Best route for buying a new projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 2 Post By skylarlove1999

post #1 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best route for buying a new projector?

I'd like to pick up an Epson 5050ub this week - I haven't bought a new PJ in 7 years, so wondering if there are recommended routes these days, based on returnability, quick shipping, product handled well, etc.
I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the end product, based on research - but have experienced before the disappointment of getting a defective product and going through the hassle of trying to return it. The last place I bought from was Projector People, and they did great and the PJ was in fine shape. But now, the 5050ub is available at Bestbuy, Amazon, or directly from Epson, etc. so there are more options.

My biggest fear is getting a product with an issue and not being able to easily exchange it. Any wisdom from the forum on this?

This is NOT intended to be a thread about price, or to bash a vendor. If you've had a great experience or if there is any consensus on having great experiences, would love to hear them.
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO2 View Post
I'd like to pick up an Epson 5050ub this week - I haven't bought a new PJ in 7 years, so wondering if there are recommended routes these days, based on returnability, quick shipping, product handled well, etc.
I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the end product, based on research - but have experienced before the disappointment of getting a defective product and going through the hassle of trying to return it. The last place I bought from was Projector People, and they did great and the PJ was in fine shape. But now, the 5050ub is available at Bestbuy, Amazon, or directly from Epson, etc. so there are more options.

My biggest fear is getting a product with an issue and not being able to easily exchange it. Any wisdom from the forum on this?

This is NOT intended to be a thread about price, or to bash a vendor. If you've had a great experience or if there is any consensus on having great experiences, would love to hear them.
THANKS!
Personally I always enjoy using other people's money free of charge, so Best Buy has 24 month interest free financing on purchases like a projector. Depending upon your member level with Best Buy you may have 45 days where you can exchange a defective product for a new one via Best Buy. After that time period you will be dealing directly with Epson. Some other retailers also offer a similar window. If you return the projector because you just don't enjoy the image quality (which I highly doubt) most retailers have a restocking fee of 10%-15% which is not insignificant.

Epson customer service has been excellent in resolving any issues with my Epson projectors. I bought the Epson 6500 back in 2008. I have also owned a 5030,5040, and now 6050. I had some power supply issues with my 5040 but Epson went above and beyond in resolving my issues.

I am a little biased towards Epson as you can tell LOL. Keep in mind when buying on Amazon it may or may not be an authorized dealer selling the projector. Epson will only honor the 2 year warranty if you make a purchase from an authorized dealer so you want to ensure the dealer is authorized to sell Epson projectors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
srees304 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Personally I always enjoy using other people's money free of charge, so Best Buy has 24 month interest free financing on purchases like a projector. Depending upon your member level with Best Buy you may have 45 days where you can exchange a defective product for a new one via Best Buy. After that time period you will be dealing directly with Epson. Some other retailers also offer a similar window. If you return the projector because you just don't enjoy the image quality (which I highly doubt) most retailers have a restocking fee of 10%-15% which is not insignificant.

Epson customer service has been excellent in resolving any issues with my Epson projectors. I bought the Epson 6500 back in 2008. I have also owned a 5030,5040, and now 6050. I had some power supply issues with my 5040 but Epson went above and beyond in resolving my issues.

I am a little biased towards Epson as you can tell LOL. Keep in mind when buying on Amazon it may or may not be an authorized dealer selling the projector. Epson will only honor the 2 year warranty if you make a purchase from an authorized dealer so you want to ensure the dealer is authorized to sell Epson projectors.

Thanks for the input!
I have an account with Bestbuy, don't need the financing, but the return/exchange thing for 45 days seems great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input!
I have an account with Bestbuy, don't need the financing, but the return/exchange thing for 45 days seems great.
Return/exchange period is from 15 to 45 days. They have 15% restocking fee for projector returns. Please see chart for the correct number of days for your service level.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Whew, that 15% restocking is steep!
Another consideration -

Is there any info on the age of the product the different distributors ship? I'm thinking mostly about updated firmware.
When I went to by my BenQ7000, I had just about pulled the trigger when there was a flaw discovered in the 1.01 - 1.02 firmware. BenQ corrected the flaw and announced that projectors with 1.03 were being distributed...but it was almost impossible to find out whether a seller had the updated ones. Ie. you could call and ask, and they would say, "I THINK so...". You had to ship the projector to BenQ to get the firmware updated - no way to do it remotely. i eventually bought at Benq directly for $300 more just to insure I didn't have to go through that hassle.

i have SKIMMED through the gigantic 5050ub thread looking for firmware issues, but haven't seen any. Anyone want to chime in on things like this that would affect where one would purchase from?
THANKS AGAIN!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I highly recommend Crutchfield. Outstanding service and 60-day return policy (no restocking fees, you pay return shipping, "For most returns, Crutchfield can issue you an UPS Authorized Return Shipping (ARS) label for a flat fee of $10 per package").

post #7 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
I highly recommend Crutchfield. Outstanding service and 60-day return policy (no restocking fees, you pay return shipping, "For most returns, Crutchfield can issue you an UPS Authorized Return Shipping (ARS) label for a flat fee of $10 per package").
Thanks! I've never bought anything from them, though I see their ads all the time and know they are a very reputable company.
I would think there would have to be some restrictions on bulb use or hours used in the case of projectors, though. A blanket 60 day return seems like it would be hard to manage fiscally.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I've never bought anything from them, though I see their ads all the time and know they are a very reputable company.

I would think there would have to be some restrictions on bulb use or hours used in the case of projectors, though. A blanket 60 day return seems like it would be hard to manage fiscally.
Crutchfield does have a restocking fee if a item has been heavily used which is a pretty subjective term so I have no idea what their criteria is but I do love Crutchfield as well

DigitalAV and ng4ever like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 743
I used Crutchfield to buy my projector without any issue....thou I did not have to deal with return or service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page