Help: Optoma 1090hdr/ HZ1090hdr (Laser) vs Xiaomi Mijia 2400lmns 1080p ALPD Laser - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Exclamation Help: Optoma 1090hdr/ HZ39hdr (Laser) vs Xiaomi Mijia 2400lmns 1080p ALPD Laser

Friends and Respected Veterans on this forum; I need help!!

I am new to the forum in terms of posting but have followed thousands of posts from this great community for more than a decade.

I am looking to seek help from you in deciding between the following:

Xiaomi 1080p Mijia ALPD:

OR Optoma's new 4 segment (RGBY) lasers 1090hdr/ HZ39HDR (1080p 0.65 dlp)

The things I care about:

• * Contrast (Dynamics) of the picture - I have heard great things about the Xiaomi lasers punchy picture but on the other hand optoma has 1500+ native contrast plus "Extreme Black" although not sure if it really helps
    * Black levels - I understand they won't be JVC but dlps but how good or bad are they really? compared to, lets say benq w2700/5700 vs using extreme black on optoma for example
    * Its going to be dark viewing only for me but not a dark walls - i plan on using a negative gain ALR screen to offset some of the stray light around in a completely dark room so would like to get as much black levels back as much as possible. Screen size will not exceed 133 inches 16:9 and won't be below 110 inches diagonal.
    * Unfortunately, UST will not work for me, regular short throw would though. Also I'd like to keep the projector to not be bulky hence not considering the Sony's, Epson 4050/5050, JVC etc. -
    * Epson 3800 may be an options but i prefer laser; I like LG 70U 4k led too but black levels are bad. Feel free to guide.
    * I also like Xiaomi Wemax C700 potential given that Xiaomi's improve contrasts of the DLP chips but its 3000+ and i have not found any reviews online. It claims 20k dynamic contrast which no other xiaomi has claimed and they are pretty spot on their contrast numbers. Its not too bulky as well.
    * Since optomas are 4 segment and high brightness; i am open to suggestions for very high quality color filters to improve color gamut close to P3 and improve black levels by calibrating the brighter image modes. My screen size will not be more than 133 (most likely 120 inches).
    * some light gaming but mostly looking for streaming service utilization.

The things I don't care about:

* Since all of my options don't have auto-tone mapping (really puzzling except for LG and JVC no one is seriously working on it), I would like to see what my options are for WCG with SDR (maybe using Vertex or similar device?) - I am all for wide color gamut in 2020 containers but HDR is just too dim most of the time.
* speaking of a device like HD fury - ideas to use dolby vision although not sure if it will help with tonemapping.
* At the moment, 4k res is not a priority - may add a darbee processor for some additional crispness though it doesn't work with HDR.

Lengthy post, excited to finally post on here and getting some direct feedback.

Regards,
XK

Last edited by XK_HT; 06-29-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Fixed the title to correct the HZ39HDR projector name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Also, one more question: Do the optomas have any issues with 24fps content? chinese products typically force content to 60FPS.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK_HT View Post
Also, one more question: Do the optomas have any issues with 24fps content? chinese products typically force content to 60FPS.
Most DLP projectors will use 60hz but typically it looks fine, especially when the source in something like a UB420 or UBP-X700 4K BD player.

The Xiaomi received an impressive review here:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

I guess the choice comes down to availability in your location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Most DLP projectors will use 60hz but typically it looks fine, especially when the source in something like a UB420 or UBP-X700 4K BD player.

The Xiaomi received an impressive review here:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

I guess the choice comes down to availability in your location.
Hi Dun, thanks yes, big fan of this reviewer. I was hoping someone could offer a second opinion on Xiaomi (Maybe an owner first hand) and also for optomas shed light on how HZ39/1090 perform since there are no reviews out there to compare and make a final decision. Particularly interested in whether the laser light source bring anything extra to the table in terms of picture quality.

What is the difference between UB420 and UB820? do both have the tone map feature? and also did they ever expand that to streaming? I thought it was just blurays?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK_HT View Post
Hi Dun, thanks yes, big fan of this reviewer. I was hoping someone could offer a second opinion on Xiaomi (Maybe an owner first hand) and also for optomas shed light on how HZ39/1090 perform since there are no reviews out there to compare and make a final decision. Particularly interested in whether the laser light source bring anything extra to the table in terms of picture quality.

What is the difference between UB420 and UB820? do both have the tone map feature? and also did they ever expand that to streaming? I thought it was just blurays?
There's a ZH403 (identical to the HZ39HDR) review here:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...-Road-Test.htm

but it's hard to draw exact comparisons between different reviewers.

The UB420 and UB820 are very similar and both have a projector optimized tone map. The HDR optimizer works for HDR streaming content (I know as I have a UB420) and the UB420 can convert some streamed SDR content to HDR. The big limitation with the UB420 is that streamed content is sent to the display at 60hz, which limits the bandwidth available for colour and bit depth, although I find that HDR 8bit 4:4:4 is tolerable (the default when bit depth is set at 12bits)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page