Need help for a first-time buyer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 5 Old Today, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help for a first-time buyer

I'm looking to buy a projector for my living room. Money is tight; I'm hoping to not spend more than $500. Space is also tight and I don't have any wiggle room around where to place the projector. It would be 12.5 feet from the wall and the projection space would be up to 54 inches by 36 inches.

I'm having trouble finding a projector in my price range that wouldn't provide a too-large image at that distance, and that wouldn't be a pain in the ass to zoom. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gunn View Post
I'm looking to buy a projector for my living room. Money is tight; I'm hoping to not spend more than $500. Space is also tight and I don't have any wiggle room around where to place the projector. It would be 12.5 feet from the wall and the projection space would be up to 54 inches by 36 inches.

I'm having trouble finding a projector in my price range that wouldn't provide a too-large image at that distance, and that wouldn't be a pain in the ass to zoom. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A screen with a width of width of 54" and height of 30" (16:9 format) is 62" diagonal. Wouldn't a TV be better?

From ~11' (lens to screen) with a 62" screen, the throw ratio required is 2.4x. Very few projector have this kind of throw ratio.

Can the projector be placed closer to the screen , in a ceiling mount?

Or where can the projector be placed?
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
In general almost everyone doing projection with a real home theater projector is 100” or larger. The way I have my room set up (room is about 10’ deep is all) is I can move my projector to change image size between 70” and 110” 16:9. If I didn’t desire the 110” size I would simply have one of the larger flat panel TVs.

There are these pico projectors / mini projectors in the 200-500 price range that are lower lumen and suitable for smaller sized screens and they are tiny and weigh about 1-2 pounds is all. They can sit on a table closer to the screen for stuff like this. I don’t know much about them and have never owned one.

You can google them and see if anything like that would work. someone may come along with information for you on them.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 706
$500 will buy you a 65" flat screen that will trounce any projector even at 10x the price especially in a untreated most likely poorly light controlled room like a living room. What kind of screen were you considering or is using a projector an attempt at a stealth type of situation where you don't want a glaring flat screen on the wall?
unretarded and noob00224 like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
75 inches and above is where you want a projector, under that a flat screen is much better and about the same price or can be about the same price.

100 inches is a good sweet spot to start, but a cheap good projector in that price range will only be 1080........

The realistic budget is in the 800 to 1 k range all in.......you need a mount, you need a screen and a long HDMI....you can get by without a mount, you can project on the wall and you can move equipment to get a cheaper shorter HDMI.

A entry level projector with a short throw distance....is around 600 bucks.........but given your screen size area I would just go flat screen.

Whats preventing you from going larger with the screen.......with a PJ its all about going big with the screen........now that cheap 70 inch 4k flat screens exist....its even more about going big with a PJ.

Squeezing a 100 inch screen in is usually possible almost anywhere.........

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-pedestal.html

Theater house build.....https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...hed-house.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page