Projector for inside/outside use, 100 inch screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2020, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Projector for inside/outside use, 100 inch screen

With being at home largely this summer, we went to buy an outdoor screen a while ago. The screens I looked at in the morning were gone or 3 times the price in the evening!

So, we ended up ordering a 100 inch, 16x9 screen, the only one that was available at the time, and it took a while to get to us.

To test this, we used it inside last night due to possibility of thunderstorms. I'm using a projector from work, which is not a HT projector. It turns out that I can put the 100 inch screen in front of our (now tiny) TV and front speaker setup in our living room and it works really well: only blocks some sound from the R/L speakers, but we watched a movie and I couldn't really notice much blockage.

I'm thinking of buying a somewhat reasonably priced HT projector for inside/outside use. For outside, we were planning on taking a laptop and smaller bluetooth speaker, at least as a test setup. For inside, there's nowhere near theater level of blackness, though it does get dark once the sun goes down (we have a sliding glass door right near where the screen goes; while we have a covering, it lets light through).

We have also broken out the Wii, which was sitting in a box, and the kids of course want to play the Wii on the projector. So, gaming is an option.

What projector near say $500 can I get for this purpose? For inside, a throw around 10 feet or lower for 100 inch, 16x9 screen would be good. And lens shift "up" might be a benefit, so I could put the projector lower than the screen if necessary.

I see: Epson Home Cinema 1060? Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector?

And to get the throw calculations, do I have to download the PDF for each projector? Some websites just say "standard throw", but in terms of a 100 inch screen, I don't know what that means.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
With being at home largely this summer, we went to buy an outdoor screen a while ago. The screens I looked at in the morning were gone or 3 times the price in the evening!

So, we ended up ordering a 100 inch, 16x9 screen, the only one that was available at the time, and it took a while to get to us.

To test this, we used it inside last night due to possibility of thunderstorms. I'm using a projector from work, which is not a HT projector. It turns out that I can put the 100 inch screen in front of our (now tiny) TV and front speaker setup in our living room and it works really well: only blocks some sound from the R/L speakers, but we watched a movie and I couldn't really notice much blockage.

I'm thinking of buying a somewhat reasonably priced HT projector for inside/outside use. For outside, we were planning on taking a laptop and smaller bluetooth speaker, at least as a test setup. For inside, there's nowhere near theater level of blackness, though it does get dark once the sun goes down (we have a sliding glass door right near where the screen goes; while we have a covering, it lets light through).

We have also broken out the Wii, which was sitting in a box, and the kids of course want to play the Wii on the projector. So, gaming is an option.

What projector near say $500 can I get for this purpose? For inside, a throw around 10 feet or lower for 100 inch, 16x9 screen would be good. And lens shift "up" might be a benefit, so I could put the projector lower than the screen if necessary.

I see: Epson Home Cinema 1060? Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector?

And to get the throw calculations, do I have to download the PDF for each projector? Some websites just say "standard throw", but in terms of a 100 inch screen, I don't know what that means.

Please delete/edit the second post. Try imgur or something or just attach the picture.

For projectors you need black out shades, and install them in a way to block out the light.

The HC1060 is a good option, with lacking black level.

Other projectors can have somewhat better black levels, but I don't know if that will matter to you.

DLP projector with a RGBRGB color wheel will do. The HD146 does not have that type of color wheel.

Something like the Benq HT2050/A is a great option, or even HT1070A.
https://www.benq.com/en-us/explore-b...e-theater.html

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/...px725hd-s.html

With lens shift you'll need something like Epson HC3100/3700.
Be aware that with Epson refurbs they can't be returned unless faulty:
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...inment/c/cc301

Use this site for calculations:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

At the bottom of the page, there is a section called lens shift, after inputting the screen size:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2020, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Please delete/edit the second post. Try imgur or something or just attach the picture.

For projectors you need black out shades, and install them in a way to block out the light.

The HC1060 is a good option, with lacking black level.

Other projectors can have somewhat better black levels, but I don't know if that will matter to you.

DLP projector with a RGBRGB color wheel will do. The HD146 does not have that type of color wheel.

Something like the Benq HT2050/A is a great option, or even HT1070A.
https://www.benq.com/en-us/explore-b...e-theater.html

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/...px725hd-s.html

Use this site for calculations:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

At the bottom of the page, there is a section called lens shift, after inputting the screen size:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm

Thank you. Sorry about that (now deleted) picture. I just did a cut and paste, and the forum gave an error and quit on me. I did not realize what had happened.

In my previous house, I had redone a room and installed black out shades. But in this house, we actually used my work projector (Viewsonic PJD5555w, DLP, WXGA, 3300 lumens) on the screen indoors, and it did a great job. 100 inches is huge in my living room; kinda small outdoors.

Those look like good options, and I'll compare them.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I remember now why I hate looking at projectors. Went to look at those links, and everything is sold out. Then, you get into a confusing array of data, a lot of which is total BS. For instance, lumens are (basically) useless, except as a gross measure, as different modes will output different lumens. I obviously need a little higher in real lumen output, but at the same time, our living room can get pretty dark, particularly in the winter (live in CT, USA).

The good thing is that it's been a while since I last looked at projectors. The lumen output has gone up, as has the quality of output, and the cost has come down.

Now just need to sift through mountains of data....

Hopefully, I correctly attached the picture, which shows the screen indoors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_190104.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2749750  

Bob
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
Well, I remember now why I hate looking at projectors. Went to look at those links, and everything is sold out. Then, you get into a confusing array of data, a lot of which is total BS. For instance, lumens are (basically) useless, except as a gross measure, as different modes will output different lumens. I obviously need a little higher in real lumen output, but at the same time, our living room can get pretty dark, particularly in the winter (live in CT, USA).

The good thing is that it's been a while since I last looked at projectors. The lumen output has gone up, as has the quality of output, and the cost has come down.

Now just need to sift through mountains of data....

Hopefully, I correctly attached the picture, which shows the screen indoors.
The Viewsonic and Epson are in stock.

If all else fails you could get a non RGBRGB 1080p DLP.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2020, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here is my setup - I was originally looking at the Epson HC2100 as I thought I wanted a longer throw projector but after I remeasured the HC1060 works out for placement. I have a DIY garage mount like this - https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY...Ceiling-Mount/ and still need to finish the outdoor mount which will be the same idea. I have been using it in the garage for now and it works out well though I did watch something in there earlier in the day so I had to close the garage half way as the outdoor light was washing it out a bit. Either way I think it works out well for the price tag.

Garage Setup:
Projector - Epson HC 1060
Screen - Elite Screens Manual B, 100-INCH 16:9
Receiver - Old Reciever & J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (JTDAT5CH)
Speakers - Dayton Audio MK402 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Source - Tube Shield TV

Patio Setup:
Projector - Epson HC 1060
Screen - Elite Screens Manual B, 100-INCH 16:9
Receiver - Denon 3400 Zone 2
Speakers -
Source - Tube Shield TV

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2020, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Those are nice set ups.

Well, I'm still working on this. The original plan was to buy a larger outdoor screen and use the work projector (never used at work) for the few times we did that. I'd get 120 inch plus screen.

However, everything was sold out and we got a 100 inch screen instead. And, due to the possibility of thunderstorms basically every night, we haven't had one outside showing yet.

So, that means I'm watching the 100 inch screen inside. Saw Hamilton on Disney+ last night, and it was great, even if I have not a great projector. It's getting a bit darker at night, which means that I could use movie mode on the projector and it wasn't washed out.

But even though we never use the projector at work (it sits in a case), I would like to get something for home. The work projector is really for work.

I might have to up the price a bit. I do think the RGBRGB 1080p DLPs are worthwhile. I also think some lens shift might be good, as this frees me to think about overhead mounting in the living room or placed on a table lower than the bottom of the projector.

Right now, I'm using a music stand that allows height adjustment, and placing the projector to shoot over the couch. But it's touchy and getting it aligned with the screen is a pain. As I sit here typing on the projector/computer, the image is crooked. Ugh.

But doing this also means I have to look at throws. To mount the projector on the ceiling means longer throw. To try to use a stand on the living room table means a shorter throw. A "normal" throw projector is either behind the couch (and not suitable for overhead mounting) or on the couch and not suitable for table placement.

I also remember that some of these projector modes make things look strange. For the projector I'm using now, most modes (like dynamic) make people's faces look strangely colored for instance.

Anyway, I'm off to do more research. And I have to say that every time I see a projector that might work, say via reviews, I find it's sold out/unavailable. So, I've had to start working "backwards": going to locations that sell projectors, see what they have, then see if they would meet my requirements.

Bob
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

Just letting you know I'm looking at these now. Not sure why I did not think they were in stock.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page