Dust inside Optoma HD151X DLP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2020, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dust inside Optoma HD151X DLP

Hello all,

I've recently picked up a secondhand Optoma HD151X which is in great condition, apart from the fact that there appears to be dust particles inside, either on a mirror or the inside of the lens (although I can't see anything on the lens).

Does anyone have experience of a similar problem with this model? I can't find anything online to help me take it apart. So far I've got the top panel off which gives access to the mobo, but I can't remove the mobo. There is a metal plate wrapped around it which I am unable to remove wthout warping.

It does seem that the optics are in a sealed unit and it's all very intricately put together. I wouldn't want to try and take it apart without some sort of guidance.

Intially the projector was showing a rainbow curve across the screen and a little dust. So I went at it with a can of compressed air. This has removed the rainbow band, but seems to have pushed more dust into the optics.

With a moving image one can hardly see the dust as when the image is in focus, the dust is out of focus (see attached photos). But I can see it on still images and it irritates the tinkerer in me!

If anyone has any esperience tearing down this model of projector I'd appreciate hearing from you. Similarly if anyone has any general tips for dealing wiith issues like this (which surely must be fairly common) then please don't be shy.

Thanks in advance for all contributions.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20200627211400.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2749920   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20200627211347.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2749922  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2020, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibLeigh View Post
Hello all,

I've recently picked up a secondhand Optoma HD151X which is in great condition, apart from the fact that there appears to be dust particles inside, either on a mirror or the inside of the lens (although I can't see anything on the lens).

Does anyone have experience of a similar problem with this model? I can't find anything online to help me take it apart. So far I've got the top panel off which gives access to the mobo, but I can't remove the mobo. There is a metal plate wrapped around it which I am unable to remove wthout warping.

It does seem that the optics are in a sealed unit and it's all very intricately put together. I wouldn't want to try and take it apart without some sort of guidance.

Intially the projector was showing a rainbow curve across the screen and a little dust. So I went at it with a can of compressed air. This has removed the rainbow band, but seems to have pushed more dust into the optics.

With a moving image one can hardly see the dust as when the image is in focus, the dust is out of focus (see attached photos). But I can see it on still images and it irritates the tinkerer in me!

If anyone has any esperience tearing down this model of projector I'd appreciate hearing from you. Similarly if anyone has any general tips for dealing wiith issues like this (which surely must be fairly common) then please don't be shy.

Thanks in advance for all contributions.

Leigh
DO NOT BLOW COMPRESSED AIR INTO THE PROJECTOR!
OR CLEAN THE LENS.

Maybe Optoma has a cleaning service for projectors, get in touch with them.

If not then you'll have to open the light path and clear of debris.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+clean+service
post #3 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yup.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, as I admit, using the compressed air made it worse. A lesson to me to ignore the dozens of youtube videos who suggest doing that. I will speak to a projector repair company to get a quote for repairs.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, as I admit, using the compressed air made it worse. A lesson to me to ignore the dozens of youtube videos who suggest doing that. I will speak to a projector repair company to get a quote for repairs.

Cheers
Here's an article on removing dust from a Benq:

https://www.projectorjunkies.com/ce-...ce-ac-cf-82-w/ (use google Chrome and translate for language of choice)

It's quite a process, and you run the risk of damaging the machine, OTOH, repair costs are likely to exceed replacement costs.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, many thanks for posting that link! I migt be tempted into trying disassembly, but the inside of the HD151X isn't as neat. It's an intricately put together puzzle box. I know my limits and without some kind of teardown for this specific model, I'm not risking it. I'll wait for cleaning quotes and if they are too expensive, I'll just live with it. Many thanks for your help.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Hey, many thanks for posting that link! I migt be tempted into trying disassembly, but the inside of the HD151X isn't as neat. It's an intricately put together puzzle box. I know my limits and without some kind of teardown for this specific model, I'm not risking it. I'll wait for cleaning quotes and if they are too expensive, I'll just live with it. Many thanks for your help.

There's this:

But I understand the situation.

Anyways, check out the other videos by the same author, as he covers other Optoma projectors as well.

Last edited by DunMunro; 06-28-2020 at 02:37 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that! I did see that video, but unfortunately the HD141X has a much simpler layout. The HD151X has a horizontal mobo laid on top that I can't see how to remove. I will check his other videos though, many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
cleaning , dlp maintenance , dust blob , HD151X , Optoma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page