Insight for my Epson 5040UB projector setup! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 06-14-2020, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Insight for my Epson 5040UB projector setup!

Moving into my new house in 16 days and cant wait to setup my new Epson 5040UB projector and create a somewhat budget friendly movie-style setup in the basement! I've attached a picture to show you what I am working with. The projector will be ceiling mounted (Ceilings are just under 9" tall). I have lots of Bluray and 4K movies, but also will use it for everyday TV watching as well (mix of 720 and 1080p content - mostly 1080p).

Obviously I will know more once I can actually get into the house and test setups and throw distances, but main things I was hoping for any pre-advice on:

1 - To fill a 150" screen, what distance back approximately will projector be?
(Has 2.1 digital zoom and lens shift to adjust somewhat)

2 - Thoughts on this screen?
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...eLm5uB-jAxY0no

3 - The green walls will definitely be going, but the basement will be a grey color when finished. Per the picture, should I paint the area around the screen (marked in black) to a black color to help w/ image? Paint recommendations?

4 - The ceiling will be finished but that won't be the first year or possibly even 2. Should I line the ceiling with black velvet or something? Possibly a pull curtain from the left side that pulls backwards to kind of close it in? (I will be blacking out the basement windows).

Any other recommendations are super appreciated!!! I will take any and all insight! I am very new so I'll take all advice! I have a 5.1 surround sound system I will be installing with this as well so just want it to look the best it can without not being able to afford my mortgage, ha! Thanks so much - just started in this forum but you guys have been great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	2742066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-14-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 646
https://webprojectorcalculator.com/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58982020

https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

ST screens are fine. If you want an upgrade consider using paint mixes that can be applied either on a white screen or wall.
post #3 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

I've considered the painted wall route but just not sure - I really like the look of the movie style screen.

Majority of my content is 1080p TV Shows and Movies so I think on the screen it would look real nice. However, for TV shows, I do have a mix of 720 and 1080p. Not sure how the 720p content would look on the screen.. but could always upgrade those to 1080p to ensure I can fully maximize the image on the screen. I don't know enough about these Silver Ticket screens but I know $500 or so is about as high as I could afford to go with everything else I am buying as well. Not sure if the screen for that price isn't going to be quality enough based on what they also offer for upwards of $1,000. But then again, I'm not a super psycho for "MUST BE ABSOLUTE BEST QUALITY IMAGE" either so I'm sure I would be happy with it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVenthusiastNoob View Post
The 5040 has a lens to screen distance that you can adjust with the zoom lens. With the EXTENSIVE range, you may put the lens to screen distance (throw distance) anywhere between 14'8" to 30"11". So, basically 15' to 30' lens to screen with a 150" diagonal screen.

Quote:
Not sure what's up with your link, it doesn't seem to be working. That said, standard 'white' Silver Ticket screens, are a great entry level screen to be working with. If you intend to treat your room well at some point, that's a good way to go on a budget. If you are using some 'other' screen from them, I wouldn't typically go that route.

Quote:
3 - The green walls will definitely be going, but the basement will be a grey color when finished. Per the picture, should I paint the area around the screen (marked in black) to a black color to help w/ image? Paint recommendations?
Nothing wrong with going with black as much as you can. It helps to sell that 'movie theater' look to the space.

Quote:
4 - The ceiling will be finished but that won't be the first year or possibly even 2. Should I line the ceiling with black velvet or something? Possibly a pull curtain from the left side that pulls backwards to kind of close it in? (I will be blacking out the basement windows).
Any black covering will help. The darker the better. Velvet is expensive, but I used a bunch of king size flat sheets to cover up walls in my basement. The biggest offender will be that silver duct running right next to things. Major reflections.

Quote:
Any other recommendations are super appreciated!!! I will take any and all insight! I am very new so I'll take all advice! I have a 5.1 surround sound system I will be installing with this as well so just want it to look the best it can without not being able to afford my mortgage, ha! Thanks so much - just started in this forum but you guys have been great!
You might consider a couple of gallons of black, and paint the ceiling rafters. You can do that, then when you finish the basement, the black rafters won't matter. It's more time consuming than putting up fabric, but it's a lot less money. I'm not an expert on the 'exact' black paint to use for best results.

I do have some example photos up of a 161" screen in an unfinished basement for some idea of what this will look like in your space...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...61-screen.html

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
I see you found your way to the <3000 forum and you will get a lot more help here. I replied to your thread again in the CIH forum and that would be a good place to talk about different presentation methods also.

I have a DIY painted stealth screen wall and even if you want to buy a screen it wouldn’t be a bad idea to paint that wall flat white or a light neutral gray to get started and get a feel for screen size before you spend 500 bucks. A gallon of latex paint and a roller will only set you back 30 bucks. You can also compare white to gray with the little bit of ambient light in the room. There is a sub-forum of the screen forum that is all about DIY screens painted and others. Just be warned it is a bit addictive there and the old timers have some pretty advanced ideas on painting a screen. It doesn’t have to be complex though.

I like the above idea painting everything above a flat black and with the new low cost Wagner spray guns it would go pretty quick. Do the walls a dark gray and you have an instant starter home theater for not much money.

Bud
post #6 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subscribed to this, I just installed my refurb 5040 last night. I had a 5030 and 8350 before this. My room is still temporary but covered most of the walls and ceiling with black felt for now. I painted the ceiling in my previous basement with black paint also though.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've considered the painted wall route but just not sure - I really like the look of the movie style screen.

Majority of my content is 1080p TV Shows and Movies so I think on the screen it would look real nice. However, for TV shows, I do have a mix of 720 and 1080p. Not sure how the 720p content would look on the screen.. but could always upgrade those to 1080p to ensure I can fully maximize the image on the screen. I don't know enough about these Silver Ticket screens but I know $500 or so is about as high as I could afford to go with everything else I am buying as well. Not sure if the screen for that price isn't going to be quality enough based on what they also offer for upwards of $1,000. But then again, I'm not a super psycho for "MUST BE ABSOLUTE BEST QUALITY IMAGE" either so I'm sure I would be happy with it....
You can paint a white screen.

White fabrics are available for purchase for painting or use as is, for much less than $500. All you need to do is build a wooden frame.

Here's an example of a painted wall with a 5050UB:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...iy-screen.html
post #8 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
You can paint a white screen.

White fabrics are available for purchase for painting or use as is, for much less than $500. All you need to do is build a wooden frame.

Here's an example of a painted wall with a 5050UB:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...iy-screen.html
Damn that looks nice!
post #9 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Having a painted wall for a screen would be nice to not have to constantly switch the output settings between when something comes up in 720, 1080, or UHD type stuff.....
blucollar likes this.
post #10 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having a painted wall for a screen would be nice to not have to constantly switch the output settings between when something comes up in 720, 1080, or UHD type stuff.....
Different resolutions and different aspect ratios are different terms completely.

720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p are all different resolutions.

1.78 (or 16:9), 2.35, 2.40, and 1.33 (or 4:3) are different aspect ratios.

If you intend to use a 2.35 screen, then the numbers I gave you are inaccurate. You would need the projector to be mounted within a smaller range of distances. It moves it to about 16' to 30' as your zoom range to cover both 2.35 and 16:9 aspect ratios. I would shoot for about 20' if the room supports it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Different resolutions and different aspect ratios are different terms completely.

720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p are all different resolutions.

1.78 (or 16:9), 2.35, 2.40, and 1.33 (or 4:3) are different aspect ratios.

If you intend to use a 2.35 screen, then the numbers I gave you are inaccurate. You would need the projector to be mounted within a smaller range of distances. It moves it to about 16' to 30' as your zoom range to cover both 2.35 and 16:9 aspect ratios. I would shoot for about 20' if the room supports it.
I've been looking at projectors for my basement. The zoom ratio kind of gives me problems.

With any projector, the amount of zoom used increases or decreases the image size. Ok, I get that. But, it also increases or decreases the amount of lumens that hit the screen correct ?
So, when mounting a projector is it best to locate it closer or further from the screen and use the maximum or minimum zoom ? Or , is it best to mount it somewhere in the middle ?
I'm using calculators to try to figure out which projectors would work in my situation.
Don't mean to derail the thread, but zoom was already mentioned. 🤔🤫
post #12 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 03:22 PM

Liked: 12
There is a good calculation tool on Epson's website for room setup and dimensions.
I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used 6040 with 350 hours on the bulb plus the extra bulb and ceiling mount that comes with it. What's a fair price for that unit?
post #13 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No deal talk on this subforum.

There are 6040UBs refurbs on Epsons site. With 3 years warranty.

The projector should be placed as close to the screen as possible to get the highest brightness.

There is a calculator in the second post.
post #14 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No deal talk on this subforum.

There are 6040UBs refurbs on Epsons site. With 3 years warranty.

The projector should be placed as close to the screen as possible to get the highest brightness.

There is a calculator in the second post.
Thanks . I've been using calculators. I just wasn't sure where in the throw range was the best placement location.
post #15 of 49 Old 06-15-2020, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
Thanks . I've been using calculators. I just wasn't sure where in the throw range was the best placement location.
To get the brightest possible image you want the shortest throw as it uses more of the lens allowing more light through. Long throw uses less of the lens possibly eliminating any lens flaws so you might get a sharper picture but lets less light through. In the middle is the most recommended and avoid the min/max extremes. The effect varies from model to model depending on the quality of the lens system.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/BenQ 3550 Projectors, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Denon 4500H with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains, SVS PB2000, 3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 06-15-2020 at 09:54 PM.
post #16 of 49 Old 06-16-2020, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
To get the brightest possible image you want the shortest throw as it uses more of the lens allowing more light through. Long throw uses less of the lens possibly eliminating any lens flaws so you might get a sharper picture but lets less light through. In the middle is the most recommended and avoid the min/max extremes. The effect varies from model to model depending on the quality of the lens system.
Thanks.
I had been trying to get the projectirs somewhat centered in the zoom range then playing with vertical offset to get the image to my desired shape, size and height on the wall.(Using several different calculators )
Glad to know I am actually going about this the right way.
post #17 of 49 Old 06-16-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been looking at projectors for my basement. The zoom ratio kind of gives me problems.

With any projector, the amount of zoom used increases or decreases the image size. Ok, I get that. But, it also increases or decreases the amount of lumens that hit the screen correct ?
So, when mounting a projector is it best to locate it closer or further from the screen and use the maximum or minimum zoom ? Or , is it best to mount it somewhere in the middle ?
I'm using calculators to try to figure out which projectors would work in my situation.
Don't mean to derail the thread, but zoom was already mentioned. 🤔🤫
Generally speaking, you get more light output from a projector with the projector closer to the screen. On many projectors, this change in light output isn't much (10% or so), but with other models it can exceed 30% light falloff. So, you can lose a lot.

But, as you move the projector further away, you are using more of the sweet spot of the lens (the center) which should produce a sharper image. So, you get a better image, that's dimmer, as you move towards the back of the zoom range (farther away).

IMO, as long as you have enough light output for your screen size, put the projector where it best fits. If you have a larger screen and need the light output, then get the projector nearly (not entirely!) as close as it can get. If you have a 10'-20' throw distance, put it at 11' away if you need that brightness. If you only have a 120" diagonal, you won't really need that brightness for most viewing, and you can put the projector back at 17' or 18' if that's best for the room.

Most projectors don't have the zoom range that Epson offers, so it barely makes a difference. I do believe that the center of the zoom range is a reasonable goal in most setups.

post #18 of 49 Old 06-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Generally speaking, you get more light output from a projector with the projector closer to the screen. On many projectors, this change in light output isn't much (10% or so), but with other models it can exceed 30% light falloff. So, you can lose a lot.

But, as you move the projector further away, you are using more of the sweet spot of the lens (the center) which should produce a sharper image. So, you get a better image, that's dimmer, as you move towards the back of the zoom range (farther away).

IMO, as long as you have enough light output for your screen size, put the projector where it best fits. If you have a larger screen and need the light output, then get the projector nearly (not entirely!) as close as it can get. If you have a 10'-20' throw distance, put it at 11' away if you need that brightness. If you only have a 120" diagonal, you won't really need that brightness for most viewing, and you can put the projector back at 17' or 18' if that's best for the room.

Most projectors don't have the zoom range that Epson offers, so it barely makes a difference. I do believe that the center of the zoom range is a reasonable goal in most setups.
Thanks again for all the help everyone. Don't want to steal this thread, but, it seems like all of the calculators I've been using have a very limited selection of projectors to choose from.
Is there a calculator that allows more current projector options ?
post #19 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help everyone. Don't want to steal this thread, but, it seems like all of the calculators I've been using have a very limited selection of projectors to choose from.
Is there a calculator that allows more current projector options ?
Post 2 has a calculator.

What projector do you want to do the calculations for?

You can also do it manually by reading the specifications and doing the math with lumens.
post #20 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Post 2 has a calculator.

What projector do you want to do the calculations for?

You can also do it manually by reading the specifications and doing the math with lumens.
Basically, just trying to do as many as possible to narrow down the options. After using the calculator for several, I've already erased some off the list because they can't throw the size image I'm wanting due to my low ceiling.

Is there a formula for zoom range with vertical shift vs image size and lumen output ?
post #21 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Basically, just trying to do as many as possible to narrow down the options. After using the calculator for several, I've already erased some off the list because they can't throw the size image I'm wanting due to my low ceiling.

Is there a formula for zoom range with vertical shift vs image size and lumen output ?
I don't know what you're talking about.

If you want to know the how far away the projector can be placed at which diagonal screen, consult the throw ratio.

If you want to know the lens shift consult the lens shift specification, which is a percentage of the height of screen vertically, and width horizontally.

For lumens you take the screen dimensions, calculate square surface, divide by lumens in whichever lamp and preset you want (taken from reviews), add the amount of zoom used (which means light loss) (also found in reviews), screen gain, and account for light source dimming over time.
http://screen-size.info/
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

If that's too hard for you then use a calculator.

Or ask around what your room setups is.
post #22 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

@AV_Integrated posted this in post #4 . I'm just not sure how he got the distances he posted. I've seen other posts with the same kind of information and was wondering how it's calculated.

The 5040 has a lens to screen distance that you can adjust with the zoom lens. With the EXTENSIVE range, you may put the lens to screen distance (throw distance) anywhere between 14'8" to 30"11". So, basically 15' to 30' lens to screen with a 150" diagonal screen
post #23 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about.

If you want to know the how far away the projector can be placed at which diagonal screen, consult the throw ratio.

If you want to know the lens shift consult the lens shift specification, which is a percentage of the height of screen vertically, and width horizontally.

For lumens you take the screen dimensions, calculate square surface, divide by lumens in whichever lamp and preset you want (taken from reviews), add the amount of zoom used (which means light loss) (also found in reviews), screen gain, and account for light source dimming over time.
http://screen-size.info/
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

If that's too hard for you then use a calculator.

Or ask around what your room setups is.
I do know some 'rithmatics . Spellin' - not so much.
Just not sure how throw ratio, zoom range, screen size, and projector distance correlate to one another. There has to be a formula for this.
post #24 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just not sure how throw ratio, zoom range, screen size, and projector distance correlate to one another. There has to be a formula for this.
There is no formula, I don't know why you think that there is one. You're very confused.

To find out throw ratio divide the width of the screen to the distance (lens to screen). Then look at throw ratio specification.

For example if a projector claims it's throw ratio is between 1.35x and 2.80x, it can be placed from 1.35 times the width of the screen away, to 2.8 times.

With an 100" (16:9) the width is 87.2". With a projector with the specifications above that would mean
87.2 x 1.35 = 117.72‬" or 9.81'
87.2 x 2.8 = 244.16‬" or 20.34'

I've already explained lens shift in the post above.

Calculators do all of this.
Use this one, it's interface is simpler, but it's brightness estimates are not accurate. For brightness use the one in post 2:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm
post #25 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
I like this calculator the best.

http://www.reviewtranslations.com/pr...ulator_en.html

There are others.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-
http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/BenQ 3550 Projectors, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Denon 4500H with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains, SVS PB2000, 3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #26 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Moving into my new house in 16 days and cant wait to setup my new Epson 5040UB projector and create a somewhat budget friendly movie-style setup in the basement! I've attached a picture to show you what I am working with. The projector will be ceiling mounted (Ceilings are just under 9" tall). I have lots of Bluray and 4K movies, but also will use it for everyday TV watching as well (mix of 720 and 1080p content - mostly 1080p).

Obviously I will know more once I can actually get into the house and test setups and throw distances, but main things I was hoping for any pre-advice on:

2 - Thoughts on this screen?
https://www.silverticketproducts.com...eLm5uB-jAxY0no

I do think blacking out as much as possible is worth it, I didn't and seeing the wall is distracting in some content. Seating distance is also a factor.
post #27 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@AV_Integrated posted this in post #4 . I'm just not sure how he got the distances he posted. I've seen other posts with the same kind of information and was wondering how it's calculated.

The 5040 has a lens to screen distance that you can adjust with the zoom lens. With the EXTENSIVE range, you may put the lens to screen distance (throw distance) anywhere between 14'8" to 30"11". So, basically 15' to 30' lens to screen with a 150" diagonal screen
I use the calculator over at Projector Central as my default. It gives a good insight on the throw range for any specific image size easily.

Lens shift has minimal impact on brightness typically, so shouldn't be considered.

Zoom range is going to have some impact, and should be considered from reviews.

Be VERY aware, that there are TONS of settings on a projector which significantly impact brightness. So, you may get anywhere from 500 lumens to 3,000 lumens out of the same projector depending on what settings you use. The end deal is that the closer you are, with a model like the 5040UB, the brighter the potential image will be. So, if you are running at 150" diagonal with a 16:9 screen, you will want it 16 or 17 feet away (or so) to get the brightest image possible.

If you have a specific question, please ask.

MATH:
The Epson 5040UB has brightness ranging from 3,500 lumens down to 825 lumens - https://www.projectorcentral.com/eps...0ub-review.htm
The zoom lens will decrease light output by 33% from one end of the range to the other. So, at the furthest point, light drops from 3,500 lumens down to about 2,400 lumens (brightest) and from 825 lumens to about 580 lumens (dimmest).

With a 150" diagonal 16:9 screen, you will have a surface area of 66.4 square feet. (131"x73"/144")
Take your brightness and divide it by the square footage of the screen to determine the brightness in lumens per square foot at either extent. If your screen has gain, include that in the math.
BRIGHTNESS / SQUARE FOOTAGE * GAIN = LUMENS PER SQUARE FOOT
3,500 / 66.4 * 1.0 = 52 lumens per square foot
825 / 66.4 * 1.0 = 12.4 lumens per square foot

A more realistic setting, is using lower lamp modes, to reduce noise and increase lamp life, and to have the projector backed off from closest by a little bit, then use a good setting like 'Bright Cinema' which has good color quality and go from there...
That makes it 1,800 lumens, but backed off a bit, so maybe a real world 1,500 lumens...
1,500 / 66.4 * 1.0 = 22.6 lumens per square foot.

A commercial movie theater often operates at 15 lumens per square foot and a good goal for home movies is 18 lumens per square foot for a very enjoyable image.

So, the math supports using this projector.

If you want even more brightness, then you can get a screen with a bit of gain. Getting a 1.1 gain screen doesn't add much, but it does a bit. 1,500 / 66.4 * 1.1 = 24.8 lumens per square foot. A very real 10% jump in brightness. A 1.3 gain screen will take you up to nearly 30 lumens per square foot, which may be overly bright for typical viewing, but will be great for 3D or some 4K viewing.
AVenthusiastNoob likes this.

post #28 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Seriously thank you so much for that response. When I get into my new place this is going to be the first thing I go back and reference when setting everything up!

It also helps me decide that I want to buy a Silver Ticket screen WITH gain even though it'll cost a little extra - I would like the extra lumens.

I know I want the 150" Silver Ticket screen and I have up to 25' distance to work with. Good to know lens shift doesn't affect much with brightness but zoom will. I should be able to set it up at that ideal 16/17 feet away no problem for minimal zoom and shift besides perfecting minimal offset of mounting!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #29 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seriously thank you so much for that response. When I get into my new place this is going to be the first thing I go back and reference when setting everything up!

It also helps me decide that I want to buy a Silver Ticket screen WITH gain even though it'll cost a little extra - I would like the extra lumens.

I know I want the 150" Silver Ticket screen and I have up to 25' distance to work with. Good to know lens shift doesn't affect much with brightness but zoom will. I should be able to set it up at that ideal 16/17 feet away no problem for minimal zoom and shift besides perfecting minimal offset of mounting!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I don't know what ST screen you looked at, but I don't think any of them are over 1.0 gain, maybe 1:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post58823388
post #30 of 49 Old 06-17-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know what ST screen you looked at, but I don't think any of them are over 1.0 gain, maybe 1:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post58823388
Actually yea I see a bunch are only 1.0. Still like the look of that screen though, and the basement will be pretty dark and I will be doing some drapes of some sort eventually.

You guys think Grey or White screen would be better? (I will be painting the surround wall black, but the rest of the basement will be grey in places other then the designated theater area)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page