I hate my HT3550. Other options at a similar price? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Russell Burrows
  • 1 Post By dreamer
  • 2 Post By dbpaddler
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I hate my HT3550. Other options at a similar price?

I'm tired of troubleshooting the firmware problems with my HT3550 involving random dimming, half screen glitches, and the insane fan noise mounted up high in my (hotter) vaulted ceiling. Throwing in the towel on that unit.

Is there a comparable projector that has more vertical lens shift to minimize my keystone use? I'd also love to have a bit of horizontal lens shift to not have to redo my universal projector mount. I remember seeing Epson had something comparable to the HT3550 that might be a little brighter for my living room environment.

If anyone could list a few model options for me to research, it would be greatly appreciated!
Jayls5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
I'm tired of troubleshooting the firmware problems with my HT3550 involving random dimming, half screen glitches, and the insane fan noise mounted up high in my (hotter) vaulted ceiling. Throwing in the towel on that unit.

Is there a comparable projector that has more vertical lens shift to minimize my keystone use? I'd also love to have a bit of horizontal lens shift to not have to redo my universal projector mount. I remember seeing Epson had something comparable to the HT3550 that might be a little brighter for my living room environment.

If anyone could list a few model options for me to research, it would be greatly appreciated!

Can you provide the dimensions of your room and screen size?

Any projector is going to have issues if you allow hot air to pool near the projector.

You might be referring to the HC3200/3800.
DunMunro is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
I'm tired of troubleshooting the firmware problems with my HT3550 involving random dimming, half screen glitches, and the insane fan noise mounted up high in my (hotter) vaulted ceiling. Throwing in the towel on that unit.

Is there a comparable projector that has more vertical lens shift to minimize my keystone use? I'd also love to have a bit of horizontal lens shift to not have to redo my universal projector mount. I remember seeing Epson had something comparable to the HT3550 that might be a little brighter for my living room environment.

If anyone could list a few model options for me to research, it would be greatly appreciated!
Well, none of the Epsons are 4k -- they accept a 4k input but throw away half the pixels before putting a double 1080P image on screen. So in this price range, DLP is the only 4k game in town. None of them have horizontal lens shift that I recall except the Viewsonic X100-4K (only 1200 lumens), the JVC LX-UH1B (2000 lumens), and the Benq HT5550 (1800 lumens). The others are all above the $3,000 price limit for this forum. None of these lumen numbers really scream "living room" level of brightness.


The JVC LX-NZ3B is 3000 lumens laser but is $3K-$4K. The NEC P506QL and BenQ LK952 are 5000 lumen lasers but $4k-$5k price range.


Finding a mounting solution that didn't require horizontal lens shift would open up your options in this price range a lot.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=%24&sz=15#top

*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
dreamer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Can you provide the dimensions of your room and screen size?

Any projector is going to have issues if you allow hot air to pool near the projector.

You might be referring to the HC3200/3800.
Approx 12 ft projector distance from screen. Approx 9.5 ft projector height, and the top of the screen is about 2.5 ft lower. 120" screen.

I had a W1070, and it wasn't as loud as this one with the same setup and had much better input lag. I loved that thing. Not sure what the deal is, but the HT3500 has been a POS for me. I can't even use bright modes without dim scenes randomly adjusting light levels levels for no reason. This forces me to use the cinema mode which normally lowers fan noise, but that leads to the fluctuating fan output in the hot environment.
Jayls5 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
To give an idea of the setup:



Ignore the incorrect positioning and keystone. I'm in the process of replacing cords and about to pull the projector down.
Jayls5 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tamaulipas Mexico
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Red face

I do not know if this helps but i used a long extension projector mount to get the projector away from the ceiling heat and to avoid keystone and i redid my diy spandex screen with newer and better spandex.

Got a lg hu70la in batcave and in combination with new 135 inch screen its wowzer on 4k, wowzer on older 1080p 720p and really old 480p .


And my wife who untill yesterday was a oled adherent now wants a 135 inch screen diy spandex.
Sigh its a lot of work building a batcave and now i get to do it again.
DunMunro likes this.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
Russell Burrows is online now  
post #7 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
Approx 12 ft projector distance from screen. Approx 9.5 ft projector height, and the top of the screen is about 2.5 ft lower. 120" screen.

I had a W1070, and it wasn't as loud as this one with the same setup and had much better input lag. I loved that thing. Not sure what the deal is, but the HT3500 has been a POS for me. I can't even use bright modes without dim scenes randomly adjusting light levels levels for no reason. This forces me to use the cinema mode which normally lowers fan noise, but that leads to the fluctuating fan output in the hot environment.
A simple fix for hot air pooling is a standing fan, such as this:

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic.../dp/B07BNGPWT4

tilt the fan upward and aim it at the projector.

There are ceiling mounts that have long extensions so that you won't have to use keystone corrections and these would bring the projector into cooler air. Such as:

https://smile.amazon.com/Extendable-.../dp/B07FPT8JWG

There have been some recent firmware upgrades that might fix some of the issues with the HT3550, How long have you had it and what firmware version is it reporting?

You can get Dynamic Iris or Smarteco light pumping effects in dark scenes, when the light levels in the scene fluctuate, and some times these fluctuations aren't always apparent when viewing the scene. The DI on an Epson will probably respond the same.

Anyways, the HC3200/3800 probably has enough lens shift to fit your screen height and current projector mount, but there have been issues with uneven focus when used beyond moderate levels of lens shift. Nominal limits are +/- 60% vertical and +/- 28% horizontal shift (this reduces as vertical shift increases). As noted above it's not a true 4K projector, but it is HDR compatible.

Last edited by DunMunro; 06-28-2020 at 05:33 PM.
DunMunro is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
Approx 12 ft projector distance from screen. Approx 9.5 ft projector height, and the top of the screen is about 2.5 ft lower. 120" screen.

I had a W1070, and it wasn't as loud as this one with the same setup and had much better input lag. I loved that thing. Not sure what the deal is, but the HT3500 has been a POS for me. I can't even use bright modes without dim scenes randomly adjusting light levels levels for no reason. This forces me to use the cinema mode which normally lowers fan noise, but that leads to the fluctuating fan output in the hot environment.
Honestly, that looks like you could solve several problems without too much trouble. A down-pipe mount extension would get any projector away from the ceiling heat and eliminate the need for keystone correction. You have plenty of room to shift the screen left or right to avoid needed horizontal lens shift. What lamp mode have you been using on the HT3550 ? SmartECO or full ? SmartECO on my TK800 is unusable because the lamp dimming is annoyingly noticeable. I have had to use full Normal lamp, which makes it a bit louder than my W1070 was, but it needs to be quite a bit further away from the screen so it is no louder from seating position. You might also consider mounting with a 1' down-pipe and further from the screen. At the 12'10" limits for distance for your 120" screen, the HT3550 will be lower, further from the heat pooling at the ridge beam, eliminate keystone, and be quieter. I understand why you went for the HT3550 since it was one of the few that could be mounted exactly where the W1070 was, but almost any other projector will require moving the mount, so might as well try the HT3550 in a lower position before replacing it. My TK800 could be 14' in your room and might be low enough hung from one of your decorative beams with no down-pipe needed.


I have not used one, but this mount has always intrigued me. It allows quite a bit of up, down and side to side positioning range.




*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds

Last edited by dreamer; 06-28-2020 at 05:41 PM.
dreamer is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
I'm tired of troubleshooting the firmware problems with my HT3550 involving random dimming, half screen glitches, and the insane fan noise mounted up high in my (hotter) vaulted ceiling. Throwing in the towel on that unit.

Is there a comparable projector that has more vertical lens shift to minimize my keystone use? I'd also love to have a bit of horizontal lens shift to not have to redo my universal projector mount. I remember seeing Epson had something comparable to the HT3550 that might be a little brighter for my living room environment.

If anyone could list a few model options for me to research, it would be greatly appreciated!
First of all don't use keystone.

The issues with the Benq should be fixable. Every projector has it's quirks.

You shouldn't use it in a heated area.

The issue with the HT3800 and focus issues have been noted already, but the Benq will look better.

Something like the Optoma UHD50/51A is said to be much quieter. The Benq does have slightly better blacks, but it less sharp and less bright.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Well, none of the Epsons are 4k -- they accept a 4k input but throw away half the pixels before putting a double 1080P image on screen. So in this price range, DLP is the only 4k game in town. None of them have horizontal lens shift that I recall except the Viewsonic X100-4K (only 1200 lumens), the JVC LX-UH1B (2000 lumens), and the Benq HT5550 (1800 lumens). The others are all above the $3,000 price limit for this forum. None of these lumen numbers really scream "living room" level of brightness.


The JVC LX-NZ3B is 3000 lumens laser but is $3K-$4K. The NEC P506QL and BenQ LK952 are 5000 lumen lasers but $4k-$5k price range.


Finding a mounting solution that didn't require horizontal lens shift would open up your options in this price range a lot.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=%24&sz=15#top
Where did you get the lumens for the X100 4K? It claims 2900 lumens and I don't even think they have been released. Also the HT5550 does not have 1800 lumens.

This Epson's 4K is not 4K has been debunked:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58821002

There is more to 4K resolution then just the panel technology involved. Many factors contribute to sharpness/detail perception like lenses, visual acuity, the source, the application, etc.

Unless the screen is overly large and or sitting too close the Epsons are sharp enough. With OP's 120" from 12' I don't think this presents a problem.

More importantly, resolution is not the primary improvement when it comes to 4K HDR. It's the grading, HDR effects, followed by color, then resolution. The other aspects of what makes a good looking picture also don't change, aka contrast, motion, etc.
noob00224 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Member
 
tarzan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1593445883427.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2750652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
Approx 12 ft projector distance from screen. Approx 9.5 ft projector height, and the top of the screen is about 2.5 ft lower. 120" screen.

I had a W1070, and it wasn't as loud as this one with the same setup and had much better input lag. I loved that thing. Not sure what the deal is, but the HT3500 has been a POS for me. I can't even use bright modes without dim scenes randomly adjusting light levels levels for no reason. This forces me to use the cinema mode which normally lowers fan noise, but that leads to the fluctuating fan output in the hot environment.

I had a W1070 for many years and had my sight set on the HT3550 for months, before pulling the trigger on an Epson HC3800 instead. I think you will be happy with this Epson, as I am. I have a very small room (10.5 ft, from wall to wall) so I have very limited options if I want to project 95-100in image. That's why the W1070 worked out very well and I was aiming for the an HT3550 upgrade for that reason. However, after reading about all the issues related to the HT3550 and how dim it is, I decided to go with the Epson 3800 and I could make it fit in my space, just barely but it would work. Overall impression: it's very bright and colors are vibrant, despite the fact that it doesn't cover the DCI-P3 color space. It's quite loud in full power lamp mode but I don't need to use that because it's more than bright enough in Eco (which is is quieter than the W1070, also using in Eco mode). It offers much more flexibility with both H and V lens shifting capabilities. I remember how hard it was to mount and align the W1070 and after getting a taste of this, I don't think I can go back to anything without lens shift in both directions. I think my Epson 3800 is not very shaft, at least not evenly across the screen, at its widest zoom, which I need to get the full image on my current 100" screen. If I adjust the focus to get sharp images in some areas, at least one or two corners are a little out of focus. As a photographer, I understand zoom lenses are weakest their extreme ends, even my very expensive camera lenses (each can cost way more than this projector) also have this issue (although to a lesser extent). My solution was to zoom out a little bit (and lose a couple of inches in image size) to avoid the most extreme end of the lens, and adjust the focus. Overall, I'm happy with the decision to go with this Epson, you may want to look into and consider this one.


Last edited by tarzan1234; 06-29-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Add photo
tarzan1234 is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 06-29-2020, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
First of all don't use keystone.

The issues with the Benq should be fixable. Every projector has it's quirks.

You shouldn't use it in a heated area.

The issue with the HT3800 and focus issues have been noted already, but the Benq will look better.

Something like the Optoma UHD50/51A is said to be much quieter. The Benq does have slightly better blacks, but it less sharp and less bright.




Where did you get the lumens for the X100 4K? It claims 2900 lumens and I don't even think they have been released. Also the HT5550 does not have 1800 lumens.

This Epson's 4K is not 4K has been debunked:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58821002

There is more to 4K resolution then just the panel technology involved. Many factors contribute to sharpness/detail perception like lenses, visual acuity, the source, the application, etc.

Unless the screen is overly large and or sitting too close the Epsons are sharp enough. With OP's 120" from 12' I don't think this presents a problem.

More importantly, resolution is not the primary improvement when it comes to 4K HDR. It's the grading, HDR effects, followed by color, then resolution. The other aspects of what makes a good looking picture also don't change, aka contrast, motion, etc.
You have a bizarre definition of "debunked". One person's opinion that the difference in resolution between 4 million pixel Epson images and 8 million pixel DLP images means nothing. Especially since the person he was quoting made the point that the clarity and detail of the Benq HT5550 image was superior. There is ZERO factual information on actual tests that claims the Epson produces all 8 million pixels of a 4K image on the screen. ZERO. It is impossible, since the Epson does not even ATTEMPT to produce 8 million pixel images. Only an idiot would try to claim the Epson puts all 8 million pixels on screen. Don't mistake opinions for facts. Every rational person agrees that the Epsons cannot show the full 8 million pixels in a 4K image -- the hardware is not capable of it.



You can argue all you want that there is more to an image than resolution, or that sitting far enough away will make the difference in resolution moot, or that the overall image of the Epson is more satisfying in a bat cave than any of the DLPs, and I wouldn't disagree ... but since this OP is looking at a living room environment with WHITE WALLS, clearly contrast is not his main concern and he should not throw away the resolution advantage when he will not benefit from the contrast advantage that is the only thing the Epson has.
trd21977 likes this.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
dreamer is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
dbpaddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post
Attachment 2750652





I had a W1070 for many years and had my sight set on the HT3550 for months, before pulling the trigger on an Epson HC3800 instead. I think you will be happy with this Epson, as I am. I have a very small room (10.5 ft, from wall to wall) so I have very limited options if I want to project 95-100in image. That's why the W1070 worked out very well and I was aiming for the an HT3550 upgrade for that reason. However, after reading about all the issues related to the HT3550 and how dim it is, I decided to go with the Epson 3800 and I could make it fit in my space, just barely but it would work. Overall impression: it's very bright and colors are vibrant, despite the fact that it doesn't cover the DCI-P3 color space. It's quite loud in full power lamp mode but I don't need to use that because it's more than bright enough in Eco (which is is quieter than the W1070, also using in Eco mode). It offers much more flexibility with both H and V lens shifting capabilities. I remember how hard it was to mount and align the W1070 and after getting a taste of this, I don't think I can go back to anything without lens shift in both directions. I think my Epson 3800 is not very shaft, at least not evenly across the screen, at its widest zoom, which I need to get the full image on my current 100" screen. If I adjust the focus to get sharp images in some areas, at least one or two corners are a little out of focus. As a photographer, I understand zoom lenses are weakest their extreme ends, even my very expensive camera lenses (each can cost way more than this projector) also have this issue (although to a lesser extent). My solution was to zoom out a little bit (and lose a couple of inches in image size) to avoid the most extreme end of the lens, and adjust the focus. Overall, I'm happy with the decision to go with this Epson, you may want to look into and consider this one.
With that Chief pipe mount you can go to Lowes or home depot and get an extension pipe at a fraction of the cost of their specific ones. I painted my one with flat black grill paint. You wouldn't know it wasn't the one from Chief. Cast iron pipe probably isn't a bad look either with that ceiling. A little industrial looking, but a very simple mount setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
tarzan1234 and sparky7 like this.
dbpaddler is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
You have a bizarre definition of "debunked". One person's opinion that the difference in resolution between 4 million pixel Epson images and 8 million pixel DLP images means nothing. Especially since the person he was quoting made the point that the clarity and detail of the Benq HT5550 image was superior. There is ZERO factual information on actual tests that claims the Epson produces all 8 million pixels of a 4K image on the screen. ZERO. It is impossible, since the Epson does not even ATTEMPT to produce 8 million pixel images. Only an idiot would try to claim the Epson puts all 8 million pixels on screen. Don't mistake opinions for facts. Every rational person agrees that the Epsons cannot show the full 8 million pixels in a 4K image -- the hardware is not capable of it.



You can argue all you want that there is more to an image than resolution, or that sitting far enough away will make the difference in resolution moot, or that the overall image of the Epson is more satisfying in a bat cave than any of the DLPs, and I wouldn't disagree ... but since this OP is looking at a living room environment with WHITE WALLS, clearly contrast is not his main concern and he should not throw away the resolution advantage when he will not benefit from the contrast advantage that is the only thing the Epson has.
What is the point of having extra resolution if you're too far away to notice it? People watch movies, not specifications.

It's more nuanced then that just the type of 4K technology. I went into more details in the previous post, maybe you should read it again. But I think you just glazed over, it as you did with the linked thread where you said the previous poster claimed the 4K DLP looked better. How can it look better if you're from a normal viewing distance. From a regular distance the Epson has a better picture quality. Also I see you've been on this forum a while. Surely you've heard of influencers, maybe that's why some users make these kinds of claims.


As far as I can tell there is only one wall. It's also not clear if OP uses the projector with lights on.

LE:
I can't find the review of the HT5550 vs. 5050UB review that the quote saying the Benq looks better from clarity and detail. But I do remember the reviewer had an 160" (can't remember if white or AT) screen in a room with dark grey walls. With the Benq putting ~800 lumens and Epson with 1400, both with filters, off, and Benq having ~700-1000:1 native contrast, 3000:1 with dynamic lamp and 6000:1 with iris, while the Epson has 4000:1 native and 35 000:1 dynamic, I have a hard time believing that the Epson, on that screen in that room would look worse than the Benq. Unless you sit very close to the screen it's not a problem with clarity and detail. Having higher contrast/lower black level and higher color brightness/pop would add a lot to picture quality. The Epson will BTFO the Benq in that room IMO.

Last edited by noob00224; Yesterday at 09:36 AM.
noob00224 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
Member
 
tarzan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
With that Chief pipe mount you can go to Lowes or home depot and get an extension pipe at a fraction of the cost of their specific ones. I painted my one with flat black grill paint. You wouldn't know it wasn't the one from Chief. Cast iron pipe probably isn't a bad look either with that ceiling. A little industrial looking, but a very simple mount setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks. good suggestion and I did consider that option but ended up picking this one up for very little money (12 or 15 bucks) in used-like new condition, shipped to my door. It looked new, and the only difference I could tell was that it came in bubble wrap, not the original Chief packaging. I did the same for the mount and ceiling flange as well. I would never pay the full price for any of these either.

tarzan1234 is online now  
post #15 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
dbpaddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post
Thanks. good suggestion and I did consider that option but ended up picking this one up for very little money (12 or 15 bucks) in used-like new condition, shipped to my door. It looked new, and the only difference I could tell was that it came in bubble wrap, not the original Chief packaging. I did the same for the mount and ceiling flange as well. I would never pay the full price for any of these either.
Yeah I never buy new. There's always a used or open box to be found. Wasn't sure the actual length needed, but figured typical long mounts wouldn't cover the distance needed for that ceiling to take out keystone.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
dbpaddler is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
I'm tired of troubleshooting the firmware problems with my HT3550 involving random dimming, half screen glitches, and the insane fan noise mounted up high in my (hotter) vaulted ceiling. Throwing in the towel on that unit.

Is there a comparable projector that has more vertical lens shift to minimize my keystone use? I'd also love to have a bit of horizontal lens shift to not have to redo my universal projector mount. I remember seeing Epson had something comparable to the HT3550 that might be a little brighter for my living room environment.

If anyone could list a few model options for me to research, it would be greatly appreciated!
I wonder if you have one of the earlier 3550's? I ask as I got mine when it first went on sale back around I think last April or so...? And it had many of the issues you're describing. A few other people with first runs also did as well. I replaced it for a new production run and it became hands down, the best PJ I've ever owned.

IIRC you can tell your production date by looking at the retail box the PJ came in.

Last edited by yadfgp; Today at 08:23 PM.
yadfgp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off