noob has said. However, if you want to emulate a true movie theater experience, a TV will not cut it in terms of immersion unless you sit very, very close (like, 4-5 feet close depending on your TV size). Maybe that's not what you're going for and that's totally cool. My 65" TV upstairs throws an amazing image, but I will choose my projector over it 24/7 for watching movies and playing games despite it not having quite as much "pop" as my TV due to the immersion factor. Agree to disagree, but let's be nice about it.
Okay, I've just got to come back to comment here. I did NOT 'come in hot'...NOOB did. You yourself just said "Agree to disagree, but let's be nice about it"...if you read my posts, that's EXACTLY what I was saying and Noob just wouldn't let it be. I was trying to help, and he was just crapping all over my opinions. All I ask is that you re-read the posts between me and him, and then tell me I was the one that 'started it'. I was super polite and respectful, and he just kept flat out saying 'no, you're wrong' when all I was saying was 'opinions are opinions, respect them' just like YOU'RE saying here...if that's what you truly believe, then you should totally be on MY side in this. And there shouldn't even BE a 'side'...that's not what I wanted. But Noob didn't want to allow for anyone to have an opinion other than his...that's not what a FORUM is about.

As for the number of posts and who's deserving of respect...first of all, that shouldn't matter AT ALL...any poster, new or old, should be respected, however, I was a long time poster here before. I've been with projectors since the early 2000's...I got OFF this forum because of crap like what Noob was ramming down my throat, disrespecting MY right to have an opinion. I'm NOT new to this game, or this forum...but if I was new, and this is the way this forum treats new members, well that's just sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page