Friends and Respected Veterans on this forum; I need help!!
I am new to the forum in terms of posting but have followed thousands of posts from this great community for more than a decade.
I am looking to seek help from you in deciding between the following:
Xiaomi 1080p Mijia ALPD:
OR Optoma's new 4 segment (RGBY) lasers 1090hdr/ HZ39HDR (1080p 0.65 dlp)
The things I care about:
- * Contrast (Dynamics) of the picture - I have heard great things about the Xiaomi lasers punchy picture but on the other hand optoma has 1500+ native contrast plus "Extreme Black" although not sure if it really helps
* Black levels - I understand they won't be JVC but dlps but how good or bad are they really? compared to, lets say benq w2700/5700 vs using extreme black on optoma for example
* Its going to be dark viewing only for me but not a dark walls - i plan on using a negative gain ALR screen to offset some of the stray light around in a completely dark room so would like to get as much black levels back as much as possible. Screen size will not exceed 133 inches 16:9 and won't be below 110 inches diagonal.
* Unfortunately, UST will not work for me, regular short throw would though. Also I'd like to keep the projector to not be bulky hence not considering the Sony's, Epson 4050/5050, JVC etc. -
* Epson 3800 may be an options but i prefer laser; I like LG 70U 4k led too but black levels are bad. Feel free to guide.
* I also like Xiaomi Wemax C700 potential given that Xiaomi's improve contrasts of the DLP chips but its 3000+ and i have not found any reviews online. It claims 20k dynamic contrast which no other xiaomi has claimed and they are pretty spot on their contrast numbers. Its not too bulky as well.
* Since optomas are 4 segment and high brightness; i am open to suggestions for very high quality color filters to improve color gamut close to P3 and improve black levels by calibrating the brighter image modes. My screen size will not be more than 133 (most likely 120 inches).
* some light gaming but mostly looking for streaming service utilization.
The things I don't care about
* Since all of my options don't have auto-tone mapping (really puzzling except for LG and JVC no one is seriously working on it), I would like to see what my options are for WCG with SDR (maybe using Vertex or similar device?) - I am all for wide color gamut in 2020 containers but HDR is just too dim most of the time.
* speaking of a device like HD fury - ideas to use dolby vision although not sure if it will help with tonemapping.
* At the moment, 4k res is not a priority - may add a darbee processor for some additional crispness though it doesn't work with HDR.
Lengthy post, excited to finally post on here and getting some direct feedback.