Epson apparently doesn't produce the projector I want? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson apparently doesn't produce the projector I want?

I've had an Epson HC3200 installed ceiling mounted for a few months now, and have struggled with having consistent focus. Finally installed a Silver Ticket 142" screen at 184" throw so I could verify it wasn't due to a lumpy wall.
Still cannot get good focus across the whole screen. Epson has sent me two replacement units, and the issue is there with all of them. I even unmounted the projector, centered it perfectly on the screen with no keystone or lens shift, and duplicated the problem.

A tech finally called me today and essentially said they don't think they produce a projector that can give me 4K with sharp focus across the whole screen at mid zoom. While this meets the specs of the 3200 and looks totally fine with movies, it is unusable for computer work because text cannot be in focus in the middle and the corners. And with COVID...I'm working from home on this screen several hours a day.

They want to refund my money and have me send it back. I need to know if I'm asking too much, and if there is a projector that can do this at a reasonable price point yet? I'm honestly a bit shocked that they couldn't even recommend a higher model of theirs that would do better, as they said they all essentially use the same technology and setup, just with varying contrast/brightness/etc.

I'm a bit nervous to order something else now from someone with less stellar customer service and get stuck with it! I'd like something with the clarity to do computer work, and the contrast to still do great for 4K HDR movies in a blacked out theater room.

Thumbnails are from panel alignment, with center in focus and top right blurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TabletopCenteredNoShiftCenter.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	2750840   Click image for larger version

Name:	TabletopCenteredNoShiftTopRight.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2750842  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
All projectors have different focus uniformity; have you done research on what the reviews have reported for this model? typically a better lens resolves focus uniformity problems. Sony uses some trickery in high end models to improve edge to edge sharpness. You can also try panel alignment.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For small computer print your going to have better luck with a DLP projector. No convergence issues, better pixel fill. Benq makes some budget projectors with excellent reputations for sharpness. I have worked on a 1080p Benq with my pc and the text was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1498 Post(s)
Liked: 784
My UHD50 and W1070 have no problems with even focus over 145-150in screens. The UHD50 would work well as a monitor on a 142in screen.

If you are mainly using it as a monitor check out an Epson HC1040 refurb or their similar WUXGA business projectors.

In lieu of the HC3200/3800 I would look at the ZH403, ZH406, GT1090HDR or ZU406.

The TK800M would be a good choice too (check out the deals found subforum).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page